ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Not worried about langford or iu. We still have the best player of the 2 teams in carsen edwards. Im fully expecting a sweep again this year.

After watching both games, I actually think its rather obvious Ryan Cline is the more complete and better overall player than Romeo Langford. The closer debate is Nojel Eastern or Romeo Langford, and its hard to find something Romeo does better than Nojels on ball defense.

Nowof course, this will blow casual fans minds. Youll see the typical casual fans quote this and act like its some sort of u orthodox take, but its rather accurate.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I think both teams are very unproven, but IU gets a little leeway due to their incoming recruits being evaluated as having a higher talent level/ranking. Purdue will need Cline, Boudreaux, Haarms, and Eastern to help with scoring. IU will need guys like Smith, Green, and Phinisee to score as well. You can have a successful season with 1-2 studs, but you won't go far in the tournament unless your role players step up. We will see if either team's role players have improved since last year, after a month or so of data points.
I agree. Except Smith isn't a role player. He's a big fixture in IU's offense. Plus IU also has De'Ron Davis.

Note: I hope Green transfers. Like, tomorrow.

After watching both games, I actually think its rather obvious Ryan Cline is the more complete and better overall player than Romeo Langford. The closer debate is Nojel Eastern or Romeo Langford, and its hard to find something Romeo does better than Nojels on ball defense.

Nowof course, this will blow casual fans minds. Youll see the typical casual fans quote this and act like its some sort of u orthodox take, but its rather accurate.
Troll.

Reactions: SNU0821

giphy.gif

This “hot take” is right on par with his call that Arizona was a Final Four team last year. Lulz!

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
They all 3 have looked good. But its not the non conference we worry about with those guys.

Langford shot 38% from the field in conference play last year.
Mcquaid shot 38% from the field in conference play last year.

Goins was terrible in every facet in conference play.

It takes a tremendous leap of faith to think those 3 will be great all year. **** all the noise, **** all the supposed trolling, Lets be real here.

If you had forgotten, they played on a team that had 2 lotto picks taking the large amount of the minutes and shots. You're knocking them for not adding more to a team that won the Big Ten. 2 of them weren't even starters, because they played behind those 2 lotto picks.

Langford and McQuaid didnt shoot well overall in conference, but were still both 39%+ shooters from 3. They were good for a few rebounds and a couple assists per game. Goins averaged even less minutes, because he was behind JJJ, Ward, and Bridges.

Players under Izzo typically get better each year in the program, McQuaid and Goins are Seniors. No one is saying they're all of a sudden going to become NBA level players. But so far, they've played well. Enough to be the pieces to fit in with Cash and Ward.

Now let's be real with your 10th place prediction. Cash and Ward are likely All-B1G players this season, and you're saying Henry could be a sleeper one and done. That's 10th place worthy?

If you had forgotten, they played on a team that had 2 lotto picks taking the large amount of the minutes and shots. You're knocking them for not adding more to a team that won the Big Ten. 2 of them weren't even starters, because they played behind those 2 lotto picks.

Langford and McQuaid didnt shoot well overall in conference, but were still both 39%+ shooters from 3. They were good for a few rebounds and a couple assists per game. Goins averaged even less minutes, because he was behind JJJ, Ward, and Bridges.

Players under Izzo typically get better each year in the program, McQuaid and Goins are Seniors. No one is saying they're all of a sudden going to become NBA level players. But so far, they've played well. Enough to be the pieces to fit in with Cash and Ward.

Now let's be real with your 10th place prediction. Cash and Ward are likely All-B1G players this season, and you're saying Henry could be a sleeper one and done. That's 10th place worthy?

Henry is a very real one and done. I think hes the very best B1G freshman Ive seen all year. And thats straight out.

If Izzo plays Henry 26+ mins per game in the conference slate, MSU is live. If its Langford and Mcquaid, theres just nothing there bub. I mean what do you want from me? They simply arent on the level of B1G teams.

o_O

RollLaugh
It's posts like these that prove you are way to biased to ever be taken seriously. I mean good god you're a joke.

Romeo Lamgford is 1/7 from 3

Hes 6/14 from the FT line

Hes feasting on low major defense to the tune of 85% 2 point. Thats not realistic or sustainable vs B1GB1G defenses

When that inevitably drops to 55% in conference play, how does he atone? The boy cant shoot 3s or FTs. Imean seruously, you think a 6'6 freshman is goingto be betterfrom 2 than a 7'2 senior Isaac Haas wasin conferenceplay last year?

Casual fans just are so clueless.

Isaac Haas, a 7'2 senior who only shot close to the rim, shot 62% on 2slast year.

But Romeo Langford, a 6'6 jump shooter is somehow goingto shoot 85% on 2 pointers in conference play.

Like how dumb do you have to be to believe that. The boys shooting no better than 55% from 2 in conferenceplay this year.

Casual fans just are so clueless.
Laughing

Eastern and his big bad 6ppg

Shot 41% at the foul line last year

Is sporting 1-1.5 assist to turnover ratio

At IU he wouldn't even come off the bench.

Romeo (in his first 2 collegiate games)

15.5 ppg

60% fg

2.5-1 assist to turnover ratio

This is my last post on this because clearly you're too stupid to be reasoned with.

Laughing

Eastern and his big bad 6ppg

Shot 41% at the foul line last year

Is sporting 1-1.5 assist to turnover ratio

At IU he wouldn't even come off the bench.

Romeo (in his first 2 collegiate games)

15.5 ppg

60% fg

2.5-1 assist to turnover ratio

This is my last post on this because clearly you're too stupid to be reasoned with.
yeah he's not much different from trojan. just laughably bad takes

yeah he's not much different from trojan. just laughably bad takes
Comparing Cline and McBobs defensive abilities is a lot different than comparing Romeo and Eastern as overall players. It would be like me saying Carsen Edwards and Phinisee are comparable players (obviously that's a horrible comparison).

Comparing Cline and McBobs defensive abilities is a lot different than comparing Romeo and Eastern as overall players. It would be like me saying Carsen Edwards and Phinisee are comparable players (obviously that's a horrible comparison).
No, because Phinesee actually looks to be a decent player soo far. I'm not a fan of Eastern at all, if Purdue has to rely on him offensively they will be in big trouble this year.

I dont have takes. I have stats and facts based thoughts. Its always made casual fans really mad.

I think empowering Langford without Bridges/Jackson is good for him. Got stuck in the role of a shooter, and now that he's asked to do more, he's being more aggressive. Which he obviously has had the capability of doing, he just hasn't.

Is Henry playing the 3 for you guys? Still don't understand why Purdue didn't really pursue him, would love to have him playing a Vince kind of role for us rn

"Hey Romeo is 6/14 from the line and 1/7 from 3. He cant shoot."

"OMG what a terrible take Ive decided he canshoot even though all the stats and facts pointto otherwise. What a troll disagreeing with my opinion and using facts instead."

I dont have takes. I have stats and facts based thoughts. Its always made casual fans really mad.
Like Arizona being a Final Four team last year? Your comments today are in that same ballpark. Be better.

Reactions: Jaycg15
you cherry-picked shit stats and adamantly debated that mcbob = cline from 3. literally iu version of matt

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

you cherry-picked shit stats and adamantly debated that mcbob = cline from 3. literally iu version of matt

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
Not exactly the case. You have Purdue fans calling Cline an All B10 player. Bad takes on both sides, pal.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
Stop with that trash. I said they shot the same percentage. I conceded Cline was a better shooter like two posts after my original. If I was the IU version of Matty I would be saying Cline is a terrible shooter because he is currently 27% on the season. I'm not doing that.

Not exactly the case. You have Purdue fans calling Cline an All B10 player. Bad takes on both sides, pal.
Dude, do you even read what people write or just craft them to what you want them to say. That's not remotely what he said.

Reactions: B-Westy
I watch the games too ya know? I don’t see anything that points to him being superior defensively AND the metrics back my stance up.
For one, McRoberts had more steals last year(37), than Cline has had in FOUR years(33).

McRoberts DRtg this year is 55.8 Clines is 101.8. For their careers, McRoberts is 97.8....Clines is 101.8

Another stat------Via Synergy Sports: From last year.
There have been 145 possessions that have ended with Zach’s man having the ball and either shooting or turning it over. In those possessions, Zach’s man is scoring just 0.621 points per possession. That is in the 95th percentile nationally. For comparison sake, Dakota Mathias is allowing 0.915 points per possession across 235 possessions. That is in the 34th percentile nationally. Other notable defenders:

• Jae’Sean Tate: 0.739 ppp across 268 possessions
  • Josh Reaves: 0.818 ppp across 148 possessions
  • Ethan Happ: 0.86 ppp across 178 possessions

There is more. But I'm not really a big stats guy. I used these b/c you said the metrics back your claim up. They do not.

McRoberts is a much better defender. Last year he guarded everyone from Diop to Bridges. And that was by design. When he was inserted into the line-up, IU's AdjD was 201. At the end of the year, IU sat at 51; Top in the Big 10. Not an accident, there.

I don't think there is an argument that McRoberts is a better offensive player(than Cline). But I also don't thnk there's one for CLine being a better defensive player.

Like Arizona being a Final Four team last year? Your comments today are in that same ballpark. Be better.

Everyone predicted Arizona to be a final foir team once the bracket came out. It jistified my thoughts. Something like 46% of analysts had them making the final four, provingmy thoughts in November correct. Only, they got upset like a bunch of good teams do every year

But I was provencorrect for sure by Arizona.

For one, McRoberts had more steals last year(37), than Cline has had in FOUR years(33).

McRoberts DRtg this year is 55.8 Clines is 101.8. For their careers, McRoberts is 97.8....Clines is 101.8

Another stat------Via Synergy Sports: From last year.
There have been 145 possessions that have ended with Zach’s man having the ball and either shooting or turning it over. In those possessions, Zach’s man is scoring just 0.621 points per possession. That is in the 95th percentile nationally. For comparison sake, Dakota Mathias is allowing 0.915 points per possession across 235 possessions. That is in the 34th percentile nationally. Other notable defenders:

• Jae’Sean Tate: 0.739 ppp across 268 possessions
  • Josh Reaves: 0.818 ppp across 148 possessions
  • Ethan Happ: 0.86 ppp across 178 possessions

There is more. But I'm not really a big stats guy. I used these b/c you said the metrics back your claim up. They do not.

McRoberts is a much better defender. Last year he guarded everyone from Diop to Bridges. And that was by design. When he was inserted into the line-up, IU's AdjD was 201. At the end of the year, IU sat at 51; Top in the Big 10. Not an accident, there.

I don't think there is an argument that McRoberts is a better offensive player(than Cline). But I also don't thnk there's one for CLine being a better defensive player.
Nice, well put.

Dude, do you even read what people write or just craft them to what you want them to say. That's not remotely what he said.
yeah not worth responding to.
But I also don't thnk there's one for CLine being a better defensive player.
don't have any trouble with this one. when i've watched, it's been obvious that he's a good defender. Cline was a guy teams targeted as a frosh and sophomore -- but last year was solid on-ball and effective off-ball.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
"Hey Romeo is 6/14 from the line and 1/7 from 3. He cant shoot."

"OMG what a terrible take Ive decided he canshoot even though all the stats and facts pointto otherwise. What a troll disagreeing with my opinion and using facts instead."
Romeo shot 81% from the line in HS...37% from three. But since he's struggled in his first TWO games, he can't shoot? Ok...I guess since CLine is shooting like 11% so far this year, he can't shoot either?

Your takes are just awful. I mean, everything tells me---He's trolling. But then you adamantly stand by what you say. So that just leads me to believe you're just totally fvcking stupid.

Everyone predicted Arizona to be a final foir team once the bracket came out. It jistified my thoughts. Something like 46% of analysts had them making the final four, provingmy thoughts in November correct. Only, they got upset like a bunch of good teams do every year

But I was provencorrect for sure by Arizona.
Yeah, no sane person picked Arizona to be in the Final Four.

also, I believe it's been brought up, but defensive rating is a terrible stat. we've seen it be awful with multiple purdue guys -- ray davis being the most obvious example.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
yeah not worth responding to.

don't have any trouble with this one. when i've watched, it's been obvious that he's a good defender. Cline was a guy teams targeted as a frosh and sophomore -- but last year was solid on-ball and effective off-ball.
I agree. And his numbers show that. I think Cline;s a solid defender. I just feel McRoberts is better.

also, I believe it's been brought up, but defensive rating is a terrible stat. we've seen it be awful with multiple purdue guys -- ray davis being the most obvious example.
It can be. Like I said, I'm not a big stats guy. Never have been. Just from watching, IMO MCroberts is a better defender. I mean he did have more steals last year, than Cline has had in 4 years. McRoberts was tops in the Big 10(22nd nationally) in steals percentage. Miller loves his defense. Its why he put him on guys such as Diop, Bridges, etc, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT