ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Loyola is from Illinois, sames as Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois and the other Illinois team that are from Minor conferences.
A directional school has a direction in its name. E.g. Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois are all directional schools.

There are even cases of double-directional schools Northwestern, for example.

He will indeed be out for the Purdue game. Probably out until Christmas.

The matchup between Carsen and Trent Forrest will be key then. Trent has really taken his defense up a notch, both on-ball and jumping passing lanes. Also sounds like it could be one of those games where whoever' three point shooters get hot might be the difference.

Any solid ball-handlers besides Carsen? We've been forcing a ton of turnovers so far.
Inexperienced ball handlers. Nojel Eastern and Eric hunter also handle the ball for us. I'd suspect that you'll get some points off of turnovers b/c of that inexperience. I don't think this Purdue team is ready to come into a hostile environment against an attacking team like FSU and win.

The matchup between Carsen and Trent Forrest will be key then. Trent has really taken his defense up a notch, both on-ball and jumping passing lanes. Also sounds like it could be one of those games where whoever' three point shooters get hot might be the difference.

Any solid ball-handlers besides Carsen? We've been forcing a ton of turnovers so far.
you guys are going to demolish us. not a big deal though, always had that as a loss because it's such a hard place to play

I don't think you know what a directional school is.

Big shocker there...

tenor.gif

My expectation would be that the Carsen-Forrest and Savoy-Cline matchups will go a long way to determining a winner.

Purdue will likely struggle with FSU's pressure defense. Guys like Cline and Nojel Eastern can get loose with the handle a bit.

This one might feature the tallest center combo to start a game in the country, with Haarms (7'3") and Koumadje (7'4").

Inexperienced ball handlers. Nojel Eastern and Eric hunter also handle the ball for us. I'd suspect that you'll get some points off of turnovers b/c of that inexperience. I don't think this Purdue team is ready to come into a hostile environment against an attacking team like FSU and win.

you guys are going to demolish us. not a big deal though, always had that as a loss because it's such a hard place to play

Interesting. Sounds like I'm more worried than y'all are. Depending on how the AdvoCare bracket breaks, we potentially play LSU and Nova in the two games prior to y'all. That's a hell of a slate. Guess I'm worried about some fatigue.

But we do typically play extremely well at home. Especially our shooters like Savoy.

Interesting. Sounds like I'm more worried than y'all are. Depending on how the AdvoCare bracket breaks, we potentially play LSU and Nova in the two games prior to y'all. That's a hell of a slate. Guess I'm worried about some fatigue.

But we do typically play extremely well at home. Especially our shooters like Savoy.
That's a tough stretch. Hope there's plenty of fatigue Winking

We'll learn a lot about Purdue in the Charleston Classic that starts this week. Not a murderers row by any means, but some solid teams that will test us.

Reactions: GE Nole
Carsen Edwards and Ethan Happ share B1G POW for week 1. I'm going to go way out on this limb and speculate that it's not the last time either wins the award.

For one, McRoberts had more steals last year(37), than Cline has had in FOUR years(33).

McRoberts DRtg this year is 55.8 Clines is 101.8. For their careers, McRoberts is 97.8....Clines is 101.8

Another stat------Via Synergy Sports: From last year.
There have been 145 possessions that have ended with Zach’s man having the ball and either shooting or turning it over. In those possessions, Zach’s man is scoring just 0.621 points per possession. That is in the 95th percentile nationally. For comparison sake, Dakota Mathias is allowing 0.915 points per possession across 235 possessions. That is in the 34th percentile nationally. Other notable defenders:

• Jae’Sean Tate: 0.739 ppp across 268 possessions
  • Josh Reaves: 0.818 ppp across 148 possessions
  • Ethan Happ: 0.86 ppp across 178 possessions

There is more. But I'm not really a big stats guy. I used these b/c you said the metrics back your claim up. They do not.

McRoberts is a much better defender. Last year he guarded everyone from Diop to Bridges. And that was by design. When he was inserted into the line-up, IU's AdjD was 201. At the end of the year, IU sat at 51; Top in the Big 10. Not an accident, there.

I don't think there is an argument that McRoberts is a better offensive player(than Cline). But I also don't thnk there's one for CLine being a better defensive player.
See @NC_Trojan10 , this is how you argue a point.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
At the risk of giving Iowa fans here a coronary--Jeff Sagarin

1 Nebraska
7 Ohio State
9 Indiana
11 Purdue
15 Michigan State
25 Illinois
29 Michigan
35 Rutgers
39 Northwestern
41 Minnesota
55 Maryland
58 Penn State
67 Wisconsin
119 Iowa

Yes, Rutgers will give Iowa a coronary. Rutgers is a flaming bag of cow dung.

Reactions: KisteK and jwardelt
KenPom update 11/12/18:

13 - MSU
15 - Purdue

22 - Wisconsin
26 - Indiana
27 - Michigan

32 - OSU
33 - Nebraska
34 - Maryland
35 - PSU
38 - Iowa

46 - Northwestern
48 - Minn

73 - Illinois

119 - Rutgers

B1G must do better winning key OOC game this year so when we beat up on eachother they are Quadrant 1 wins.

Reactions: theetommyt
A directional school has a direction in its name. E.g. Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois are all directional schools.

There are even cases of double-directional schools Northwestern, for example.
then I guess that leaves out UWGB then doesn't it. and that's exactly what jwardt called them.

Are you suggesting that the refs screwed Iowa? Iowa attempted 29 more free throws than Green Bay
if you watched the game the Iowa players were fouled in the act of shooting. that ussually results in FT's. don't foul and they don't shoot FT's its not rocket science hell its not even grade school logic,
oh wait even that is above your level of intelligence. I keep forgetting.

Any of you guys and gals, ever been dusted or "wet"? Like on the angel dust.

If so, what was it like.

then I guess that leaves out UWGB then doesn't it. and that's exactly what jwardt called them.
He said they are "basically" a directional school. Directional schools are typically worse in sports than non-directional, so he didn't call them a directional school, he compared their talent-level to a directional school.

You gave up 82 to f'in UW-Green Bay (basically a directional WI school).

Reactions: KisteK and jwardelt
ADVERTISEMENT