ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

It’s 102 for his career at IU and Cline is 101.7 for his career at Purdue. Unless you really want to count the 3 games he started at Vermont, then be my guest.

So clearly McBob is night and day the better defender lol.

Reactions: otte21
So much for reciprocation after my positive comments about Phinisee. I'll continue to be the bigger man. That's how i live my life. Humble, selfless, respectful

It’s 102 for his career at IU and Cline is 101.7 for his career at Purdue. Unless you really want to count the 3 games he started at Vermont, then be my guest.
I will count those thanks. McBobs is better at defense than Cline. No one but the biggest of Purdue Homers would argue against that.

Reactions: SNU0821
I will count those thanks. McBobs is better at defense than Cline. No one but the biggest of Purdue Homers would argue against that.
No he’s not but okay. He’s a white guy that plays hard and isn’t much of a threat offensively=great defender

You talking about Cline?
giphy.gif

Reactions: BoilerExpress
So using your logic of strictly looking at defensive rating to compare them as defensive players Mcbobs is about 1 point better in rating. So we'll call it a wash right?

So now looking out their offensive ratings and Cline has about a point advantage on McBobs in career offensive rating. Should we call them a wash on offense as well? The numbers say they are pretty much the same player offensively... right?

So using your logic of strictly looking at defensive rating to compare them as defensive players Mcbobs is about 1 point better in rating. So we'll call it a wash right?

So now looking out their offensive ratings and Cline has about a point advantage on McBobs in career offensive rating. Should we call them a wash on offense as well? The numbers say they are pretty much the same player offensively... right?
That means he’s been as efficient as Cline when he attempts to score, but cline scores 14.9 points per 100 possessions and Mcroberts is 6.5 for their careers. So Mcroberts doesn’t look to score.

You’re implying that my logic is flawed but have yet to show me any proof to actually back up that Mcroberts is a better defender.

That means he’s been as efficient as Cline when he attempts to score, but cline scores 14.9 points per 100 possessions and Mcroberts is 6.5 for their careers. So Mcroberts doesn’t look to score.

You’re implying that my logic is flawed but have yet to show me any proof to actually back up that Mcroberts is a better defender.
Defense cant be quantified in stats. If Cline = McBobs on defense based on defensive rating then McBobs = Cline on offense based on offensive rating.

Again we are comparing your 2nd best player with Iu's 5th or 6th best player. Not looking good for Purdue this year...

Difference I see between the two---and I haven't seen Purdue, is that IU as of now has two studs(Morgan/Langford), compared to PU having one(Carsen). Which can be significant. If Morgan is off, IU can lean on Romeo; and vice-versa. But what happens when Edwards is off? Or gets into foul trouble? Who does Purdue go to?
I think both teams are very unproven, but IU gets a little leeway due to their incoming recruits being evaluated as having a higher talent level/ranking. Purdue will need Cline, Boudreaux, Haarms, and Eastern to help with scoring. IU will need guys like Smith, Green, and Phinisee to score as well. You can have a successful season with 1-2 studs, but you won't go far in the tournament unless your role players step up. We will see if either team's role players have improved since last year, after a month or so of data points.

Toast I think that guy might end up being Hunter. I am telling you, this kid is going to be really good. I;ve always been high on him.
Maybe next year. Freshman are rarely reliable; he may show flashes in individual games, but doubt he will be a go-to guy. We do expect him to be a very good player for us in the future, though.

Wheeler needs to learn to make the simple plays and function in a half court setting, but I like his potential. Hopefully he grows with experience bc I think game situation is what he needs.

I don’t disagree on Haarms. I hope it’s this year.
Step 1 for Wheeler -- don't just stand around on the wing in a motion offense.

No they don’t. But when losing an argument, resort to hyperbole and building strawmans.
I agree they dont. I'm just using Otte's logic. We all know Cline is the superior offensive player, and we also know McBobs is the superior defensive player.

FWIW, I dont think Cline is your 2nd best player either. EB is the 2nd best player on Purdue.

I agree they dont. I'm just using Otte's logic. We all know Cline is the superior offensive player, and we also know McBobs is the superior defensive player.

FWIW, I dont think Cline is your 2nd best player either. EB is the 2nd best player on Purdue.
You’re not using any logic. We all don’t know that he’s a superior defender, that’s my point.

Defense cant be quantified in stats. If Cline = McBobs on defense based on defensive rating then McBobs = Cline on offense based on offensive rating.

Again we are comparing your 2nd best player with Iu's 5th or 6th best player. Not looking good for Purdue this year...
I watch the games too ya know? I don’t see anything that points to him being superior defensively AND the metrics back my stance up.

I watch the games too ya know? I don’t see anything that points to him being superior defensively AND the metrics back my stance up.
You dont watch very well then. Cline is always guarding the other team's worst offensive wing. McBob is always guarding the other team's best offensive wing.

You dont watch very well then. Cline is always guarding the other team's worst offensive wing. McBob is always guarding the other team's best offensive wing.
Well seeing as that he came in for Mathias and Mathias was always guarding the other team’s best wing, I’m going to go with your just bullshitting again based on nothing.

let’s put it this way, if McBob put up a 9-5-4-2 stat line, you guys would be going nuts about how much we’ve underrated him and how much he impacts the game. When Cline does it, you guys come to gloat that he’s bad.

That’s where the two players are at.
No. Not at all. We just don’t pump up mediocre stats of our 5th/6th best player. The difference is y’all honestly believe Cline is an All B10 type player. Lol. I mean, Ryan Cline. Sir smokes a lot hasn’t shown anything close to being at an all b10 level.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Well seeing as that he came in for Mathias and Mathias was always guarding the other tram’s best wing, I’m going to go with your just bullshitting again based on nothing.
Lol whaaaat?? Cline doesnt have to guard Mathias' man when he checks in for him. When Mathias was out last yea either Eastern or Carsen guarded the best wing. Cline is ALWAYS on the worst wing.

Lol whaaaat?? Cline doesnt have to guard Mathias' man when he checks in for him. When Mathias was out last yea either Eastern or Carsen guarded the best wing. Cline is ALWAYS on the worst wing.
What is with you and hyperbole? This statement isn’t even close to true.

In todays CBB stetting---any year w/o off the court issues is a good thing. Plus I just don't see this being a consistent issue under Miller. Sure there might be a guy here or there. But I don't see IU having the issues under Miller, as they did with Crean. And certainly not with KS.
very true. but Crean didn't care about who he recruited

Reactions: IUfanBorden
No. Not at all. We just don’t pump up mediocre stats of our 5th/6th best player. The difference is y’all honestly believe Cline is an All B10 type player. Lol. I mean, Ryan Cline. Sir smokes a lot hasn’t shown anything close to being at an all b10 level.
Since you guys all went ham mocking him for a 9-5-4 game...you must have pretty damn high expectations of him. Much more so than we do.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
Since you guys all went ham mocking him for a 9-5-4 game...you must have pretty damn high expectations of him. Much more so than we do.
You guys are claiming he is a possible All Big Ten candidate. I can guarentee fans from other schools dont have that type of expectation for him.

Cline is what he is. He will hit 5/10 one game and then 3/10 the next. He is a very inconsistent shooter.

He appears to have improved his passing ability this season and also appears to be putting the ball on the floor more. He will likely average around 10 pts/gm. He will always be a guy that teams dont want to let get open looks. He also will be a guy that teams look to exploit when he is playing defense.

It most certainly is. I've probably watched just as many Purdue games as you have over the last 2 years.
Ok. Then to prove it, can you type us up a comprehensive report of Clines last two years, who he’s guarded, and where that person he’s guarded ranks on your “Opposing players that Cline has guarded” scale. TIA

Ok. Then to prove it, can you type us up a comprehensive report of Clines last two years, who he’s guarded, and where that person he’s guarded ranks on your “Opposing players that Cline has guarded” scale. TIA
Lol what a douche.

Lol what a douche.
You made an awful argument. Sorry you made yourself look like an idiot. Simply asked for some proof on how you could come to such a absolute conclusion on something that is totally up for interpretation.

ADVERTISEMENT