ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

no I am happy that Fran is getting Iowa back to where it was under Dr. Tom 1 Elite 8, 2 sweet 16's, 9-0 in 1st round NCAAT games and quite possiby to tghe Lute Olsen years where they had 1 BT Championship, 1 FF and 1 Sweet 16 in Lutes last 5 seasons.

as I said Alford Indiana's Golden Boy and Licklighter who was the NCOY when he was hired drug this program to the dephts of hell.
LMAO! The delusion in this one is high, very high.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Both are proven 40% shooters over 3 and 2 seasons respectively. I am not worried.
Although they shot horrible tonight, they still have had a better shooting season than IU, which once again, was your take, right?

Nobody who has watched both teams play both games is thinking right now that IU is the better team.

I remember my first beer.

I, for one was actually pleased with the Purdue game. Had some guys step up that need to step up this season for Purdue to be successful. Great games from Haarms, Eastern, and Boudreaux. Shot poorly from three and managed not to die by it.

Uh, not so sure about this. What I saw last night was, well, unimpressive to say the least.
Well, it will be a top 100 win at the end of the year whereas IU has what will be two sub 300 wins. I am not surprised you don’t see it, however. IU struggled with long range shooting and free throws in both games against some of the worst teams in college basketball. The weaknesses will become clearer when you actually play someone in the top 100.

Well, it will be a top 100 win at the end of the year whereas IU has what will be two sub 300 wins. I am not surprised you don’t see it, however. IU struggled with long range shooting and free throws in both games against some of the worst teams in college basketball. The weaknesses will become clearer when you actually play someone in the top 100.
That’s not what you said. You said that anyone who watched Purdue and IU could see Purdue was better. I don’t think that’s remotely close to accurate. What I saw of Purdue is Carsen Edwards chucking up tons of shots. Seems like he has bought into his own hype playing for his NBA draft spot. I saw Cline being a spot up shooter primarily who doesn’t play great defense. Then I saw a bunch of other inexperienced role players who won’t scare any B10 team. So again, your post that I quoted was inaccurate like I said.

Why will Ball State be top 100?

Reactions: SIhoosier26
This is a fair post. And as of now, FT/3pt shooting has been IU's weakness. I do thin k that changes. Especially so with the FT's. I like our "shooters" of Phinisee, McRoberts, Fitzner, Anderson and Langford. Its awfully early to come to the conclusion that a player like Langford will not improve on his shooting woes; 6-14 FT(80% in HS), and 1-7 from three(37% in HS). SHots just aren't dropping right now. I have little doubt they eventually will. Phinisee, McBob and Fitz are a combined 6-10 from three. Again, very limited sample. But as of now, when those guys shoot, I'm surprised if they miss. It really boils down to shot selection. IU has taken a ton of ill advised 3's. Miller has harped on that. And that's something I think gets fixed. Green has been the leader of this. He's just one bad shot after another. Probably why he's 1-8 on the year.

Overall our shooting has been disappointing. But not to the point of last year. When we couldn't even make GOOD, open shots. I think we have three guys that if you leave open, they are gonna hit a good percentage; Phinisee, McRoberts and Fitz. So I'm just not as worried as I was last year.

You are correct in that these areas could/can show its head versus better teams. No doubt. But same could be said about Purdue. Unless of course you think Ball State is the best team Purdue will play; WHich I doubt you do. With that being said, the shooting just doesn't concern me. Last year it was a must. We just had no one outside of Morgan who could "get his". This year, we have three guys who IMO, can go and "get theirs"; Morgan, Romeo and SMith. So the shooting woes as of now are not that big of a concern. Plus, I think this team has a really good chance to be really, really good defensively.

Its early. But we will find out a lot more about IU in the next two games: Marquette, then @ Arkansas.

Lol mcroberts is 100% from 3 this season. Cline is 4/15... 27%... he should have spent more time working on his shot in the offseason than smoking weed.

You seem to know a lot about what he did in the offseason. Or are you still clinging to a story from years ago?

That’s not what you said. You said that anyone who watched Purdue and IU could see Purdue was better. I don’t think that’s remotely close to accurate. What I saw of Purdue is Carsen Edwards chucking up tons of shots. Seems like he has bought into his own hype playing for his NBA draft spot. I saw Cline being a spot up shooter primarily who doesn’t play great defense. Then I saw a bunch of other inexperienced role players who won’t scare any B10 team. So again, your post that I quoted was inaccurate like I said.

I think you’re underrating Haarms. I think he’s going to be really good this year.

Because they kept it close with Purdue, duh. Lol

I just really wanted to know. Multiple times it was posted here that Ball state beat ND last year and returns everyone, they could upset Purdue. Yet no one mentioned their next best win was 113 Toledo, they lost 4 straight to end the year and was ranked 178th. Group think is a dangerous drug.

Think so? I haven't watched Purdue this year. What makes you think this?
He plays for Purdue. He's a solid defender and he has nice hair. That's really all he brings to the table. Purdue is going to have a lot of trouble scoring this year when Carsen's off.

Reactions: SNU0821
LMAO! The delusion in this one is high, very high.
Dr. Tom in 13 seasons had 2 losing seasons overall
1 Elite 8 finish
2 sweet 16 finishes the last he was run off
9-0 in 1st Rnd NCAATfinished as Iowa all time winningest coach
31 wins best in Iowa's history
Lute in 9 seasons had 2 losing season overall
1 FF
1 Sweet 16
2 1st round losses one when they won the BT Championship
5 NCAAT invites.
finished 2nd in Iowa BB wins overall
Fran
has 2 losing seasons
1 NIT Championship game
2 1st rnd wins
25 win season tied for the 2nd best in Iowa's history
3 NCAAT Invites in 8 season
in 8 seasons sits 3rd in all time Iowa win total
5 .500 or better finishes in the BT
3rd best win total by 4 year starters.
#1 and #2 belong to Dr. Tom

so yeah where the program sits after the 11 seasons under Lick's 3 straight losing seasons where he avg 5 BT wins per season

Alford had just 3 .500 BT records in 8 seasons
Alford best season 25 wins 1st round loss in the NCAAT to a 14 seed.
so yeah the Iowa BB fell into the pit of hell. attendence had fallen to the 5500 to 6500 range in a stadium the seats 15500. under Fran it has rebounded to 13500 or better.

perspective is in the eye of the beholder

You seem to know a lot about what he did in the offseason. Or are you still clinging to a story from years ago?
Well when you have to get woken up by the police with a sternum rub because you are baked out of your mind, it's not something people will easily forget.

He plays for Purdue. He's a solid defender and he has nice hair. That's really all he brings to the table. Purdue is going to have a lot of trouble scoring this year when Carsen's off.
You forgot to mention he is probably the most hated player in the big ten by everyone who are not Purdue fans.

Reactions: herrli and SNU0821
Think so? I haven't watched Purdue this year. What makes you think this?

He’s already solid on defense and if he can continue to develop his offensive game, he’ll be a force. Last night he went for 16 points on 5-8 shooting including going 1-1 from 3. And he did that in only 18 minutes due to foul trouble.

All he brings to the table? I guess you didn’t watch him last night if you honestly believe that.

Well when you have to get woken up by the police with a sternum rub because you are baked out of your mind, it's not something people will easily forget.

Do IU fans really have any room to talk when it comes to off-court issues?

With the current team and coaching staff? Yea, we can talk all day, because no one on this team has ever had off the court issues. No player under Archie at IU has had off the court issues.

Well I’d hope not he’s only been there a year.

I don't really want to get into this because I haven't watched IU play and I think Purdue is a top 50 team but not sold on them being top 25.

However, the guy didn't say that Purdue looked better than IU, his statement implied they were roughly the same. The direct quote being: "Nobody who has watched both teams play both games is thinking right now that IU is the better team."

I don't really want to get into this because I haven't watched IU play and I think Purdue is a top 50 team but not sold on them being top 25.

However, the guy didn't say that Purdue looked better than IU, his statement implied they were roughly the same. The direct quote being: "Nobody who has watched both teams play both games is thinking right now that IU is the better team."
Difference I see between the two---and I haven't seen Purdue, is that IU as of now has two studs(Morgan/Langford), compared to PU having one(Carsen). Which can be significant. If Morgan is off, IU can lean on Romeo; and vice-versa. But what happens when Edwards is off? Or gets into foul trouble? Who does Purdue go to?

I didn't watch last night, but IU fans are going ham on a game where Cline had 9 pts, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, 1 turnover. That would literally be a career game for McRoberts, who has never even had a 4 assist game at IU, and exceeded 9 pts exactly one time.

Pleased that we won with a nice margin and still put up 84 while shooting so poorly. Good sign for a team that we expected to start slow. I just want wins while they figure things out.

Difference I see between the two---and I haven't seen Purdue, is that IU as of now has two studs(Morgan/Langford), compared to PU having one(Carsen). Which can be significant. If Morgan is off, IU can lean on Romeo; and vice-versa. But what happens when Edwards is off? Or gets into foul trouble? Who does Purdue go to?
Yeah I think this is a key, and why I expect IU to be better. Having two studs is huge, and will help mitigate the shooting concerns.

Purdue needs someone to be that consistent #2 guy. I think we have good options in Haarms, Cline, and Boudreaux, but suspect Nojel will be pretty hit or miss offensively throughout the year. Gotta have some of those guys step up to reach our relatively modest ceiling IMO.

With the current team and coaching staff? Yea, we can talk all day, because no one on this team has ever had off the court issues. No player under Archie at IU has had off the court issues.
this is just his 2nd year so no major accomplishment there. give it 5+ years before making that claim.

I didn't watch last night, but IU fans are going ham on a game where Cline had 9 pts, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, 1 turnover. That would literally be a career game for McRoberts, who has never even had a 4 assist game at IU, and exceeded 9 pts exactly one time.

Pleased that we won with a nice margin and still put up 84 while shooting so poorly. Good sign for a team that we expected to start slow. I just want wins while they figure things out.
Well in fairness, McRoberts is IU's 4th or 5th option. Opposed to Cline being option 2 for Purdue. So there is that. What I like about McRoberts is the little things he does: Keeps rebounds alive....makes a play that leads to a bucket, i.e. the hockey assist. He rarely does anything to hurt you. To me, that's the importance he brings.

Edit: Also want to add the defensive presence he brings. Seven times last year he had 3 or more steals. He's seen(by coaches) as a very good defensive player. And has been used to defend the other teams top scorers.

Last edited:
Yeah I think this is a key, and why I expect IU to be better. Having two studs is huge, and will help mitigate the shooting concerns.

Purdue needs someone to be that consistent #2 guy. I think we have good options in Haarms, Cline, and Boudreaux, but suspect Nojel will be pretty hit or miss offensively throughout the year. Gotta have some of those guys step up to reach our relatively modest ceiling IMO.
Toast I think that guy might end up being Hunter. I am telling you, this kid is going to be really good. I;ve always been high on him.

this is just his 2nd year so no major accomplishment there. give it 5+ years before making that claim.
In todays CBB stetting---any year w/o off the court issues is a good thing. Plus I just don't see this being a consistent issue under Miller. Sure there might be a guy here or there. But I don't see IU having the issues under Miller, as they did with Crean. And certainly not with KS.

ADVERTISEMENT