ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

I didn't watch last night, but IU fans are going ham on a game where Cline had 9 pts, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, 1 turnover. That would literally be a career game for McRoberts, who has never even had a 4 assist game at IU, and exceeded 9 pts exactly one time.

Pleased that we won with a nice margin and still put up 84 while shooting so poorly. Good sign for a team that we expected to start slow. I just want wins while they figure things out.
Haarms is going to be a monster, if not this year by next season. Wheeler also has athleticism that we haven't had. He had a tip in and-1 that was insane.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Well in fairness, McRoberts is IU's 4th or 5th option. Opposed to Cline being option 2 for Purdue. So there is that. What I like about McRoberts is the little things he does: Keeps rebounds alive....makes a play that leads to a bucket, i.e. the hockey assist. He rarely does anything to hurt you. To me, that's the importance he brings.
This is my point. You guys are gonna clamor over cline’s 9-5-4-2 game while being jazzed about a McBob 6 pt outing. The bars are set very differently bc one can do so much more offensively than the other.

Reactions: KisteK
I absolutely love him long term. Don’t expect him to be consistent game to game this year though. May be a hot hand situation with him and Nojel.
Very true. I think for the most part, Purdue's 2nd option will be by committee---early. Maybe a Cline, Haarms, etc, etc....eventually settle into that role. But Hunter is ectremely talented. He can shoot. He can get to the rim. Like his game a ton.

Haarms is going to be a monster, if not this year by next season. Wheeler also has athleticism that we haven't had. He had a tip in and-1 that was insane.
Wheeler needs to learn to make the simple plays and function in a half court setting, but I like his potential. Hopefully he grows with experience bc I think game situation is what he needs.

I don’t disagree on Haarms. I hope it’s this year.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I didn't watch last night, but IU fans are going ham on a game where Cline had 9 pts, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, 1 turnover. That would literally be a career game for McRoberts, who has never even had a 4 assist game at IU, and exceeded 9 pts exactly one time.

Pleased that we won with a nice margin and still put up 84 while shooting so poorly. Good sign for a team that we expected to start slow. I just want wins while they figure things out.
Needed 12 shots to get those 9 points too...

Reactions: SNU0821
Very true. I think for the most part, Purdue's 2nd option will be by committee---early. Maybe a Cline, Haarms, etc, etc....eventually settle into that role. But Hunter is ectremely talented. He can shoot. He can get to the rim. Like his game a ton.
I like his pull up game a lot. That’s something that can take a scorer to another level in terms of being very difficult to guard. He appears to be a better ball handler than I expected at this level — I didn’t anticipate painter playing him at point this early.

This is my point. You guys are gonna clamor over cline’s 9-5-4-2 game while being jazzed about a McBob 6 pt outing. The bars are set very differently bc one can do so much more offensively than the other.
I said nadda of Cline. But I get what you are saying. McRoberts brings a lot to the table for Indiana. No he's not gonna go out and get us 15 points a night. But what he will get us is a solid 7-10 a night...4-5 boards...a few steals. He's improved his shot a ton. He's a stat stuffer. A 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assist, 2 steals per night, type of player. And a team like this, that's all IU needs. But what they really need, is his defensive effort. And he brings that. Plus he's just solid. Makes the right play. He and Cline bring different tangibles. The major difference I see is the intangibles. Meaning, I think McRoberts brings more overall. The little things---always seems to be around the ball. Back taps, keeping rebounds alive. He might only get 1 or 2 assist, but they always seem to be "big" assists.

I have learned to really appreciate what McBob brings to this team. I think we have a chacne to be pretty good. And I think he plays a huge role.

if his off games are 9-5-4-2 he’s an all big ten player.
But that won't be his "off" games. He's not that good at getting his own. More of a catch and shoot guy. I could see nights where he's just off, and really has zero impact(offensively).

I like his pull up game a lot. That’s something that can take a scorer to another level in terms of being very difficult to guard. He appears to be a better ball handler than I expected at this level — I didn’t anticipate painter playing him at point this early.
I'd love to have him at IU. He does noting great. But he does a lot of things really, really good. His shot is very underrated. Very athletic. Just smooth. He's going to be a nightmare for the Big 10 in the seasons to come.

But that won't be his "off" games. He's not that good at getting his own. More of a catch and shoot guy. I could see nights where he's just off, and really has zero impact(offensively).
The way he’s passing the ball he’s always going to contribute offensively, on top of the fact that his defender will not be able to help bc he can erupt from 3.

Not to doubke quote, but wanted to hit on this(about Langford). I'd love to see Langford use this more. He showed glimpses of it in HS. I know Miller has been working on this. If he can develop this? Yeah---good luck. In other words, if he had Hunters mid-range game(which I think he can have)?? Yeah---again, good luck defending him.

Not to doubke quote, but wanted to hit on this(about Langford). I'd love to see Langford use this more. He showed glimpses of it in HS. I know Miller has been working on this. If he can develop this? Yeah---good luck. In other words, if he had Hunters mid-range game(which I think he can have)?? Yeah---again, good luck defending him.
Mid-range game is what separates a good scorer from a great scorer imo. It’s not always efficient, but guys like that can get tough buckets when you need them. It’s what makes Carsen so dangerous.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
The way he’s passing the ball he’s always going to contribute offensively, on top of the fact that his defender will not be able to help bc he can erupt from 3.
That is fair. But aside from Carsen, who's he passing it too, who's gonna score with consistency? Which is why I said "some nights, zero impact". I like Cline. I do. Hes tough. Plays hard. Can be a knock down shooter. I just don't think he's an "option 2" type of guy.

Mid-range game is what separates a good scorer from a great scorer imo. It’s not always efficient, but guys like that can get tough buckets when you need them. It’s what makes Carsen so dangerous.
Its what made Cheaney at IU almost unguardable. Langford has that in his game. Just needs to become more consistent with it. When/if he does, he'll be almost impossible to defend.

Its what made Cheaney at IU almost unguardable. Langford has that in his game. Just needs to become more consistent with it. When/if he does, he'll be almost impossible to defend.
Yep. I think it’s tough for a freshman to come in a do it consistently. Romeo has some it, but it may not always translate this year. But it’ll develop when he gets to the pros.
That is fair. But aside from Carsen, who's he passing it too, who's gonna score with consistency? Which is why I said "some nights, zero impact". I like Cline. I do. Hes tough. Plays hard. Can be a knock down shooter. I just don't think he's an "option 2" type of guy.
Haarms and Boudreaux are good in PNR, and Cline has really improved in that. Not in a traditional fashion — but at finding things like Haarms on the slip of pulling up from 3. It’s going to be hard a lot, just like we did with Mathias. He’s a good albeit flawed offensive player that ideally would be a 4th scorer. But I think he’s poised for an impactful year averaging double digits and a solid number of assists per game.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Wheeler needs to learn to make the simple plays and function in a half court setting, but I like his potential. Hopefully he grows with experience bc I think game situation is what he needs.

I don’t disagree on Haarms. I hope it’s this year.
Oh he's raw for sure. I'm not sure he can dribble effectively in the half court but if he can hit the occasional 3, rebound and be opportunistic in transition he will be of value this year. He's long as hell. Looks like a fvcking dinosaur out there

Reactions: Toast.
I said nadda of Cline. But I get what you are saying. McRoberts brings a lot to the table for Indiana. No he's not gonna go out and get us 15 points a night. But what he will get us is a solid 7-10 a night...4-5 boards...a few steals. He's improved his shot a ton. He's a stat stuffer. A 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assist, 2 steals per night, type of player. And a team like this, that's all IU needs. But what they really need, is his defensive effort. And he brings that. Plus he's just solid. Makes the right play. He and Cline bring different tangibles. The major difference I see is the intangibles. Meaning, I think McRoberts brings more overall. The little things---always seems to be around the ball. Back taps, keeping rebounds alive. He might only get 1 or 2 assist, but they always seem to be "big" assists.

I have learned to really appreciate what McBob brings to this team. I think we have a chacne to be pretty good. And I think he plays a huge role.
I guess I just don’t see a huge difference in the “intangibles” you’re referencing.

Cline does the same things you’re saying McBob does and at the same time is a better offensive player.

He will struggle some against more athletic teams, agree. But even still, the Big Ten isn't really loaded with a bunch of great athletes.

Oh he's raw for sure. I'm not sure he can dribble effectively in the half court but if he can hit the occasional 3, rebound and be opportunistic in transition he will be of value this year. He's long as hell. Looks like a fvcking dinosaur out there
If he comes along and pushes Grady out of the starting lineup, it’ll be huge. But I don’t anticipate that happening. I just don’t think he’s ready to be a functional offensive guy in the half court. I do like that he’s using his length/athleticism to make some plays.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
I think MSU wins by about 15 today

Will be interesting to see if Gabe Brown plays. Top 100 ranked kid but a stick. Good shot with great wingspan but definitely a project. Didn’t play in Kansas game, possible redshirt candidate?

I guess I just don’t see a huge difference in the “intangibles” you’re referencing.

Cline does the same things you’re saying McBob does and at the same time is a better offensive player.
He's(Cline) better offensively. Agree. I think McBob is a better defender. Better rebounder. I think in a nutshell, both provide exactly what their teams need. I don't see either being a go to guy. Unfortunately for Purdue, they are at times going to need that from Cline. IU won't need that from McRoberts. Thus the difference I see in the two teams, and the difference between the two players.

Cline not even close to the same defensive player that McBobs is. The difference in this entire convo is that you are comparing what you think is your second best player to our 5th or 6th best player. That's the difference between IU and Purdue this season.

Cline not even close to the same defensive player that McBobs is. The difference in this entire convo is that you are comparing what you think is your second best player to our 5th or 6th best player. That's the difference between IU and Purdue this season.
In a nutshell----this.

Reactions: SNU0821
He's(Cline) better offensively. Agree. I think McBob is a better defender. Better rebounder. I think in a nutshell, both provide exactly what their teams need. I don't see either being a go to guy. Unfortunately for Purdue, they are at times going to need that from Cline. IU won't need that from McRoberts. Thus the difference I see in the two teams, and the difference between the two players.
Right. It shows the delusion IU fans have for McRoberts.

The actual stats say otherwise as I’ve previously already pointed out. So unless you can show me something other than just your opinion, this is still wrong.

Reactions: B-Westy
Lol no... just no...
let’s put it this way, if McBob put up a 9-5-4-2 stat line, you guys would be going nuts about how much we’ve underrated him and how much he impacts the game. When Cline does it, you guys come to gloat that he’s bad.

That’s where the two players are at.

Reactions: B-Westy
Lol you should probably look up their defensive ratings before trying to use that argument. Cline's defensive rating is 106. McBob's is 56.... yikes...
You really going on a 2 game sample size bro? Look at last years and then get back to me.

ADVERTISEMENT