ADVERTISEMENT

MJ vs Lebitch

Would you have Lebron on your team if you were building a team from players of his generation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I know I'm not the GOAT;), cause I quit on em after that. Ha. Left the bar immediately after regulation and went and bummed a cigarette, even though I hadn't smoked in years. Such a brutal fvcking loss.
You're just an LBJ fan, correct? You don't root for the Cavs

Reactions: 829305
You're just an LBJ fan, correct? You don't root for the Cavs
Yeah. I was traumatized as a youth growing up in Illinois a Barkley fan. ;) So, I will forever root for Bron's GOATness. I have this conversation (usually drunk) about once a month in these parts. I'm always alone in my opinion, no surprise.

Saying that, I don't think Bron is the GOAT, yet. He may never be, but it isn't over.

I think he was extremely frustrated and yes, let it get to him after the RJ play. I'm not one to bring up 08 Boston or the 14 Spurs as signs he quit. But just watching the game, its seemed LeBron checked out after the start of overtime. Dude didn't even attempt a shot until halfway through the period. Even former players are on record after watching him. I'd say they have a pretty good idea of what a player working hard looks like.

Not trying to take away how great he was for the entire game, but for OT, I think its pretty fair to argue he gave up.
I just don't see it. Was he pissed? Probably beyond pissed. Did it affect him? I'm sure it did, but that doesn't mean he just gave up.

Yeah....Lebron probably should have learned from MJ and gone down BEFORE the Finals.

Silly him.

MJ is undefeated in the finals, LBJ isn’t and I know he’s been to more finals but I don’t give credit for anyone who finishes in second place. On the court it’s MJ, off the court it’s LBJ and it’s not close.

I don't think it has anything to do with logic. I think he is kind of fragile at times as a competitor. Again, there are many people who like Lebron and even defend him who have this take. Surely this isn't the first time you have heard this?
Drama queen from those who like him (like me)? sure. Can't say I've thought fragile......but fragile does not equal quit even if you believe it.

MJ is undefeated in the finals, LBJ isn’t and I know he’s been to more finals but I don’t give credit for anyone who finishes in second place. On the court it’s MJ, off the court it’s LBJ and it’s not close.
As I said...he should have followed MJ's lead and just not gotten to the Finals. What credit do you give MJ when he finished in 7th place? 11th? etc.

I don't care about the MJ vs Lebron argument. And I am certainly not taking anything away from Lebron making it to 9 finals even if he has lost 6 of them. But are we going to pretend that the competition MJ played to get to the finals wasn't lightyears ahead of the competition Lebron has had to play against?

Lebron going out west is an opportunity to prove that he can make it through multiple top teams just to reach the finals. Durant leaving GS will increase his odds, but I don't think Lebron has many more if any finals appearances left. But with free agency the way it is, who knows. I think George shunning him for OKC really took a toll.

I don't care about the MJ vs Lebron argument. And I am certainly not taking anything away from Lebron making it to 9 finals even if he has lost 6 of them. But are we going to pretend that the competition MJ played to get to the finals wasn't lightyears ahead of the competition Lebron has had to play against?

Lebron going out west is an opportunity to prove that he can make it through multiple top teams just to reach the finals. Durant leaving GS will increase his odds, but I don't think Lebron has many more if any finals appearances left. But with free agency the way it is, who knows. I think George shunning him for OKC really took a toll.

I'd concede that point. But will you admit that Bron's Finals competition has been light years ahead of MJ's? Cause it has.

Reactions: dtgold88
Yes. I think that the Dallas team and GS are better than any team MJ played in the finals.
Isn't the Dallas series considered the only one Bron blew?

Also, his defeating of the Dubs was unreal, better than any Finals win by Jordan, imo. While the Utah ones were somewhat exciting, those guys were all getting old. If Jordan was born a decade earlier and accomplished what he did, he'd be the unquestioned GOAT of GOATs, imo. He caught a lot of those teams at the right time, especially the Celtics and Lakers dynasties.

Yeah. I was traumatized as a youth growing up in Illinois a Barkley fan. ;) So, I will forever root for Bron's GOATness. I have this conversation (usually drunk) about once a month in these parts. I'm always alone in my opinion, no surprise.

Saying that, I don't think Bron is the GOAT, yet. He may never be, but it isn't over.
I'm with you on your stance 100 percent. Anyone who takes a different approach is blinded by fan hood.

Reactions: 829305
All time, Lebron is above Kobe but below MJ. If you're asking who you want to shoot the last shot of the game, or who has a better mentality when it comes to winning, I think the clear edge goes to Kobe and MJ over LeBron.

LeBron is probably the most talented basketball player of all time. If he had the assassin's mentality of a Bryant or Jordan, I don't think there'd be a debate on who the best of all time is.

Or Larry Bird taking the last shot....

Reactions: JimboBBN
Your jealousy is showing on an internet message board

the-face-i-make-jealous-boyfriend-meme.jpg

Reactions: JimboBBN

I agree was harder for MJ to get to the Finals, but also think Lebron played tougher teams in the Finals. Perhaps that's why Lebron has been to more but MJ has had an easier time in the Finals?

Agree the Horry legend is a little bit like the MJ could hit game winners unlike Bron. Considering, MJ 5-11 and Bron 7-13 on go-ahead shots in the final 5 seconds of regulation or OT. And Bron with 5 buzzer beaters to MJ's 3. But, you know, Bron isn't clutch. Winking
Yet some people see this factual info and still would not take Lebron...and, yes, say he isn't clutch as you point out.

I'll look for it, but pretty sure Kobe is the worst of the 3.

Here's when it all changed for me regarding MJ. There were the countless stories of him being an asshole, but I got to see what I think was an example of this in the flesh. When I taught in NC for a few years, it just so happened that a childhood friend of MJ's was in our school, well at the high school next door to us (I was teaching 7th grade at the time). Anyway, a guy I work with is friends with MJ's friend so we started going golfing with him. I was skeptical that it was actually a true friend of MJ's until I saw him carrying MJ's dead dad's body in the casket at the funeral on the news. So, yeah. He was VERY tight with MJ. So, how did he behave on the golf course?

Well, he carried a 5th of crown and chain-smoked cigars at all times, which hell, I respected that. What I didn't is the way he acted on the course. ALWAYS running his mouth, talking shit, and thought he was the coolest guy on the planet. He was so loud and obnoxious and all I could think is, "He thinks it's okay to act like this because MJ does when they golf together." To this day I'm convinced he was a spitting image of MJ on the course. And it just disgusted me that the GOAT was a douche bag. There are more stories, but other than my dad seeing him run a couple autograph seekers off the golf course, it's all I can vouch for personally. Anyway, he can be the GOAT, but he's also an asshole.

You come off like a giant pussy in this story.

Can’t really compare eras. Totally different skill set and emphasis on style of play. Those Bulls teams would never beat Golden State in today’s rules. But Golden State probably doesn’t beat the Bulls if played with 90s rules.

Reactions: I am stupid
Why is MJ such a d bag and Lebron on a pedestal in the human being awards?
MJ's a gambler, a dickhead, and a cutthroat. That was considered awesome in the 80s/90s. LBJ's a philanthropist and ties a lot of his business ventures with some type of philanthropic slant, he's somewhat socially sensitive and public about it, and he is publicly supportive of NBA superstars on other teams. That's considered awesome in the oughts and 2010s (which we're in now).

Edit: Edit to add that this is just my interpretation of the narrative. They share a lot of the qualities I mentioned in different doses. I'm very lucky to have memories of the second Bulls 3-peat (born in '89 - those two Utah series were incredible) and to have seen all of LBJ's career.

Reactions: TheDude1

His legacy of being the least self aware, most pathetic superstar in sports history continues to grow.

In his defense though, he didn't want to put forth an effort on defense cause he was saving his energy for his post game tirade against his teammates.

Lebron is getting really close to getting punched in the face at practice or in the locker room by a pissed off teammate. I just wish someone on the Lakers had the balls to do it.

His legacy of being the least self aware, most pathetic superstar in sports history continues to grow.

In his defense though, he didn't want to put forth an effort on defense cause he was saving his energy for his post game tirade against his teammates.

Lebron is getting really close to getting punched in the face at practice or in the locker room by a pissed off teammate. I just wish someone on the Lakers had the balls to do it.
Did he really say something about his teammates after this game?

If the Lakers somehow won the lottery and got the top pick it will be confirmed that the NBA draft is rigged.

LeBron is awesome. Great role model for kids, and in the GOAT conversation with MJ. Haters will hate though.

Did he really say something about his teammates after this game?

yep, said a bunch of crap about how if they can't handle the distractions they shouldn't be playing for the Lakers. 20 minutes after clearly quitting on his team yet again during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT