ADVERTISEMENT

MJ vs Lebitch

Would you have Lebron on your team if you were building a team from players of his generation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what’s the story of James quitting mid game multiple times?

Off the top of my head, last spring final game of the finals he quit on his team and stopped trying. Then attempted a farce in the post game press conference when he showed up with a cast on his arm and kept waving it around for everyone to see while claiming he "pretty much broke his arm in game 1". Broke his arm in game 1, supposedly played with a broken arm for 2 weeks with no cast, but just HAD to get that cast put on in between the final whistle and the press conference a half hour later. It was like he was a prop comic it was so transparent and pathetic.

Then, just a week ago he quit on his Lakers team in a game, even refused to get back on d a couple times.

I disagree with this. LeBron is the most TALENTED player of all time, I will give you this. That doesn't make him the best player of all time, though.
Like I think there is a discussion for GOAT, I agree.....But also up for debate, though would also add Russell might need to be included in most accomplished, right?

Reactions: JimboBBN
Like I think there is a discussion for GOAT, I agree.....Bst also up for debate, though would also add Russell might need to be included in most accomplished, right?
Absolutely. Kareem as well. If LeBron wins big the next four years, he could still pass MJ. I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: dtgold88
Off the top of my head, last spring final game of the finals he quit on his team and stopped trying. Then attempted a farce in the post game press conference when he showed up with a cast on his arm and kept waving it around for everyone to see while claiming he "pretty much broke his arm in game 1". Broke his arm in game 1, supposedly played with a broken arm for 2 weeks with no cast, but just HAD to get that cast put on in between the final whistle and the press conference a half hour later. It was like he was a prop comic it was so transparent and pathetic.

Then, just a week ago he quit on his Lakers team in a game, even refused to get back on d a couple times.
And that makes him a drama queen, but quit?

Absolutely. Kareem as well. If LeBron wins big the next four years, he could still pass MJ. I just don't see it happening.
sure not looking like it....though maybe GS gets broken up and another max guy finally agrees to go to LA.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Here's when it all changed for me regarding MJ. There were the countless stories of him being an asshole, but I got to see what I think was an example of this in the flesh. When I taught in NC for a few years, it just so happened that a childhood friend of MJ's was in our school, well at the high school next door to us (I was teaching 7th grade at the time). Anyway, a guy I work with is friends with MJ's friend so we started going golfing with him. I was skeptical that it was actually a true friend of MJ's until I saw him carrying MJ's dead dad's body in the casket at the funeral on the news. So, yeah. He was VERY tight with MJ. So, how did he behave on the golf course?

Well, he carried a 5th of crown and chain-smoked cigars at all times, which hell, I respected that. What I didn't is the way he acted on the course. ALWAYS running his mouth, talking shit, and thought he was the coolest guy on the planet. He was so loud and obnoxious and all I could think is, "He thinks it's okay to act like this because MJ does when they golf together." To this day I'm convinced he was a spitting image of MJ on the course. And it just disgusted me that the GOAT was a douche bag. There are more stories, but other than my dad seeing him run a couple autograph seekers off the golf course, it's all I can vouch for personally. Anyway, he can be the GOAT, but he's also an asshole.

He's an asshole because some guy he was friends with talked shit on a golf course might very well be the dumbest take ever on this board. We are all a little dumber for having read that.

Reactions: Sevro

LeBron could win 7 rings and the people that jerk off to Space Jam posters would still say "LOL he needed to make the finals 13 times to do it!"

not trying in the 2nd half of the final game made him a quitter, but you're cool with that cause it didn't affect his impressive series stats.
watched the game, other than not liking him there's nothing for you to suggest he quit.

You hate Lebron, and love MJ. I get it. Might as well just say "everything MJ good, Lebron bad" instead of embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:
An opinion LBJ went to sleep in a series where he went for 34, 8+ and 10, shooting 52%, even made 84% of his FTs vs. a giu who left his team foe a season+?

Might want to reopen your case, but that was funny.

Against Dallas what his numbers?

Edited my post. So you believe that at 530 in the morning Lebron so happened to have the paint to paint an entire fence in the 15 minutes it took for police to get there?

So, one point at a time.

Yes, I believe that Lebrons property managers (not Lebron himself; I think he was out of town?) painted over it. I think it is much more believable they did that so that the whole neighborhood wouldn't wake up to see ******S written on the gate, that they were upset by it and wanted to make it go away, than the idea that it was FAKED to give Lebron an excuse to discuss race, given that he has spoken about race a million times before. People have already discussed seeing pictures of it. Do you think these reporters are liars who are all part of this grand scheme?

There is nothing suspicious about there being no video evidence in a neighborhood full of surveillance cameras?

I am surprised if there is no video of it from James house... I'd assume they have cameras? Would we have video? Do the cops? But that in and of itself is not enough for me to imagine that it is all some invented thing created by James to discuss race.

The police must be racist for not following up on a case where the alleged victim purposely destroyed evidence that would prove his claims, huh?

Huh? Why are the police racist? This question is a bit off the rails.

Quit saying that it is only about politics with me when the same could be said about your choice to believe that garbage.

You calling it "garbage" is interesting.

And I've already said that my political beliefs might play a part.

At the end of the day, there are two possible stories...

A) someone vandalized the gate. James spoke about it.

B) James faked this entire thing to get an excuse to talk about race.

Given how f'ed up it is to do something as silly as invent an internet wife on a nothing forum, it would be a million times more messed up to invent something as massive as this. I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that James is that crazy, and given how much racist stuff happens every day, I think it is far more reasonable to think that someone vandalized his gate.

I am very much an Occums Razor guy; the simplest explanation is usually the truth. I am not a conspiracy guy.

Last edited:
So, one point at a time.

Yes, I believe that Lebrons property managers (not Lebron himself; I think he was out of town?) painted over it. I think it is much more believable they did that so that the whole neighborhood wouldn't wake up to see ******S written on the gate, that they were upset by it and wanted to make it go away, than the idea that it was FAKED to give Lebron an excuse to discuss race, given that he has spoken about race a million times before.

I am surprised if there is no video of it from James house... I'd assume they have cameras? Would we have video? Do the cops? But that in and of itself is not enough for me to imagine that it is all some invented thing created by James to discuss race.

Huh? Why are the police racist? This question is a bit off the rails.

You calling it "garbage" is interesting.

And I've already said that my political beliefs might play a part.

At the end of the day, there are two possible stories...

A) someone vandalized the gate. James spoke about it.

B) James faked this entire thing to get an excuse to talk about race.

Given how f'ed up it is to do something as silly as invent an internet wife on a nothing forum, it would be a million times more messed up to invent something as massive as this. I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that James is that crazy, and given how much racist stuff happens every day, I think it is far more reasonable to think that someone vandalized his gate.
My apologies to the board for even bringing it up. You believe him. I don't. We have many subjects that have differing opinions. We're good.

Jerry Rice, though.

Against Dallas what his numbers?
About 18, 7, 7. And nearly a decade ago. No one has argued he played poorly in this series. Ever. But quit? Absurd. His problem is he deferred too much to his buddy, Wade, and didn't take advantage of being the best player on the court....like the did the next season.

not trying in the 2nd half of the final game made him a quitter, but you're cool with that cause it didn't affect his impressive series stats.
watched the game, other than not liking him there's nothing for you to suggest he quit.

You hate Lebron, and love MJ. I get it. Might as well just say "everything MJ good, Lebron bad" instead of embarrassing yourself.

I think if anyone is a love this guy, hate that guy it is you.

I don’t hate him at all. I like the guy. I watched it as well. He kind of quit. It was weird.

I also like Jordan but was honestly more, way more, of a ‘Nique guy. I think Jordan is the best but think there are legit discussions to be had.

I think if anyone is a love this guy, hate that guy it is you.

I don’t hate him at all. I like the guy. I watched it as well. He kind of quit. It was weird.

I also like Jordan but was honestly more, way more, of a ‘Nique guy. I think Jordan is the best but think there are legit discussions to be had.
What part of "I never liked Lebron" has you confused? Calling him a passive aggressive drama queen?

I think he's an ass.....but a great player and in the conversation for the GOAT.

And, no, he did not quit against Dallas. Poor series? sure. Where he probably did quit, though, was the playoff series the year prior against Boston.

I felt like you were saying he hadn’t quit. Maybe that was someone else.

He is definitely a great player. No question about that.

I felt like you were saying he hadn’t quit. Maybe that was someone else.

He is definitely a great player. No question about that.
I don't think he ever quit in the Finals. Against Boston a decade ago? I don't doubt it.

I feel like people who accuse Lebron of quitting are some of the same people who watch a team lose a game and chalk it up to some impossible-to-quantify, impossible-to-really know thing like "They wanted it more" or "They didn't play hard" instead of Xs and Os reasons. It is VERY unlikely that one of the top athletes in the world just gave up competing, especially in one of the biggest games of his life.

Last edited:
I feel like people who accuse Lebron of quitting are some of the same people who watch a team lose a game and chalk it up to some impossible-to-quantify, impossible-to-really know thing like "They wanted it more" or "They didn't play hard" instead of Xs and Os reasons.
I agree.....what it really boils down to is fans (or even media) will blame who they don't like for every loss. A coach, ref, player they hate, etc.

Rarely can they ever just credit the other team either. If a team goes nuts and hits 18-38 3s it has to be poor defense (and probably a coach they don't like), even though a team is probably better off letting said team shoot 3s as they are a poor shooting team who happened to get hot one night.

Opposite can be true, as well. Like the coach (Brad Stevens)? At least then the fans will blame the players.

Maybe...but he needs a guy like Lebron (or MJ) to get him his wide open shot.
Absolutely and even then I am still taking Jordan or James to take the shot over Horry. I could name many other I would rather have take the final shot as well. Horry makes 4-5 shots and he is all of the sudden this cult hero of clutchness. Guys like James, Kobe, MJ, Bird, ect...made many more big time shots all the while having the full attention of every defense they faced in those situations. I am fairly certain in the huddle before the last shot goes up, not many opposing teams coaches were saying "we have to try and keep the ball out of Horry's hands and let Kobe or Shaq beat us instead."

He's an asshole because some guy he was friends with talked shit on a golf course might very well be the dumbest take ever on this board. We are all a little dumber for having read that.
Not just any friend, a life-long friend who was a pallbearer at his dad's funeral. If you can't make a connection, I don't know what to tell your dumbass.

Absolutely and even then I am still taking Jordan or James to take the shot over Horry. I could name many other I would rather have take the final shot as well. Horry makes 4-5 shots and he is all of the sudden this cult hero of clutchness. Guys like James, Kobe, MJ, Bird, ect...made many more big time shots all the while having the full attention of every defense they faced in those situations. I am fairly certain in the huddle before the last shot goes up, not many opposing teams coaches were saying "we have to try and keep the ball out of Horry's hands and let Kobe or Shaq beat us instead."

Agree the Horry legend is a little bit like the MJ could hit game winners unlike Bron. Considering, MJ 5-11 and Bron 7-13 on go-ahead shots in the final 5 seconds of regulation or OT. And Bron with 5 buzzer beaters to MJ's 3. But, you know, Bron isn't clutch. Winking

LeBron could win 7 rings and the people that jerk off to Space Jam posters would still say "LOL he needed to make the finals 13 times to do it!"
Yea, I understand i'm in the minority. A lot of fans won't be convinced one way or the other, they are just too biased. I like both guys, though. LeBron certainly still has opportunity

I never liked either one as a person but I respect the hell out of their game and I have a hard time deciding which one as the best. Thankfully some of the trash they have done off the court, like Lebrons racist graffiti hoax to fit his agenda at the time, doesn't affect me when watching them on the court.

I feel like people who accuse Lebron of quitting are some of the same people who watch a team lose a game and chalk it up to some impossible-to-quantify, impossible-to-really know thing like "They wanted it more" or "They didn't play hard" instead of Xs and Os reasons. It is VERY unlikely that one of the top athletes in the world just gave up competing, especially in one of the biggest games of his life.

This is not true though. I think the whole 'effort' and 'wanted it more' stuff is all complete nonsense. However, I can remember watching James a few times in the playoffs and thinking he wasn't really being as competitive as he could be. Now, maybe he was just pissed about something and thus not trying to take over for some reason or another. Still, it wasn't a good look and is sort of a common knock. It isn't really unique to this board.

About 18, 7, 7. And nearly a decade ago. No one has argued he played poorly in this series. Ever. But quit? Absurd. His problem is he deferred too much to his buddy, Wade, and didn't take advantage of being the best player on the court....like the did the next season.

He went to sleep in that series plain and simple. MJ in the finals was a beast and his record proves that. You can’t be considered the GOAT if that happens.

This is not true though. I think the whole 'effort' and 'wanted it more' stuff is all complete nonsense. However, I can remember watching James a few times in the playoffs and thinking he wasn't really being as competitive as he could be. Now, maybe he was just pissed about something and thus not trying to take over for some reason or another. Still, it wasn't a good look and is sort of a common knock. It isn't really unique to this board.
I don't think there's any question he quit in the first game of the Finals last year after overtime started

He went to sleep in that series plain and simple. MJ in the finals was a beast and his record proves that. You can’t be considered the GOAT if that happens.
Yeah....Lebron probably should have learned from MJ and gone down BEFORE the Finals.

Silly him.

Reactions: 829305
I don't think there's any question he quit in the first game of the Finals last year after overtime started
you think he has a game like that and because some guy makes a bonehead play he's giving up with the game still tied in OT?

you think he has a game like that and because some guy makes a bonehead play he's giving up with the game still tied in OT?

See, that's the thing that I don't get. Why on earth would one of the most accomplished athletes on the planet give up in OT of a tied game or whatever in the NBA Finals? These guys are all super competitive and driven... what's the logic behind them giving up?

See, that's the thing that I don't get. Why on earth would one of the most accomplished athletes on the planet give up in OT of a tied game or whatever in the NBA Finals? These guys are all super competitive and driven... what's the logic behind them giving up?
because the person who makes those comments doesn't like them.....so no logic.

Reactions: 829305
Well, I know I'm not the GOAT;), cause I quit on em after that. Ha. Left the bar immediately after regulation and went and bummed a cigarette, even though I hadn't smoked in years. Such a brutal fvcking loss.

I think he was extremely frustrated and yes, let it get to him after the RJ play. I'm not one to bring up 08 Boston or the 14 Spurs as signs he quit. But just watching the game, its seemed LeBron checked out after the start of overtime. Dude didn't even attempt a shot until halfway through the period. Even former players are on record after watching him. I'd say they have a pretty good idea of what a player working hard looks like.

Not trying to take away how great he was for the entire game, but for OT, I think its pretty fair to argue he gave up.

I don't think it has anything to do with logic. I think he is kind of fragile at times as a competitor. Again, there are many people who like Lebron and even defend him who have this take. Surely this isn't the first time you have heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT