ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk All American team...

Southside Hoosier Fan

Dec 11, 2004
This is the year of the big man...Team could easily be 5 forward/Centers

To me right now you have 3 definites...Edey, Trace Jackson Davis, and Timme.

What does the team look like to others?

It’ll probably have a representative or two from the best conference in recent memory, and none of those guys are PFs or centers.

Reactions: KUhawks34

Not sure TJD is a definite yet but he's trending that way.

I'd say Jalen Wilson and Brandon Miller are more "definite" at this point. Tubelis is the other guy I'd consider right now.

Continuing with the big man trend Bacot has to be at least considered. I think he should win ACC POTY. It would be tough to put him over some of those guys though.

I agree Edey, Timme, and Jackson-Davis would be slightly ahead (Edey way ahead).

Not sure TJD is a definite yet but he's trending that way.

I'd say Jalen Wilson and Brandon Miller are more "definite" at this point. Tubelis is the other guy I'd consider right now.
19.8/10.8/3,6apg/3.2bpg---58% FGA... Four 30 point game....Triple-double as well.

I mean IMO dude would have to fall off a cliff not to be 1st team....

19.8/10.8/3,6apg/3.2bpg---58% FGA... Four 30 point game....Triple-double as well.

I mean IMO dude would have to fall off a cliff not to be 1st team....
Now compare those stats to Tubelis, Jalen Wilson and Brandon Miller.

Now compare those stats to Tubelis, Jalen Wilson and Brandon Miller.
Sure-----

Wilson 21ppg,/ 8rpg/2.6apg/,5bpg---Three 30 point games---No triple double. Only better PPG.

Miller 19ppg/8.1/1.8apg/.08bpg----Two 30 point games. TJD is statistically better across the board.

Tuebillis 20ppg/9.6/2.1apg/.09 bpg----One 30 point game. No triple double. More PPG by .2

Where is the separation you were apparently looking for? Or just pointing out how close?

Sure they re close, BUT.......TJD is a much better passer, and changes the game on both ends(3.2 blocks per game)----None of the others even average 1 block.

He(TJD) is just as deserving right now than any dude in CBB. If he played anywhere but Indiana, I would get no argument out of you.

Sure-----

Wilson 21ppg,/ 8rpg/2.6apg/,5bpg---Three 30 point games---No triple double. Only better PPG.

Miller 19ppg/8.1/1.8apg/.08bpg----Two 30 point games. TJD is statistically better across the board.

Tuebillis 20ppg/9.6/2.1apg/.09 bpg----One 30 point game. No triple double. More PPG by .2

Where is the separation you were apparently looking for? Or just pointing out how close?

Sure they re close, BUT.......TJD is a much better passer, and changes the game on both ends(3.2 blocks per game)----None of the others even average 1 block.

He(TJD) is just as deserving right now than any dude in CBB. If he played anywhere but Indiana, I would get no argument out of you.
Yep. Pointing out how close. All are very good and leading top 10 teams.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yep. Pointing out how close. All are very good and leading top 10 teams.
Difference is, to some extent, none were pre-season AA----TJD was. And has lived up to it. Not to mentuion, Trayce is leading a pretty good Indiana team.

His numbers are as good as anyones. Not to mention, his passing and shot blocking abilities separate him from most.

If you are a preseason AA, and currently putting up the numbers he is, how do you keep him off?

Difference is, to some extent, none were pre-season AA----TJD was. And has lived up to it. Not to mentuion, Trayce is leading a pretty good Indiana team.

His numbers are as good as anyones. Not to mention, his passing and shot blocking abilities separate him from most.

If you are a preseason AA, and currently putting up the numbers he is, how do you keep him off?
Mo idea why preseason should matter at all. I look at what they’ve done individually and for their teams.

Mo idea why preseason should matter at all. I look at what they’ve done individually and for their teams.
Ok, so how do you keep TJD off? Remove him from Indiana......Yikes. Dude is Averaging 19/10/3/3...He impacts the game just as much on the defensive end....Very good passer. Has one triple double, and damn near had a second: 18/24/8 vs NW.. He had 31 points, 15 boards, 4 assist, 5 blocks vs MSU....9 blocks vs Kansas....

I don't put much hype into preseason awards as well, BUT......If you'reon there, IMO, you have to play your way off, OR, there be someone that has such a season that they knock you off.

He hasn't played his way off.....And cannot think of anyone who's had the type of year that would push him off....

IMO he's easily a First team guy right now.

Ok, so how do you keep TJD off? Remove him from Indiana......Yikes. Dude is Averaging 19/10/3/3...He impacts the game just as much on the defensive end....Very good passer. Has one triple double, and damn near had a second: 18/24/8 vs NW.. He had 31 points, 15 boards, 4 assist, 5 blocks vs MSU....9 blocks vs Kansas....

I don't put much hype into preseason awards as well, BUT......If you'reon there, IMO, you have to play your way off, OR, there be someone that has such a season that they knock you off.

He hasn't played his way off.....And cannot think of anyone who's had the type of year that would push him off....

IMO he's easily a First team guy right now.
Again, because I’ve watched a lot of the other guys too.

Again, because I’ve watched a lot of the other guys too.
Ok...sure.

TJD is Top 25 in scoring.....Top 10 in rebounding.....#2 in blocked shots----But only guy you feel is a lock is Edey.....A Purdue player.

Sounds legit... 🤣

If 1st team AA was announced today, I have zero doubt TJD would be on it.

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
Ok...sure.

TJD is Top 25 in scoring.....Top 10 in rebounding.....#2 in blocked shots----But only guy you feel is a lock is Edey.....A Purdue player.

Sounds legit... 🤣

If 1st team AA was announced today, I have zero doubt TJD would be on it.
Timme and Jalen Wilson are locks too.

Still a lot of games left but Jalen Wilson is as much as a sure thing Edey is. Those are the two NPOY candidates.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
One name that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Jalen Pickett. Penn State is a bubble team, so that doesn't help his cause. But he's someone who's capable of putting up a triple-double in any given game. Averaging 17 ppg, 8 reb, 7 ast.

Brandon Miller, Alabama
Jalen Wilson, Kansas
Trayce-Jackson Davis, Indiana
Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
Zach Edey, Purdue

Timme gets 2nd Team All-American for the 3rd year in a row...

Yep. Still taking Tubelis over Timme on the 1st Team. Dude was on fire last night.

FoBQVp8X0AAblUz

Brandon Miller, Alabama
Jalen Wilson, Kansas
Trayce-Jackson Davis, Indiana
Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
Zach Edey, Purdue

Timme gets 2nd Team All-American for the 3rd year in a row...
Tubelis? Seriously? The guy didn't do crap for me last year when he was on my team.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Edey, Wilson and Tubelis are locks imo.

Tubelis? Seriously? The guy didn't do crap for me last year when he was on my team.

He was 1st Team All-Conference last year. And I had him rated as the 28th most impactful player in 2021-22. Had him at #15 in preseason ranking.

Probably should have been Honorable Mention All-American last year. Arizona had the best regular season last year in all of college basketball and I feel like he was their 2nd most valuable player (you could debate Koloko).

But yeah, he's crushing it this year. He'll either be 1st or 2nd Team All-American. But the way he's been playing lately, I think he's more deserving than Drew Timme, TJD, or Brandon Miller.

Reactions: englandnu
Cannot argue with Edey......33 and 18 yesterday.

But TJD is slowly getting there, TBH. 25/7 yesterday. Last 6 games, dude has been really,really fukin good. I mean when the announcer says(vs Maryland)---"Both IU studs are off tonight..."---And then follows with, "TJD with only 16 points and 20 rebounds.............."

I mean , "ONLY" 16 and 20?

Tubelis, Wilson, TJD, Timme, Miller and anybody else fighting for four spots IMO..

I don't think some on here have watched much of Miller.
He is deserving as an all around player.

TJD is a lock
Edey is a lock
Wilson is a lock

the 2 other spots are open for debate.

Wilson a lock over Tubelis makes no sense to me. Arizona is rated higher in every poll, and Wilson and Tubelis have very similar numbers, though Tubelis is playing 5 less minutes a game less. He's much more efficient that Wilson.

Jalen Wilson (Kansas is 18-5, #8 AP, #11 KenPom, #10 Net Rankings)
35.7 min, 21.5 ppg, 8.6 reb, 2.5 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.5 blk, 49.6% efg, 22.4 Player Efficiency Rating

Azuolas Tubelis (Arizona is 21-3, #5 AP, #10 KenPm, #9 Net Rankings)
30.5 min, 20.8 ppg, 9.5 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.1 stl, 0.8 blk, 57.3%, 58.6% efg, 30.1 Player Efficiency Rating

Reactions: F-Duke
Wilson a lock over Tubelis makes no sense to me. Arizona is rated higher in every poll, and Wilson and Tubelis have very similar numbers, though Tubelis is playing 5 less minutes a game less. He's much more efficient that Wilson.

Jalen Wilson (Kansas is 18-5, #8 AP, #11 KenPom, #10 Net Rankings)
35.7 min, 21.5 ppg, 8.6 reb, 2.5 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.5 blk, 49.6% efg, 22.4 Player Efficiency Rating

Azuolas Tubelis (Arizona is 21-3, #5 AP, #10 KenPm, #9 Net Rankings)
30.5 min, 20.8 ppg, 9.5 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.1 stl, 0.8 blk, 57.3%, 58.6% efg, 30.1 Player Efficiency Rating
Yep. After Edey, there are 6 or 7 guys that are very close IMO. I actually think KenPom’s kPOY is pretty darn close to correct right now. Look how close 2-7 are.

The only guys on this list who aren’t legit 1st team candidates IMO are Pickett and Castleton. And that’s due to their lack of team success.

PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Zach Edey, Purdue
7-4 · 290 · Jr · Toronto, ON
2Jalen Wilson, Kansas
6-8 · 225 · Jr · Denton, TX
3Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
6-9 · 245 · Jr · Greenwood, IN
4Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
6-11 · 245 · Jr · Vilnius, Lithuania
5Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6-10 · 235 · Sr · Richardson, TX
6Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
6-7 · 225 · Sr · Camarillo, CA
7Brandon Miller, Alabama
6-9 · 200 · Fr · Antioch, TN
8Jalen Pickett, Penn St.
6-4 · 209 · Sr · Rochester, NY
9Marcus Sasser, Houston
6-2 · 195 · Sr · Dallas, TX
10Colin Castleton, Florida
6-11 · 250 · Sr · Deland, FL

Yep. After Edey, there are 6 or 7 guys that are very close IMO. I actually think KenPom’s kPOY is pretty darn close to correct right now. Look how close 2-7 are.

The only guys on this list who aren’t legit 1st team candidates IMO are Pickett and Castleton. And that’s due to their lack of team success.

PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Zach Edey, Purdue
7-4 · 290 · Jr · Toronto, ON
2Jalen Wilson, Kansas
6-8 · 225 · Jr · Denton, TX
3Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
6-9 · 245 · Jr · Greenwood, IN
4Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
6-11 · 245 · Jr · Vilnius, Lithuania
5Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6-10 · 235 · Sr · Richardson, TX
6Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
6-7 · 225 · Sr · Camarillo, CA
7Brandon Miller, Alabama
6-9 · 200 · Fr · Antioch, TN
8Jalen Pickett, Penn St.
6-4 · 209 · Sr · Rochester, NY
9Marcus Sasser, Houston
6-2 · 195 · Sr · Dallas, TX
10Colin Castleton, Florida
6-11 · 250 · Sr · Deland, FL

That seems fair. I really feel like there are 6 guys competing for those 5 spots on 1st Team. Edey, Wilson, TJD, Tubelis, Timme, and Miller. Obviously Edey is a 100% lock, so you could say 5 guys competing for 4 spots.

If I'm looking at the numbers and the success of teams, I feel like Timme should be the odd man out. Just given the name recognition, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Timme makes 1st Team over someone like a Tubelis, or perhaps Brandon Miller.

Tshiebwe, Sasser, and Jaquez aren't completely of the equation, but they've got a considerable amount of ground to make up in the next few weeks.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11

Looks like we are right on.

NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Zach Edey, Purdue

FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
1) Zach Edey, Purdue: 300 (30 first-place votes)
2) Jalen Wilson, Kansas: 245
3) Brandon Miller, Alabama: 204
4) Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona: 189
5) Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana: 183

SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
6) Drew Timme, Gonzaga: 170
7) Jaime Jaquez Jr., UCLA: 59
8) Marcus Sasser, Houston: 55
9) Jalen Pickett, Penn State: 47
10) Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky: 36

THIRD TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
11) Markquis Nowell, Kansas State: 27
12) Kendric Davis, Memphis: 23
13) Keyontae Johnson, Kansas State: 19
T14) Armando Bacot, North Carolina: 18
T14) Mike Miles, TCU: 18

FOURTH TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
16) Tyler Kolek, Marquette: 13
17) Kris Murray, Iowa: 11
18) Souley Boum, Xavier: 10
19) Keyonte George, Baylor: 6
20) Antoine Davis, Detroit Mercy: 5

FIFTH TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
T21) Adama Sanogo, UConn: 4
T21) Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton: 4
23) Isaiah Wong, Miami: 3
24) Terquavion Smith, NC State: 2
25) Bryce Hopkins, Providence: 1

Reactions: dukedevilz

Looks like we are right on.

NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Zach Edey, Purdue

FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
1) Zach Edey, Purdue: 300 (30 first-place votes)
2) Jalen Wilson, Kansas: 245
3) Brandon Miller, Alabama: 204
4) Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona: 189
5) Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana: 183

SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
6) Drew Timme, Gonzaga: 170
7) Jaime Jaquez Jr., UCLA: 59
8) Marcus Sasser, Houston: 55
9) Jalen Pickett, Penn State: 47
10) Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky: 36

THIRD TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
11) Markquis Nowell, Kansas State: 27
12) Kendric Davis, Memphis: 23
13) Keyontae Johnson, Kansas State: 19
T14) Armando Bacot, North Carolina: 18
T14) Mike Miles, TCU: 18

FOURTH TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
16) Tyler Kolek, Marquette: 13
17) Kris Murray, Iowa: 11
18) Souley Boum, Xavier: 10
19) Keyonte George, Baylor: 6
20) Antoine Davis, Detroit Mercy: 5

FIFTH TEAM ALL-AMERICANS
T21) Adama Sanogo, UConn: 4
T21) Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton: 4
23) Isaiah Wong, Miami: 3
24) Terquavion Smith, NC State: 2
25) Bryce Hopkins, Providence: 1

This is a good list. Love that Tyler Kolek is rated that highly. He started off slow, but he's been a machine the last month or so.

And nice to see that these guys agree with me on Timme. He should be the odd man out. Wilson, Miller, Tubelis, and TJD are all more deserving. If Gonzaga was having a dominant year like they were in 2021 or 2022, then I'd give him the nod. But, they're not exceptionally elite this year, so he doesn't deserve 1st Team honors, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT