ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Thread

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC all have their threads. We need one, too.

I thought this would be a three-team race between UNC, Duke, and Clemson. And I also thought the ACC POY would be a 3-person race between RJ Davis, Kyle Filipowski, and PJ Hall. But, Clemson has started off 1-3. Who knows? Things could look completely different a month from now.

Virginia lost to Notre Dame by over 20 points. Louisville beat Miami on the road. FSU, after a mostly underwhelming OOC season, has started off the new year with 3 straight wins. Plenty of interesting headlines.

If Clemson wants to have any chance to win the ACC they will have to beat UNC and Duke on the road

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
If Clemson wants to have any chance to win the ACC they will have to beat UNC and Duke on the road

Most likely, yes. I don't see Duke and UNC dropping too many games. Probably 5 or fewer losses for both schools. A couple weeks ago I thought this was going to be Clemson's year to win their first ACC crown in more than 30 years. Starting ACC play at 1-3 has certainly put them in a huge hole. Their margin for error is razor thin.

Most likely, yes. I don't see Duke and UNC dropping too many games. Probably 5 or fewer losses for both schools. A couple weeks ago I thought this was going to be Clemson's year to win their first ACC crown in more than 30 years. Starting ACC play at 1-3 has certainly put them in a huge hole. Their margin for error is razor thin.
Man...I just don't see anyway in which Duke/UNC lose more than 2-3 conference games.

In just looking at Duke's schedule, dear goodness...outside of UNC twice, where is the concern? At Miami? Clemson at Cameron?

Reactions: TKBray
Projected ACC standings:

1 Duke and North Carolina 17-3
3 Wake Forest, NC State, FSU, Va Tech, Virginia, Miami, Cuse, Notre Dame, Clemson, BC, Ga Tech 10-10
14 Pitt and Louisville 3-17

Reactions: GE Nole
Duke has a pretty easy ACC schedule this year for sure. UNC has benefited from that in the past so it's just the way it goes. Right now it does seem hard to not see one of those schools winning the conference.

I thought UVA and Miami would be better. I'll say 4 teams get in and that's a major stretch.
Those 2 teams at the top are legit FF contenders though.

But the fact that the ACC is this weak in basketball, shows that these things change quickly. The ACC was the premier conference just a few years ago.

Now, with conference realignment and coaches retiring, who knows what conference will take over at the top and for how long.

Man...I just don't see anyway in which Duke/UNC lose more than 2-3 conference games.

In just looking at Duke's schedule, dear goodness...outside of UNC twice, where is the concern? At Miami? Clemson at Cameron?

Just glancing at the schedules and the metrics, yes, that'd be my first instinct - 2 or 3 losses. But, good teams always find a way to lose to average or even below average teams on the road. This week is a perfect example. And heck, we already lost to Georgia Tech.

The 2022 Duke team that made the Final Four went 16-4 in conference play, and by KenPom's numbers, the ACC is slightly better now than they were in 2022. As it is, Duke and UNC are both favored to win all of their games, except when they go on the road to play the other team. Though, if your odds of winning a game against a typical ACC team is around 80%, which are certainly favorable odds, that still means you'll lose 1 out of every 5 games.

Free agency… I mean the transfer portal, has made things way more volatile year-to-year.

My pick to finish with the regular season 1 seed is UNC. But obviously Duke could push for it. I think a couple more teams have the ability to get hot and win the ACC Championship, like a Clemson, Miami, Wake, or even VT.

Miami has fantastic starters but their depth is awful. You just can’t play a 20 game conference grind with their level of depth and not expect to drop 5-6 games. Guys get banged up and tired too easily.

Speaking of depth, FSU obviously looks better now that Primo Spears is eligible, Jaylan Gainey is getting healthier, and Taylor Bol Bowen is figuring out college. Still, there just isn’t any legit NBA talent like Ham had from 2017-2021 (or 2007-2012), so I can’t see much better than 10-10. Which means NIT at best given the slop they showed in non-con.

Reactions: TKBray
Syracuse is the most telling barometer in the difference between good teams and the rest that I’ve ever seen. They will finish with a good enough record, winning the games they should. By God, they’ll lose to every good team they play by 20+, though.

North Carolina is legit. Hubert is doing a great job with this team.

Hard to believe that an all time great UNC basketball player under Dean Smith before being a high level pro playing under Pat Riley before becoming the top assistant under Roy Williams is actually a good coach, so I will call this a fluke just like 2022 was a fluke.

Carolina might be the most complete team in the country. Good guards, wings, and bigs. They’re going to be hard to beat.

Syracuse is the most telling barometer in the difference between good teams and the rest that I’ve ever seen. They will finish with a good enough record, winning the games they should. By God, they’ll lose to every good team they play by 20+, though.

The Forwards are bad. Just bad. And Maliq Brown is stuck playing out of position at Center because the Centers are god awful.

Mintz is alright. Starling is not as good as advertised and not a good fit alongside Mintz.

I hope the committed recruits Cuse has stay committed. If that happens and Starling plays better at PG (Mintz likely gone), Cuse has a chance next year to be borderline good.

Hard to believe that an all time great UNC basketball player under Dean Smith before being a high level pro playing under Pat Riley before becoming the top assistant under Roy Williams is actually a good coach, so I will call this a fluke just like 2022 was a fluke.
2022 was most definitely a fluke, as evidenced by the following year.

As for this year, UNC and Duke will both benefit from being in an absolutely atrocious conference.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC71-00

Yeah, I think they have only had two games decided by single digits. Win or lose it's usually not very close.

2022 was most definitely a fluke, as evidenced by the following year.

As for this year, UNC and Duke will both benefit from being in an absolutely atrocious conference.

Good point. Carolina had looked terrible this year against Quad 1

North Carolina is legit. Hubert is doing a great job with this team.

He really is. Has adjusted and learned over the last couple of years and has a team that is playing good defense, improving offense, and finally getting after it on the boards. Their talent is a little lacking to some of the other top teams but they play very well together and have a lot more potential IF Cadeau figures it out this year.

Good point. Carolina had looked terrible this year against Quad 1
That doesn't really do anything to refute my point...UNC was 8 seed in 2022. They were subpar the entire regular season. Caleb Love got hot and made ridiculous shot after ridiculous shot throughout the tourney. 2023 proved how much of a fluke that was as UNC had a terrible regular season and missed the tourney. The 2022 and 2023 regular seasons were very similar.

As for this year, never said UNC wasn't having a good year. But they also had two not so good regular seasons under Davis (which are his only two years on record). This year would appear to be the outlier, thus far.

And yes, the ACC blows...UNC and Duke have a joke of a conference schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC71-00
Duke escaped getting swept by Ga Tech.
Just when you think Duke is turning a corner, they put up a head scratcher. GT came into the game 1-3 in conference games with the 1 being against Duke. Sometimes you can chalk up losses or struggles to match ups. But I don't know about this. There are excuses to be made, but I'll save my breath. This Duke team could be a 1st or 2nd round exit, or an EE team. Really have no idea.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
One year of good playing does not make an all time great.

Just when you think Duke is turning a corner, they put up a head scratcher. GT came into the game 1-3 in conference games with the 1 being against Duke. Sometimes you can chalk up losses or struggles to match ups. But I don't know about this. There are excuses to be made, but I'll save my breath. This Duke team could be a 1st or 2nd round exit, or an EE team. Really have no idea.
They dont play good D and when that one kid in the second half was torching them, Jon did nothing.

Mark was out and Roach got hurt but yeah this was a head scratching game. Hopefully Proctor turns the corner and plays like one of the best guards in the country going forward. That’ll be key.

The Wake Forest/NC State matchup is the highest rated ACC game this week, according to KenPom. Both are likely bubble teams, with Wake having a little better resume thus far.

The Wake Forest/NC State matchup is the highest rated ACC game this week, according to KenPom. Both are likely bubble teams, with Wake having a little better resume thus far.

I like State by a smidge but should be a good game.

If FSU can get Miami into a track meet, I could see it wearing down the Canes who have limited depth. That said, I really would have liked to have played them without Wooga Poplar lol.

I like State by a smidge but should be a good game.

If FSU can get Miami into a track meet, I could see it wearing down the Canes who have limited depth. That said, I really would have liked to have played them without Wooga Poplar lol.

I think State squeaks by as well. It's their football team that has issues with WF.

Kevin Keats getting a double tech ejection before the under 4 media timeout in the first half sure didn’t help State. 4 FTs and the ball for Wake.

Second tech was weak but still, can’t be that far out on the court. You killed your team.

Kevin Keats getting a double tech ejection before the under 4 media timeout in the first half sure didn’t help State. 4 FTs and the ball for Wake.

Second tech was weak but still, can’t be that far out on the court. You killed your team.
Didn’t he get tossed in the Vegas tournament too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT