ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Bracketology - ACC and B1G Party

I only commented because RipThru said MSU on the 1 line was laughable. To me they are ranked about right at 6, but having them as a 1 seed can very easily be argued and in fact justified. Especially if you have actually watched them play, not just the first game of the year
Really? Please make the argument that MSU should be a #1 seed over UT at this point in the season.

Tennessee was clearly the better of UT/UL. MSU lost to UL, there is nothing to support MSU being better than UT at this point.

I mostly agree but transitive property when you play a true road game is different. Louisville lost to Pitt. UNC beat Pitt by 30. Louisville just beat UNC by 20.

Having said that I wouldn’t consider MSU a better team right now. Our starting SG is out and his backup just injured his back. Which is tough to lose your starting SG plus the guys backup. I think MSU will drop a couple games with them both out in the next few weeks.

We play UM twice in the span of 2 weeks to end the season so we will have our shot to get elite wins.

I mostly agree but transitive property when you play a true road game is different. Louisville lost to Pitt. UNC beat Pitt by 30. Louisville just beat UNC by 20.

Having said that I wouldn’t consider MSU a better team right now. Our starting SG is out and his backup just injured his back. Which is tough to lose your starting SG plus the guys backup. I think MSU will drop a couple games with them both out in the next few weeks.

We play UM twice in the span of 2 weeks to end the season so we will have our shot to get elite wins.
The transitive thingie might muddy things, but according to ESPN stats, Tennessee’s +70 margin of victory in its first two conference games is the largest such margin for any major conference team in the last 20 years.

UT has been holding serve...

I'm not so sure it's laughable. They lost to a healthy Kansas team in the first game of the season. They lost to Louisville, at Louisville, in overtime. Those are their only losses. They've also played the 15th strongest schedule.

I agree Gonzaga and Tennessee probably have a better case right now, but that's not the question. Also, both of those teams strength of schedule is greater than 100.

Agreed...MSU lost @ Louisville without Matt McQuaid, who is the best on-ball defender MSU has. Even so, MSU bricked some FT's that would have iced the game and ended up taking the L in OT. Also, did you see Louisville pound UNC on the road this weekend?

Additionally, MSU has won the last 4 or 5 games without Josh Langford in the lineup, who is the second best guard on the team behind Cassius Winston.

To me, there's not much difference between a #1 and #2 anyway so I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it either way...especially in mid-January.

ADVERTISEMENT