ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Bracketology - ACC and B1G Party

sgrooms

Jan 27, 2010
The latest ESPN Bracketology has two ACC teams and two B1G teams as the #1 seeds.

Duke
Michigan St
Virginia
Michigan

Tennessee and Gonzaga fans wouldn't like it, but I could see those four staying there until the end of the season. Is it just a race between those 6 now? Do TexasTech and Kansas have a shot?

The latest ESPN Bracketology has two ACC teams and two B1G teams as the #1 seeds.

Duke
Michigan St
Virginia
Michigan

Tennessee and Gonzaga fans wouldn't like it, but I could see those four staying there until the end of the season. Is it just a race between those 6 now? Do TexasTech and Kansas have a shot?

Duke and UVA play twice and UM and MSU play twice. There is zero chance it remains like this. I honestly think Lunardi is just putting it this way for interest. I would put Gonz and TN ahead of Mich St. right now.

Duke and UVA play twice and UM and MSU play twice. There is zero chance it remains like this. I honestly think Lunardi is just putting it this way for interest. I would put Gonz and TN ahead of Mich St. right now.

Well that's just not true. There are plenty of ways it remains like this, the easiest would be if all of those teams get a split in those games. Even if a team lost both of those games, what if those are their only remaining losses for the season? What if Gonzaga and Tennessee both get a few more losses? Numerous ways it remains.

Michigan State as a 1 is laughable.

I'm not so sure it's laughable. They lost to a healthy Kansas team in the first game of the season. They lost to Louisville, at Louisville, in overtime. Those are their only losses. They've also played the 15th strongest schedule.

I agree Gonzaga and Tennessee probably have a better case right now, but that's not the question. Also, both of those teams strength of schedule is greater than 100.

Tennessee has a better resume but I think MSU wins that game head to head. MSU is 3rd in Kenpom behind the Duke and Virginia.

Reactions: sgrooms
I'm not so sure it's laughable. They lost to a healthy Kansas team in the first game of the season. They lost to Louisville, at Louisville, in overtime. Those are their only losses. They've also played the 15th strongest schedule.

I agree Gonzaga and Tennessee probably have a better case right now, but that's not the question. Also, both of those teams strength of schedule is greater than 100.

And TN's only loss is to the same healthy KU team in OT on a neutral court while also beating the then #1 team Gonz and UL on neutral courts. Come on, be a little realistic here. Saying the overall SOS is better while not pointing out the better wins for both TN and Gonz is absurd. You can cherry pick your stats all you want.

Reactions: della and RipThru
MSU has been playing like a 1 seed since they lost to Louisville. If they finish the season with 4 or 5 losses, I'm sure they'll still be a 1-seed. As of right now, I would put Tennessee ahead of Michigan State.

Gonzaga, however, I think is fine on the 2-line. Might even put UNC or Va Tech over them. I realize neither of their losses are bad (Tennessee/UNC), but their win over Duke might be their only win over a tournament team. They have 3 other good/decent wins in the likes of Creighton, Arizona, and Washington, but they all have the makeup of NIT teams at this point.

Reactions: MGC_07
I'd say SOS is the difference between Tenn and MSU and MSU has more quality wins. Only thing Tenn has over MSU is they beat UofL on a neutral court while MSU lost @UofL in OT. That one game isn't enough to ignore the quality of wins and SOS.

MSU/Tenn wins KP ranking
17/4
21/39
26/78
30/84
36/90
61/102
68/158

To have Gonzaga as a 2 is fine, but to have UNC or Tech above them, I don't agree with.

Hell, I like Texas Tech better than either of those two.

Reactions: C*A*T*S
To have Gonzaga as a 2 is fine, but to have UNC or Tech above them, I don't agree with.

Hell, I like Texas Tech better than either of those two.

Texas Tech is already at the 2 line. But remember, I said "might", not definitely. I'm fine with Gonzaga at the 2 line, but like I said, they really only have one win against a tournament team. The road win at Creighton, however, is considered a tier-1 win... and if Arizona climbs a few more spots (currently #55), that neutral court game would also be a tier-1 win.

Reactions: RipThru
I have seen them play, and Tennessee would kick their ass in my opinion.

Best win is prolly Ohio State?
Have you seen us play recently?

Look, I’m not saying more deserving. I’d give it Tennessee right now. But MSU is really, really good. We also won @OSU without our 15 PPG start Josh Langford.

I would lean MSU on a neutral court.

And TN's only loss is to the same healthy KU team in OT on a neutral court while also beating the then #1 team Gonz and UL on neutral courts. Come on, be a little realistic here. Saying the overall SOS is better while not pointing out the better wins for both TN and Gonz is absurd. You can cherry pick your stats all you want.

You can cherry pick my statements all you want. I said Gonzaga and UT probably have a better case.

The Texas Tech hype is truly laughable, after big12 play they will be a 4 seed at best so get s grip... With the UT vs MSU debate, how do you even compare the 2, KU was up 17 in the first half on MSU and got bored, UT would curb stomp Izzos sub par team gmafb.

The Texas Tech hype is truly laughable, after big12 play they will be a 4 seed at best so get s grip... With the UT vs MSU debate, how do you even compare the 2, KU was up 17 in the first half on MSU and got bored, UT would curb stomp Izzos sub par team gmafb.

Where did Tech hurt you. Point to it on the therapy doll.

With the UT vs MSU debate, how do you even compare the 2, KU was up 17 in the first half on MSU and got bored, UT would curb stomp Izzos sub par team gmafb.

KU was up that far because their freshman shot out of their minds.

Quinton Grimes hit 6 3-pointers against MSU. He has only hit 6 total combined in the last 7 games, on 28 attempts. He's 29.8% from 3 on the season.

Dotson hit (3) 3's against MSU. He hasn't hit 3 again in a single game since.

KU was up that far because their freshman shot out of their minds.

Quinton Grimes hit 6 3-pointers against MSU. He has only hit 6 total combined in the last 7 games, on 28 attempts. He's 29.8% from 3 on the season.

Dotson hit (3) 3's against MSU. He hasn't hit 3 again in a single game since.

Dang

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I honestly don't think UVA should be a 1-seed at this point. And I'm not just saying that because I'm terrified of a UMBC repeat. Our schedule has been rather weak. We have a few good wins and no losses but I think there are probably 4 teams with better resumes right now.

I mean, its not the only reason... but has Kansas played that well in any other game this season, especially those 2 freshman?

Azubuike fouled out in 17 minutes against Tennessee.

Is that supposed to be a negative for TN? Shouldn't Vols get credit for for making things tough on him and fouling him out? It wasn't luck. Just shows how Kyle Alexander can matchup with size.

Is that supposed to be a negative for TN? Shouldn't Vols get credit for for making things tough on him and fouling him out? It wasn't luck. Just shows how Kyle Alexander can matchup with size.
I only commented because RipThru said MSU on the 1 line was laughable. To me they are ranked about right at 6, but having them as a 1 seed can very easily be argued and in fact justified. Especially if you have actually watched them play, not just the first game of the year

I have given this some thought. Joey’s thinking is that Duke is going to be the 1/2 seed in the East come hell or high water. Virginia and Tennessee will be interchangeable at 1/2 in the South unless the Hoos sweep Duke. Kansas will be either 1/2 in the Midwest barring collapse. Same thing with Gonzaga in the West.

The 1 seed in the West as of today is Joey’s Flava O’ the Week. Last time it was Nevada. This week it’s Michigan State. It will probably change again as conference play heats up.

I have given this some thought. Joey’s thinking is that Duke is going to be the 1/2 seed in the East come hell or high water. Virginia and Tennessee will be interchangeable at 1/2 in the South unless the Hoos sweep Duke. Kansas will be either 1/2 in the Midwest barring collapse. Same thing with Gonzaga in the West.

The 1 seed in the West as of today is Joey’s Flava O’ the Week. Last time it was Nevada. This week it’s Michigan State. It will probably change again as conference play heats up.

Wait this cant be right, no B1G #1 seeds ?? when will UM get the respect they deserve! oh the outrage.

Zags problem is they need other P5 teams going for 1 seeds to be somewhat weak cuz they don’t play a lunch tourney teams once conference play starts.

I think the Zags are out of contention for a 1

Reactions: sgrooms
Well it didn't go over well if I have to explain my sarcasm, mah bad..was quoting the post.
Oh, I know where you were going. I was playing Joey Brackets (sarcasm switched on) geographic game. Duke ain’t never leaving the East unless North Carolina is clearly better. Same with Kansas in the Midwest and Zags is the West. He is fitting Michigan, Michigan State and Tennessee into what’s left. Virginia had better beat Duke at least once if they want to be in the East and Tennessee can’t lose more than 3 games to stay in 1 seed consideration

MSU has been playing like a 1 seed since they lost to Louisville. If they finish the season with 4 or 5 losses, I'm sure they'll still be a 1-seed. As of right now, I would put Tennessee ahead of Michigan State.

Gonzaga, however, I think is fine on the 2-line. Might even put UNC or Va Tech over them. I realize neither of their losses are bad (Tennessee/UNC), but their win over Duke might be their only win over a tournament team. They have 3 other good/decent wins in the likes of Creighton, Arizona, and Washington, but they all have the makeup of NIT teams at this point.
Tennessee was clearly the better of UT/UL. MSU lost to UL, there is nothing to support MSU being better than UT at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT