ADVERTISEMENT

Knecht or Sheppard?

That’s tough. Knecht is a better 3 level scorer and is pretty much unstoppable when he wants to put the ball in the hoop. He’s a lock for first team AA.

Sheppard seems to impact the game in other ways a little more, and has one of the purest stokes I’ve seen in a long time.

I love both their games, so it’s hard for me to pick one, but I’d have to go with the first team AA. The difference yesterday for me was that Kentucky has more weapons around Sheppard. Knecht carried his team to even being competitive.

That's tough...Reed's basketball IQ is crazy. Top 5 shooter in CBB. His anticipation in off-ball defense is solid. And a pretty good shot-blocker given his size.
DK is a lot better athlete and scorer. He can drive to the basket. Gets good contact. He's asked to do a lot more for his team.

For their ages, give me Reed all day.

Think the better question would be, do you want Knecht or Reeves? That's a toss-up.

This is a silly question. Knecht is far and away better than Sheppard. Yesterday was an example of why. Sheppard is great player, but he didn't have to play as public enemy #1 from the opponent. There were no dlb teams or focus to stop him other than who was guarding him.

Knecht score 40 on a UK team with a reinvigorated defense and threw double teams all day. Finally, Knecht showed up for both games and Sheppard didn't.

That’s tough. Knecht is a better 3 level scorer and is pretty much unstoppable when he wants to put the ball in the hoop. He’s a lock for first team AA.

Sheppard seems to impact the game in other ways a little more, and has one of the purest stokes I’ve seen in a long time.

I love both their games, so it’s hard for me to pick one, but I’d have to go with the first team AA. The difference yesterday for me was that Kentucky has more weapons around Sheppard. Knecht carried his team to even being competitive.
Reed is a facilitator, he tries to feed his teammates and shoots last, look at the assist, and I wish he would try to get open more for his own shots instead of feeding everyone else. But that could change all dynamics, I don't know, I am definitely not a coach!!!!

I’m giving the slight edge to Reed (shocker to you, I’m sure), but not because he’s a UK player. Knecht is an amazing player, but he seems like the top-offensive player, whereas Reed is a great offensive player, plus some intangibles that aren’t as apparent (necessary? 🤔 ) with Knecht.

You can’t wrong with either, IMO.

Knecht is a better scorer, Sheppard is a better all around player.

Can't believe that Knecht only averages 1.8 assts per game. Needs to learn how to distribute the ball better, especially when so much of the defensive focus of the opposition is on him.

Was shocked to see that number so low.

I think it is hard to fairly compare the two until you have a situation where the other team strictly tries to take away Sheppard as they do for Knecht. Even with that Knecht is better IMO. He doesn't get a lot of assists, though some of that is because his teammates miss a lot of shots. However, he also seldom turns it over relative to how much he is counted on to create something. Sheppard is awesome though. I'm a huge fan. HIs shot is so pure. Both players are also really clutch.

Knecht is a better scorer, Sheppard is a better all around player.

Can't believe that Knecht only averages 1.8 assts per game. Needs to learn how to distribute the ball better, especially when so much of the defensive focus of the opposition is on him.

Was shocked to see that number so low.
Really? I wonder who pointed that out in a previous post ITT.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Just gonna close my eyes and pick one. Can’t go wrong with either. I think DK is a better scorer but I think Reed is a better shooter/leader. I’d take either one.

No offense, but that is kinda stupid. It is making a difference in College right now.
Young lady, it is one thing in college, but at the next level you have the top players, or they won't be playing. I really don't see Reed making it long in the NBA because of his size and quickness. He is a great college player like your man, but the next level is, well the next level. I wish the best for both, I enjoy watching these guys and wish they would stay at this level, but life moves on.

Reed is a facilitator, he tries to feed his teammates and shoots last, look at the assist, and I wish he would try to get open more for his own shots instead of feeding everyone else. But that could change all dynamics, I don't know, I am definitely not a coach!!!!
Also lead the SEC in steals by a wide margin (and is 8th in the nation). All his shooting percentages are significantly better than Knecht, way more steals, and way more assists. Not to mention we're comparing a senior with much better size, athleticism, and experience, to a freshman. Sheppard isn't even a PG, he's a SG who was thrown into the role about mid-season because he's by far the smartest player on the team with the ball in his hands. Yet he still leads the team in assists and is 3rd in the SEC. Granted, the UT offense runs through Knecht while UK has many more options.

Knecht is a senior. Shep is a freshman.

Shep will obviously be light years better in 3 yrs.

The better comparison this year is Knecht and Reeves.
Knecht is a CBB player and so is Shep. It doesn't matter who was best in 3rd grader or when they are grandfathers. The time is now and Knecht is the best.

Knecht is a CBB player and so is Shep. It doesn't matter who was best in 3rd grader or when they are grandfathers. The time is now and Knecht is the best.
My point is the fact they are comparable at this stage in their careers speaks volumes.

Reactions: jlock7614
My point is the fact they are comparable at this stage in their careers speaks volumes.
My point is the only thing that matters is the current year because that is all you can judge. What happens in the future is conjecture.

My point is the only thing that matters is the current year because that is all you can judge. What happens in the future is conjecture.
Well if you’re comparing this year and you look at the numbers you have to agree that Reeds numbers are better across the board!

I think it is hard to fairly compare the two until you have a situation where the other team strictly tries to take away Sheppard as they do for Knecht. Even with that Knecht is better IMO. He doesn't get a lot of assists, though some of that is because his teammates miss a lot of shots. However, he also seldom turns it over relative to how much he is counted on to create something. Sheppard is awesome though. I'm a huge fan. HIs shot is so pure. Both players are also really clutch.
If a team takes Sheppard out of play it does not matter. Shepard is looking for an assist first and a shot later. Give it to Reeves or Dillingham or Wagner or Mitchell or Edwards. That is called team basketball. When it comes to Knecht he is looking for the shot or the drive. It is a big big difference.

With Knecht he shoots a large percentage of the shots that Tennessee takes; Sheppard takes a very small percentage of the shots that Kentucky takes. Geeze Sheppard on the year is a small contributor to UK's offense.

Knecht is good but he is a fifth year man. Sheppard in a Freshman for God's sake.

Knecht should be an All American, but the comparison between him and Sheppard is far, far off. Comparing Knecht to Sheppard is like comparing apples to oranges.

IMG-4050.jpg

If a team takes Sheppard out of play it does not matter. Shepard is looking for an assist first and a shot later. Give it to Reeves or Dillingham or Wagner or Mitchell or Edwards. That is called team basketball. When it comes to Knecht he is looking for the shot or the drive. It is a big big difference.

With Knecht he shoots a large percentage of the shots that Tennessee takes; Sheppard takes a very small percentage of the shots that Kentucky takes. Geeze Sheppard on the year is a small contributor to UK's offense.

Knecht is good but he is a fifth year man. Sheppard in a Freshman for God's sake.

Knecht should be an All American, but the comparison between him and Sheppard is far, far off. Comparing Knecht to Sheppard is like comparing apples to oranges.
Sheppard should be playing for Duke anyway. He is a Dukie, but just doesn't know it.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Knecht, he can do whether he wants to. Is long, jumps high on any shot and his name is Knecht. The first time I saw him I knew he was something special. That’s when I started saying Knecht all the time like Rain Man. Wife is like why do you always say connect? I knew that would get her

You shouldn't be an All American just because you are a fifth year man. But yes, the comparison isn't fair. Knecht is better right now. Who knows in a few years who will be the better player??

I mean, length is part of an advantage in sports, just like skill and many other things. I think the only people who would argue Sheppard are UK fans, which is on brand but still sort of proves that it is probably Knecht.

• Love
Reactions: della
ADVERTISEMENT