ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs WVU

You guys are CLEARLY the much better program. It's not even remotely close. But it's becoming a fun conference rivalry.

Two great coaches. Two good teams. And two passionate fanbases.

I've been a huge Bob Huggins fan since I was little kid. Had a chance to meet him in 2 consecutive years at the NJCAA Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas, both times when he was still coaching at Cincy and still drinking. Great guy to meet in person and have liked him ever since. Terrific guy. Damn good coach who IMO deserves to be in the college basketball HOF. Meeting him then made watching the old battles between KU & Cincy even better to watch.

Borden I'm just about ready to sit down and play Tecmo Super Bowl in a few minutes. I've got the Raiders on the AFC side and the Redskins on the NFC side. Nothing beats Bo Jackson on a toss sweep. You can run that same play 50 times in a row and he goes untouched for a TD every time.
Every.Single.Time.

I was the Niners back in the day.

I consider you our biggest “rival” in the Big 12. It’s a respectful rivalry though. Nowhere near the levels of hatred I had for our former POS rival in Columbia. Kstate is certainly no rival. Until we start losing to them consistently (see games played in morgantown as example “a”), they’ll never be a true rival. Baylor is always gonna Scott Drew, Young will be out of Norman this time next year, Texas Tech is good, but nowhere near our rival.l, blah blah blah. The only constant is WVU. Historically we may be the better program, but WVU can play with anyone, and I’d take Huggy over any coach not named Self, K, Williams or Cal.
Love our rivalry and congrats on the win. Tonights game has me considering a trip to Kansas City for the tournament.

As a Mountaineer fan, these big leads only to lose is killing me.

Reactions: KisteK and npreston
I've been a huge Bob Huggins fan since I was little kid. Had a chance to meet him in 2 consecutive years at the NJCAA Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas, both times when he was still coaching at Cincy and still drinking. Great guy to meet in person and have liked him ever since. Terrific guy. Damn good coach who IMO deserves to be in the college basketball HOF. Meeting him then made watching the old battles between KU & Cincy even better to watch.

There were ku vs cincy battles? Don't remember those.

There were ku vs cincy battles? Don't remember those.

They played in the Great Eight game in Chicago in December of 1996. Huggy had Danny Fortson, Ruben Patterson & Damon Flint. KU had Paul Pierce, Raef LeFrentz, Jacque Vaughn & Jerrod Haase. I think they played againd one more time the next season but I'd have to look to be sure. KU won 72-65 and overcame a rather sizable lead to win. It was a one helluva war.

They played in the Great Eight game in Chicago in December of 1996. Huggy had Danny Fortson, Ruben Patterson & Damon Flint. KU had Paul Pierce, Raef LeFrentz, Jacque Vaughn & Jerrod Haase. I think they played againd one more time the next season but I'd have to look to be sure. KU won 72-65 and overcame a rather sizable lead to win. It was a one helluva war.
A stretch of some really, really good Jayhawk teams. Especially that team(96-97).

A stretch of some really, really good Jayhawk teams. Especially that team(96-97).

They were unbelievable in that stretch. To this day KU's loss to Arizona in the '97 sweet 16 is still haunting. Talk about heartbreaking & gut-wrenching. I bawled as soon as LaFrentz's shot fall short. That was one of the best overall KU teams to this very day. It also goes to show you one bad game in the tournament and your season can end.....just like that.

35-2... smh

"We bring 19-21 year old kids in here who don't get paid and we ask them questions after the game. Why don't the refs have to answer why did you call this? Why didnt you call that"

"Been doing this 40 years. Don't think I've ever been in a game where we shot 2 FT's."
"

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
And Kansas fans wonder why they dominate he Big12 yet can’t do shit in the NCAA tourney? If only they could play the Final 4 in Allen Fieldhouse with Big12 refs. They’d probably have a dozen National Championships by now. As it is they can only cling to conference titles while all of their peers enjoy lapping them in national championships.

People who argue that KU has woefully underachieved in the tourney don't even realize that they're actually complimenting them.

If the program with the most tourney wins and elite 8s this millennium has horribly underachieved, you're basically saying that they've been so good that they should have a massive lead over everyone else.

I agree. Thank you.

Math made simple: Kansas drove the ball. WVU took jump shots and a TON of 3’s.

Which is going to get more foul calls?

I know, it’s hard to make the connect when you’ve been drinking. Hopefully tomorrow this will all make sense.

Come on man... shooting more FT's than us is one thing. 35-2 is another.

I'm gonna got out on a limb and say that's pretty historic.

Reactions: npreston

I know, it’s hard to make the connect when you’ve been drinking. Hopefully tomorrow this will all make sense.

By the way...

WVU shot 26 3's... KU shot 22.

Stll managed to shoot 33 more FT's than us. 33!

This also isn't women's college basketball where UConn wins it all seemingly every season. Talk about villains of women's college hoops, UConn takes the cake and it's not even close.

Why are you all focusing on the FT total? I get that the disparity between those numbers helps your argument, but unless you're saying that the refs refused to let WV shoot free throws after being fouled in the act of shooting, why don't we focus on foul total?

I’m not saying it isn’t lopsided, because obviously it is. But there’s no conspiracy. The refs didn’t huddle up pregame and agree they were only gonna call 2 fouls against KU. That was a tough game to call. They could've called a foul or two on every single play. But I agree, 35-2 is pretty wild when you look at it on paper. Then consider how many 3’s and junk shots you took, compared to how many drives we had, and it doesn’t seem so bizarre. It’s simple. We drove it, you didn’t.

Your relentless pressure and gambling style of play is going to lead to more fouls. It’s just a fact.

26 of WVU's 61 fg attempts were 3's... 43%

22 of KU's 47 fg attempts were 3's... 47%

One team shot 35 FT's... the other shot 2.

This also isn't women's college basketball where UConn wins it all seemingly every season. Talk about villains of women's college hoops, UConn takes the cake and it's not even close.
Crazy. In the mens tourney, I'll take the field every year. Not in the womens. No sir. Hell last year when MSU beat them(at the buzzer) my wife and I high fived as if the Cats or Hoosiers had won.

I mean how sick is that?

Reactions: RockChalkRally
I didn't see any of the game. I did just start watching (trying to watch) the UNC replay and the end of WVU/KU was on instead (damn both of you). The no call that Huggins threw a fit about looked bad. Seemed like a pretty easy call to make. With that call and that discrepancy I don't blame him for what he did or said. OTOH, West Virginia fouls a lot as well so there being some sort of discrepancy makes sense.

How many of your fg’s were jump shots, compared to our layups?

47% of Ku's shots were 3's

43% of our shots were 3's.

but you shot 33 more FT's than us....

Dont think either team was fouled shooting a 3.

26 of WVU's 61 fg attempts were 3's... 43%

22 of KU's 47 fg attempts were 3's... 47%

One team shot 35 FT's... the other shot 2.
Ok, but how many of WVU's 35, non-three point attempts were jump shots? A lot. Kansas drove the ball Doogie.

I agree there is reason to be upset. 35-2 is crazy.

Reactions: npreston
Well if you’re not doing anything you could grace us with a couple of your pics!!!:D
You asked what all of us wanted to ask. For that----I salute you.

tenor.gif

47% of Ku's shots were 3's

43% of our shots were 3's.

but you shot 33 more FT's than us....

Dont think either team was fouled shooting a 3.
Dude, you’re missing the point. When a player drives the ball, he’s going to get fouled way more times than when he takes a jump shot. We drove the ball far more times than you did. You’re right, I don’t think there was a foul on a 3 point attempt, nor did we foul you when you took jump shots. You did, however, foul like a champ when we drove it.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Crazy. In the mens tourney, I'll take the field every year. Not in the womens. No sir. Hell last year when MSU beat them(at the buzzer) my wife and I high fived as if the Cats or Hoosiers had won.

I mean how sick is that?

Absolutely! I'm certain every person in America watching that game was giving each other high-5's over and over...unless you were a UConn fan. It's remarkable and it's something we never see again with what Geno has done with the Lady Huskies. It's not their fault, they're just head and shoulders above everyone else 99% of the time. Simply unreal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT