ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs Texas Tech

McClung is a good player. Better than I thought he would be. Bit of a gunner though.
He is a lot quicker than I thought he would be. I know he’s explosive vertically but he’s dang quick too.

It was me that said Kansas is the furthest from their ceiling. We are.

He had to do something since Kyler Edwards brought absolutely nothing.

37 minutes and 0 points from one of your top scoring options, and you lose by 1 to Kansas. I think we will be okay. It just sucks that Edwards had such a bad night. I doubt we see another like that from him. He knows, more than anyone, that he cost us the game. He will turn it around.

If the TCU-Oklahoma State and Kansas-Texas Tech games are any indication of what the Big 12 will be like, we should expect some more glorious battles this year. Great game.

At the end of the game, I would have liked to seen Shannon drive with a little more conviction. Tech had the KU players spread out on the perimeter, and he has a layup if he gets by Wilson. I realize Wilson forced him to his right hand, which isn't as strong, but he blew by Enaruna earlier in the game, going right, with little difficulty. Seemed like there was hesitation in his dribble, which made it a lot easier to defend.

So how good is Kansas?
Not sure really. If they're hitting shots, they're top 5 good for sure. Streaky shooting team though and we will often go through 10 minute stretches where we can't hit the broad side of a barn.

If we start to shoot more consistently McCormick can learn to play defense without fouling, and learn to kick the ball back out when his shot isn't there, then we could be a consistent top 5-ish team. But this team is still learning their offensive identity. They've improved defensively in a hurry though.

If the TCU-Oklahoma State and Kansas-Texas Tech games are any indication of what the Big 12 will be like, we should expect some more glorious battles this year. Great game.

At the end of the game, I would have liked to seen Shannon drive with a little more conviction. Tech had the KU players spread out on the perimeter, and he has a layup if he gets by Wilson. I realize Wilson forced him to his right hand, which isn't as strong, but he blew by Enaruna earlier in the game, going right, with little difficulty. Seemed like there was hesitation in his dribble, which made it a lot easier to defend.
To be fair, Shannon was hot last night. He was hitting his jumpers, even with a hand in his face. Where as a lot of drives were unsuccessful last night, and they wouldn't be likely to call a 50/50 foul with 5 seconds left. He probably makes that if Wilson doesn't block it.

To be fair, Shannon was hot last night. He was hitting his jumpers, even with a hand in his face. Where as a lot of drives were unsuccessful last night, and they wouldn't be likely to call a 50/50 foul with 5 seconds left. He probably makes that if Wilson doesn't block it.

Shannon had a great game. He gave Tech a shot at winning. Just felt like he had a clear opening to the basket. His shot was on last night. Overall, however, Shannon is much better at driving to the basket than taking jump shots. He had an iso opportunity with no one patrolling the paint. He gets a layup if he puts his head down and commits himself to getting to the basket, IMO. Entertaining game, if nothing else.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
You see it when some teams play too hard defensively. They get too amped for a game and go for every loose ball, rebound, steal, etc. You love to see hustle, but yeah it does often result in poor free throw shooting. I’ve seen a lot of teams over the years get amped up to play KU, and they’ll get a really nice 10 minute defensive stretch and out hustle us, then blow the game on free throws or short jumpers at the end cause they had no gas left in the tank.

The key there is depth. If your team has the depth you can run fresh legs in and out. If not, yeah it can wear them down.

Shannon had a great game. He gave Tech a shot at winning. Just felt like he had a clear opening to the basket. His shot was on last night. Overall, however, Shannon is much better at driving to the basket than taking jump shots. He had an iso opportunity with no one patrolling the paint. He gets a layup if he puts his head down and commits himself to getting to the basket, IMO. Entertaining game, if nothing else.

It’s not that easy as a wide open layup for Shannon if he continues to drive. The play you brought up earlier in the game where Shannon scored going right on Enaruna as an example he could drive and finish going right was a lot different. The drive began on the right side, Enaruna took a terrible angle giving up the baseline completely, the KU defenders were all above the FT line, and Shannon had to finish with his left hand still. The final play the drive began from the top of the key, Wilson was in much better guarding position playing Shannon’s left hand completely, and Braun and Agbaji both had their feet in the paint as Shannon made it to the FT line so they could have been there to contest. From that angle Shannon would have had to show he could finish with his right hand over 1-3 defenders with his right hand because if he tries to finish with his left hand most likely Wilson or Agbaji would have had the position to block it.

The best thing about the play was how Wilson just played Shannon for his left hand knowing most likely from the scouting report that Shannon wasn’t going to try and finish with his right hand.

Shannon and Mac accounted for 73% of our points and we shot 61 % from FT. That is not good enough to beat a Kansas caliber team most nights.

It’s not that easy as a wide open layup for Shannon if he continues to drive. The play you brought up earlier in the game where Shannon scored going right on Enaruna as an example he could drive and finish going right was a lot different. The drive began on the right side, Enaruna took a terrible angle giving up the baseline completely, the KU defenders were all above the FT line, and Shannon had to finish with his left hand still. The final play the drive began from the top of the key, Wilson was in much better guarding position playing Shannon’s left hand completely, and Braun and Agbaji both had their feet in the paint as Shannon made it to the FT line so they could have been there to contest. From that angle Shannon would have had to show he could finish with his right hand over 1-3 defenders with his right hand because if he tries to finish with his left hand most likely Wilson or Agbaji would have had the position to block it.

The best thing about the play was how Wilson just played Shannon for his left hand knowing most likely from the scouting report that Shannon wasn’t going to try and finish with his right hand.

Wilson did a good job forcing him to go right, granted it was kind of impossible to go left with Garrett right there. That should have been an indication to go hard right - otherwise, he'd have to settle for a jumper. I'm not familiar with Shannon enough to know how much slower he is with the right, but he has a great burst when he goes left. So, perhaps he lacked confidence to go hard right. And I'll grant that the window of opportunity was small, but that's always the case. But, there was a window. If he goes all-out towards the rim, Agbaji certainly won't be available to provide help. Braun could get maybe to the middle of the paint, but not sure he could keep him out of the paint completely; right side of the backboard would have been open for an easy layup. I don't think Shannon with a full-head of steam could be deterred by Braun. JMO.

terrence-shannon-drive.png

ADVERTISEMENT