ADVERTISEMENT

Grade your teams performance in non con

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
Kansas - B

Big wins over Uconn, UK, Tennessee and true road game vs Indiana

The reason for the B is we haven't blown out a really good team. A lot of that is lack of great perimeter shooting. As a team we are shooting 37%%. But we shoot well against bad teams and poor to average vs good teams. Defense is legit , #4 in the country. Big Kev averaging 20 a game and Hunter almost 19 is nice.

Need to see more from role players heading into the B12. I think we win the conference though.

Expecting blowouts of really good teams seems a little unrealistic.

If you have wins over #4, 5 and 6, and your only loss is to #7, I think that has to be an A- at worst. They have things that need to improve if they're going to make a run at winning it all, but it was a pretty good non-con.

B-

We had some really quality wins against Carolina and Miami. Played Kansas tough without our two centers. This would easily be an A if we didn't lose to UNC Wilmington. Just a really bad loss.

Reactions: ThePhog08
Purdue - A+

Became just the 3rd school in the last 50 years to go undefeated in the Non-con (regular season obviously) 3 years in a row. Currently hold the 9th longest non-con regular season winning streak at 35 games in a row.

Only school in the country with 7 Q1/Q2 wins. Hold wins over 3 of the top 7 KenPom teams.

Individually, the big question was would the freshman guards take the next step and it's pretty clear they have. Braden Smith has arguably been one of the best point guards in the country. He's got a great rapport with Edey. And Fletcher Loyer has been a bit inconsistent but has had 27 point games against Tennessee and Arizona, two teams with physical guards that theoretically could manhandle him.

As a team, we are shooting 38.4% from three (19th nationally) and the good news is our 4 men, who struggled mightily from 3 last year, are at 45% on 47 attempts. That's huge if they can sustain it.

Defensively, we've been a bit better than expected. We've held every P6 team we've played below their season average. Lance Jones has been the defender we needed him to be as a transfer and Edey is definitely improved defensively.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Purdue - A+

Became just the 3rd school in the last 50 years to go undefeated in the Non-con (regular season obviously) 3 years in a row. Currently hold the 9th longest non-con regular season winning streak at 35 games in a row.

Only school in the country with 7 Q1/Q2 wins. Hold wins over 3 of the top 7 KenPom teams.

Individually, the big question was would the freshman guards take the next step and it's pretty clear they have. Braden Smith has arguably been one of the best point guards in the country. He's got a great rapport with Edey. And Fletcher Loyer has been a bit inconsistent but has had 27 point games against Tennessee and Arizona, two teams with physical guards that theoretically could manhandle him.

As a team, we are shooting 38.4% from three (19th nationally) and the good news is our 4 men, who struggled mightily from 3 last year, are at 45% on 47 attempts. That's huge if they can sustain it.

Defensively, we've been a bit better than expected. We've held every P6 team we've played below their season average. Lance Jones has been the defender we needed him to be as a transfer and Edey is definitely improved defensively.
@Courtsensetwo

A - 13-0 but lost a key player for the year and another one is banged up.

UNC-C+....With the win over Nova they would have been a B. I know the calls sort of sucked that game but that was more on the coaches not changing and adjusting, which is part of the game. Kentucky and UConn are just better. If I thought Oklahoma was actually a good team I would probably go with a B as well but I think they are pretty average.

B

Can't lose to UNCW and kind of choked away the Kansas game (KU played well in the 2nd half). We weren't full strength for either game but still could've won both so that's no excuse. Still have Gonzaga in the non conference part of the schedule, need to win that one.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Solid B...looked great against Miami (although the shine of that win has worn off a bit due to Miami's struggles), and looked good against UNC.

Can't lose games against UNCW, but early season losses like that have seemed to be a rite of passage for Cal recently...definitely frustrating.

Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

Give Duke a D. They have wins vs a supposedly good MSU team and a fraud Baylor team that got waxed by MSU. Only reason it wasn't an F. Not hating on their loss to Arizona, though it was at home. But their over all product that they have put on the court, lacks excitement.

They are showing signs of improvement, we'll see.

UK a B. should have beat KU, should not have lost to a mid major at home.

Cal an A- for recruiting this team. The bigs are not what we thought they would be, but they'll barely work for what we need.
Cal an F because sooner or later he will fvck em up.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Give Duke a D. They have wins vs a supposedly good MSU team and a fraud Baylor team that got waxed by MSU. Only reason it wasn't an F. Not hating on their loss to Arizona, though it was at home. But their over all product that they have put on the court, lacks excitement.

They are showing signs of improvement, we'll see.

I think McCain is the difference. When he plays well Duke is a different team.

Reactions: ThePhog08
Blended bag C

Poor performances against the teams that matter other than Kan. Consistently Played down to the competition. Shooting is improving but a long way to go.

The flip side of that reality is that this is a new team that lost the majority of their scoring and ability to spread the floor effectively. There were also no immediate shooting solutions.

Last year was greatly affected by injuries to three starters and this season has already seen the loss of one of the top on ball defenders in the BIG and the best ball handler in the team. A highly regarded freshman guard is also out for the season.

The silver lining is the accelerated development of a heady future leader in Cupps.

Hey new Gil, the joke I reported with Sparty (which you clearly didn’t get) was 4 hours before the Purdye game.
Well, it is nice to see that you didn’t post at me or about me DURING your game this time.

Baby steps

Now buzz off

B-

We had some really quality wins against Carolina and Miami. Played Kansas tough without our two centers. This would easily be an A if we didn't lose to UNC Wilmington. Just a really bad loss.
Big game for Miami tonight. They’re 0-2 against teams with a pulse. If they keep this up then that really quality win won’t be really quality, but I’m not sold on Clemson yet either, so we’ll see.

We were expected to be a top 10 team. We are currently ranked 5. I give us an A Grade.

Vols B- would have liked to beat one of Kansas,Purdue or UNC. It shows we are right near the top but can we overcome the hump

Blended bag C

Poor performances against the teams that matter other than Kan. Consistently Played down to the competition. Shooting is improving but a long way to go.

The flip side of that reality is that this is a new team that lost the majority of their scoring and ability to spread the floor effectively. There were also no immediate shooting solutions.

Last year was greatly affected by injuries to three starters and this season has already seen the loss of one of the top on ball defenders in the BIG and the best ball handler in the team. A highly regarded freshman guard is also out for the season.

The silver lining is the accelerated development of a heady future leader in Cupps.
There is absolutrly nothing to like about this team

New team, sure---yeah. But they look the same now as they did in November.

Coaching is complete ass....Shooitng is ass....defense is ass. Sure it could get better---but how good will "better" be?

Up to now, a HUGE disappointment. Look if we had "A" hiccup or two, vs the mid-majors, I'd be , OK, that happens. But it was everyone them except North Alabama. Morhead St should have beaten IU. Lost by 20 to UConn, and 28 to fukin AU. Had KAN found their shooting prior to the last 15 minutes of the game, that to would have been a 20 point loss.

Not sure how anyone gives this team a "C".

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
There is absolutrly nothing to like about this team

New team, sure---yeah. But they look the same now as they did in November.

Coaching is complete ass....Shooitng is ass....defense is ass. Sure it could get better---but how good will "better" be?

Up to now, a HUGE disappointment. Look if we had "A" hiccup or two, vs the mid-majors, I'd be , OK, that happens. But it was everyone them except North Alabama. Morhead St should have beaten IU. Lost by 20 to UConn, and 28 to fukin AU. Had KAN found their shooting prior to the last 15 minutes of the game, that to would have been a 20 point loss.

Not sure how anyone gives this team a "C".
Calm down, reread my post and you will see where the C came from.

You're gonna have to explain this one to me...

Gave IU a "C" bevause--------------New team? Plyed good vs KAN?
I admit I missed the assignment a bit by including two BIG Ws in my evaluation and you may have some recency bias in yours giving more weight to the dog shit performance at Nebtuckey.

Had we not blown an 11 point second half lead at Tillman, we’d be undefeated & the grade would definitely be an A+.

I admit I missed the assignment a bit by including two BIG Ws in my evaluation and you may have some recency bias in yours giving more weight to the dog shit performance at Nebtuckey.
Its been a disappointment to say the least my friend. I have a game tonight, so will be relieved of watching the Hoosiers tonight.

I think OSU rolls us.

• Love
Reactions: johnboiler123
ADVERTISEMENT