ADVERTISEMENT

Is Duke or Kentucky the biggest underachiever?

VaultHunter

Apr 16, 2014
Pandora
Team
West Virginia
Both get Elite recruiting classes almost every program out there would pay for if they could.

Neither dominate the tournament.

Both have championships but both come up short more often than not.

How excited are you about borderlands 3? I really hope the raids turn out well so I can leave that steaming pile destiny behind for good.

I'm not going to speak for Duke for this troll thread, but I don't think UK has underachieved. I absolutely think Cal should have more than one title here, but winning a title is extremely hard and requires a lot of luck most years (see Virginia this year). Cal has been to 4 final fours and 7 elite 8's in a decade and hasn't gone out in the first round like a lot of other big programs.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'm not going to speak for Duke for this troll thread, but I don't think UK has underachieved. I absolutely think Cal should have more than one title here, but winning a title is extremely hard and requires a lot of luck most years (see Virginia this year). Cal has been to 4 final fours and 7 elite 8's in a decade and hasn't gone out in the first round like a lot of other big programs.
Not to be that guy. But Cal did lose to Robert Morris in the first round. First round of the NIT, but first round nonetheless.

Not to be that guy. But Cal did lose to Robert Morris in the first round. First round of the NIT, but first round nonetheless.
I still blame our HS basketball tournament. :oops:

We are never prepared for hosting a NIT game. I hope the sarcasm comes through here. The boys HS S16 tournament is played in Rupp, and Memorial was being "remodeled". So as a 1 seed we played an away game. Doesn't excuse the loss by no means, and tbh (i might get my UK card taken away for saying this), it was kind of fun watching RM gym go nuts.

With all that said, yes, we lost in the first round.....of the NIT. I had a dog pass away around the same time and we can talk about that too. Sick

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Correct answer is Kansas considering they are buying players and have to hang Helms banners.

This is why I laugh every time a Kentucky fan tries to disown Rupp Rafters. The same idiocy is pervasive among those of you here.RollLaugh

63 teams do not underachieve. There’s only a handful of programs that the national title is a realistic goal almost every season. Duke and Kentucky chose this route, which is fine, but knowingly taking at least 3-4 one and done kids every year, then using the inexperiene line as a reason for falling short is nothing but an excuse.
A team has yet to win it relying on just freshmen. Duke and Kentucky have 1 apiece in this era, but both had solid contributions from veterans.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
8xo8jp.png

Remind me again on who is underachieving. Duke and UK seem to be doing just fine, and these stats are with teams with a huge turnover each year. No wonder Calipari and K are in the HOF.

Last edited:
63 teams do not underachieve. There’s only a handful of programs that the national title is a realistic goal almost every season. Duke and Kentucky chose this route, which is fine, but knowingly taking at least 3-4 one and done kids every year, then using the inexperiene line as a reason for falling short is nothing but an excuse.
A team has yet to win it relying on just freshmen. Duke and Kentucky have 1 apiece in this era, but both had solid contributions from veterans.
How many times has a team been comprised only of freshman contributors? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

No, fool...Northeastern underachieved.Laughing

How many times has a team been comprised only of freshman contributors? Asking for a friend.
I'm coming up with nothing.

Anyway, I like our stats. Every fan everywhere wants more, but I can live with our results, as shown above, they're better than most. Some say veteran teams win more, but that's not really the case is it? Numbers don't lie.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Tell your friend they read a little too deep into what I said. Please pass along to them how sorry I am for confusing them.

I'm coming up with nothing.

Anyway, I like our stats. Every fan everywhere wants more, but I can live with our results, as shown above, they're better than most. Some say veteran teams win more, but that's not really the case is it? Numbers don't lie.

UVA was a veteran team that won the title, Villanova's 2 titles were veteran dominated teams, UNC, a veteran team. Now some teams had freshman stars with the help of some veterans like UK and Duke in recent memory. Personally I'll take experienced talent over inexperienced talent all day everyday.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
UVA was a veteran team that won the title, Villanova's 2 titles were veteran dominated teams, UNC, a veteran team. Now some teams had freshman stars with the help of some veterans like UK and Duke in recent memory. Personally I'll take experienced talent over inexperienced talent all day everyday.
I understand that, and have no problems with it. However by bring multiple teams to take on only two, isn't really fair. UK and Duke won 3 titles, mutile final fours, etc, and the rest split them amongst themselves.

I'm sure anyone would, but most coaches can't convince that talent to stick around like Roy.

I'm sure anyone would, but most coaches can't convince that talent to stick around like Roy.
aka developing talent slower for the NBA. It shows when they get to the NBA. :p

Don't get me started on KU. Look at recruiting class rankings and then the graph above.

Reactions: Quavarius
Who has Roy convinced to stay? In counting titles Cal should seriously think about doing that but I forgot, he's not into winning titles.
Yeah, he's players first. Horrible trait to have. We should be more selfish.

"yeah, I know your family has been poor forever, but can you stay another year to help us win a title. It's not guaranteed like the money, but please."

Last edited by a moderator:
aka developing talent slower for the NBA. It shows when they get to the NBA. :p

Don't get me started on KU. Look at recruiting class rankings and then the graph above.

He did good job in developing Davis and Wall. If they had went to Mercer they would of been # 1 picks

Yeah, he's players first. Horrible trait to have. We should be more selfish.

"yeah, I know you're family has been poor forever, but can you stay another year to help us win a title. It's not guaranteed like the money, but please."

Is he supposed to win games at Kentucky or put players in the NBA? The ultimate goal is to win titles at Uk.

Is that what Roy has said to players? If so, wow. But I'd bet against that.

I think it'd be different if he had talent like Uk and Duke gets staying multiple years, but I don't recall any legit 1st round top talent staying multiple years.

Last edited:
Who has Roy convinced to stay? In counting titles Cal should seriously think about doing that but I forgot, he's not into winning titles.
Convinced or otherwise, high ranking players that stayed 3-4 years. There are a bunch. He's lucky. Any coach would kill for that.

Really? Because they had 3 top 20 guys on one team that stayed 3-4 years (Hicks, Jackson, Pinson).

And they won a title. Had Pinson and Hicks left early they would be overseas. Johnson was a lottery pick and Pinson is on the Nets roster.

Convinced or otherwise, high ranking players that stayed 3-4 years. There are a bunch. He's lucky. Any coach would kill for that.

Cal chooses to recruit that way so roster turnover is the norm. All high ranking players aren’t OAD so by your logic when they aren’t ready you assume the coach convinced them to stay. Ok

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT