ADVERTISEMENT

If we're being honest. It's Michigan and Gonzaga.... then everyone else.

Baylor returned basically everyone from a team that was arguably the 2nd best in the country last year, is undefeated this year with incredible numbers, and has a much higher Kenpom rating than Michigan.

This adds up to Michigan not only being better than Baylor, but significantly better. RollLaugh

Hockey puck.

Are you back to caring about Kenpom?

Who ranked behind them is better?

I'm not sure but if they played in the Big 12 they would have probably played at Texas, WVU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Ok State by now. They would probably lose at least 2 of those games and would not be ranked as high as they are.

I'm not sure but if they played in the Big 12 they would have probably played at Texas, WVU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Ok State by now. They would probably lose at least 2 of those games and would not be ranked as high as they are.

At least two? I'd say probably 1, maybe two. Going on the road to play Ohio St. harder than any of those non Baylor games and we just did that.

So which teams below Michigan would you move above Michigan? "I don't know" is a cop out.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Impressive win today but the fact remains is that Michigan has only played a few road games. Lost one of them at Minnesota. Won at Wisconsin but they have played terrible lately (losing 4 of last 6). Michigan needed a big road win like they had today but I still think they are overrated.
None of those points make any sense.

At least two? I'd say probably 1, maybe two. Going on the road to play Ohio St. harder than any of those non Baylor games and we just did that.

So which teams below Michigan would you move above Michigan? "I don't know" is a cop out.

Did Ohio State have fans? Every team in the big 12 but Texas does. Like I said great win but if you lost at Minnesota you could easily lose to any of those teams I mentioned at least twice.

lol that makes no sense. B1G is a better conference than the big 12. We might lose to Baylor and maybe Texas, but none of those teams you listed are better than OSU and we just beat them at their place

Did Ohio State have fans? Every team in the big 12 but Texas does. Like I said great win but if you lost at Minnesota you could easily lose to any of those teams I mentioned at least twice.

Sure, we could. Like I said, we probably lose 1 and maybe 2. I doubt we'd drop 3 of those 5 games.

Your statement was that Michigan is overrated. Who do you think is a better team to put at #3?

Reactions: RichardMassive
lol that makes no sense. B1G is a better conference than the big 12. We might lose to Baylor and maybe Texas, but none of those teams you listed are better than OSU and we just beat them at their place

Texas? They aren't even a top 3 team in the Big 12. My point is, the toughest teams Michigan played on the road is Wisconsin, Minnesota(lost) and Ohio State. All those Big 12 teams I mentioned are better than Wisconsin and Minnesota. Don't even try to tell me Michigan has played a tough schedule.

Texas? They aren't even a top 3 team in the Big 12. My point is, the toughest teams Michigan played on the road is Wisconsin, Minnesota(lost) and Ohio State. All those Big 12 teams I mentioned are better than Wisconsin and Minnesota. Don't even try to tell me Michigan has played a tough schedule.

What rankings are you using to determine all those teams are better than Wisconsin? Please don’t say the AP.

Pick something better.

Kenpom? Sagarin? Torvik? BPI? NET? Give me something you like other than AP or Coaches polls.

What rankings are you using to determine all those teams are better than Wisconsin? Please don’t say the AP.

Pick something better.

Kenpom? Sagarin? Torvik? BPI? NET? Give me something you like other than AP or Coaches polls.

How about eye test, the fact that they don't have any big wins and that they have lost 5 out of the last 8 with the only wins coming against Nebraska(5-15), Penn State (7-12) and Maryland. You can't honestly tell me you think Wisconsin is better than Oklahoma, WVU, Texas, Texas Tech and even Kansas and Oklahoma State. The last 2 you could maybe make a case but even they have bigger and better wins than Wisconsin.

How about eye test, the fact that they don't have any big wins and that they have lost 5 out of the last 8 with the only wins coming against Nebraska(5-15), Penn State (7-12) and Maryland. You can't honestly tell me you think Wisconsin is better than Oklahoma, WVU, Texas, Texas Tech and even Kansas and Oklahoma State. The last 2 you could maybe make a case but even they have bigger and better wins than Wisconsin.

You’re going to have to give me something better than the eye test. There’s gotta be one of the metrics you find useful.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
You’re going to have to give me something better than the eye test. There’s gotta be one of the metrics you find useful.

I did, i told you about the sorry record over their last 8 games and no big wins. What more do you need. How about you tell me what makes them better than those big 12 teams, since you know so much.

I did, i told you about the sorry record over their last 8 games and no big wins. What more do you need. How about you tell me what makes them better than those big 12 teams since you know so much.

They are a top 25 team in every metric that I know of.

BPI seems wildly off this year. It’s always bad but this year...sheesh.

Torvik is nice because you can see it over specific stretches of time.

Baylor is losing to a 2-16 Iowa St. team at home with 5 to go....... RollLaugh

Of course you would. Sounds like a loser mentality. Are you new here?
Foster Loyer=Pierre Brooks because Mr Basketball guy! I knew I had seen you somewhere!

A lot of teams that took long breaks came back and didn’t play particularly well. You can look back through the season and see that Baylor is pretty damn good. If they continue to play like shit after this game I’ll side with you. But I doubt that happens. They’ve been elite.

And they have at least 1 more loss coming before the tournament. I will guarantee that.
I think UM is good. Really good. I just think it’s funny when a UM fan comes on here saying Baylor is bad because they played a team close after a 3 week break when UM quite literally got blown out by a Big Ten bottom feeder. I would know, MSU is one this year.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Almost losing is not the same as losing, regardless of opponent.

Metrics (rightfully so) sometimes count a close loss worth more than a bad win, otherwise teams would be way too rewarded for scheduling cupcakes.

Overtime 1 point road loss to Gonzaga vs 1 point home win over Troy. Which is more impressive?

I am a little disappointed that the Big 12 canceled the WVU@Baylor game this thursday. WVU has now won 7 Big 12 away games in a row, so I thought maybe there was a chance of beating them, especially after their Covid layoff.

The question becomes are they pretenders or is Michigan really good.

The issue with both is that they haven't put together much to say they are contenders

Minnesota beat Iowa ...
If Iowa ends up winning the B1G it is a bad look for your conference IMO.
Not really. The conference is really deep this year. Some claim the deepest it's ever been.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have one of their best players when they lost at Minny.

Reactions: sdave
@Wisconsin, @Minny, @Ohio St @Purdue @Maryland @Rutgers

All of those games are tough games. Minnesota is actually the weakest of all those.

Ohio St #7 NET #7 Kenpom
Wisconsin #19 NET #14 Kenpom
Purdue #26 NET #17 Kenpom
Maryland #30 NET #31 Kenpom
Rutgers #31 NET #28 Kenpom
Minnesota #61 NET #50 Kenpom

On the other hand:

Baylor #2 NET #2 Kenpom
Texas #21 NET #21 Kenpom
Oklahoma #28 NET #33 Kenpom
Oklahoma St #37 NET #40 Kenpom

Where is this vast difference in scheduling that would have Michigan losing so many more games because their schedule is weak? Only Baylor is better than Wisconsin out of the teams you listed according to the metrics...

There are 5 B10 teams in between Baylor and the second highest B12 team according to Kenpom.

BTW, according to Kenpom, Texas IS in the top 3 of the B12.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT