ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Kentucky?! How does Cocks taste?

Calipari does recruit 3 and 4 star players. Reed Sheppard, Hart and Burks are 4* kids. Problem is, in this NBA farm system, they get recruited over and transfer. Thats why Lance Ware, Johnny Juzang, Baker, Charles, Dontai Allen, Bryce Hopkins, etc… . have transferred.

It doesn't work at UK with Cal in charge.

Sheppard definitely isn't the caliber of player I'm talking about. He was a borderline 5 star who might be OAD. I realize those other guys get recruited over or transfer, but my point is that you guys wouldn't celebrate if he started focusing on landing fringe top 100 players. You'd freak out. And I highly doubt it would lead to more wins.

So which rosters from around the nation could Calipari win the NC with?
Is there a roster out there with a generational talent? Was there an NBA lockout this year?

I never said the coach needs to be Cal. In my opinion, Calipari will never win another title in his life.

First of all, his priority, is getting kids drafted, which is funny, because 99% of the kids that got drafted out of UK, were getting drafted regardlesss of where they went to school.

But even if he buckled down and really tried hard to win a title, he’s still not good enough to do it.

Take a look at all the losses he has sustained, all but a couple, were to far less talented teams and the talent disparity is massive. Look at the ex UK guys that are killing it in the NBA. How do you lose that many games, with that much talent?

Like I said, I'm just going to enjoy the highs and deal with the rest.

Sheppard definitely isn't the caliber of player I'm talking about. He was a borderline 5 star who might be OAD. I realize those other guys get recruited over or transfer, but my point is that you guys wouldn't celebrate if he started focusing on landing fringe top 100 players. You'd freak out. And I highly doubt it would lead to more wins.
Who gives a shit about recruiting titles? It was fun when Cal came in and slapped everyone with his recruiting dick by landing Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, the twins, Randle etc… now, these #1 classes are window dressing. That magic train left with the Monk/Fox/Bam team. Haven't seen it since, because the game is different, everyone has older, more experienced teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
He quit on me the other night on 2K. He hates me

Nah, I don't hate you. I just want a PG who hasn’t taken a two year break from actually making shots.

zwhBRbO.gif

(And to save you the bother, I know, you need a big who hasn’t taken a five year vacation from actually scoring in the paint. It’s funny because it’s true. And I’ll see you at 8:30 prompt, big boy.)

I think the Cocks have a chance to be a #6 or #7 seed in the South or East Regional at the dance this season. I've seen what we look like when the lid is on the basket and if we go cold from the perimeter, we look horrible. If this squad can keep its intensity and shooting, we could make some noise.

No narrative has changed, at least not with me. Don't paint with a broad brush. I put no stock in last night's loss. It is very typical to lose many road conference games with mostly freshmen. Nothing surprising at all about that.

Continuity is the single most important attribute in finding success in college basketball. If you were to say otherwise, I would question your basketball IQ, as would anyone. Heck, look at the top 5 teams in AP poll currently. Tell me what is the common denominator in all those teams...I will give you a hint, it is what you say many teams don't have in this era.

I'd say the common denominators among top teams are usually: great coach, great roster, or both. Plenty of young teams have made deep runs in the OAD era, and a few have won it all.

Btw, 3 of UConn's top 5 scorers last year were new to the team, and they only returned a few players from their rotation. They dominated the tourney.

Calipari is the best option to lead a freshmen dominated team in the country.

What do you base this on? He's the only one who consistently gets elite freshmen other than Duke. And they've done pretty well with them.

By the way, I could say the same thing about Self. Give him a freshmen dominant team, he wouldn't have the success Cal has found.

Again, based on what? You don't think Self could have won it all with the 2012 team?

And by the way, I know ppl like to overlook this, but Cal's teams at mid major UMass and Memphis were dominated by 3 and 4 stars, and he had plenty of success.

He has chosen not to go that route anymore. He has to deal with the consequences if he can't find success with mostly freshmen.

Calipari had elite recruits at Memphis and UMass too. Not as many at UMass obviously, but Camby and Roe were great. His best Memphis teams were loaded with pro talent and top 50ish players. That's not to say that he didn't do a good job with those teams, but I'd also argue that he was a better coach back then. He hasn't adapted well to changes in the game in recent years.

Who gives a shit about recruiting titles? It was fun when Cal came in and slapped everyone with his recruiting dick by landing Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, the twins, Randle etc… now, these #1 classes are window dressing. That magic train left with the Monk/Fox/Bam team. Haven't seen it since, because the game is different, everyone has older, more experienced teams.

But you act like every other coach is building that way by choice. As if they're all in on something that Calipari and K were oblivious to.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Self attempts to land a lot of the guys who go to Duke and Kentucky. He (and Adidas) just whiff on the vast majority of them and he has to settle for what's left. Especially after the FBI probe.

Is there a roster out there with a generational talent? Was there an NBA lockout this year?

I never said the coach needs to be Cal. In my opinion, Calipari will never win another title in his life.

First of all, his priority, is getting kids drafted, which is funny, because 99% of the kids that got drafted out of UK, were getting drafted regardlesss of where they went to school.

But even if he buckled down and really tried hard to win a title, he’s still not good enough to do it.

Take a look at all the losses he has sustained, all but a couple, were to far less talented teams and the talent disparity is massive. Look at the ex UK guys that are killing it in the NBA. How do you lose that many games, with that much talent?

Like I said, I'm just going to enjoy the highs and deal with the rest.

That's what I've been saying the whole time. The problem is Calipari. The roster is more than fine.

You can count me amongst the crazy ass irrational fans who want Cal's ass gone. So sick of this bullshit.

Reactions: cdbearde
But you act like every other coach is building that way by choice. As if they're all in on something that Calipari and K were oblivious to.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Self attempts to land a lot of the guys who go to Duke and Kentucky. He (and Adidas) just whiff on the vast majority of them and he has to settle for what's left. Especially after the FBI probe.
None of the other coaches are interested in building complete rosters out of high school kids, or even putting 3 freshmen in their main rotation.

They are building veteran rosters and trying to add one to two really good freshmen into the mix.

I'm not buying the fact that none of these other coaches strike out 100% of the time.

Here's the other thing, these top recruits want promises and guarantees. Well, Calipari is giving them what they want. It’s why you see Edwards still starting even though he sucks. Bill Self, Scott Drew, Hurley, Sampson etc… are not making promises. They have a system and they stick to it.

Cal ends up getting held hostage by these kids and the ones he's recruiting, as well as organizations like Klutch. If he benches Edwards, he loses future recruits. If he played Shaedon Sharpe 2 years ago, he would never get another kid from Klutch. If he played Livingston at the 4, Klutch would blast him. It's all bullshit.

Cal's teams are cobbled together every year. Development is done on the fly and he hopes each kid is as good as advertised. That’s just not smart. All the best teams build and develop.their rosters over years and that’s what wins in todays game.

Freshmen are rated where they are based on potential, not what they can do right now. Sure, we have some exceptional players, but as you saw last night and against UNCW, freshmen are not prepared for everytning college ball can throw at them and they aren't physical enough yet, because they haven't been developed. Any team that plays physical, is going to be a problem for UK.

On your take about young teams making it far in the tournament, well yeah, matchups matter in a one game scenario, sure, young teams can beat teams they match up with, but eventually youth catches up to you.

That's what I've been saying the whole time. The problem is Calipari. The roster is more than fine.
There's no coach out there that is winning with freshmen based rosters in todays game. Even K lost when he had Zion (Generational) and RJ (transcendent). And the team he got to the FF with, was not all that young.

Cal's problem is, he’s catering to NBA draft picks and is trying to develop high school kids on the fly.

If Bill Self thought he could win with a team full of 5* kids, he would be doing it, he just needs to make promises like Cal does, but Self is not going to make a promise to these spoiled kids and interupt what he has been developing.

But believe what you want. Doesn't matter to me.

None of the other coaches are interested in building complete rosters out of high school kids, or even putting 3 freshmen in their main rotation.

They are building veteran rosters and trying to add one to two really good freshmen into the mix.

I'm not buying the fact that none of these other coaches strike out 100% of the time.

Here's the other thing, these top recruits want promises and guarantees. Well, Calipari is giving them what they want. It’s why you see Edwards still starting even though he sucks. Bill Self, Scott Drew, Hurley, Sampson etc… are not making promises. They have a system and they stick to it.

Cal ends up getting held hostage by these kids and the ones he's recruiting, as well as organizations like Klutch. If he benches Edwards, he loses future recruits. If he played Shaedon Sharpe 2 years ago, he would never get another kid from Klutch. If he played Livingston at the 4, Klutch would blast him. It's all bullshit.

Cal's teams are cobbled together every year. Development is done on the fly and he hopes each kid is as good as advertised. That’s just not smart. All the best teams build and develop.their rosters over years and that’s what wins in todays game.

Calipari has a much higher margin for error because he has a dozen highly recruited players every year. He can afford some busts. Just look at this year…Edwards, the alleged number 1 pick, a bust so far, and a lot of you didn’t even want Wagner on the court early on. And, lest we forget, THREE 7 footers on the bench til recently. And yet…there they are. Consistently among the highest championship odds. That’s a pretty solid margin for error.

Self’s margin for error is so thin that one rape allegation dramatically lowered the ceiling for this team.

Freshmen are rated where they are based on potential, not what they can do right now. Sure, we have some exceptional players, but as you saw last night and against UNCW, freshmen are not prepared for everytning college ball can throw at them and they aren't physical enough yet, because they haven't been developed. Any team that plays physical, is going to be a problem for UK.

The vast majority of veteran teams (almost all of them) have had less success than Kentucky this year, by any measure. Don’t forget that we’re talking about a team that’s top 5ish in the most recent polls. And we both know that you guys start to feel pretty good about yourselves after every nice win.

Last edited:
Calipari has a much higher margin for error because he has a dozen highly recruited players every year. He can afford some busts. Just look at this year…Edwards, the alleged number 1 pick, a bust so far, and a lot of you didn’t even want Wagner on the court early on. And, lest we forget, THREE 7 footers on the bench til recently. As we were reminded every day. And yet…there they are. Consistently among the highest championship odds. That’s a pretty solid margin for error.

Self’s margin for error is so thin that one rape allegation dramatically lowered the ceiling for this team.

The vast majority of veteran teams (almost all of them) have had less success than Kentucky this year, by any measure. Don’t forget that we’re talking about a team that’s top 5ish in the most recent polls. And we both know that you guys start to feel pretty good about yourselves after every nice win.
These kids are future NBA draft picks because they have potential. They aren't drafting these kids on what they are right now, that’s what you have to understand.

Now, don't get me wrong, DJ, Dillingham, Shepp and Aaron are very good, but they're not physical enough.

As far as KU's issues, that’s on Bill Self, he didn't bring enough players in. With the transfer portal, there is no reason to have a thin roster at a place like KU

It’s been a while since Calipari’s bunch has experienced sodomy like that!
The quit is what struck a nerve with me.

UK fan through and through. Cal fan. That was disheartening.

I can't pick a coach to replace him even if we had all of them to choose from.

Sigh, I'm going to eat lunch.

I'd say the common denominators among top teams are usually: great coach, great roster, or both. Plenty of young teams have made deep runs in the OAD era, and a few have won it all.

Btw, 3 of UConn's top 5 scorers last year were new to the team, and they only returned a few players from their rotation. They dominated the tourney.

What do you base this on? He's the only one who consistently gets elite freshmen other than Duke. And they've done pretty well with them.

Again, based on what? You don't think Self could have won it all with the 2012 team?

Calipari had elite recruits at Memphis and UMass too. Not as many at UMass obviously, but Camby and Roe were great. His best Memphis teams were loaded with pro talent and top 50ish players. That's not to say that he didn't do a good job with those teams, but I'd also argue that he was a better coach back then. He hasn't adapted well to changes in the game in recent years.
You were the one who originally said you don't think Cal would have success with other teams' rosters that are currently rated highly. What are you basing that on?

In fact, your exact quote was "If Calipari had any of the rosters you mentioned, those teams wouldn't be as good as they are."

I was just using the same logic as you by saying Self would not have the success Cal has had with freshmen dominant rosters...

You were the one who originally said you don't think Cal would have success with other teams' rosters that are currently rated highly. What are you basing that on?

In fact, your exact quote was "If Calipari had any of the rosters you mentioned, those teams wouldn't be as good as they are."

I was just using the same logic as you by saying Self would not have the success Cal has had with freshmen dominant rosters...

Self is widely considered the best coach in the game right now, and he's had plenty of success with freshmen. Right now, a 4 star freshman is bursting onto the scene and possibly playing his way into being OAD. Last year, a freshman with moderate expectations was the 2nd best player on the team and went lottery.

There's no reason to assume he couldn't have plenty of success with OAD-laden teams. I'll bet he wouldn't have blown it with Cal's 2015 roster either.

• Haha
Reactions: MGO2022
Self is widely considered the best coach in the game right now, and he's had plenty of success with freshmen. Right now, a 4 star freshman is bursting onto the scene and possibly playing his way into being OAD. Last year, a freshman with moderate expectations was the 2nd best player on the team and went lottery.

There's no reason to assume he couldn't have plenty of success with OAD-laden teams. I'll bet he wouldn't have blown it with Cal's 2015 roster either.
Plenty of success with freshmen? In no way, shape, or form does Self construct his roster to be freshmen dominant, and to be reliant on the performance of multiple freshmen.

He has never once come close to doing that his entire career. Congrats on having a couple freshman individually outperform expectations. Cal has a boatload of those. That proves nothing in regards to trotting out a team that starts 3-5 freshmen almost every year and having success with them, not even close dude.

Again, you have no idea how Self would have performed against Wisc in 2015...Self has a litany of upsets in the tourney when KU had a loaded roster, many of which were 5 stars that were upperclassmen (and didn't even get out of the first round or weekend)...at least Cal got to the FF with that team. Spare me the Self wouldn't have choked BS.

Is Bill Self getting the 2014 UK team to the nat'l championship game starting five freaking freshman, only one of which was a generational talent (Julius Randle)? Cal guided Dakari Johnson, the Harrison twins, and James Young to a title game. Pretty impressive. Don't see Self doing that in a million years.

Reactions: MGO2022 and kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT