ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Kentucky?! How does Cocks taste?

The defense has been awful the entire season, not just this game
That's irrelevant to my point. UK didn't show up, at all.

It was all one on one. No passing. No assists. No toughness, no energy, no physicality, lack of effort. Incredibly common for freshmen dominated teams when going on the road.

Color me not surprised at the outcome. Some of my UK brethren were convinced this would be an easy win. To which I told them have you watched top teams on the road in college basketball this year, and have you forgotten how young this team is?

There are tons of freshmen who play good defense. Why would it take more than one season to learn to defend decently if you have length and athleticism? Besides, if you score 90 ppg, you don't need to play great defense.

Kentucky has no excuses. They have like 8 NBA players and three really good vets. If they fail to at least reach the Final Four, it's squarely on Calipari.

How many rosters would you trade with right now?
Dude, teaching freshmen how to defend is one of the toughest things a college coach can do. There is not one coach who would agree with your take.

Have you not seen any AAU games? No one, and I mean no one, plays any type of coordinated, meaningful defense.

And btw, future NBA success has nothing to do with freshmen success in college basketball. Everybody knows that.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Dude, teaching freshmen how to defend is one of the toughest things a college coach can do. There is not one coach who would agree with your take.

Have you not seen any AAU games? No one, and I mean no one, plays any type of coordinated, meaningful defense.

Not one coach would agree that a lot of freshmen play good defense? Okey doke.

You DO understand that Kentucky's best defensive teams under Calipari were full of freshmen, right? And that several of those were elite defensive teams? Btw, I'm pretty sure your weakest defender is Reeves, a fifth year guy. What's his excuse?

And btw, future NBA success has nothing to do with freshmen success in college basketball. Everybody knows that.

Kentucky has about as close to the ideal roster as it gets today. Not many teams have amazing depth in an era in which players bail if they're not guaranteed big minutes. Kentucky goes a legit 10 deep.

Two of their top three scorers have played a combined TEN years of college ball. Combining that with several elite freshmen and a couple talented sophs is about as good of a combination as you can ask for in today's game.

Which rosters would you trade with?

Calipari & pretty much the rest of KY:

05cd4710-8206-4fdc-9167-6c333bdda103_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84

You DO understand that Kentucky's best defensive teams under Calipari were full of freshmen, right? And that several of those were elite defensive teams? Btw, I'm pretty sure your weakest defender is Reeves, a fifth year guy. What's his excuse?

Kentucky has about as close to the ideal roster as it gets today. Not many teams have amazing depth in an era in which players bail if they're not guaranteed big minutes. Kentucky goes a legit 10 deep.

Two of their top three scorers have played a combined TEN years of college ball. Combining that with several elite freshmen and a couple talented sophs is about as good of a combination as you can ask for in today's game.

The fact that some of Cal's best teams had freshmen that developed into good defenders is a credit to Cal. That he was able to get them to play defense in a coordinated fashion, while relying on their teammates is flippin impressive. Most players take years to be good defensively.

Case in point, Antonio Reeves, since you brought him up. He still sucks defensively. Gets beat backdoor all the time dude. Cant stay in front of his man to save his life. Have no idea what he has to do with the discussion about the difficulties of teaching freshmen how to play defense. Reeves goes to show how challenging it actually is, as he is a fifth yr sr who still sucks defensively.

Give me UConn in a heartbeat. Just won a national championship, had a bunch of key returnees as well. That is a no brainer. Give me Purdue any day of the week. They have national player of the year, plus a bunch of guys who have played together for many years. That is irreplaceable in college basketball. Same with Tennessee, plus they have a lottery pick, national player of the year candidate who has 4 yrs of college bball under his belt. That is unheard of nowadays in college basketball. Give me their roster any day.

Who on this UK team played together before this yr started? Chemistry is irreplaceable in college basketball.

BTW, UK was preseason 16 going into the year. Just because they have a bunch of highly rated freshman means jack.

Yes, the defense needs to improve. I don't think any UK fan would disagree with that...but I wouldn't put too much stock into a game like this.

UK didn't show up. That's what happens with freshmen dominated teams in regular season games, especially those on the road.

UKs freshmen have shown up with intensity, toughness, and effort in all the "primetime" games thus far (KU, Miami, UNC, UL)...I would assume the same for then UK plays UT, Aub, Alabama, Zags, SEC Tourney, NCAAT, etc.

The problem is that losing these games effects UKs seeding, thus making it more challenging to reach a final four.
Our seeding took a massive hit when we lost to UNCW, last night didn't help.

But here's the thing about Freshmen, unless you have a transcendent/generational kid, you are going nowhere in that tournament.
Ado, Tre and Reeves are not good enough to cover that up.

The tournament is a different animal and any coach that is smart, will do exactly what SC did last night.

This team is a pretender and Cal is making a massive mistake by running Edwards out there. He’s hurting that kid with each passing game.

I'm just going to enjoy the highs and hope that everyone in our path in the NCAAT forfeits.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
There are tons of freshmen who play good defense. Why would it take more than one season to learn to defend decently if you have length and athleticism? Besides, if you score 90 ppg, you don't need to play great defense.

Kentucky has no excuses. They have like 8 NBA players and three really good vets. If they fail to at least reach the Final Four, it's squarely on Calipari.

How many rosters would you trade with right now?
Because playing great TEAM defense at the D1 level, is harder than you think.

Learning and executing defense in college, is much harder than learning offense. Cal is a far better defensive mind than offensive and we are 18 games in, but this team is actually worse than they were in November on defense.
UK's offense is legit, but they can be easily taken out of it by slowing the pace down.

Tyler Ulis and Booker were awful defenders in 14/15. Cal couldn't play them against Wisconsin. Decker was chewing them up. The next season, Ulis was an elite defender. It takes time and a lot of coaching.

Sure, if you only had one or two freshmen, you could get away with.it, but UK has 3 starting and 3 more coming off the bench.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
The fact that some of Cal's best teams had freshmen that developed into good defenders is a credit to Cal. That he was able to get them to play defense in a coordinated fashion, while relying on their teammates is flippin impressive. Most players take years to be good defensively.

Case in point, Antonio Reeves, since you brought him up. He still sucks defensively. Gets beat backdoor all the time dude. Cant stay in front of his man to save his life. Have no idea what he has to do with the discussion about the difficulties of teaching freshmen how to play defense. Reeves goes to show how challenging it actually is, as he is a fifth yr sr who still sucks defensively.

Give me UConn in a heartbeat. Just won a national championship, had a bunch of key returnees as well. That is a no brainer. Give me Purdue any day of the week. They have national player of the year, plus a bunch of guys who have played together for many years. That is irreplaceable in college basketball. Same with Tennessee, plus they have a lottery pick, national player of the year candidate who has 4 yrs of college bball under his belt. That is unheard of nowadays in college basketball. Give me their roster any day.

Who on this UK team played together before this yr started? Chemistry is irreplaceable in college basketball.

BTW, UK was preseason 16 going into the year. Just because they have a bunch of highly rated freshman means jack.
You speak very wisely for a UK fan (but don't call me dude). Chemistry is an important dynamic for CBB. It takes time even for experienced players and is almost impossible for a predominantly Freshman team. I would imagine the 5* UK recruits would even be more difficult as they probably think they are great and don't need to learn anything.

I've been trying to explain this to him for months. Dude thinks you can just draw pictures on a chalkboard and boom… you’re elite. He’s obviously never played the game, even at the YMCA level.

I just hope you don't end up going around in circles with captain A D D on this. But… ..

3dfb55aad54797770e4680579a7dbc6291dbba1d433f26e4e3170ced9f08fa24.jpg

Shit, I missed that episode. Must be after it jumped the shark for me.

Damn shark.
We got the reenactment last night.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth. What's worse is watching other fans pile on and hide behind USC.

*throws a rock in a pack of dogs. Let's see who yelps

• Haha
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Reeves is our best defender once you get past Ado, who has been out.

Dillingham, DJ, Bradshaw, Edwards, and Z are awful defenders… awful. I'm not sure what you're looking at. Z got posterized twice last night and our guards have no idea where to be and when.
Sheppard gets a lot of steals, but he gambles a lot to get those. Off the bounce, he struggles.

Those previous teams that had elite defenses, had transcendent and generational talents on them, as well as veterans. 2015 was loaded with veterans and a few freshmen.

Also, not EVERY single freshmen takes months or years to figure it out, but most do.

You speak very wisely for a UK fan (but don't call me dude). Chemistry is an important dynamic for CBB. It takes time even for experienced players and is almost impossible for a predominantly Freshman team. I would imagine the 5* UK recruits would even be more difficult as they probably think they are great and don't need to learn anything.
Dudette??

Yeah, I think chemistry in college basketball is the most important (yet somehow still underrated) aspect of finding team success.

Listen, Cal has a boatload of shortcomings as a head coach, and I have been ready to move on since the St Peter's debacle, but how he gets all these freshmen to buy in and play for each other is his greatest attribute. Not sure how he manages all the egos, immaturity, parents, families, handlers...quite remarkable.

Reactions: della
Reeves is our best defender once you get past Ado, who has been out.

Dillingham, DJ, Bradshaw, Edwards, and Z are awful defenders… awful. I'm not sure what you're looking at. Z got posterized twice last night and our guards have no idea where to be and when.
Sheppard gets a lot of steals, but he gambles a lot to get those. Off the bounce, he struggles.

Those previous teams that had elite defenses, had transcendent and generational talents on them, as well as veterans. 2015 was loaded with veterans and a few freshmen.

Also, not EVERY single freshmen takes months or years to figure it out, but most do.
Dillingham and DJ are, statistically, two of the worst on-ball defenders in the SEC.

Dudette??

Yeah, I think chemistry in college basketball is the most important (yet somehow still underrated) aspect of finding team success.

Listen, Cal has a boatload of shortcomings as a head coach, and I have been ready to move on since the St Peter's debacle, but how he gets all these freshmen to buy in and play for each other is his greatest attribute. Not sure how he manages all the egos, immaturity, parents, families, handlers...quite remarkable.
Yes on dudette and I agree with you about Cal. He is a master recruiter and overall he manages all those egos well. For all the crap I give UK fans about Barnes, I never put down Cal, cause I think he is a great coach.

Yes on dudette and I agree with you about Cal. He is a master recruiter and overall he manages all those egos well. For all the crap I give UK fans about Barnes, I never put down Cal, cause I think he is a great coach.
I prefer to focus on his few losses and not on all the wins.

Just give me a few days to get over my pity party. TIA

We can talk again after our next win. So, see you around mid-Feb.

Weird how the entire narrative shifts after every game. Good game - great roster. Ready to take on anyone. Bad game - roster not good enough.

Continuity's great, but it doesn't make you faster, taller or stronger, and it doesn't make you an elite shooter. Not many teams are going to have a ton of continuity in the portal era.

Something tells me that you wouldn't celebrate if Calipari started focusing on recruiting low 4 star/3 star players (the ones who stay several years).

If Calipari had any of the rosters you mentioned, those teams wouldn't be as good as they are. Btw, if he's such a master at getting freshmen to play defense, what happened this season?

Because playing great TEAM defense at the D1 level, is harder than you think.

Learning and executing defense in college, is much harder than learning offense. Cal is a far better defensive mind than offensive and we are 18 games in, but this team is actually worse than they were in November on defense.
UK's offense is legit, but they can be easily taken out of it by slowing the pace down.

Tyler Ulis and Booker were awful defenders in 14/15. Cal couldn't play them against Wisconsin. Decker was chewing them up. The next season, Ulis was an elite defender. It takes time and a lot of coaching.

Sure, if you only had one or two freshmen, you could get away with.it, but UK has 3 starting and 3 more coming off the bench.

They obviously don't need to be elite on the defensive end to go far. They average 90 freaking points per game. If they played elite team defense, they'd go undefeated and win every game by 30. 😆

Every fanbase in the country can nitpick their roster. The point is that few, if any, wouldn't trade with Kentucky. There's a reason that Gottlieb and others are "pushing their chips in" on Kentucky, and there's a reason they're top 5 in national title odds.

So which rosters around the nation do you think Calipari could cut the nets with?

Weird how the entire narrative shifts after every game. Good game - great roster. Ready to take on anyone. Bad game - roster not good enough.

Continuity's great, but it doesn't make you faster, taller or stronger, and it doesn't make you an elite shooter. Not many teams are going to have a ton of continuity in the portal era.

Something tells me that you wouldn't celebrate if Calipari started focusing on recruiting low 4 star/3 star players (the ones who stay several years).

If Calipari had any of the rosters you mentioned, those teams wouldn't be as good as they are. Btw, if he's such a master at getting freshmen to play defense, what happened this season?
Calipari does recruit 3 and 4 star players. Reed Sheppard, Hart and Burks are 4* kids. Problem is, in this NBA farm system, they get recruited over and transfer. Thats why Lance Ware, Johnny Juzang, Baker, Charles, Dontai Allen, Bryce Hopkins, etc… . have transferred.

It doesn't work at UK with Cal in charge.

They obviously don't need to be elite on the defensive end to go far. They average 90 freaking points per game. If they played elite team defense, they'd go undefeated and win every game by 30. 😆

Every fanbase in the country can nitpick their roster. The point is that few, if any, wouldn't trade with Kentucky. There's a reason that Gottlieb and others are "pushing their chips in" on Kentucky, and there's a reason they're top 5 in national title odds.

So which rosters around the nation do you think Calipari could cut the nets with?
Our defense is rated 98th and dropping. It gives up wide open 3's and layups all game long.

Teams that only average 60 ppg are scoring 80+ on UK.

No, it doesn’t have to be elite, but it can't be poor either.

I was absolutely disgusted by last night's game. Got so ticked off I turned it off with 10 min left. So sick and tired of this bullshit with Calipari.

• Haha
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I was absolutely disgusted by last night's game. Got so ticked off I turned it off with 10 min left. So sick and tired of this bullshit with Calipari.
Can you even remember the last time KY licked our Cocks……in anything?!

Our defense is rated 98th and dropping. It gives up wide open 3's and layups all game long.

Teams that only average 60 ppg are scoring 80+ on UK.

No, it doesn’t have to be elite, but it can't be poor either.

So which rosters from around the nation could Calipari win the NC with?

No narrative has changed, at least not with me. Don't paint with a broad brush. I put no stock in last night's loss. It is very typical to lose many road conference games with mostly freshmen. Nothing surprising at all about that.

Continuity is the single most important attribute in finding success in college basketball. If you were to say otherwise, I would question your basketball IQ, as would anyone. Heck, look at the top 5 teams in AP poll currently. Tell me what is the common denominator in all those teams...I will give you a hint, it is what you say many teams don't have in this era.

Calipari is the best option to lead a freshmen dominated team in the country. He knows how to manage egos, immaturity, families, etc. Now, that doesn't mask his in game coaching shortcomings, but it can help him overcome them.

I still have no problem seeing this UK team as a final four team.

By the way, I could say the same thing about Self. Give him a freshmen dominant team, he wouldn't have the success Cal has found. And by the way, I know ppl like to overlook this, but Cal's teams at mid major UMass and Memphis were dominated by 3 and 4 stars, and he had plenty of success.

He has chosen not to go that route anymore. He has to deal with the consequences if he can't find success with mostly freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT