ADVERTISEMENT

Has the NCAA ended college sports?

Why is revenue sharing wrong in your opinion?
Because kids ARE being compensated. And they are being given a FREE platform to perform on. At every level, schools are making money off kids----Organizations are making money off kids. Should HS kids get paid? It cost $8 to attend a HS basketball game here. When people pay that $8, they are paying to see those kids play. Where is the difference when you pay to watch TENN play?

The IHSAA here gets all gate receipts for IHSAA tournament games. 100%. Its $10 a pop to attend a tournmanet game. I worked a semi-state game at Seymour HS----capacity is 8,000 plus. And it was sold out. Those people paid to see the players...

Should the IHSAA start paying HS kids then?

Your strawman of looking at less than 1% of high school teams. Besides, the NCAA deal only applies to major D-1 programs.
You're the one that brought HS sports into the argument---Not me.

Because kids ARE being compensated. And they are being given a FREE platform to perform on. At every level, schools are making money off kids----Organizations are making money off kids. Should HS kids get paid? It cost $8 to attend a HS basketball game here. When people pay that $8, they are paying to see those kids play. Where is the difference when you pay to watch TENN play?

The IHSAA here gets all gate receipts for IHSAA tournament games. 100%. Its $10 a pop to attend a tournmanet game. I worked a semi-state game at Seymour HS----capacity is 8,000 plus. And it was sold out. Those people paid to see the players...

Should the IHSAA start paying HS kids then?
High school coaches don't make millions of dollars. High schools don't have lucrative TV deals. You are jjust being silly now.

You don't want kids to be paid cause they didn't get paid in the past and you just don't give shit if things are different now.

Middle school- no kids are paid
Schools don't make any money

Highschool- no kids are paid
Schools don't make money

College- kids should be paid
Colleges makes tons of money off kids

NBA kids get paid
NBA makes lots of money

Tell me why college kids should not be paid?
About 7 years ago, a kid named Romeo Langford came along. HS phenom. Played in front of packed houses wherever he went...Sold out venues during every state tournament game. NA sold thousands upon thousands of Langford items----basketballs, jersey's, etc...They sold out every single game for 4 years: Gym capacity is around 6,000.

How much money does New Albany owe him?

How much does the IHSAA owe him? When New Albany played for Regional title---16.000+ showed up for two games at Seymour. In the semi-state, almost 9,000 paid....Then at the state finals, Gainbridge damn near sold out...

THe IHSAA got 100% of the gate...so roughly 40,000 people, at $10 a pop---that is until the finals---when it cost $18.

How much does the IHSAA owe Langford?

High school coaches don't make millions of dollars. High schools don't have lucrative TV deals. You are jjust being silly now.

You don't want kids to be paid cause they didn't get paid in the past and you just don't give shit if things are different now.
You bring up HS----but I am the one being silly for answering?

Ok..

I don't give a shit? Sure I do. I just have a different opinion. You think kids are being taken advantage of---I don't. They are compensated extremely well. With all they get, its probably WORTH north of $200K. If not more.

The past is no different, than now---There's just more money. But there has always been A LOT of $$$.

And this money being made is being invested back....its being used to pay for the amenities that these kidsa re afforded. But lets just ignore that.

And the most important thing?

NO ONE IS FORCING these kids to go to college. They choose to, knowing the circumstances of their decision to do so. If you don't like the fact TENN is making millions, and you are not---don't go. Play overseas. Go to G-League. But they don't...ANd you wanna know why?

Because they know the exposure they get at a P5 school, has the potential to make them MILLIONS of dolars.

You bring up HS----but I am the one being silly for answering?

Ok..

I don't give a shit? Sure I do. I just have a different opinion. You think kids are being taken advantage of---I don't. They are compensated extremely well. With all they get, its probably WORTH north of $200K. If not more.

The past is no different, than now---There's just more money. But there has always been A LOT of $$$.

And this money being made is being invested back....its being used to pay for the amenities that these kidsa re afforded. But lets just ignore that.

And the most important thing?

NO ONE IS FORCING these kids to go to college. They choose to, knowing the circumstances of their decision to do so. If you don't like the fact TENN is making millions, and you are not---don't go. Play overseas. Go to G-League. But they don't...ANd you wanna know why?

Because they know the exposure they get at a P5 school, has the potential to make them MILLIONS of dolars.
The bottom line is you think that it doesn't matter how much money the schools and coaches make, you don't want to pay the kids a fair share despite them being who plays the game.

Coaches use to make nothing for coaching in the beginning. Tons of money hasn't always been there. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

In a sense kids are forced to play at college if they want to play in the NBA. That is the system that has been put forth, so stop with the "no one forces them to go to college" stuff.

I would be fine if the G league were expanded and all Pro prospects went there. That would leave college teams with players that go to college for colleges sake.

The bottom line is you think that it doesn't matter how much money the schools and coaches make, you don't want to pay the kids a fair share despite them being who plays the game.

Coaches use to make nothing for coaching in the beginning. Tons of money hasn't always been there. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

In a sense kids are forced to play at college if they want to play in the NBA. That is the system that has been put forth, so stop with the "no one forces them to go to college" stuff.

I would be fine if the G league were expanded and all Pro prospects went there. That would leave college teams with players that go to college for colleges sake.
You are right---I don't care how much the school makes. I mean after all, money, and lots of it, is needed to sustain a university. Its money also used to provide athletes the amenities they enjoy.

Money has always been there---To ignore such, is just as ridiculous. No coaches were not amking now,what they made in 1950---but that doesn't change the fact they were still making money, and kids were not. So to you, its now only a problem since coaches are now getting paid more? Interesting.

You make a really good point---but not so sure its the point you really want to make: "Kids are forced to play in college, if they want to play in the NBA"---Yep. Well, sort of. And who provides that avenue? Who PAYS for that avenue? Yeah,thats right----the schools do. And what do they get in return? Maybe a year or two of making a few million....And what does that kid get? A free platform to perform on, that leads to or could lead to, millions and millions and millions of dollars.

If I told you this---"Della, you come 'work' for me. You wont get paid, but during your time here, I will provide you housing, food, clothing, medical care, free travel, etc-----and in a year, you will make millions of dollars..."

Would you take that offer? I bet you would----ANd its exactly why kids choose college---They know its the qucikest avenue to the NBA----Being a millionaire.

As for kids who go to college for "college sake"---Should they get paid?

And what about HS kids? What about revenue sharing for them?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
To lay out the difference between amateur athletics and not amateur athletics.
Where is the difference? You said people are paying to see players. Well, they are doing that in HS as well. The IHSAA makes millions off the IHSAA basketball tournament. How much should they give to the players?

Making money is making money....But we want to put a price tag on what is amateur, and what is not. You are basically telling me this...

It was OK for schools not to pay kids, AT ALL, when there wasn't millions of dollars available. Why is that? To you its ok if TENN was only making $45M off of football, not to give the players "revenue sharing"---But now that they are making hndreds of millions, well now kids need paid?

Intersting.

Players should be allowed to make money off their likeness. It's absurd they couldn't in the past. They are literally the only people anywhere who were not allowed to do so. Some random trombone player could have a job, make money, get paid to give lessons, etc.... but an athlete? Nah.

“Tromboner”

Crazy word!

Last edited:
I’m curious how many 18 y.o. male athletes would be willing to have a percentage be “girls” as a part of their compensation package?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I wonder if we'll ever see what a team paid for their players.

"OMG you paid x amount of money and you still couldn't get to a Final Four".

ADVERTISEMENT