ADVERTISEMENT

Has the NCAA ended college sports?

Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2003
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
kentucky.rivals.com
With the new structure of the NCAA putting in billions of dollars into college players hands has the NCAA signed off on "college" sports?

I hope that I am wrong but this could be the end of my entertainment. I love college football and basketball and this could be the end of it.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
You are an older person, you have seen college athletics become a huge business with money pouring into schools making them and their staffs rich. Why would compensating players make any difference?

You are an older person, you have seen college athletics become a huge business with money pouring into schools making them and their staffs rich. Why would compensating players make any difference?
Serious?

I think paying players is ridiculous. But that is just me.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
With the new structure of the NCAA putting in billions of dollars into college players hands has the NCAA signed off on "college" sports?

I hope that I am wrong but this could be the end of my entertainment. I love college football and basketball and this could be the end of it.

Bert, unfortunately, it is....NIL started it----this just ended it.

You got a reason or is it just the way you feel?
Plenty...

1. $100K worth of free education
2. Access to top notch medical care
3. Top notch training facilities/trainers
4. Free travel all over the country
5. Huge stage to showcase their talent..
6. Clothing, shoes

Save me they are "starving" also---Horseshit. And if they are---sell those $500 headphones you have on.

If you or I sprain our ankle, tear this or that---gonna cost us out the ass. Thousands of dollars. Not these dudes. If we are sore from work, we take some advil, sit in a hot bath. If these dudes are sore, they go sit in a state of the art facility, to "heal". If you or I want some gear, i.e. hoodies, pullovers, jump suits, shorts, etc...gonna run us hundreds of dollars. How about the unlimited pairs of shoes they have access to.

Staying in 4-5 star hotels....some schools fly private....meals prepared by chefs.

All this for a teenager that will be at your school for maybe 6 months.

And here's a shocker-----Those 20,000 fans that fill the seats to see such and such play? Yeah those same folks will be back, year after year, after year---after year.

And kids are making money of schools----Millions upon millions. Its called NBA contracts.

And here is the kicker.....No one is forcing you to attend college. Go overseas for a year, until you're NBA eligible...play in the G-League. Or play some pick-up, start a Tik-Tok.

The exposure these kids get, AT THE UNIVERSITIES dime, is another HUGE benefit.

Also, look at the $$ AAU makes. I mean why is it fair for these AAU events to make millions off these events, and not have to pay these kids?

The concern I have seen is this could eliminate some sports at some schools. Football and sometimes basketball subsidizes all other sports. Now they are going to be out 20 million to pay the players.

So they could start cutting costs by eliminating the sports that lose money. Which may not matter to some of you, but look at all the scholarships and opportunities it gives kids.

Plus you have to remember the title ix implications. If you drop a women's sport, you lose the same amount of men's scholarships. The last to be touched will be football and basketball, but everything else could be impacted.

The concern I have seen is this could eliminate some sports at some schools. Football and sometimes basketball subsidizes all other sports. Now they are going to be out 20 million to pay the players.

So they could start cutting costs by eliminating the sports that lose money. Which may not matter to some of you, but look at all the scholarships and opportunities it gives kids.

Plus you have to remember the title ix implications. If you drop a women's sport, you lose the same amount of men's scholarships. The last to be touched will be football and basketball, but everything else could be impacted.
Yep....And a reason why the NCAA is so important to college athletics----They $$$ they give back to these schools, basivally supports non-revenue sports.

EDIT---And to add---You think its expensive NOW to go watch a CBB game? Yeah....oh, boy.

Plenty...

1. $100K worth of free education
2. Access to top notch medical care
3. Top notch training facilities/trainers
4. Free travel all over the country
5. Huge stage to showcase their talent..
6. Clothing, shoes

Save me they are "starving" also---Horseshit. And if they are---sell those $500 headphones you have on.

If you or I sprain our ankle, tear this or that---gonna cost us out the ass. Thousands of dollars. Not these dudes. If we are sore from work, we take some advil, sit in a hot bath. If these dudes are sore, they go sit in a state of the art facility, to "heal". If you or I want some gear, i.e. hoodies, pullovers, jump suits, shorts, etc...gonna run us hundreds of dollars. How about the unlimited pairs of shoes they have access to.

Staying in 4-5 star hotels....some schools fly private....meals prepared by chefs.

All this for a teenager that will be at your school for maybe 6 months.

And here's a shocker-----Those 20,000 fans that fill the seats to see such and such play? Yeah those same folks will be back, year after year, after year---after year.

And kids are making money of schools----Millions upon millions. Its called NBA contracts.

And here is the kicker.....No one is forcing you to attend college. Go overseas for a year, until you're NBA eligible...play in the G-League. Or play some pick-up, start a Tik-Tok.

The exposure these kids get, AT THE UNIVERSITIES dime, is another HUGE benefit.

Also, look at the $$ AAU makes. I mean why is it fair for these AAU events to make millions off these events, and not have to pay these kids?
That is all chicken feed when you consider the SEC alone signed a 3 billion dollar deal with just the SEC. College Sports across the country is a multi billion dollar business. Who do fans actually come to see anyway? It's the players...

It is an absolute joke to be fine with coaches making over 10 mil a year and college blowing 100s of millions a year building one stupid building after another and yet not truly compensate the players at MARKET Value.

Maybe teams who couldn't compete historically or in the modern era can now compete in the new modern era and refer to it as the only era that matters.

Some could say the only reason they are competitive now, is due to the enormous amount of money they're spending to buy players.

Players should be allowed to make money off their likeness. It's absurd they couldn't in the past. They are literally the only people anywhere who were not allowed to do so. Some random trombone player could have a job, make money, get paid to give lessons, etc.... but an athlete? Nah.

Players should be allowed to make money off their likeness. It's absurd they couldn't in the past. They are literally the only people anywhere who were not allowed to do so. Some random trombone player could have a job, make money, get paid to give lessons, etc.... but an athlete? Nah.
That's completely different----and you know it. Marching bands? Really?

That is all chicken feed when you consider the SEC alone signed a 3 billion dollar deal with just the SEC. College Sports across the country is a multi billion dollar business. Who do fans actually come to see anyway? It's the players...

It is an absolute joke to be fine with coaches making over 10 mil a year and college blowing 100s of millions a year building one stupid building after another and yet not truly compensate the players at MARKET Value.
Somebody is always gonna make more than you....And sure, schools are making a lot---What, you tink they are stock piling the shit? Running a university, isn't cheap, ya know. Just look at the cost of operating TBA, FOR ONE GAME. Or even more so---the cost of operating Neyland for a game.

Some of you act as if conference's and schools operate for free.

Save me the fans come to see the players shit. Just an ignorant argument. They are coming to see a team---and on occasion, the handful of "the players", you speak of.

NIL is enough. No need to start paying kids directly.

And look, wanna get paid? Cool. But you just cant ask for $$---then not perform. Wanna be treated like a "pro", or an employee? Ok...Then you had better perform.

Acting like athletes are so abused, so to speak---taken advantage of is asinine. Shit, they(players) are doing the same....Using a school for the exposure, then moving on to $300 million dollar contrcts. Maybe they should have to compensate the school? After all, it was the schools NAME they used...School paif for all their travel, food, uniforms, -----the facilities they used. They medical staff they had access to.

Its a two-way street, here.

Last edited:
When players start being responsible for a program, and the responsibilities that come with it----We can have this discussion.

And who determines "market value"?---Someone counting how many jersey's getting sold at the gift shop? Are you saying if a kid is a projected lotto pick----that is what he should get paid----at a minimum? OK...Lets say TENN pays PLayer A the going rate for a lotto pick. And now lets say that kid doesn't live up to his billing.

Now what? Should he have to pay the money back? Should TENN be allowed to fire him/her-----at any given time? I mean that's what happens in the real world when the grown ups don't live up to their obligations at their job....

Right?

Or naaah, lets just continue coddling them. Hows that worked out?

Somebody is always gonna make more than you....And sure, schools are making a lot---What, you tink they are stock piling the shit? Running a university, isn't cheap, ya know. Just look at the cost of operating TBA, FOR ONE GAME. Or even more so---the cost of operating Neyland for a game.

Some of you act as if conference's and schools operate for free.

Save me the fans come to see the players shit. Just an ignorant argument. They are coming to see a team---and on occasion, the handful of "the players", you speak of.

NIL is enough. No need to start paying kids directly.

And look, wanna get paid? Cool. But you just cant ask for $$---then not perform. Wanna be treated like a "pro", or an employee? Ok...Then you had better perform.

Acting like athletes are so abused, so to speak---taken advantage of is asinine. Shit, they(players) are doing the same....Using a school for the exposure, then moving on to $300 million dollar contrcts. Maybe they should have to compensate the school? After all, it was the schools NAME they used...School paif for all their travel, food, uniforms, -----the facilities they used. They medical staff they had access to.

Its a two-way street, here.
It is a two way street or should be. What do you keep going on about medical access for? The only reason they would use medical access if they got hurt playing or practicing to perform for fans in the first place.

Schools are designed to educate students and back in the day they did that and sports were amateur. Now coaches get filthy rich and schools get filthy rich off the Ameutar atheltes.

Fact is there is nothing amateur about College sports and there hasn't been for many years. You seem to want to be half pregnant here. Well, you can't do that, you either are or you aren't. If you going to bring billions of dollars into it, the main draw needs their share too.

When players start being responsible for a program, and the responsibilities that come with it----We can have this discussion.

And who determines "market value"?---Someone counting how many jersey's getting sold at the gift shop? Are you saying if a kid is a projected lotto pick----that is what he should get paid----at a minimum? OK...Lets say TENN pays PLayer A the going rate for a lotto pick. And now lets say that kid doesn't live up to his billing.

Now what? Should he have to pay the money back? Should TENN be allowed to fire him/her-----at any given time? I mean that's what happens in the real world when the grown ups don't live up to their obligations at their job....

Right?

Or naaah, lets just continue coddling them. Hows that worked out?
The market determines market value, duh. Teams drop underperforming players today and have been for some time. Though you can go to school for 4 years, scholarships are on a yearly basis. It's just like an employee at a business.

Sure, but it's still the truth.
A distorted truth. Last time I checked, Rivals isn't ranking Top 100 trombone players...And maybe I missed the 2024 Marching Band Draft...

And keeo this in mind---Sure that trombone player can make money---But he'she is gonna need it. After all, they are having to pay for their education

Last edited:
The market determines market value, duh. Teams drop underperforming players today and have been for some time. Though you can go to school for 4 years, scholarships are on a yearly basis. It's just like an employee at a business.
How many times can you tell me where a kid wasn't brought back----due on performance?

It is a two way street or should be. What do you keep going on about medical access for? The only reason they would use medical access if they got hurt playing or practicing to perform for fans in the first place.

Schools are designed to educate students and back in the day they did that and sports were amateur. Now coaches get filthy rich and schools get filthy rich off the Ameutar atheltes.

Fact is there is nothing amateur about College sports and there hasn't been for many years. You seem to want to be half pregnant here. Well, you can't do that, you either are or you aren't. If you going to bring billions of dollars into it, the main draw needs their share too.
You ignore every single amenity these kids receive----and it goes beyond that of the normal student. I played D2 baseball---at a small college. Things THEN afforded to me, was insane. These kids are not going without. And are being highly compensated, AND taken care of.

As an athlete, you have 100% access to the team physican/doctor, at ALL TIMES.

No one is forcing these kids to go to college. Its like working at WalMart, and being pissed you only make $10 hour, when McDonalds is paying $12---Well, go to McDonalds.

These schools are providing the very platform these kids use, to showcase their talents, that make many of them, very, very wealthy. Why is that forgotten?

There needs to be stipulations put in place, especially monetarily. The transfer portals gotten a little ridiculous as well. But I do think the players should get paid.

You ignore every single amenity these kids receive----and it goes beyond that of the normal student. I played D2 baseball---at a small college. Things THEN afforded to me, was insane. These kids are not going without. And are being highly compensated, AND taken care of.

As an athlete, you have 100% access to the team physican/doctor, at ALL TIMES.

No one is forcing these kids to go to college. Its like working at WalMart, and being pissed you only make $10 hour, when McDonalds is paying $12---Well, go to McDonalds.

These schools are providing the very platform these kids use, to showcase their talents, that make many of them, very, very wealthy. Why is that forgotten?
Let's keep this to one post responses, OK. To your post #21 Who cares?

Your post #22 You ignore the massive amounts of money is involved. Bear Bryant started out at $750/yr and now Kirby Smart is making 15 million/yr. You tout Medical BS which is really all about injuries acquired playing the game that makes people billions.

So, you ant to take advantage of skilled athletes and send them to Micky D's? The Gov't has ruled that is exploitation and it is high timed they did.

You have not explained why schools and staff should be allowed to make bundles of money and the players shouldn't? You have also failed to explain why things are completely different from volunteer coaching when the sport was in it's pure amateur beginning to multi million dollar coaches.

You appear fine with everyone getting rich, but the players.

There needs to be stipulations put in place, especially monetarily. The transfer portals gotten a little ridiculous as well. But I do think the players should get paid.
Why does there need to be a stipulation? Let the market sort it out. That is what we do in a free market society, at least it's what it's suppose to do.

Lets see....

John Wall and Anthony Davis are worth a combined, $290 million dollars; Wall at $110M---AD around $180M. Both were at UK for a single year---about 8 months. Played 80 games, or so....Maybe 30+ at home.

Just wondering---You think UK made $290M dollars off those two kids? I don't.

WHo got the better end of that deal? And who provided the "stage" for those two kids to showcase their talents.

Save me the sad stories about schools getting rich off kids....Kids are getting rich off the schools as well, my friend.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Lets see....

John Wall and Anthony Davis are worth a combined, $290 million dollars; Wall at $110M---AD around $180M. Both were at UK for a single year---about 8 months. Played 80 games, or so....Maybe 30+ at home.

Just wondering---You think UK made $290M dollars off those two kids? I don't.

WHo got the better end of that deal? And who provided the "stage" for those two kids to showcase their talents.

Save me the sad stories about schools getting rich off kids....Kids are getting rich off the schools as well, my friend.
Quit throwing up strawman and explain why you think players shouldn't make money since schools and coaches are making many times more than they use to?

Quit throwing up strawman and explain why you think players shouldn't make money since schools and coaches are making many times more than they use to?
How is that a strawman---Its a fact. Kids are using school as their stage to the NBA. ALl the while, they are getting compensated, i.e. school paid for, clothing, medical care, food, housing, etc,etc….Then after a short stay, they are off to the NBA to make millions.

If I allowed you to use my resources as a catapult for your career, do you owe ME anything? Or say I made $200K off of you----but you made $500K off of me.

Who owes who?

How is that a strawman---Its a fact. Kids are using school as their stage to the NBA. ALl the while, they are getting compensated, i.e. school paid for, clothing, medical care, food, housing, etc,etc….Then after a short stay, they are off to the NBA to make millions.

If I allowed you to use my resources as a catapult for your career, do you owe ME anything? Or say I made $200K off of you----but you made $500K off of me.

Who owes who?
The dynamics have changed in money. Why should players not be paid under those circumstance? Btw, not every players makes millions in the NBA.

A distorted truth. Last time I checked, Rivals isn't ranking Top 100 trombone players...And maybe I missed the 2024 Marching Band Draft...

And keeo this in mind---Sure that trombone player can make money---But he'she is gonna need it. After all, they are having to pay for their education

But the point remains that athletes were restricted from making money. Why, when other people who also got a free education were not? I am sure some people in band get scholarships. I got academic scholarships and tutored some kids in math and got paid for it. I don't love the fact that it will eventually put an end to college sports but disallowing a person to make money off their own likeness was always wrong.

The dynamics have changed in money. Why should players not be paid under those circumstance? Btw, not every players makes millions in the NBA.
But lets be honest----this is exactly what the argument is about. We are not talking about the walk-ons, or the 3-star kids. Nobody is "worried" about those kids. But gawd forbid a kid whos a lotto pick, a top pick, doesn't get paid...

Are you arguing for the 8th man here-----Or the cant miss 5*?

But the point remains that athletes were restricted from making money. Why, when other people who also got a free education were not? I am sure some people in band get scholarships. I got academic scholarships and tutored some kids in math and got paid for it. I don't love the fact that it will eventually put an end to college sports but disallowing a person to make money off their own likeness was always wrong.
Because of the dynamics of college sports. Theres no recruiting battles for trombone players, or chemist...Its apples to oranges.

Because of the dynamics of college sports. Theres no recruiting battles for trombone players, or chemist...Its apples to oranges.

That's not entirely true actually but irrelevant anyway. None of the arguments against it have any merit. It is simply should a person be allowed to make money off their own likeness or not? It isn't that complicated. You don't have to like something to recognize why it is.

Reactions: della
But lets be honest----this is exactly what the argument is about. We are not talking about the walk-ons, or the 3-star kids. Nobody is "worried" about those kids. But gawd forbid a kid whos a lotto pick, a top pick, doesn't get paid...

Are you arguing for the 8th man here-----Or the cant miss 5*?
Middle school- no kids are paid
Schools don't make any money

Highschool- no kids are paid
Schools don't make money

College- kids should be paid
Colleges makes tons of money off kids

NBA kids get paid
NBA makes lots of money

Tell me why college kids should not be paid?

That's not entirely true actually but irrelevant anyway. None of the arguments against it have any merit. It is simply should a person be allowed to make money off their own likeness or not? It isn't that complicated. You don't have to like something to recognize why it is.
My issue is not with NIL....Its fine. I get that. But schools directly paying kids? That's diferent---and you know this.

Middle school- no kids are paid
Schools don't make any money

Highschool- no kids are paid
Schools don't make money

College- kids should be paid
Colleges makes tons of money off kids

NBA kids get paid
NBA makes lots of money

Tell me why college kids should not be paid?
Whoa, wait---MS and HS's don't make money? So where does all that gate money go when I work a HS basketball game in front of 7,000 fans? HIghschools make tons of money off their student athletes....especially in places like Texas, where they fill 30,000 seat stadiums for a HS football game.

Wanna talk about strawman shit....

My issue is not with NIL....Its fine. I get that. But schools directly paying kids? That's diferent---and you know this.
Why is revenue sharing wrong in your opinion?

Whoa, wait---MS and HS's don't make money? So where does all that gate money go when I work a HS basketball game in front of 7,000 fans? HIghschools make tons of money off their student athletes....especially in places like Texas, where they fill 30,000 seat stadiums for a HS football game.

Wanna talk about strawman shit....
Your strawman of looking at less than 1% of high school teams. Besides, the NCAA deal only applies to major D-1 programs.

ADVERTISEMENT