ADVERTISEMENT

GOT

I think greyworm’s distaste in Jon pulling back will come into play next week. Dany won’t let Jon be the one to kill her IMO.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I think greyworm’s distaste in Jon pulling back will come into play next week. Dany won’t let Jon be the one to kill her IMO.

Yeah, that will lead to something for sure. She really has no friends left besides Greyworm though. Only people who fear her.

Weird to see the scorpion weapons go from OP to useless.

Weird to see Dany have such a big army after the massacre at winterfell.
100% on the scorpions. But they never should’ve been so effective in the first place. That whole scene when the second dragon dies was awful - she should’ve been able to see that fleet, and/or bran should’ve been able to know where the fleet was. So bad.

Weird to see the scorpion weapons go from OP to useless.

Weird to see Dany have such a big army after the massacre at winterfell.
100% on the scorpions. But they never should’ve been so effective in the first place. That whole scene when the second dragon dies was awful - she should’ve been able to see that fleet, and/or bran should’ve been able to know where the fleet was. So bad.

Yeah, or just quickly change directions and come up behind them and destroy them all. It was silly. It was like they introduced the dragons, realized they were unstoppable and had to do some dumb thing to make it seem like humans could beat them.

For the record, I actually thought this was a good episode. Would’ve liked for someone to smoke Cersei, but just liked that the dragon finally was really unleashed and was unstoppable as it should’ve been.

I just wished they had 10 episodes so they could’ve fully developed different storylines, and not had the frenetic pace. Like Dany became the mad queen in a day.

And Bronn got a hit with a single scorpion. Now they have about 50 of the suckers and no hits?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
For the record, I actually thought this was a good episode. Would’ve liked for someone to smoke Cersei, but just liked that the dragon finally was really unleashed and was unstoppable as it should’ve been.

I just wished they had 10 episodes so they could’ve fully developed different storylines, and not had the frenetic pace. Like Dany became the mad queen in a day.
i think that is the biggest problem with this season

Reactions: tw3301 and Toast.
And Bronn got a hit with a single scorpion. Now they have about 50 of the suckers and no hits?
Yeah obviously that was dumb. They should’ve always been as big and slow and difficult to aim as they were in this episode. Euron should’ve never been able to perfectly snipe a moving target that’s thousands of feet away.

Ok. I didn’t think it was a bad episode, but wtf just happened? Everything is cool. Golden Company surrenders. Dragon is chilling on a wall. A bell rings. And for some god damned reason it turns Dany into Mad Queen Bitch. Why?

Cersei had to die. I’m glad she’s dead. But I didn’t want to feel sorry for her. She should’ve died brutally like Joffrey. At least she cried. That’s the most redemption we get.

Dany has been a bitch for a few seasons. Somebody should’ve called her out 3 seasons ago for her bullshit.

Ok. I didn’t think it was a bad episode, but wtf just happened? Everything is cool. Golden Company surrenders. Dragon is chilling on a wall. A bell rings. And for some god damned reason it turns Dany into Mad Queen Bitch. Why?

Cersei had to die. I’m glad she’s dead. But I didn’t want to feel sorry for her. She should’ve died brutally like Joffrey. At least she cried. That’s the most redemption we get.

Dany has been a bitch for a few seasons. Somebody should’ve called her out 3 seasons ago for her bullshit.

The Golden Company burned alive. That was the Lannister army surrendering.

the other dragon was injured .. had holes in its wings and couldnt fly as well as the main Dragon Drogon.

they've been hinting at dany for a while... including her visions. Its sad and unfortunate but she needed Jorah and Messundae (however you spell it) to keep her grounded and moral ... the loss of the two and Jon backing away from her has driven her mad... I think its a heartbreaking but awesome turn of events for her character. GRRM always said the ending would be truly bittersweet...

they've been hinting at dany for a while... including her visions. Its sad and unfortunate but she needed Jorah and Messundae (however you spell it) to keep her grounded and moral ... the loss of the two and Jon backing away from her has driven her mad... I think its a heartbreaking but awesome turn of events for her character. GRRM always said the ending would be truly bittersweet...

So far it's just bitter

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
A few issues I had.

If Dany was going to go that baths!t crazy, they should have built more transition to that into the plot. To go Fromm breaker of chains to murderer of women and children with so little buildout was weak over a few episodes was weak.

After Jamie had those moments with Brienne, to give his life just to get back to Cersei, who he had been drifting apart from didn’t make sense.

Cersei was the longest tenured villain in the show. To give her such a weak and mildly sympathetic death was a copout. They could have tied the above point and given a more satisfying death if they’d have had Jamie stab her up in the Red Keep and then died alongside her.

Arya surviving all of those near death experiences and then having a damn white horse show up was over the top movie magic.

Euron just happening to come out of the water as Jamie is trying to back door into the castle was ultra convenient. Hell, Euron being to only person to make it to shore was too.

Cleganebowl was solid but what was up with the back and forth between Sandor being stomped and Arya being trampled. They had their arc. Did you really need to force that additional connection?

At the end of the day, this is on GRRM for not finishing his damn books but the showrunners butchered last night’s episode.

I enjoyed the episode mostly. Not sure why Dany even needed an army, she laid waste to the entire city on her own. What did Jon and the soldiers kill... 50 men total? Wish someone would have got Cersei personally, not just a rock. Where's Bronn?

That said, those 2 d-bag directors have ruined the last 2 seasons of what could've been the greatest TV show ever. Supposedly they are rushing through the last 2 seasons because they want to move on to their Star Wars project? If so, F them for this wasted opportunity. Still a great show, but could've been so much better with 2 seasons of full episodes and not rushing things / throwing entire stories away just to finish on time.

Maybe for you. I’m loving this season.

I didn’t say I didn’t like the season. I’m saying the ending is bitter as in Westeros in shambles right now. Nothing sweet about it if it ends as is. I’m hoping we get some sweet to go along with the bitterness of hundreds of thousands being burned alive.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Are they doing the prequel to GoT?

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/game-of-thrones-prequel-what-to-know

What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

Who is behind it? Jane Goldman and GoT author George R.R. Martin are the creators of this new series, with Goldman serving as the showrunner. Both will executive produce, alongside SJ Clarkson (The Defenders, Jessica Jones, HBO’s Succession and the upcoming Star Trek installment), who will also be directing the pilot episode; James Farrell; Jim Danger Gray; Vince Gerardis; Daniel Zelman and co-executive producer Chris Symes. Martin was also an executive producer on Game of Thrones and contributed to several episode scripts.

Also,

In a November 2018 interview with Entertainment Weekly, George R. R. Martin shared a few more details. He noted that the show takes place about 5,000 years before Game of Thrones. "Westeros is a very different place," he said. "There’s no King’s Landing. There’s no Iron Throne. There are no Targaryens—Valyria has hardly begun to rise yet with its dragons and the great empire that it built. We’re dealing with a different and older world and hopefully that will be part of the fun of the series." He added that Goldman is "going into territory that I haven’t explored very much in the books. I’ve hinted about them." Fans have speculated that this means the series may focus on historical or legendary figures that have been mentioned in the A Song Of Ice and Fire series, such as House Stark founder Bran the Builder.

Reactions: SNU0821
Yeah, it has sort of been trending towards her being The Mad Queen since they decided to have her turn bad I guess. Plays into the whole Targaryen thing I suppose. This whole season has kind of been a letdown. I know she has some insecurity issues but scorching the entire city made no sense. I just can't get with the convenience of everything, like Euron just showing up to where Jaime is and all of that.
She was always like this. Her advisors kept her in check. She finally snapped.

I actually don't mind her turning... think of what has happened, just this season alone.

She rides over with thousands of ships and soldiers, to fight the battle of the undead for the Starks / North. After they win, with a lot of help from her dragons... everyone starts celebrating Jon for riding the dragon. She also knows that Jon is the true heir and he promises not to tell anyone... only to tell Sansa and Arya literally 5 minutes later. She loses Jorah. Then Varys and Tyrion both cross her, she loses her 2nd dragon, she loses Missandei.

I'd probably be burning everything to the ground, too. Who is left that she can even trust?

I actually don't mind her turning... think of what has happened, just this season alone.

She rides over with thousands of ships and soldiers, to fight the battle of the undead for the Starks / North. After they win, with a lot of help from her dragons... everyone starts celebrating Jon for riding the dragon. She also knows that Jon is the true heir and he promises not to tell anyone... only to tell Sansa and Arya literally 5 minutes later. She loses Jorah. Then Varys and Tyrion both cross her, she loses her 2nd dragon, she loses Missandei.

I'd probably be burning everything to the ground, too. Who is left that she can even trust?

Greyworm, that’s probably it.

She was already predisposed towards killing and suffered all the loses you mentioned. She had a psychotic break.

I don't mind her turning either. Just for a character that we've followed for this long, the development of that should've been longer and stronger. She had been a little annoying this season, but then she gets mad that people love Jon and Varys is like "she's mad now" and it was done.

I can't believe I'm now rooting for Sansa. Total BS. She sucks, but she's clearly the most fit to lead out of literally every character that we've seen in the show, dead or alive.

Sansa will have something up her sleeve and will slap the shit out of Daeny.

Bran should warg into Drogon and commit suicide (after torching the Unsullied and Dothraki).

It'd be kinda cool too if Arya sacrifices herself (gets murdered by punk ass Daeny) to get Jon to do what's necessary and kill Daeny. This is unlikely because Jon should already be fully onboard the 'kill this bitch' train, but Arya has to die and it has to be for a reason. Maybe she mercs Drogon?

Yeah, it has sort of been trending towards her being The Mad Queen since they decided to have her turn bad I guess. Plays into the whole Targaryen thing I suppose. This whole season has kind of been a letdown. I know she has some insecurity issues but scorching the entire city made no sense. I just can't get with the convenience of everything, like Euron just showing up to where Jaime is and all of that.

The Euron/Jamie things was very TV trope-y. I was, however, fully satisfied with the big beats of Jamie's character arc. He was hopelessly addicted to Cersei despite his moral compass, his honor (or at least his sense of his own honor), and Brienne's attempts to redeem him. It was very GRRM. And I think a lot of people receded back to their original (and probably true) nature in this episode: Tyrion investing in his family (his talk with Jamie cemented his blind spot to me); Dany embracing her Dracarys instinct; Jamie and Cersei with the "we are the only thing that matters in the world" view; Jon trying to do the right thing even knowing that it could drive Dany mad (sort of a Kingdom of God vibe with the noble gesture that dooms thousands to slaughter); Varys sticking with his "for the realm" nature despite knowing he would be horrifically exposed.

But the mad queen thing was fine but, like a lot of things these last two seasons, a little rushed. She snapped, so the complaints about "that's not logical to go after the entire city" are missing the point entirely. The issue is whether the show properly established that she did snap, and that was certainly rushed. I think it will play a lot better in the books because of POV (helps a lot when trying to show that someone is slipping from reality) and because GRRM is anything but rushed.

Good post. Once I decided to embrace the pace, I found this episode to be very satisfying. She snapped, they laid out why (albeit in a rushed fashion), and we got a pretty gruesome look at some WWII type firebombing and the savageness of men (Jorah: "There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."). It played up on themes that have been in GoT the entire series, and I just wish the execution from some previous episodes had been better.

Some other complaints that I've seen (besides pacing) are the scorpions and the amount of Dothraki, neither of which hold water to me.

Re: the scorpions. Both the shots that hit dragons (Bronn/Drogon and the Rhaegal ones) were surprise shots. I'm fully on the "Dany should have seen Euron's fleet" bandwagon (the oversight was egregious), but that's why Dany was able to so easily take out the scorpions in this episode. She came from angles they could not hit, she was able to adjust her angle faster than they could, and Drogon was not surprised (like with Bronn) or wounded (like Rhaegal), so it makes sense that Drogon would be able to lay waste when fully prepared for the entrenched enemy (and this is pretty consistent with how modern fixed defenses would fare against unchecked air power). I was a bit disappointed that fire breath became explosive breath, though; each breath went off like a bomb rather than a flame thrower.

Also I've seen complaints (here and elsewhere) that there were apparently too many Dothraki, and that's weird. I saw maybe a couple of hundred (and the action scenes were just a few at a time), which is inline with her, what, 20,000 that she took to Winterfell being mostly decimated. Am I missing some formation of thousands? How many was she supposed to have had left (especially after they established last episode that a decent chunk survived)?

Yes, she had violent tendencies, which fall
In line with her family anyway. I just thought they went too far with it. I enjoy things going slow though. The buildup is always better, though the dragon scorching everything was well done. I thought she could have still lost her crap without tainting herself beyond redemption. Seems hard to reconcile anyone supporting her craziness now.

Yes, she had violent tendencies, which fall
In line with her family anyway. I just thought they went too far with it. I enjoy things going slow though. The buildup is always better, though the dragon scorching everything was well done. I thought she could have still lost her crap without tainting herself beyond redemption. Seems hard to reconcile anyone supporting her craziness now.
Supposedly this was how Martin wanted her to end up. She is just like her father who did the same stuff. I don’t think she retains support after this.

Renly imo, with Margery’s brother as his other king and they rule together.

SafeTheseAxisdeer-small.gif

Reactions: bMORE607
ADVERTISEMENT