ADVERTISEMENT

For those craving some college basketball in early August

Well shit then. Let's save the rest of us the trouble of playing/practicing forn7-8 months, and just give UK the title now. Great that Bemax has had some NBA picks. Means they've ha d some good players. Doesn't mean they've had good teams.
Kentucky looked good. Scary good. But it's August brother. Let's see how it goes when rotations aren't as loose. Playing road games. Games against KU, Duke and UNC. IF THEY do that as they didbthis past week, then we can talk.

No one said that, most just said they're excited about their team and some made bets.

Reminds me of when UK rolled Arizona St by about 50 a few years ago, and you guys were all set to mass produce some t-shirts before UCLA slapped them around in Rupp the next game.
Do you have a running diary? Just curious. I don't remember us beating Arizona St by 50 and wanting to make t shirts.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Duke isn’t loaded. They have some top end talent but then there is a clear big drop off. UK and KU fit into the loaded category

Where did I demean UK? AND WHY wouldn't Duke, Kansas or Villanova "beat the shit" out of those teams? I mean you do know Nova has won 2 of the past 3 titles. And will be very good again this year. Kansas is loaded. So is Duke. Tenn returns everyone. I mean it's not like I drew 5 teams from a hat. Seesh. You guys. Hell I've said multiple times UK could be very good. Yet, here once again you guys are whining. Man you guys are so sensitive.

Reactions: Montana81
Duke isn’t loaded. They have some top end talent but then there is a clear big drop off. UK and KU fit into the loaded category

RJ Barrett might be the best player in the country next year. Duke isn't "loaded" in terms of depth, but they have a lot of top end talent. Which is just as important as a ton of depth. You can only play 5 dudes at a time.

Reactions: bignish
We have potentially 3 top 5 draft picks in next year's draft. Extreme talent can overpower experience, it just depends how the pieces fit.

We need more out of Tre Jones than we got from Duval last year.

Where did I demean UK? AND WHY wouldn't Duke, Kansas or Villanova "beat the shit" out of those teams? I mean you do know Nova has won 2 of the past 3 titles. And will be very good again this year. Kansas is loaded. So is Duke. Tenn returns everyone. I mean it's not like I drew 5 teams from a hat. Seesh. You guys. Hell I've said multiple times UK could be very good. Yet, here once again you guys are whining. Man you guys are so sensitive.
Borden, you sure as hell don't know that Duke, Kansas et.al. could beat the shit out of the teams UK beat this week. What basis do you have to rate them? Those were the first four games. Hell we can't even watch Duke games this week on TV because they are not worth some network picking them up.

Tennessee returns everyone, so what? UK returned three starters and that is more talent that UT has on their team. On top of that Tennessee did not do a damned thing last year in the NCAA. So why do you think that they will be better this year?

By the way,when did you become a Tennessee fan? (oh I understand.... they beat UK last year............ now I know....) Hell UK lost in the sweet sixteen and you write Kentucky off, yet Indiana can go to the Sweet Sixteen and they are final four bound the next year.

Geezees what in hell are you drinking?

You just remember what you are posting on this thread come March.

Are you sure it's the UK fans whining? Not you whining about the UK fans? You have to admit, other fans don't get to you like UK fans.

What gets to you the most?
Borden is whining because he fears UK may be better than his Indiana, Duke, Nova or Kansas teams. In Bordens world it is the world against UK. Nothing else matters.

Reactions: C*A*T*S
We have potentially 3 top 5 draft picks in next year's draft. Extreme talent can overpower experience, it just depends how the pieces fit.

Zero chance you have 3 top 5 picks next year. Zion will be closer to the end of the lottery than he will the top 5. He doesn't fit the modern NBA at all. Barrett will be #1 barring someone exploding and Reddish will prob be top 5 though. Jones should be better than Duval, but that isn't saying much. I don't think he'll be close to as good as his brother either though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Nobody knows how loaded anyone is at this point. Hell, Nevada could be as good as anyone. Tennessee could be great. Villanova may not appear to be loaded on paper, but...neither did the teams that dominated the tournament twice in 3 years. The more I look at UNC's team, the more I see potential for greatness. I know very little about Gonzaga's roster, but most seem to rank them in the 2-5 range. Then you have Virginia, who may have a better roster than last year.

There are around 10 teams that could make an argument for being "loaded." I expect this to be one of the best fields in recent memory.

Sh*t, even K-State's sitting there, saying, "We made the elite 8 without our best player and everybody's back!" They might be pretty damn good. Who knows?

Is it a given UK's frosh live up to their hype? Let me guess---Of course they will. I mean they just beat a bunch of Bahama teams asses. Very comparable to Auburn, Tenn, Florida...Or Kansas, UNC, Duke.
Look no doubt the potential is there. None. But I think some of you are getting way to excited over a couple of exhibition games.
If we were to drop any games, it's because we're so young. jumpingsmile

I disagree with that. Barrett, Zion and Reddish can all facilitate from the perimeter. So great point guard play isn’t as vital for Duke this year.

I have questions about Duke but I wouldn’t be worried about point guard play.

Nobody knows how loaded anyone is at this point. Hell, Nevada could be as good as anyone. Tennessee could be great. Villanova may not appear to be loaded on paper, but...neither did the teams that dominated the tournament twice in 3 years. The more I look at UNC's team, the more I see potential for greatness. I know very little about Gonzaga's roster, but most seem to rank them in the 2-5 range. Then you have Virginia, who may have a better roster than last year.

There are around 10 teams that could make an argument for being "loaded." I expect this to be one of the best fields in recent memory.

Sh*t, even K-State's sitting there, saying, "We made the elite 8 without our best player and everybody's back!" They might be pretty damn good. Who knows?

Michigan and MSU could be right up there, too.

RJ Barrett might be the best player in the country next year. Duke isn't "loaded" in terms of depth, but they have a lot of top end talent. Which is just as important as a ton of depth. You can only play 5 dudes at a time.

I dont think RJ Barrett is even the best player on his own team. I think Duke is the third best team in the ACC.

Virginia and UNC are loaded themselves. I have a feeling Nassir Little might be the best overall freshman in the country this year.

Reactions: KYtotheCore

You had more talent on last years squad than you have on this one. Rebounding and the play of Bolden will be key for Duke. This team doesn't scare anyone but you will be good.

Reactions: RipThru
I dont think RJ Barrett is even the best player on his own team. I think Duke is the third best team in the ACC.

Virginia and UNC are loaded themselves. I have a feeling Nassir Little might be the best overall freshman in the country this year.

Who's better than him? And I'm not disagreeing with the second part.

Reactions: KisteK
Hell we can't even watch Duke games this week on TV because they are not worth some network picking them up.

This is just false...the only reason why Uk's games were televised is because the SEC has it's own network affiliated station. The ACC's doesn't launch until next year, otherwise they would be on there.

Louisville went to the Bahamas and beat everyone there......this isn't a big deal. This isn't me being a Uk hater, but to suggest that any of those teams COULDN'T or that we "don't know" if they could beat them even with what we know already about the rosters is just silly.

This is just false...the only reason why Uk's games were televised is because the SEC has it's own network affiliated station. The ACC's doesn't launch until next year, otherwise they would be on there.

Louisville went to the Bahamas and beat everyone there......this isn't a big deal. This isn't me being a Uk hater, but to suggest that any of those teams COULDN'T or that we "don't know" if they could beat them even with what we know already about the rosters is just silly.
I love this angle.

The bolded part is an absolute lie. Hell the UK games have always been on TV long before the the SEC Network. I have DVD's to prove every damned one. The SEC network does not do the exhibition games for all the SEC teams only the UK games because of contracts to get the rights for UK.

Sorry that you can't understand the reality of Kentucky basketball but you try to prove that Duke is on a par with Kentucky and nothing could be farther from the truth.

There is an ACC network. ESPN ACC+ I get it and got it last year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The bolded part is an absolute lie. Hell the UK games have always been on TV long before the the SEC Network. I have DVD's to prove every damned one. The SEC network does not do the exhibition games for all the SEC teams only the UK games because of contracts to get the rights for UK.

Sorry that you can't understand the reality of Kentucky basketball but you try to prove that Duke is on a par with Kentucky and nothing could be farther from the truth.

The SECN is a national network. Do not act like Duke is not on par with Kentucky basketball. That makes your whole post comical. I would place a large bet that the Uk games would not have been on national TV aka that is NOT the same as getting on WatchESPN and streaming it. I'm talking about if the SECN did not have it's own TV channel. Congrats to you. Just because everyone of them has been on TV supposedly as well, doesn't mean they were a national broadcast either.

The SEC network doesn't do exhibition games for all the SEC teams because they know Uk will bring in the most money and around this time of the year, no other SEC team has a large enough basketball program. Hence the contract.

People would watch a Duke scrimmage at this time of the year. If/when the ACC gets it's own national station next year without having to stream it through WatchESPN, I guarantee there will be exhibition game trips on it.

No, it wasn't.

What do you mean it? We're talking back in the day here. Not the games from the other day...we're talking before the SECN. I'd place a bet that scrimmages in August were not nationally broadcasted before the specific conference stations came out.

What do you mean it? We're talking back in the day here. Not the games from the other day...we're talking before the SECN. I'd place a bet that scrimmages in August were not nationally broadcasted before the specific conference stations came out.
Ohhhhh, I see what you mean. Shit, back in the day the blue and white game wasn't even televised.

Reactions: HRTheCard
IIRC and I could be wrong, but wasn't our last trip to the Bahamas on ESPN2? It was the same year SECN came out, but I'm pretty sure it was on 2.

The SECN is a national network. Do not act like Duke is not on par with Kentucky basketball. That makes your whole post comical. I would place a large bet that the Uk games would not have been on national TV aka that is NOT the same as getting on WatchESPN and streaming it. I'm talking about if the SECN did not have it's own TV channel. Congrats to you. Just because everyone of them has been on TV supposedly as well, doesn't mean they were a national broadcast either.

The SEC network doesn't do exhibition games for all the SEC teams because they know Uk will bring in the most money and around this time of the year, no other SEC team has a large enough basketball program. Hence the contract.

People would watch a Duke scrimmage at this time of the year. If/when the ACC gets it's own national station next year without having to stream it through WatchESPN, I guarantee there will be exhibition game trips on it.

HRTheCard, you are a fine person and poster but you are wrong thinking that Duke has the market power of Kentucky basketball.

I will argue with you till the cows come home that Duke's following is not on a par with Kentucky. It never has been and never will be. You also can use snappy little sentences like "Just because every one of them has been on TV supposedly as well, doesn't mean they were a national broadcast either" to question my statements and it will not change the facts. The UK games were not SUPPOSEDLY on, they were on.

For decades nearly all of UK's exhibition games were on TV. When the SEC Network was negotiated they agreed to do the games that the UK Network did. If NBC, CBS or ESPN did not pick up the games the UK network did. I lived in North Carolina, Texas, Maryland, Florida and Kentucky and watched the games. For years I had a big satellite dish just so that I could get the UK games. I now have over 1,400 on video tape, DVD or Blu-ray. It is not a secret how I got those games: they were broadcast on a national basis. As far back as the 1980's many stations around the country picked them up. In 1986 when I lived in Houston an independent station carried nearly all of them. I used my satellite dish for my tapes, but they were available locally.

So, you can brag about next year’s Duke games being on national TV; whereas, I will brag about UK's being available since the 1980's.

But Bert has video evidence that they were available. Hell I have all of Eddie Sutton's Sunday TV shows on Video tape along with some of Joe B. Halls. How did I get them living in Florida, Texas and Maryland?

No. It was on the new SECN.
Thanks. I knew you could just pull out the disc. ;)

The thing I noticed most was not that you had them on disc, and the set up, but the catalog to which you have them easily accessible. That "pamphlet" had to take hours upon hours to create.

I also thought it was sweet your gave your wife a huge(slightly smaller than your), screen right above yours.

Last edited:
I get it through Sling TV. I cut the cable years ago :)
The ACC network is only available thru online devices. The actual station hasn’t been released yet. I get games from the SEC & ACC network thru the watchespn app on my PS4.
While I can’t speak to how big of Brand Dook is. I’ve lived in Ky all my life. I can tell you there’s only a handful of UNC games I’ve missed on TV since the 80s.

Reactions: HRTheCard
On July 21, 2016 at a media event in Charlotte, North Carolina, ESPN announced a 20-year extension of its contract with the ACC, and that it would launch a cable channel dedicated to the ACC in 2019 known as the ACC Network. The announcement was attended by ESPN president John Skipper and ACC commissioner John Swofford. Ahead of the linear channel, ESPN announced that it would begin to stream ACC events beginning in the upcoming 2016 season.[6][7] Following the announcement, Skipper defended the decision to go on with launching a linear ACC channel, arguing that sports were the most valuable property on television because they are "the only thing you have to watch live".[3]

The top two (RJ and Zion) are without question elite and I have no doubt how they will do, Reddish is known to not have that dog and disappear even though he’s e trembly talented. The issues are the drop off after the top guys, lack of depth, defense by the freshmen not named RJ shooting and how that many freshmen have to adjust.

It’s very likely they struggle the same way UK did early last year since they had the same issue of freshmen adjusting

Reactions: KYtotheCore
The top two (RJ and Zion) are without question elite and I have no doubt how they will do, Reddish is known to not have that dog and disappear even though he’s e trembly talented. The issues are the drop off after the top guys, lack of depth, defense by the freshmen not named RJ shooting and how that many freshmen have to adjust.

It’s very likely they struggle the same way UK did early last year since they had the same issue of freshmen adjusting

The Durants, Beasleys, Bagleys, Aytons, John Walls, Anthony Davises, Embiids of the world don't struggle. If they make mistakes, they produce at such an elite level, it more than makes up for the mistakes.

The Duke guys are likely to be closer to that level of player than a Diallo, SGA, Knox or Richards. Give me a break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT