ADVERTISEMENT

Could the ACC get 3 No. 1 seeds?

Quavarius

Aug 12, 2009
I know it was done once with the old Big East back in 2009.

What’s interesting about Duke, UVA and UNC is all 3 rank in the top 10 in offense and defense per KenPom (as of today).

Don't see UNC jumping UK unless they lose twice before the SECT. First two are obviously locks though.

Don't see UNC jumping UK unless they lose twice before the SECT. First two are obviously locks though.
So, are we saying the Zags are a lock? Cause their only win worth a piss is Duke. And Carolina beat Gonzaga.

The only scenario I can see would be Carolina beating Duke to end the season (HIGHLY likely SmokinSmile), then Duke winning the ACCT over UVA? Also, Carolina and UVA win all the other games on their schedule.

UK still a 1. However I don’t think UK would need to lose twice if Carolina has two Duke wins.

Not gonna happen. Unc needs of help. They would have to beat duke and win the acc tournament. Va as long as they don’t lose another game and go deep in the acc tournament will get get a one seed. Duke is the only sure fire number one right now

Looking at my previous post, I would say Duke is more of a lock than I realized. They don’t need the ACCT. However if Carolina beats Duke and wins the ACCT (which also means a share of the regular season title), no way they aren’t a 1. Unlikely to happen, but they’ll be close to a favorite in every one of those games. Sure it’s a long shot, but I think they control their own destiny for a 1-seed. They don’t need help; they just can’t lose.

Cool with me, just give MSU the 2 seed in Virginia’s region. I’m sure they’d love that too.

Better than having Kentucky in Louisville. Hopefully UK just gets a 1 seed. Obviously I’d prefer to avoid MSU but I like our chances better now with a more versatile offense and an elite wing in Hunter.

Not gonna happen. Unc needs of help. They would have to beat duke and win the acc tournament. Va as long as they don’t lose another game and go deep in the acc tournament will get get a one seed. Duke is the only sure fire number one right now

Duke is a sure fire 1 seed if Zion returns and plays like he was. I would bet on that happening, but it's not a done deal yet.

Duke is a sure fire 1 seed if Zion returns and plays like he was. I would bet on that happening, but it's not a done deal yet.
I don’t see Zion sitting out. He’s played too damn hard to just sit out for his own benefit. It was a minor injury. I fully expect him back when cleared.

So, are we saying the Zags are a lock? Cause their only win worth a piss is Duke. And Carolina beat Gonzaga.

The only scenario I can see would be Carolina beating Duke to end the season (HIGHLY likely SmokinSmile), then Duke winning the ACCT over UVA? Also, Carolina and UVA win all the other games on their schedule.

UK still a 1. However I don’t think UK would need to lose twice if Carolina has two Duke wins.

I'm going with the assumption they win out, and then the committee won't drop them a line. Besides someone has to be the one out west. If you guys beat Duke at home that might change the calculus a little, but I think with the resumes being similar overall UK's H2H would give them the edge over UNC.
If I had to guess I'd say Duke is the #1 overall in the East, UVA has the South, UK in the MW with Gonzaga being in the West.

I'm going with the assumption they win out, and then the committee won't drop them a line. Besides someone has to be the one out west. If you guys beat Duke at home that might change the calculus a little, but I think with the resumes being similar overall UK's H2H would give them the edge over UNC.
If I had to guess I'd say Duke is the #1 overall in the East, UVA has the South, UK in the MW with Gonzaga being in the West.

What do you think has to happen for UK to get the South as a 1-seed? Do you think they have a shot at falling to the 2-seed there? Seems like that would be unfair to the 1

The Zags are a lock unfortunately unless they happen to stumble along the way.

Better than having Kentucky in Louisville. Hopefully UK just gets a 1 seed. Obviously I’d prefer to avoid MSU but I like our chances better now with a more versatile offense and an elite wing in Hunter.
Out of all of those options I’d take Virginia simply because of past success in March over them.

What do you think has to happen for UK to get the South as a 1-seed? Do you think they have a shot at falling to the 2-seed there? Seems like that would be unfair to the 1

If you guys lose twice and UK wins out then they might give UK the 1 in the South? Looking at your schedule I just don't see it happening. If they are the #1 2 seed I guess they could give UK the South. Which like you said wouldn't be fair for you guys (if you are the 1 in the South). UK in Louisville for the S16/E8 would be super fun like when they were in Indy a few years back. Would be a madhouse.

If you guys make a run it will be because Hunter is the best player you've had during this span with Bennett.

Reactions: jhmossy
If you guys lose twice and UK wins out then they might give UK the 1 in the South? Looking at your schedule I just don't see it happening. If they are the #1 2 seed I guess they could give UK the South. Which like you said wouldn't be fair for you guys (if you are the 1 in the South). UK in Louisville for the S16/E8 would be super fun like when they were in Indy a few years back. Would be a madhouse.

If UVA is 2 overall and UK is 3 overall, I don’t think putting UVA in Midwest would be that big of a slight. I’m sure we’d prefer Louisville but I think the argument could be made for UK there. I would love to get the East but hard to argue we deserve it over Duke at this point

If UVA is 2 overall and UK is 3 overall, I don’t think putting UVA in Midwest would be that big of a slight. I’m sure we’d prefer Louisville but I think the argument could be made for UK there. I would love to get the East but hard to argue we deserve it over Duke at this point

Agreed but I don't recall UK getting a good bracket since like 2012 when they were the #1 overall team. They will give you guys the South instead. I don't see anyone else getting the East but Duke honestly. 2 of their 3 losses were when they were missing guys. Fair or not they will act like they don't matter.

I LOVE MY UNC TAR HEELS

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

No. I think UK dicked around with them, let them back in the game. We didn't lose because of a last second tip in, we lost by relinquishing a 10 point lead. Frustrating, but not a painful loss. If anything it taught UK what can happen when you cat-n-mouse a team.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
UNC is a 1 seed if they win out the regular season and show well in the acc tourney.

Very real possibility ACC gets 3 top seeds.

I guess its possible but not likely. Zags or Kentucky would have to slip up pretty bad. Duke, UNC, and Virginia would all have to keep winning without beating one another.

UNC has looked very, very good in their wins over Duke and Gonzaga. However, I would note that neither opposing team was playing fully healthy. But I'm not going to lie, they are a very real threat to win it all. I don't think they're in the same tier as say Duke, Virginia, or Kentucky - but they're certainly up there.

One thing that might hold UNC back a little bit from a 1 seed, is their record vs. Quad 1 teams. Even with recent wins over Duke and FSU, it's still not overly impressive. Here is a breakdown of the top 16 teams (top 16 comes from CBS Bracketology) with their Quad 1 and Quad 2 games. UNC is 13th out 16 in terms of highest winning percentage. If they win out, obviously they're a #1 seed, but they still have a bit of work to do.

top16.jpg

Reactions: RipThru
Oh yeah, we haven't even mentioned Houston. If they win out, I honestly think they're deserving of a #1 seed.

Oh yeah, we haven't even mentioned Houston. If they win out, I honestly think they're deserving of a #1 seed.

They have even less of a resume than Gonzaga. Can't reward them when their only good win is LSU who was mediocre at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT