ADVERTISEMENT

Could the ACC get 3 No. 1 seeds?

They have even less of a resume than Gonzaga. Can't reward them when their only good win is LSU who was mediocre at the time.

Only good win? GTFOH. They were down 71-69 against Temple and Corey Davis made a basket with seconds left that would have tied it, but they called a charge. One charge is the only thing separating them from a perfect season. And let's not forget...

4-1 in Quad 1 Games
14-1 in Quad 1/2 Games.
5 wins verse the top 50
#4 in the NCAA Net Rankings
beat Oregon with a healthy Bol Bol

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
UVA was 29-3 in 2015 and they got a 2 seed.

2015 was an unusually loaded with stacked teams. The only other year that would be comparable is 2008. And interesting enough, seven of the eight 1-seeds in 2008/2015 made the Final Four. Typically speaking, a 4-loss team from a power conference would almost always get a 1 seed.

1 seeds:

Kentucky, 34-0
Wisconsin, 31-3
Duke, 29-4 (not a gaudy record, but had 5 road wins against top 20 teams)
Villanova, 32-2
2 seeds:
Arizona, 31-3
Virginia, 29-3
Gonzaga, 32-2

I mean, you had 7 schools that would all be 1 seeds in a typical year.

Here's a saved file I have, which shows the number of average losses by a 1 seed since 2008 (I removed Gonzaga and Wichita State from the averages, as they obviously didn't have similar battle-tested schedules).

2018: 4.50
2017: 4.67
2016: 5.75
2015: 2.25
2014: 4
2013: 5.33
2012: 4
2011: 3.25
2010: 3.25
2009: 4.25
2008: 2.25

UNC has looked very, very good in their wins over Duke and Gonzaga. However, I would note that neither opposing team was playing fully healthy. But I'm not going to lie, they are a very real threat to win it all. I don't think they're in the same tier as say Duke, Virginia, or Kentucky - but they're certainly up there.

One thing that might hold UNC back a little bit from a 1 seed, is their record vs. Quad 1 teams. Even with recent wins over Duke and FSU, it's still not overly impressive. Here is a breakdown of the top 16 teams (top 16 comes from CBS Bracketology) with their Quad 1 and Quad 2 games. UNC is 13th out 16 in terms of highest winning percentage. If they win out, obviously they're a #1 seed, but they still have a bit of work to do.

top16.jpg

Looks like LSU is headed to a #1 seed if they win out and win the conference tournament. No argument for KY or TN over them if that happens.

Looks like LSU is headed to a #1 seed if they win out and win the conference tournament. No argument for KY or TN over them if that happens.

I would say that's very likely. CBS currently has LSU #9 on their S Curve. But yes, add 7 wins and I would think they would be the highest ranked team from the SEC. Their margin for error is a little lower, though, with those 3 OOC losses. But, if they go 29-5 to close the season, I don't see why they couldn't be a #1 seed.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Possible, but not likely. Only 1 way it happens...

Virginia: Wins out regular season, make it to ACC championship game and loses.

Duke / UNC: Wins out regular season until their last game match up. Loser of match up wins ACC tournament.

Possible, but not extremely likely. LSU would most likely have to win out. Currently, they're #9 on CBS's S Curve. If they win 7 more games, they would almost certainly pass Kentucky and Tennessee (SEC Reg Season Champs/ Conf. Tournament Champs).... and they'd very likely pass Michigan and Michigan State, too (I think both teams lose at least 1 more). The 1 seeds in this hypothetical would be 2 ACC Teams, SEC Champ, and Gonzaga. UNC is the most likely ACC team to fall behind LSU, but I think they would have to lose more than once (Duke+ ACC Tournament, perhaps, so that's possible).

Reactions: shun1
don't see who MSU loses to in their last regular season games,

LSU is more of a long shot but they are playing very well. at this time of the year anybody close to the top 10 can get hot and move up.

gotta have a wild card this time of year and LSU is mine.

ADVERTISEMENT