ADVERTISEMENT

BIGXII V SEC thread

Last to touch---first to touch. Even though the ball was loose, UK still had team control, since TT never gained possession. So once the ball was batted into the backcourt by UK(last to touch), then recovered by UK(first to touch), its over and back.

Correct call.
not 100% sure but i think Richards was in the air when he grabbed the ball and threw it back in
would that not be the same as a guy jumping in the air while going out of bounds and throwing the ball back in
that is not called out of bounds

I’m convinced you win by 10-12 with any other guard with a pulse.
And what sucks is, Maxey is a first round draft pick somehow. He's had 2 or 3 good games, the rest of the time he has played hero ball and did more to hurt UK than help, but he's going to go pro after this year and UK will be young again next year. It's a never ending cycle.

With the dudes we have coming in next year, we could be an epic team, but that won't happen, because none of our existing starters will return.

I really hate the one and done era.

Reactions: toonces11
Last to touch---first to touch. Even though the ball was loose, UK still had team control, since TT never gained possession. So once the ball was batted into the backcourt by UK(last to touch), then recovered by UK(first to touch), its over and back.

Correct call.
Even if it's assumed that Hagans had possession when he passed to Sestina, team control ends when a defensive player deflects the ball. Both teams were swatting that ball around all over the place. Wrong call.

not 100% sure but i think Richards was in the air when he grabbed the ball and threw it back in
would that not be the same as a guy jumping in the air while going out of bounds and throwing the ball back in
They never showed a side view that showed where the ball was when he grabbed it, but I thought he got to it before it crossed the line.

They never showed a side view that showed where the ball was when he grabbed it, but I thought he got to it before it crossed the line.
Doesn't matter, neither team had control of the ball. Was the wrong call either way. I very highly doubt the call even gets made if Richards doesn't do what he did there, making refs think it was a back court violation.

Reactions: toonces11
Doesn't matter, neither team had control of the ball. Was the wrong call either way. I very highly doubt the call even gets made if Richards doesn't do what he did there, making refs think it was a back court violation.
I'd still take these refs any day over what we typically get. I'm fine with a couple of missed calls, but SEC officiating takes it to a level that it should never be at.
I could have done without the flopping that I saw the refs calling fouls on, but this was still ten thousand times better than what we normally see.

I'd still take these refs any day over what we typically get. I'm fine with a couple of missed calls, but SEC officiating takes it to a level that it should never be at.
I could have done without the flopping that I saw the refs calling fouls on, but this was still ten thousand times better than what we normally see.
Yeah, same here.

Even if it's assumed that Hagans had possession when he passed to Sestina, team control ends when a defensive player deflects the ball. Both teams were swatting that ball around all over the place. Wrong call.
False. Player control ends. Not team control. It was 100% the right call.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
He was in the air. That doesn't matter. Its where he leaves the floor. He was in the b/c, caught the ball while in the air. He's considered to have b/c status.

This is the NBA definition. I am guessing it's the same in college.

Section XVI—Team Control

A team is in control when a player is holding, dribbling or passing the ball. Team
control ends when the defensive team deflects the ball or there is a field goal attempt.

Section XVI—Team Control

A team is in control when a player is holding, dribbling or passing the ball. Team
control ends when the defensive team deflects the ball or there is a field goal attempt.
i-told-you-i-could-do-the-helicopter-gifsoup-because-meme-centers-is-in-construction_o_288769.gif

Section XVI—Team Control

Its not.

A team shall be in control when: a. A player of the team is in control; b. A live ball is being passed between teammates including when the pass is muffed by the receiving teammate; c. A player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in; or d. During an interrupted dribble. (See Rule 4-15.2.a.3 and Rule 4-24.)
Art. 3. Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead. (See Rule 4-24.) Art. 4. There shall be no team control during: a. A jump ball; b. The tapping of a rebound (unless it is a try for goal); c. A try for goal after the ball is in flight;

I do not know why you guys wanna argue with me...I've officiated the game for a long time. I do not get very call right. But---I know the rules.

Its not.

A team shall be in control when: a. A player of the team is in control; b. A live ball is being passed between teammates including when the pass is muffed by the receiving teammate; c. A player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in; or d. During an interrupted dribble. (See Rule 4-15.2.a.3 and Rule 4-24.)
Art. 3. Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead. (See Rule 4-24.) Art. 4. There shall be no team control during: a. A jump ball; b. The tapping of a rebound (unless it is a try for goal); c. A try for goal after the ball is in flight;

I do not know why you guys wanna argue with me...I've officiated the game for a long time. I do not get very call right. But---I know the rules.
A muffed pass says nothing about an opponent touching it. You highlighting the opponent securing the ball just says when possession changes. In other words, without those things happening, the ball is not in control by either team.

A muffed pass says nothing about an opponent touching it. You highlighting the opponent securing the ball just says when possession changes. In other words, without those things happening, the ball is not in control by either team.
How much are you willing to wager that I'm wrong?

Did you not read Article 3? Would you like for me to post this exact play from the NCAA Case book? I'd be happy to.

NCAA rules are gay if, according to them, a team is always in control unless there is a dead ball.
Gay or not, that is the rule. And no, a team is not always in control, unless there is a dead ball.

Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead.

The call was correct. 99%, maybe more, of the common fan, just isn't aware of these type of rules. It was the right call.

Not trying to be an ass Kevin. Just trying to educate.

BTW---The charge late on Quickley? That was bad. So was the illegal screen on Sestina.

Gay or not, that is the rule. And no, a team is not always in control, unless there is a dead ball.

Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead.

The call was correct. 99%, maybe more, of the common fan, just isn't aware of these type of rules. It was the right call.

Not trying to be an ass Kevin. Just trying to educate.

BTW---The charge late on Quickley? That was bad. So was the illegal screen on Sestina.
Yeah, I get it now after reading through the rules. Thanks for clarification. I shall owe you a beer! I just can't believe they say, "d. The period that follows any of these acts (a-c) while the ball is being batted (from the vicinity of other players) in an attempt to secure control; or e. A dead ball." So there is no control when the ball is being batted around during a jump ball, rebound, or a try for a goal while the ball is in flight but yet when the same thing is going on after a deflection they still consider it to be team control. That baffles me. The NCAA needs to get it together! You should petition to get that changed! Winking I didn't so much mind the charge call on Quickley, but I thought the bucket should have been good since it occurred before the charge. They have to be smarter though, TT was trying to draw charges all game. You have to realize that when you drive to the bucket they will be sliding in front every time. Quickley and Maxey get out of control quite a bit and can be easy to draw charges on.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, I get it now after reading through the rules. Thanks for clarification. I shall owe you a beer! I just can't believe they say, "d. The period that follows any of these acts (a-c) while the ball is being batted (from the vicinity of other players) in an attempt to secure control; or e. A dead ball." So there is no control when the ball is being batted around during a jump ball, rebound, or a try for a goal while the ball is in flight but yet when the same thing is going on after a deflection they still consider it to be team control. That baffles me. The NCAA needs to get it together! You should petition to get that changed! Winking I didn't so much mind the charge call on Quickley, but I thought the bucket should have been good since it occurred before the charge. They have to be smarter though, TT was trying to draw charges all game. You have to realize that when you drive to the bucket they will be sliding in front every time. Quickley and Maxey get out of control quite a bit and can be easy to draw charges on.
I don't try to understand....I just try and enforce what the **** those goofs throw out there. It gets annoying.

I hated the charge on Quickley b/c I didn't think the contact impacted the play. Also, rule was changed a while back. Player controlled foul, i.e. a charge, there is no basket. Regardless of when the contact occurs:

. When a player in control of the ball or an airborne shooter commits a foul before or after a goal, the goal shall be cancelled.

Very good win thoug for the Cats.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
If there's one certainty in life, it's that college block/charge is hot garbage. Going from watching NBA to college officiating, especially on block/charge, is like going from 4k TV to SD.
NBA officiating is ****ing terrible. I've seen contact not called, that in most states, would be considered felony assault. Maybe 2-3 travels called----A week? Screening? I mean, bro---I;ve seen the screener come up, grab the defender, wrap him up, etc....And that's legal? NBA officiating is trash.

Why does 44 for tech consistently beat his man and refuse to score.

Because Clarke wants to pass the ball more than he wants to shoot. We don't have a guy that attacks like Evans two years ago or Culver a year ago. Ramsay isn't there yet.

Hats of to Texas Tech that was a hell of a game. I’ll also say that EVERY college basketball arena/atmosphere should be like the one UK and Tech just played in. That was crazy! Rupp, Dean Dome, Duke and Kansas should all take notes! That place was ridiculous today!!

Thanks!

Good game UK. We are small team and had no good answer for Richards.

Reactions: JC for 3
I don't try to understand....I just try and enforce what the **** those goofs throw out there. It gets annoying.

I hated the charge on Quickley b/c I didn't think the contact impacted the play. Also, rule was changed a while back. Player controlled foul, i.e. a charge, there is no basket. Regardless of when the contact occurs:

. When a player in control of the ball or an airborne shooter commits a foul before or after a goal, the goal shall be cancelled.

Very good win thoug for the Cats.
Well damnit, I can't keep up with the ever-changing rules! I just wish there was some consistency across the board. Seems they decide to key in on specific things every season, which shouldn't be the case. I also wish they would enforce flopping with a class B tech. I rarely, if ever, have seen it happen this season. They also need to do away with the "team warning" before issuing a tech for it. It's in the rule book, they are aware, no need for a warning.

Well damnit, I can't keep up with the ever-changing rules! I just wish there was some consistency across the board. Seems they decide to key in on specific things every season, which shouldn't be the case. I also wish they would enforce flopping with a class B tech. I rarely, if ever, have seen it happen this season. They also need to do away with the "team warning" before issuing a tech for it. It's in the rule book, they are aware, no need for a warning.
In your defense.....in the spirit of fair competition and the point of the rule, that’s not over and back. UK gained zero advantage. To me it was a free ball.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I've never agreed more with a post. IMO, and I have said this before, it makes an alraedy hard job(officiating), that much harder. To many rule changes, that are left to open for interpretation. It makes for an inconsistent product, and IMO its why CBB officiating is all over the place.

I like the delay of game warning. It gives me an option on that one occasion where a technical really isn't needed. I give a warning, it usually doesn't happen again.

I have zero idea how to control the flop. I mean, you have a 6'8", 240 dude, hit a 5'10", 180 dude---and he may or may not be a dude who can absorb such contact. So, well, no flop is called b/c? Well, dude weighs 80 more pounds. BUT, on the flip side, same dudes, yet kid goes flying. Well, I mean he just got hit by a dude that weighs 70 more pounds, BUT...maybe he's a dude that CANT absorb that type of contact?

I mean, its a tougher call that what some think. For me? I look for two things---Distance and speed. That to me is a very good indicator of how hard you just hit someone.

I've never agreed more with a post. IMO, and I have said this before, it makes an alraedy hard job(officiating), that much harder. To many rule changes, that are left to open for interpretation. It makes for an inconsistent product, and IMO its why CBB officiating is all over the place.

I like the delay of game warning. It gives me an option on that one occasion where a technical really isn't needed. I give a warning, it usually doesn't happen again.

I have zero idea how to control the flop. I mean, you have a 6'8", 240 dude, hit a 5'10", 180 dude---and he may or may not be a dude who can absorb such contact. So, well, no flop is called b/c? Well, dude weighs 80 more pounds. BUT, on the flip side, same dudes, yet kid goes flying. Well, I mean he just got hit by a dude that weighs 70 more pounds, BUT...maybe he's a dude that CANT absorb that type of contact?

I mean, its a tougher call that what some think. For me? I look for two things---Distance and speed. That to me is a very good indicator of how hard you just hit someone.
Yep, the rules must be black and white. You can't leave room for discretion because it will never be consistent. I understand for some circumstances that's just not possible, but for the most part it is. Regarding flops I am basically referring to the blatant stuff where guys are just hurling themselves to the floor, often times with no contact at all. Take the famous Greg Paulus phantom charge, for example. Automatic tech and if it happens again, you're out. I get the non-calls on what you are talking about. It's too hard to determine many times if it's a flop or not without going to the monitor, and that would make games way too long if they were doing that every 5 minutes.

Yep, the rules must be black and white. You can't leave room for discretion because it will never be consistent. I understand for some circumstances that's just not possible, but for the most part it is. Regarding flops I am basically referring to the blatant stuff where guys are just hurling themselves to the floor, often times with no contact at all. Take the famous Greg Paulus phantom charge, for example. Automatic tech and if it happens again, you're out. I get the non-calls on what you are talking about. It's too hard to determine many times if it's a flop or not without going to the monitor, and that would make games way too long if they were doing that every 5 minutes.
The canned laugh track is great in that video.

Yeah the Paulus situation is asinine. That doesn't belong in CBB, and you said, should be net with serious penalty, ie. a tech, then an ejection.

Holy shit lol, that could be one of the worst flops in history!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT