ADVERTISEMENT

BIGXII V SEC thread

Yep, the rules must be black and white. You can't leave room for discretion because it will never be consistent. I understand for some circumstances that's just not possible, but for the most part it is. Regarding flops I am basically referring to the blatant stuff where guys are just hurling themselves to the floor, often times with no contact at all. Take the famous Greg Paulus phantom charge, for example. Automatic tech and if it happens again, you're out. I get the non-calls on what you are talking about. It's too hard to determine many times if it's a flop or not without going to the monitor, and that would make games way too long if they were doing that every 5 minutes.
Lets just say Paulus was THE GOAT that day… .er… .a different GOAT.

Watch "Best of Fainting Goats | EpicVirals | [HD]" on YouTube

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
And what sucks is, Maxey is a first round draft pick somehow. He's had 2 or 3 good games, the rest of the time he has played hero ball and did more to hurt UK than help, but he's going to go pro after this year and UK will be young again next year. It's a never ending cycle.

With the dudes we have coming in next year, we could be an epic team, but that won't happen, because none of our existing starters will return.

I really hate the one and done era.

It’s a double edged sword though, if the players that are expected to leave weren’t expected to leave its possible UK wouldn’t have as good of a class coming in bc most of these 5 Star burger boys wanna go somewhere where playing time won’t be an issue, and most assume they will step right into a starting role as freshmen. For example had Herro made it clear he wasn’t going pro last year, Maxey may have chosen another school. And not all highly rated recruits are like that, but some are, a la Whitney.

Whitney and Green are two very recent examples of highly rated guys who transferred out bc they weren’t getting the PT they thought they should be getting, (bc they were outperformed by the other players on the team that played their position) and when ur bringing in a new crop of studs every season, they might start to think they may not ever get the PT they wanted. Now I’m not saying either deserved more playing time with what they showed while at UK, but In their eyes and the eyes of their families/camp, which are obv biased, they might think they deserve more PT and ended up transferring bc of it.

Last edited:
It’s a double edged sword though, if the players that are expected to leave weren’t expected to leave its possible UK wouldn’t have as good of a class coming in bc most of these 5 Star burger boys wanna go somewhere where playing time won’t be an issue, and most assume they will step right into a starting role as freshmen. For example had Herro made it clear he wasn’t going pro last year, Maxey may have chosen another school. And not all highly rated recruits are like that, but some are, a la Whitney.

Whitney and Green are two very recent examples of highly rated guys who transferred out bc they weren’t getting the PT they thought they should be getting, (bc they were outperformed by the other players on the team that played their position) and when ur bringing in a new crop of studs every season, they might start to think they may not ever get the PT they wanted. Now I’m not saying either deserved more playing time with what they showed while at UK, but In their eyes and the eyes of their families/camp, which are obv biased, they might think they deserve more PT and ended up transferring bc of it.
If we didn't have so many underclassman departures every year, we wouldn't NEED to bring in five more top end recruits every year.

This thing only works if you're getting the best of the best talent every year (Wall, Davis, Zion, Townes, RJ Barrett etc… ), but the ladt 4 years, Cal has not been getting those guys, he's been bringing in guys with good measurables and elite athletesism, but raw as hell. They got that 20th ranking because they have"potential".
Heck, we can't even hang on to 4 star guys (Shai Alexander and Herro).
If UK hung on to their players, Cal would be killing it, but we lose guys every year to the NBA that really didn't do all that much in college, because they have potential.
Meanwhile, schools like Seton Hall get to keep guys like Myles Powell for 4 years. Every year we get taken out by a team full of veteran players, because freshmen shit their pants when the stage gets that bright.
I would love it if the one and done rule went away and we could retain these kids and get to see them grow like Richards has.

That’s what i meant by its a double edged sword. It’s great when u have so many super talented players, but u can’t expect them to stay long. But with the ones that stay longer, like richards, u can’t expect them to be great from day 1, bc if they were/are they’d be out the door after their freshmen year like the ones that are great from day 1.

And I too will be very glad to see the one and done end and we haven’t ever even had one, just get tired of the media drooling over freshman who would already be in the nba if not for the rule, year after year after year.

And I completely agree that the one and done model only works if your getting the absolute best of the best, but even then it doesn’t always work out ( duke last year), but then again you don’t get the guys but for one year. I think Duke 2015 and UK 2012 are the only frosh dominated teams to cut down the nets in the one and done era, and both had veterans that were pretty big contributors too. But yea let the kids who don’t want or need to play the college game go pro and it will hopefully allow teams to keep some continuity within their programs. But still eliminating the mandatory one year of college isn’t gonna stop kids from leaving after their freshmen year, it’s just gonna keep the other worldly talented kids from having to be a “student athlete” when they are already good enough to be earning an NBA paycheck.

Last edited:
That’s what i meant by its a double edged sword. It’s great when u have so many super talented players, but u can’t expect them to stay long. But with the ones that stay longer, like richards, u can’t expect them to be great from day 1, bc if they were/are they’d be out the door after their freshmen year like the ones that are great from day 1.

And I too will be very glad to see the one and done end and we haven’t ever even had one, just get tired of the media drooling over freshman who would already be in the nba if not for the rule, year after year after year.

And I completely agree that the one and done model only works if your getting the absolute best of the best, but even then it doesn’t always work out ( duke last year), but then again you don’t get the guys but for one year. I think Duke 2015 and UK 2012 are the only frosh dominated teams to cut down the nets in the one and done era, and both had veterans that were pretty big contributors too. But yea let the kids who don’t want or need to play the college game go pro and it will hopefully allow teams to keep some continuity within their programs. But still eliminating the mandatory one year of college isn’t gonna stop kids from leaving after their freshmen year, it’s just gonna keep the other worldly talented kids from having to be a “student athlete” when they are already good enough to be earning an NBA paycheck.
I'm not as down on the guys that leave early that are guaranteed first round draft picks that actually have a future in the NBA.

Here is a lost of guys that bailed early and either didn't make an NBA roster, or made it to the NBA for just enough time to grab a sip of coffee. Now, keep in mind, if Teague and Lamb return off the 2012 team, UK doesn’t go to the NIT in 2013. These guys that leave early with no guarantees, are the ones that left UK high and dry:
Daniel Orton (2010 big man)
Marcus Teague (2012 pg)
Doron Lamb (2012 sg)
Archie Goodwin (2013 SG)
James Young (2014 SF)
Aaron Harrison (2015 SG)
Andrew Harrison (2015 PG)
Dakari Johnson (2015 C) really needed him in 2016
Isaiah Briscoe (2017 SG)
Hamidou Diallo (2018 SG) he's in the NBA now
Wenyen Gabriel (2018 PF)
Isaac Humphries (2017 C/PF)
Tai Wynyard (2018 C)
Jared Vanderbilt (2018 PF)
Keldon Johnson (2019 SF) would have gone lottery in this draft

Can you imagine the difference Keldon Johnson would have made on this years team? We really needed a big man on that 2016 team with Ulis and Murray, but Dakari Johnson jumped ship and went nowhere.

That's a hell of a list. Name me another school that can sustain losing those guys in addition to the guys like Fox, Monk, Washington, Shai, Herro, Wall, Cousins, Townes etc… that definitely had to go.

I am amazed we aren't in the NIT every year with how young we always are.

Got some dudes coming in next year, but if we don't return some guys off this team, we're going to struggle again.

It's a pickle for sure. You want talent, but talent doesn't hang around long at UK in this sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT