ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball officials- GITT and accept your shame

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
Yes, this is an old video from 1981 and yes these are high school teams playing in their state tournament (and yes you should skip ahead about 5 minutes because it's grainy and lacking audio)..............:confused:

But watch, especially, how the first game is officiated and then feel your shame for having allowed the game of basketball to get to the point of what Izzo's Spartan teams get away with and what Bo Ryan's Wisconsin teams got away with, and that's just in the Big Ten.

There are near-literal examples in this video of defenders getting called for a foul because he probably farted in the general direction of the opponent.

That's how different the game was back then.

Not this arm bar riding and hip check riding bullsh** that so many of the blue bloods have made a living off of in this era.

And no.......you do not have to watch the whole thing. (just the first game because one of them is my alma mater Winking)

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
The game has changed....I do not know why this is so hard to understand for fans. It is faster.....more physical. Players are more advanced. I mean for christ sake---How many 6'7" PG's did you see in 1981----In HS? How many 6'9" guys did you see doing what they do today-----In 1981? The biggest difference in todays game, is the players. The speed is unreal. Until you have been on the floor of a D1 game...you just have no idea how fast it is. Then there is the athletic abilities....Look at some the title winning teams of the 80's---Not really that impressive from an athleticism standpoint. Sure there were some outliers; 86 Louisville comes to mind. As well as UL in 1980. But that was how Crum recruited. But even then, there was a few on the team....Not a whole roster full. In todays game, the 8th, 9th and 10th dude on the team,would have been the most athletic dude on a ton of teams from the 80's. Just look at some of those teams-----1981 IU....1987 IU....85 Villanova...NC State. Hell even Georgetown in 84 wasn't crazy athletic---They just dump trucked your ass. In other words, the game in the 80's was more of a fundamental game. Today, not so much.

Plus, the game isn't really called all that different....Not as much as some of you think. It's just today you, the fan, have more access to calls. Instant replay. Man if instant replay was available then, as it is today? Shit. Plus, when there is a bad call----its harped on and harped on, and harped on. I mean when is the last time you have ever seen a good call---Not a normal call---but just a really good call, get any attention? You haven't. Know why? It ain't sexy.

Another aspect, is well, ignorance. I do not mean this in a mean way. BUT....a huge portion of fans just don't understand HOW the rules are applied....THe intent of the rue. The spirit of the rule. Contact----its the hardest thing for a fan to understand. I hear this so much----"They let all that contact go underneath, but a simply bump on the perimeter is a foul". Well, yeah. The contact is different. Not to mention, the available space is different. Well, therefore you call the contact different. Not all contact is a foul. I've said this over and over and over. As an official, you have to determine what the contact has created---And must do so in a split second. We don't have the luxury of an HD TV, with 10 different angles, and speeds.

The officiating in today's game needs some help. Zero argument on that. But for those of you who this official, or that official, would love those dudes if conference's started hiring guys who just are not ready for that level of asketball.

Refs suck, they havent gotten worse. Just more corrupt
Please tell me that it's very possible the refs cost NC State at least 30 points in that game on Saturday. Even if it's not true, just say it. I think even UNC fans feel sorry for NC State after that scoring output.

The game has changed....I do not know why this is so hard to understand for fans. It is faster.....more physical. Players are more advanced. I mean for christ sake---How many 6'7" PG's did you see in 1981----In HS? How many 6'9" guys did you see doing what they do today-----In 1981? The biggest difference in todays game, is the players. The speed is unreal. Until you have been on the floor of a D1 game...you just have no idea how fast it is. Then there is the athletic abilities....Look at some the title winning teams of the 80's---Not really that impressive from an athleticism standpoint. Sure there were some outliers; 86 Louisville comes to mind. As well as UL in 1980. But that was how Crum recruited. But even then, there was a few on the team....Not a whole roster full. In todays game, the 8th, 9th and 10th dude on the team,would have been the most athletic dude on a ton of teams from the 80's. Just look at some of those teams-----1981 IU....1987 IU....85 Villanova...NC State. Hell even Georgetown in 84 wasn't crazy athletic---They just dump trucked your ass. In other words, the game in the 80's was more of a fundamental game. Today, not so much.

Plus, the game isn't really called all that different....Not as much as some of you think. It's just today you, the fan, have more access to calls. Instant replay. Man if instant replay was available then, as it is today? Shit. Plus, when there is a bad call----its harped on and harped on, and harped on. I mean when is the last time you have ever seen a good call---Not a normal call---but just a really good call, get any attention? You haven't. Know why? It ain't sexy.

Another aspect, is well, ignorance. I do not mean this in a mean way. BUT....a huge portion of fans just don't understand HOW the rules are applied....THe intent of the rue. The spirit of the rule. Contact----its the hardest thing for a fan to understand. I hear this so much----"They let all that contact go underneath, but a simply bump on the perimeter is a foul". Well, yeah. The contact is different. Not to mention, the available space is different. Well, therefore you call the contact different. Not all contact is a foul. I've said this over and over and over. As an official, you have to determine what the contact has created---And must do so in a split second. We don't have the luxury of an HD TV, with 10 different angles, and speeds.

The officiating in today's game needs some help. Zero argument on that. But for those of you who this official, or that official, would love those dudes if conference's started hiring guys who just are not ready for that level of asketball.

I wish more people actually listened to refs and didn't just go off the deep end bitching about something that, in reality, they know little about and have zero experience with.

Please tell me that it's very possible the refs cost NC State at least 30 points in that game on Saturday. Even if it's not true, just say it. I think even UNC fans feel sorry for NC State after that scoring output.
I wish I could blame the refs on that garbage. I’m not sure I even want to be a basketball fan anymore. I might just be a soccer fan from here on out

I wish I could blame the refs on that garbage. I’m not sure I even want to be a basketball fan anymore. I might just be a soccer fan from here on out
Do you have guys that can dunk at least?

Picture the lack of scoring ability you guys had on Saturday.......and then stretch that over a 3 year span...........and none of your players can dunk the basketball.

That was Iowa under Todd Lickliter. And Big Ten coaches were sad to see him go.....wonder why?

Refs have to work as well oiled teams. What they do is as much teamwork as any basketball player. And I mean that.

Do you have guys that can dunk at least?

Picture the lack of scoring ability you guys had on Saturday.......and then stretch that over a 3 year span...........and none of your players can dunk the basketball.

That was Iowa under Todd Lickliter. And Big Ten coaches were sad to see him go.....wonder why?

Should have been given a lifetime contract.

Refs have to work as well oiled teams. What they do is as much teamwork as any basketball player. And I mean that.
Well said....I'd like to see the NCAA go to a "crew" type of format for officials. The longer guys work together, the better the crew is. In HS, I work basically 95% of my games with the same 4/5 officials. Not ven close to that in college...maybe 50%---At best. IMO, it would the game. I think the consistency would improve. But that will never happen. Officials would not want this, as it would impact their freedoms as an official. And to an extent, I agree----and get that. But you are spot on.

UNC really got a very good whistle that game. It wasn't enough to blame the game on it of course but State got the short end of several calls IMO.

Reactions: kyjeff1
My biggest problem with officials is their lack of transparency. Never forced to explain calls/non calls, just leave it to the media to ask these questions about officiating to the coaches who are limited in what they can say. I think the R should be made available after every game to answer questions for a period of time.

I do not think officials should be allowed to speak to the media. I think that would be an epic disaster.

DeWitt was just a 10 times better team.

Go Sabers!!!
a 10 times better you say.........

Maybe more efficient. Don't know about DeWitt Central, but the other team in the first game had a player go on to Iowa State, and he played with an injury in that game.

They also were very erratic in their shot selection trying to battle back, which they did, cutting it down to a 2 pt game after trailing by what 16-18 pts with no 3-pt shot. It honestly reminded me of that same school when they won the championship in 2000. They trailed by 15+ in the 4th qtr and rallied to win the title.
This 1981 team just couldn't quite finish the job. I think if they had the 3 pt line back then it would've been a different story. DeWitt didn't seem like a team with capable outside shooters.

But as I mentioned, I bet looking back the losing team was probably kicking themselves for their shot selection at times throughout that game. A little more patience might've yielded better looks.

ADVERTISEMENT