ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk conference realignment and college hoops…

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
Let’s say the ACC’s Grant of Rights agreement is able to be broken before 2036 and the Big Ten/SEC expand beyond 16 teams, eventually getting to 20-24 and perhaps splitting off from the NCAA altogether.

Obviously there’s going to be several big-time college basketball programs (Duke*, Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse) that are left in the cold, but what about the non-FBS schools such as Georgetown, Gonzaga, and Villanova? Heck, what about UConn? If the B1G/SEC split off from the rest of the pack, is NCAA D1 basketball still considered the top level of college basketball? Are these programs still considered to be major programs, or do they struggle in a similar fashion that UConn did in the American? Even if the NCAA remains intact, can these schools still compete with those in the “Power 2?”

I think a lot of people only view conference realignment through the lens of football and forget that it has major ramifications on other sports, such as men’s basketball. Interested to hear what this board has to say.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
tenor.gif

My position is that those schools like Georgetown, Gonzaga, Villanova and UConn do not qualify for Division I.

I graduated high school in rural Kentucky in 1964. At that time there were about 100 "Division I" schools in the NCAA. Many schools now, over 300, are in no way Division I. If you don't play big time football you should not be allowed to play big time basketball. These "fake" schools should make their own conference. They are the "little" league.

I can't wait until the real conferences create about 5 real leagues and kiss the NCAA cheats good bye.

I doubt the B1G/SEC, or even the top 4 or whatever conferences split off. In football the coaches want a few gimme games a year, and the fans want to make bowl games. There’s no self correction like the draft in pro sports, so like 1/4 of the programs in those leagues would just never reach .500 if there were no buy games. So those schools will not vote for such actions, along with the hefty middle of the pack. And Nick Saban, based on the SEC scheduling stuff.

And then basketball, you’re literally playing with making the sport irrelevant if you change it. The bracket and the mid majors are part of what make the NCAAT the second biggest sports gambling event of the year behind the Super Bowl, and make things like office pools among non-sports fans normal. If the top conferences break off that’s done and they’ll be killing their own marketability.

So anyways, I pretty much expect the SEC and B1G (and Big 12) to expand and make more money. I would be absolutely shocked if they break off (especially with NIL and how neutered the NCAA is now).

Alabama reminds me of the 3-year-old we have over and just pisses on everything. Wants my attention for some reason.

Is this true? I thought they were a stronger program than this
The SEC rolls in the money. The ACC is a distant third. I think that you fully understand that. Kentucky has a good athletic program top to bottom; however, collectively the SEC football is without an equal in the U.S.

Plus Kentucky is one of the original SEC teams, why jack around with your teams history?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The SEC rolls in the money. The ACC is a distant third. I think that you fully understand that. Kentucky has a good athletic program top to bottom; however, collectively the SEC football is without an equal in the U.S.

Plus Kentucky is one of the original SEC teams, why jack around with your teams history?
I understand that, I’m just surprised that Kentucky can’t survive without SEC money while many others can

I understand that, I’m just surprised that Kentucky can’t survive without SEC money while many others can
Who are they Wojo? What SEC team is trying to get out of the fvcking SEC? Please let me know what SEC team is trying to GET OUT OF THE SEC?

Is Alabama football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Arkansas football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Louisiana State football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Tennessee/basketball football trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Florida football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Mississippi football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Georgia football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is South Carolina football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Texas A&M football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.

I am tired of typing. No SEC school is trying to get out of the SEC, period!

Kentucky makes more money in the SEC than Duke or UNC in the ACC. Prove me wrong. I bet that UK makes more money in the SEC than either Duke or UNC make in the ACC.

As I have said many, many times on this board, all of Kentucky Basketball and football games have been telecast on nationwide TV since the early 1980's, I know because I recorded all of them and I lived in many areas of this country. Long before the Big Ten network we had the UK network and several others. Long before the ACC Network we had the UK network and the SEC Network. To make this short, since the 1970's if UK played you could watch them on TV no matter in what part of the U.S. you lived.

Kentucky football makes more money than Duke and UNC combined. Do you want to address that?

Kentucky can survive outside the SEC, but why would they want to go to a wimp conference like the ACC? In the ACC they would cut their revenue in half, or possibly even worse, and play a bunch of pussy teams; why do that when they could get to play Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Vandy, South Carolina and soon Texas & Oklahoma?

The Southeastern Conference (SEC) has collected 30 titles since 1936, the most championships won by a single conference. That was when the sports writers got to vote who the best team was because all of them were based outside the South. They gave Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Penn State or Michigan all the glory even though it was never WON ON THE FIELD!

15 of the 25 "won on the field" titles are owned by the SEC.

Where is the B1G? 2
Where is the Big 12 (or what ever)? 2
Where is the ACC? 5
Where is the Pac 12? 1

Where is the SEC? 15

So that is my position for Kentucky staying in the SEC!

Reactions: winin11
Who are they Wojo? What SEC team is trying to get out of the fvcking SEC? Please let me know what SEC team is trying to GET OUT OF THE SEC?

Is Alabama football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Arkansas football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Louisiana State football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Tennessee/basketball football trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Florida football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Mississippi football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Georgia football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is South Carolina football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.
Is Texas A&M football/basketball trying to get out of the SEC? No.

I am tired of typing. No SEC school is trying to get out of the SEC, period!

Kentucky makes more money in the SEC than Duke or UNC in the ACC. Prove me wrong. I bet that UK makes more money in the SEC than either Duke or UNC make in the ACC.

As I have said many, many times on this board, all of Kentucky Basketball and football games have been telecast on nationwide TV since the early 1980's, I know because I recorded all of them and I lived in many areas of this country. Long before the Big Ten network we had the UK network and several others. Long before the ACC Network we had the UK network and the SEC Network. To make this short, since the 1970's if UK played you could watch them on TV no matter in what part of the U.S. you lived.

Kentucky football makes more money than Duke and UNC combined. Do you want to address that?

Kentucky can survive outside the SEC, but why would they want to go to a wimp conference like the ACC? In the ACC they would cut their revenue in half, or possibly even worse, and play a bunch of pussy teams; why do that when they could get to play Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Vandy, South Carolina and soon Texas & Oklahoma?

The Southeastern Conference (SEC) has collected 30 titles since 1936, the most championships won by a single conference. That was when the sports writers got to vote who the best team was because all of them were based outside the South. They gave Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Penn State or Michigan all the glory even though it was never WON ON THE FIELD!

15 of the 25 "won on the field" titles are owned by the SEC.

Where is the B1G? 2
Where is the Big 12 (or what ever)? 2
Where is the ACC? 5
Where is the Pac 12? 1

Where is the SEC? 15

So that is my position for Kentucky staying in the SEC!
You said Kentucky “can’t afford to lose the SEC money.” Sounds like that was just an inaccurate statement and it’s not that they can’t afford to, but rather they wouldn’t want to. I’m glad we cleared it up. I love college basketball, and Kentucky’s a positive for CBB.

I was worried for a moment the state of the program was even worse than we all thought.

• Wow
You said Kentucky “can’t afford to lose the SEC money.” Sounds like that was just an inaccurate statement and it’s not that they can’t afford to, but rather they wouldn’t want to. I’m glad we cleared it up. I love college basketball, and Kentucky’s a positive for CBB.

I was worried for a moment the state of the program was even worse than we all thought.
Respond and give me revenues from the ACC's Duke and UNC versus SEC revenues for Kentucky.

You do not want to get into the weeds. For if you do you will find out that the SEC is triple the conference that the ACC is. Why is Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC and not the ACC? Why is Notre Dame a half ACC, only basketball? Why would the ACC allow that? Why did Maryland leave? Why did FSU want to exit?

Give me some facts that favor the ACC. Give me some stats that favor the ACC. Good luck in finding them.

My position is that those schools like Georgetown, Gonzaga, Villanova and UConn do not qualify for Division I.

I graduated high school in rural Kentucky in 1964. At that time there were about 100 "Division I" schools in the NCAA. Many schools now, over 300, are in no way Division I. If you don't play big time football you should not be allowed to play big time basketball. These "fake" schools should make their own conference. They are the "little" league.

I can't wait until the real conferences create about 5 real leagues and kiss the NCAA cheats good bye.
Tell me your old without telling me your old

• Haha
Respond and give me revenues from the ACC's Duke and UNC versus SEC revenues for Kentucky.

You do not want to get into the weeds. For if you do you will find out that the SEC is triple the conference that the ACC is. Why is Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC and not the ACC? Why is Notre Dame a half ACC, only basketball? Why would the ACC allow that? Why did Maryland leave? Why did FSU want to exit?

Give me some facts that favor the ACC. Give me some stats that favor the ACC. Good luck in finding them.

You’re damn near the only one that goes crazy over how much money the SEC has made but I guess that makes you feel better since UK hasn’t done anything since 2012.

But true. Kentucky will never dominate the SEC at that level ever again. You guys enjoyed a time where no one else cared about basketball. Too much parity now with a lot more schools putting money into basketball.
Bullshit.

But your sentence structure has improved. Did you use Grammar check?

Your statement "Too much parity now with a lot more schools putting money into basketball" needs the additional words "There is. . . . ." before "Too much parity now with a lot more schools putting money into basketball."

You still need to go to college and take "bonehead" English. Apparently they did not offer that course at either Auburn or Indiana! :D

Auburn never dominated any sport bozo. Parity can't save Auburn.

GEEZE.

Bullshit.

But your sentence structure has improved. Did you use Grammar check?

Your statement "Too much parity now with a lot more schools putting money into basketball" needs the additional words "There is. . . . ." before "Too much parity now with a lot more schools putting money into basketball."

You still need to go to college and take "bonehead" English. Apparently they did not offer that course at either Auburn or Indiana! :D

Auburn never dominated any sport bozo. Parity can't save Auburn.

GEEZE.
You don’t even make sense here

• Haha
You don’t even make sense here
Sorry dude, I got to get ready to watch Kentucky play some basketball from Toronto Canada.

I know you don't understand because Auburn has never been selected to represent the U.S. in any international contests. Hell they can't represent Alabama.

. . . . .so go back and suck on that cheap beer and let me watch some good basketball!

Sorry dude, I got to get ready to watch Kentucky play some basketball from Toronto Canada.

I know you don't understand because Auburn has never been selected to represent the U.S. in any international contests. Hell they can't represent Alabama.

. . . . .so go back and suck on that cheap beer and let me watch some good basketball!
Huh? Auburn traveled to Israel just last season and did exactly what Uk is doing in Canada. Stop posting

Where did I bring up ACC revenues or deny that the SEC makes more money?

Huh? Auburn traveled to Israel just last season and did exactly what Uk is doing in Canada. Stop posting
Never. :D

I have been here as a paying member since January 2003, nearly six years longer than you.

I love throwing shade on you late comers. Showing total contempt on some of your views needs to be done by someone.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Never. :D

I have been here as a paying member since January 2003, nearly six years longer than you.

I love throwing shade on you late comers. Showing total contempt on some of your views needs to be done by someone.
Dude you’re 77. Everyone here besides you is late comer. You probably have dial up and an AOL email address don’t you?

• Haha
Dude you’re 77. Everyone here besides you is late comer. You probably have dial up and an AOL email address don’t you?
I love you AuHoosier. You never disappoint.

I actually have intellectual property involving a computer program. Do you? Why do you want to insult folks all the time? You must be a mess.

Also for the record Israel beat Auburn last year. The games were totally different than what UK did in Canada.

348857127_833984371718674_6771201290841561976_n.jpg

Last edited:
I love you AuHoosier. You never disappoint.

I actually have intellectual property involving a computer program. Do you? Why do you want to insult folks all the time? You must be a mess.

Also for the record Israel beat Auburn last year. The games were totally different than what UK did in Canada.

348857127_833984371718674_6771201290841561976_n.jpg
It was the same thing

Bert: "I love throwing shade"

Bert's very next post: Waaaaaah, why do you want to insult me? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
Huge Duke fan here. I expect their football to continue to get better and better under Coach Elko, and with the support of the university… Easily should be a top 20 team this year with 17 starters returning… The problem is the football stadium is just terrible even with some minor renovations. There are many elite high school stadiums that our class Duke’s home field by a lot.

Obviously, basketball is the pinnacle of basketball brands and even baseball is better, but I think the football situation is going to continue to be an albatross until they just demolish it and build something worthwhile. Would not complain if they were in the big 10, but I would hate to lose some of the rivalries. We are used to seeing.

It was the same thing. All schools get to take an overseas trip and compete in games or a tourney every few years. Kentucky is not getting anything special here. Stop it
Okay. Live in your ignorant world.

The trip to Canada does not count bozo. Of course you did not read, listen or watch. GEEZE you are so predictable.

You never fail me AuHoosier.

ADVERTISEMENT