ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball blue bloods

Who's taking over for Roy? You don't just replace a coach like Roy. UNC*** tried that once, it didn't go too well.
Ya because no coach in America would take the Carolina coaching job.
Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself.

You're just showing your ignorance or just plain lack of knowledge. Have it your way.
Either way, the ACC won't be counting on UL for anything this year, so I don't know what you're puffing your chest out for. UL has done nothing but ride the ACC's coat tails since it got there.
Season hasn’t started yet. I expect us to be decent this year. Not puffing out my chest, but a lot of cats fans act like we’re gonna suck horribly this year. We won’t. Our squad is pretty good in my opinion.

Season hasn’t started yet. I expect us to be decent this year. Not puffing out my chest, but a lot of cats fans act like we’re gonna suck horribly this year. We won’t. Our squad is pretty good in my opinion.
You have to have a roster of 5* recruits & 7 draft picks to be any good in their eyes.
Too bad that formula has only paid off for them ONCE.

Reactions: UL_1986
You have to have a roster of 5* recruits & 7 draft picks to be any good in their eyes.
Too bad that formula has only paid off for them ONCE.
What’s funny is we have two 5 stars and a slew of high rated 4 stars with 2 grad transfers who are certainly capable. With an actual inside presence this year, and a qualified coach. But no, “UofL will suck”. Eyeroll

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Who's taking over for Roy? You don't just replace a coach like Roy. UNC*** tried that once, it didn't go too well.

I mean, it didn't go well for a few years. Then it did. UNC has been a staple of college basketball for as long as we can all remember. That isn't going to change. I don't even know what you are going for here. I don't think anyone thinks UNC will go anywhere.

I'm not arguing...I just pointed out a fact. I mean I find it funny you made fun of a team(UVA) that last went to a bowl game the same time as UK. In other words, a UK fan making fun of another football program, is like ME, and IU fan, doing the same. Its, well....funny.

Lighten up.
Losing to them 27-3 is what's funny.

I mean, it didn't go well for a few years. Then it did. UNC has been a staple of college basketball for as long as we can all remember. That isn't going to change. I don't even know what you are going for here. I don't think anyone thinks UNC will go anywhere.
You don't know what I'm going for? Did you just cherry pick posts to read or did you start at the beginning of the conversation?
Basically what I'm saying is there are two great programs in the ACC and both programs have HOF coaches that are going to retire soon. Good luck trying to replace those guys, the options out there aren't all that great.
No, UNC*** and Duke aren't going anywhere, but they could go through ling periods of mediocrity.

Ya because no coach in America would take the Carolina coaching job.
Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself.
No, you're embarrassing yourself with replies like that. Where did I say that nobody would take the UNC*** job if offered?
What I'm saying is there are only so many guys CAPABLE of being successful at UNC or Duke. Those stages aren't for everyone.
Who do you think UNC*** would hire if Roy left after this year?

No, you're embarrassing yourself with replies like that. Where did I say that nobody would take the UNC*** job if offered?
What I'm saying is there are only so many guys CAPABLE of being successful at UNC or Duke. Those stages aren't for everyone.
Who do you think UNC*** would hire if Roy left after this year?
Billy Donovan after OKC wins 49 games and loses in the 1st round of the playoffs. Unless they could get another superstar to get to OKC I think 2nd round is about as good as OKC will do under Westbrook. There's probably a much better chance that he leaves than them getting another elite player. I doubt Donovan is around for much longer the way things are trending and I could easily see him going back to CBB. But he's not gonna leave for an Oklahoma or Purdue type of job, he'd come back and get immediately hired by Carolina or Duke if the spot was open.

The only elite college coaches that are untouchable to UNC are Calipari, Izzo, K, Self and Wright. Probably Huggins too but they wouldn't go after him anyways. But young coaches are emerging all the time in the sport. Chris Beard at Texas Tech for example. If he has another successful season as Texas Tech then he immediately jumps to the top 5 list of best available young coaches. I'm sure there's others like him out there.

Billy Donovan after OKC wins 49 games and loses in the 1st round of the playoffs. Unless they could get another superstar to get to OKC I think 2nd round is about as good as OKC will do under Westbrook. There's probably a much better chance that he leaves than them getting another elite player. I doubt Donovan is around for much longer the way things are trending and I could easily see him going back to CBB. But he's not gonna leave for an Oklahoma or Purdue type of job, he'd come back and get immediately hired by Carolina or Duke if the spot was open.

The only elite college coaches that are untouchable to UNC are Calipari, Izzo, K, Self and Wright. Probably Huggins too but they wouldn't go after him anyways. But young coaches are emerging all the time in the sport. Chris Beard at Texas Tech for example. If he has another successful season as Texas Tech then he immediately jumps to the top 5 list of best available young coaches. I'm sure there's others like him out there.
Doesn't UNC*** usually stick to hiring coaches that have ties to the UNC*** organization?
I wouldn't think they would even consider Billy Donovan or an unproven young coach.

Last edited:
Doesn't UNC*** usually stick to hiring coaches that have ties to the UNC*** organization?
I wouldn't think they would even consider Bilky Donovan or an unproven young coach.
They did a few times 15-20 years ago but I imagine the entire AD is made up of completely different people now. I think there would be a lot of angry people out there if they hired from within instead of searching for the best available. That approach seems to be an old school way of thinking but Roy knows it well and will have a say in who replaces him. I just think Carolina is gonna take the smart approach here. Who knows though.

You don’t think Jay Wright would leave Villanova for UNC, Dook, UK or Kansas? I know he has a great job now but Villanova isn’t one of the Big 4 jobs, a once in a lifetime job.
I personally don’t see Roy leaving for at least 5 more years. Not sure why we’re even talking about it.

You don’t think Jay Wright would leave Villanova for UNC, Dook, UK or Kansas? I know he has a great job now but Villanova isn’t one of the Big 4 jobs, a once in a lifetime job.
I personally don’t see Roy leaving for at least 5 more years. Not sure why we’re even talking about it.
Nah, he’s got it too good where he’s at right now. And he’s already at the top so unless he just wants a new challenge I don’t see him going anywhere. He’ll probably retire there and have buildings on campus named after him.

K and Roy both retire in the final season... where they meet in the national title game. Boom.

I don’t think Jay Wright will leave. He’s a Philly guy if I’m not mistaken. There was a rumor a few years ago that Sean miller would hold out for the UNC job. Obviously with all the stuff that happened with fbi he might not be hireable for UNC but I agree with your main point that UNC is going to have their pick when the time comes. Roy was a no brainer. I’m not sure there’s a guy like him out there this time though. With Roy you knew 30 win seasons, conference championships, and final fours were a given. It was just a question of whether or not he would get over the hump and win a title.

I don’t think Jay Wright will leave. He’s a Philly guy if I’m not mistaken. There was a rumor a few years ago that Sean miller would hold out for the UNC job. Obviously with all the stuff that happened with fbi he might not be hireable for UNC but I agree with your main point that UNC is going to have their pick when the time comes. Roy was a no brainer. I’m not sure there’s a guy like him out there this time though. With Roy you knew 30 win seasons, conference championships, and final fours were a given. It was just a question of whether or not he would get over the hump and win a title.
I can see your point about Wright. One never knows what he’d do if one of the big 4 basketball schools calls him.
It would be very VERY hard to tell UNC, UK, Dook or Kansas no.

You don't know what I'm going for? Did you just cherry pick posts to read or did you start at the beginning of the conversation?
Basically what I'm saying is there are two great programs in the ACC and both programs have HOF coaches that are going to retire soon. Good luck trying to replace those guys, the options out there aren't all that great.
No, UNC*** and Duke aren't going anywhere, but they could go through ling periods of mediocrity.

Or they could not. I find it more likely UNC doesn't. I mean, how long where they mediocre last time? Not as long as some other blue bloods who replaced good coaches.

Also, there is something wrong with your keyboard or something, or perhaps you are just using an asterisk for every National Title Roy has won there?? That is cool of you I guess. He is a bad man.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfan in ky

I think Beard will be very hard to pull away as long as our AD gets him what he needs to succeed and keeps him happy.

I think Beard will be very hard to pull away as long as our AD gets him what he needs to succeed and keeps him happy.
I hope he stays at Tech and I hope they become a top 4 program in the Big 12.

Isn't he from around here? West Texas I mean (Midland here). I think I remember reading how he is at his dream school right now.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Isn't he from around here? West Texas I mean (Midland here). I think I remember reading how he is at his dream school right now.
Bored so I looked him up. Born in GA, graduated HS @ The Woodlands, (Montgomery Co), and went to college @ Texas and Masters @ Abilene Christian.

Reactions: schoonerwest

Family is in Abilene. He’s coached in Texas a long time. Was an assistant at Tech for 10 years when Bob Knight was here. I think Tech is home for him. We just need to make sure we stay competitive in salary and facilities for him and I think he’ll stick around for a while.

Reactions: schoonerwest
What’s funny is we have two 5 stars and a slew of high rated 4 stars with 2 grad transfers who are certainly capable. With an actual inside presence this year, and a qualified coach. But no, “UofL will suck”. Eyeroll

I don't think you guys will suck, but you won't be a juggernaut either. You have too much newness. 0% experience with this coach. And that takes some time to develop. There's more questions than answers about your basketball team. Do you think depth is a problem? I'm only asking cuz I don't know what your roster looks like.

I don't think you guys will suck, but you won't be a juggernaut either. You have too much newness. 0% experience with this coach. And that takes some time to develop. There's more questions than answers about your basketball team. Do you think depth is a problem? I'm only asking cuz I don't know what your roster looks like.
Our guard and wing spots are full, and our front court is shaping up. Mostly concerned about foul trouble with Enoch and Williams, though Agau and Nwora will be playing some 4 too. I think we could eek our way into the top 25 if this team meshes like I think they will. However, our schedule is no joke, and I’m honestly just wanting to make the tournament and get a couple wins. This season would be a success if we make it to the s16. I think we’re looking at a 2nd round loss though as a 7 or 8 seed.

Our guard and wing spots are full, and our front court is shaping up. Mostly concerned about foul trouble with Enoch and Williams, though Agau and Nwora will be playing some 4 too. I think we could eek our way into the top 25 if this team meshes like I think they will. However, our schedule is no joke, and I’m honestly just wanting to make the tournament and get a couple wins. This season would be a success if we make it to the s16. I think we’re looking at a 2nd round loss though as a 7 or 8 seed.

I just took a peek at your roster. Looks solid. I don't see anything wrong with your expectations.

Reactions: UL_1986
I can see your point about Wright. One never knows what he’d do if one of the big 4 basketball schools calls him.
It would be very VERY hard to tell UNC, UK, Dook or Kansas no.
I agree, although the money might be too hard to decline. He only makes like $2.5 mil at Villanova. He would be offered 3 times that at Duke or UK, twice as much at Kansas. Had to look up what UNC pays Roy, does he really only make $2.2 mil? If so, that is a damn steal.

I agree, although the money might be too hard to decline. He only makes like $2.5 mil at Villanova. He would be offered 3 times that at Duke or UK, twice as much at Kansas. Had to look up what UNC pays Roy, does he really only make $2.2 mil? If so, that is a damn steal.
Yes. That’s his base salary from UNC. I know he gets endorsement money from Nike & a few others.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Yeah you guys killed it against big bad Georgia tech in the gaytor bowl that year..Laughing
all just gravy after destroying your Orange bowl dreams
so many UL fans were all ready looking to buy their tickets and then the big bad wolf burned the house down RollLaugh

all just gravy after destroying your Orange bowl dreams
so many UL fans were all ready looking to buy their tickets and then the big bad wolf burned the house down RollLaugh
We have two bcs bowl victories the last 15 years. What about the poosay cats?

ADVERTISEMENT