ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/Big Ten Challenge

I hate Duke.

giphy.gif

Reactions: bMORE607
You are an Indiana basketball fan with Notre Dame football pic. Bro, you’re one of them. Lol, have you put away your ND apparel for IU yet or do you wait for the holidays to end?
I’m an IU grad “bro” that grew up a Notre Dame football fan. I also grew up in Indiana going to Notre Dame games. And while those schools have won a lot historically, they haven’t won anything of note in my lifetime. I’m also a Bengals a fan at 0-11 right now so I’m far from a “t-shirt frontrunner”.

Damn though I’ve never seen somebody bitch out so much over a basketball game in early December.

Show us on the doll where Duke touched you.

RBS is struggling a little here, so let me offer some perspective.

Being an MSU can be difficult, because it’s all we have. No other options. Just good enough on average in football and basketball to prevent fans from looking for another team to hook on to. Rarely good enough in either to really gloat. Success at MSU is always tentative, so as fans, we’re too nervous about an impending slide back to mediocrity or worse to really enjoy it.

On top of that, there are very, very, very few non-alumni fans of MSU. If you are from MI and didn’t go to MSU, there is a 98% chance that you’re a Michigan fan.

So, we can’t find comfort anywhere else. It’s not like any of us are MSU basketball fans and Alabama, Oregon, OSU, Michigan et al football fan. Or an MSU football fan and Kentucky or Duke basketball fan.

It’s all we have, and we don’t have the option of just picking some blue-blood and coat-tailing. We are forced to live and die with one school. To make matters worse, that school is often drowned out by the other school in the state, as well as their massive fanbase consisting 75% of people who never went to college and don’t breathe through their noses.

Yup, Duke is good. Your contracted mercenaries beat up on amateur athletes recruited by Big Ten coaches. Congrats. Now run along and put on you Duke t-shirt to let everyone know you like a team that historically wins a lot. Sweet.
If my coach was 2-12 against Duke and just got thoroughly outplayed on our home court, I probably would resort to this type of post as well. Maybe at some point, Izzo will start beating out K for some of these "contracted mercenaries." It's not like he isn't recruiting the same young men K is.

Congrats on retiring Draymonds' number last night though.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Being an MSU can be difficult, because it’s all we have. No other options. Just good enough on average in football and basketball to prevent fans from looking for another team to hook on to. Rarely good enough in either to really gloat. Success at MSU is always tentative, so as fans, we’re too nervous about an impending slide back to mediocrity or worse to really enjoy it.

On top of that, there are very, very, very few non-alumni fans of MSU. If you are from MI and didn’t go to MSU, there is a 98% chance that you’re a Michigan fan.

So, we can’t find comfort anywhere else. It’s not like any of us are MSU basketball fans and Alabama, Oregon, OSU, Michigan et al football fan. Or an MSU football fan and Kentucky or Duke basketball fan.

It’s all we have, and we don’t have the option of just picking some blue-blood and coat-tailing. We are forced to live and die with one school. To make matters worse, that school is often drowned out by the other school in the state, as well as their massive fanbase consisting 75% of people who never went to college and don’t breathe through their noses.
Michigan State basketball has been a top 5 program for the past 20 years, has a HOF coach and you want people to feel bad for you?

GTFOH

Lol, wut?

In like the last decade we have 3 Big Ten football championships, a Rose Bowl, a Cotton Bowl, and went to the CFP. In basketball we have a bunch of Big Ten regular season championships and tournament championships, final fours, and other tournament runs.

Not sure if you’re being serious. UM fan schtick or something? Just doesn’t make any sense. We aren’t Duke basketball or Bama football but damn...

If my coach was 2-12 against Duke and just got thoroughly outplayed on our home court, I probably would resort to this type of post as well. Maybe at some point, Izzo will start beating out K for some of these "contracted mercenaries." It's not like he isn't recruiting the same young men K is.

Congrats on retiring Draymonds' number last night though.

Izzo doesn’t beat out KU, UK, UL, and Duke for recruits. Some things tend to happen behind the scenes and we end up coming in 2nd.

Draymond absolutely deserves it. He was a hell of a player for Izzo. No question.

Michigan State basketball has been a top 5 program for the past 20 years, has a HOF coach and you want people to feel bad for you?

GTFOH
Yeah, those FFs are fun. In the last 20 years, MSU has the same # of NCs as the following schools: L-ville, Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland, Kansas (inexplicable) and Kentucky (inexplicable). They have fewer NCs than in the last 20 years than: Florida, UConn, Villanova, Duke, UNC.

That’s Top 5?

I love Izzo as much as anybody and more than most, but we have had as many bad tourney losses over Izzo’s tenure as we have FFs.

Not to mention, some of us have actually been around a lot longer than the Izzo tenure when we were as likely to miss the tourney as make it. And Izzo is nearing the end of his run, and who knows what’s going to happen after that. IU probably thought they would just keep cruising after Knight retired...reality often unfolds differently.

I don’t want anybody to feel bad for us. Just explaining the dynamic of why MSU fans get frustrated and why it’s annoying when coat-tail fans talk shit.

Izzo doesn’t beat out KU, UK, UL, and Duke for recruits. Some things tend to happen behind the scenes and we end up coming in 2nd.

Draymond absolutely deserves it. He was a hell of a player for Izzo. No question.
He rarely does beat out K for recruits, but it is not for lack of effort.

Green got his number retired for what he has done in the NBA mostly. Unless Michigan State is in the habit of handing out retired numbers for guys who have decent, not great, college careers. I am not sure his number sniffs the rafters if he was a bust in the NBA. Which there is nothing wrong with. He has made himself into a great professional.

Reactions: tw3301
Lol, wut?

In like the last decade we have 3 Big Ten football championships, a Rose Bowl, a Cotton Bowl, and went to the CFP. In basketball we have a bunch of Big Ten regular season championships and tournament championships, final fours, and other tournament runs.

Not sure if you’re being serious. UM fan schtick or something? Just doesn’t make any sense. We aren’t Duke basketball or Bama football but damn...
Like I said...just enough success to keep us from bailing on either.

Yes, recent B1G championships, bowl wins, and FF runs. Now go look at the last 40 years of football and basketball and get back with me.

I don’t want anybody to feel bad for us. Just explaining the dynamic of why MSU fans get frustrated and why it’s annoying when coat-tail fans talk shit.
I always thought you were better than this type of stuff. (shows an inferiority complex and sour grapes all in one) Why a person becomes a fan is one thing, (how many people become fans of a program that is a losing one?) but what they do after that determines if they are a true fan or not. Sure, Duke has its "coattail" fans, but what program or team that has had the type of big level success hasn't, on the national level?

Reactions: Quavarius
Like I said...just enough success to keep us from bailing on either.

Yes, recent B1G championships, bowl wins, and FF runs. Now go look at the last 40 years of football and basketball and get back with me.

I'd venture to guess than about 300+ D1 programs would trade their histories for MSU's, both basketball and football. Majority of teams have never made the F4 even once. Only 36 teams even have a single NCAA title, in the last 70+ years - we have 2 (with only 9 schools having more than us).

Weird angle you are taking here. I get that we aren't on the same level as the 5 blue bloods of the sport, but you sound like an entitled whiner here.

He rarely does beat out K for recruits, but it is not for lack of effort.

Green got his number retired for what he has done in the NBA mostly. Unless Michigan State is in the habit of handing out retired numbers for guys who have decent, not great, college careers. I am not sure his number sniffs the rafters if he was a bust in the NBA. Which there is nothing wrong with. He has made himself into a great professional.

Didn't have a great college career?

What? He made two Final Fours. Was sixth man of the year his soph year. B1G player of the year his senior year. His junior year he became only the third MSU payer to ever record a triple double and then got another one becoming only the 7th player in NCAAT history to record a triple double. He's the all time leader in rebounds at MSU one of only 3 players to have over 1000 points and rebounds at MSU.

Yeah, those FFs are fun. In the last 20 years, MSU has the same # of NCs as the following schools: L-ville, Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland, Kansas (inexplicable) and Kentucky (inexplicable). They have fewer NCs than in the last 20 years than: Florida, UConn, Villanova, Duke, UNC.

That’s Top 5?

I love Izzo as much as anybody and more than most, but we have had as many bad tourney losses over Izzo’s tenure as we have FFs.

Not to mention, some of us have actually been around a lot longer than the Izzo tenure when we were as likely to miss the tourney as make it. And Izzo is nearing the end of his run, and who knows what’s going to happen after that. IU probably thought they would just keep cruising after Knight retired...reality often unfolds differently.

The guy you’re defending is calling me a front runner t-shirt fan for liking two schools, when Michigan State basketball has had more success than those two combined in the modern era.

My alma mater IU has missed 7 of the last 11 tournaments, also while I love Notre Dame and we’ve had some good seasons recently, we haven’t even won a NY6 bowl since the mid 90s. Neither have won a title since the mid-late 80s.

For someone that gets called a “piece of shit frontrunner” all the time on this board for liking 2 schools, it would be nice for those 2 schools to actually be in front from time to time.

Either way MSU basketball has been incredibly successful and is at the high point of their program historically. Don’t expect people to feel bad for you just because you’ve only won 1 title under Izzo when most schools would kill to get one, not to mention the ridiculous amount of final 4s.

I'd venture to guess than about 300+ D1 programs would trade their histories for MSU's, both basketball and football. Majority of teams have never made the F4 even once. Only 36 teams even have a single NCAA title, in the last 70+ years - we have 2 (with only 9 schools having more than us).

Weird angle you are taking here. I get that we aren't on the same level as the 5 blue bloods of the sport, but you sound like an entitled whiner here.
lol especially when you guys are coming off a final 4 less than a year ago, my god what does this guy expect?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan

The whole point of my original post has gone completely over your and other’s heads.

What? He made two Final Fours. Was sixth man of the year his soph year. B1G player of the year his senior year. His junior year he became only the third MSU payer to ever record a triple double and then got another one becoming only the 7th player in NCAAT history to record a triple double. He's the all time leader in rebounds at MSU one of only 3 players to have over 1000 points and rebounds at MSU.
Was gonna say, Draymond was a nightmare to deal with in college.

Yeah, that dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s also about Draymond’s leadership and where he came from and what he became. It’s the entire package and he’s extremely outspoken about MSU and he donates back to the university. He’s involved in charities and gives his free time to people much less fortunate. He’s rough around the edges for sure but Draymond means a lot to the MSU community on top of all of his accolades.

He was a great Spartan for sure. Not debating that. When using the term great to describe a player in comparison with the rest of college hoops (not just the Spartan program,) but I am not sure the numbers and accomplishments fall under the category of "great." Very good is what I would call him and leave the superlatives like great to those who deserve it.

The whole point of my original post has gone completely over your and other’s heads.

It was a stupid argument.

Oh boo hoo, blue bloods have non-alumni fans... poor MSU (who has been better than 330+ colleges over the last decade / 50 years / history)

He was a great Spartan for sure. Not debating that. When using the term great to describe a player in comparison with the rest of college hoops (not just the Spartan program,) but I am not sure the numbers and accomplishments fall under the category of "great." Very good is what I would call him and leave the superlatives like great to those who deserve it.

Really the only argument could be that he doesn't have a title. 2 Final Fours, multiple B1G titles, and was NABC NPOY his senior year.

Johnny Dawkins # is retired at Duke, and he didn't have as good of a career as Draymond did at MSU. Same for Jeff Mullins (?), and Shelden Williams.

Really the only argument could be that he doesn't have a title. 2 Final Fours, multiple B1G titles, and was NABC NPOY his senior year.

Johnny Dawkins # is retired at Duke, and he didn't have as good of a career as Draymond did at MSU. Same for Jeff Mullins (?), and Shelden Williams.
Dawkins, Mullins and Williams were not great either. Very good players for the Duke program, just not great. (and Johnny Dawkins is the reason I am a Duke fan)

Oh boo hoo, blue bloods have non-alumni fans... poor MSU (who has been better than 330+ colleges over the last decade / 50 years / history)
What about the people that don't even go to college, are they not allowed to root for a team? lol He's not even making sense.

The goal is to have the most success, not to have the most fans.

Dawkins, Mullins and Williams were not great either. Very good players for the Duke program, just not great. (and Johnny Dawkins is the reason I am a Duke fan)

Your argument was that he only had his jersey retired because of what he's done in the NBA... yet he did more in college and the NBA, than any of those 3 players from Duke... who also have their jerseys retired.

I guess Duke is also in the habit of handing out retired numbers for not-great players?

Your argument was that he only had his jersey retired because of what he's done in the NBA... yet he did more in college and the NBA, than any of those 3 players from Duke... who also have their jerseys retired.

I guess Duke is also in the habit of handing out retired numbers for not-great players?
I am guessing you don't know much about Johnny Dawkins' career as a Duke player. Go ahead and look it up. The dude was the ACC's all time leading scorer until JJ Redick (and eventually Tyler Hansbrough) broke it. In 1986, Dawkins was a NPOY and a two time first team all american as well.

Duke is in the habit of retiring THEIR great players. I have not once contended that these guys are the true greats of the college game. Very good players who Duke decided were among their own greats.

Lol. You clearly don’t spend any time in Michigan, so you never have to deal with it.

Seeing how Draymond Green is only one of 6 MSU players to earn 1st Team All-American honors, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have his number retired. Mateen Cleveas is the only other Spartan to play in 2 Final Fours and receive 1st Team All-American honors. I think it would be a disservice to not hang his jersey.

I know this...on Selection Sunday I am praying that I'm not in Tom Izzo's bracket and that's the case every year. They have beaten us in two Elite Eights with teams that probably didn't have our overall talent and we beat them in 2012 in the Sweet Sixteen in Draymond Green's last time in the Spartan uniform...and I wouldn't have given us 15 points if you put a gun to my head.

I am guessing you don't know much about Johnny Dawkins' career as a Duke player. Go ahead and look it up. The dude was the ACC's all time leading scorer until JJ Redick (and eventually Tyler Hansbrough) broke it. In 1986, Dawkins was a NPOY and a two time first team all american as well.

Duke is in the habit of retiring THEIR great players. I have not once contended that these guys are the true greats of the college game. Very good players who Duke decided were among their own greats.

What are you even talking about then?

MSU retired THEIR great player, in Draymond.

Dawkins: Naismith NPOY his Sr year (1986), 2x All-America 1st Team (1985, 1986), 2x All-ACC 1st team (1985, 1986), 0x ACC POY, 3rd team Parade All-American (1982), 1 Final Four (1986), 0 titles, 1 ACC title (1986), 1 ACC Tournament title (1986).

Draymond: NABC NPOY his Sr year (2012), 1x All-America 1st team (2012), 1x B1G 1st team (2012), 1x B1G POY (2012), 1x B1G All-Defense (2012), 2x B1G 3rd team (2010, 2011), 1x B1G DPOY (2012), 1x B1G 6th Man (2010), 4th team Parade All-American (2008), 2 Final Fours, 0 titles, 3 B1G titles, 1 B1G tournament title,

I mean... they seem pretty similar to me. Not to mention that Shelden Williams and Jeff Mullins also had their jerseys retired at Duke, and had lesser careers than Draymond both in college and the NBA.

Reactions: jace4655555
ADVERTISEMENT