ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Agreed but there were recruits that straight up said that they passed on UNC because other coaches were telling them how hard Carolina was going to get hit from the NCAA.
It is what it is but look at the recruits Carolina signed during the scandal & the recruits they’re getting after.
It happens in recruiting all the time. Everyone is looking for an edge and that was an easy one to take advantage of.

Coaches still use "the platoon" against Calipari and sometimes it still works.

I never realized the platoon was such a bad thing, especially when everyone that played on that team ended up in the NBA.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Cole Anthony can play, but he's a volume shooter, and so far he hasn't shot it very well.

As much as it makes me sick at my stomach to defend a UNC player, Anthony HAS to be a volume shooter because they have nothing else on offense.

Yeah, he should actually shoot more. If he came down and chucked it every possession they would score more points.

Reactions: kyjeff1
As much as it makes me sick at my stomach to defend a UNC player, Anthony HAS to be a volume shooter because they have nothing else on offense.

I understand that. UNC isn't very good. But Anthony hasn't separated himself as the cream of the crop of freshmen either. That was the point of my post. Several other PGs I'd rather have at the college level at this point.

Reactions: Quavarius
Michigan’s “amazing” week is looking less amazing these days.

The Big 10 rules the roost, again.

Serious question because I'm not as good at math as you Iowa folk but what's the correlation between the B1G winning the ACC/B1G challenge and a B1G team winning the national championship?

Reactions: tw3301
Serious question because I'm not as good at math as you Iowa folk but what's the correlation between the B1G winning the ACC/B1G challenge and a B1G team winning the national championship?

Don't be triggered.

The point of the challenge is to find out what the better conference is, not the national champion. The NCAA is for that.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. They give you a trophy for the "better conference" award? Serious question.

Reactions: tw3301
Truthfully, yes, the ACC isn't anything special this year. We have 6 teams in the KenPom top 50. The Big Ten has 7 teams in the top 25 for KP.

Generally speaking, I don't think the Challenge is a great determining factor on who the better conference is. B1G won the Challenge in the 2015 & 2016 seasons, for example. Yet Most would agree that the ACC had much more successful seasons in 2015 & 2016. This year, however, it's abundantly clear to me that the ACC ain't doing much in March. Louisville looks legit. Duke/FSU might be decent. UVA/UNC are okay, but I don't see either team winning more than 1 or 2 games in the tournament. We don't have the depth like we normally do - and we have A LOT of average/bad teams.

Reactions: tw3301 and jhmossy
Truthfully, yes, the ACC isn't anything special this year. We have 6 teams in the KenPom top 50. The Big Ten has 7 teams in the top 25 for KP.

Generally speaking, I don't think the Challenge is a great determining factor on who the better conference is. B1G won the Challenge in the 2015 & 2016 seasons, for example. Yet Most would agree that the ACC had much more successful seasons in 2015 & 2016. This year, however, it's abundantly clear to me that the ACC ain't doing much in March. Louisville looks legit. Duke/FSU might be decent. UVA/UNC are okay, but I don't see either team winning more than 1 or 2 games in the tournament. We don't have the depth like we normally do - and we have A LOT of average/bad teams.

It's hard to match up the teams they think are equal as well. Penn St should have been playing up.

OSU should have played UL.

Michigan played Duke

MSU played UNC

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It's hard to match up the teams they think are equal as well. Penn St should have been playing up.

OSU should have played UL.

Michigan played Duke

MSU played UNC

That seriously may have been the worse challenge ever. Look at the scoring margins in the 14 games - only the Miami/Illinois game was single-digits. And it really only became competitive within the last 6 minutes of the game.

B1G winners:
Purdue +29
Ohio State + 25
Penn State + 22
Maryland + 21
Northwestern + 18
Minnesota + 18
Indiana + 16
Iowa +14

ACC winners:
Georgia Tech + 17
NC State + 15
Louisville + 15
Duke +12
Pittsburgh + 11
Miami +2

Obviously it's an impossible task to evenly match up all the teams. But how Maryland and Penn State were paired with Notre Dame and Wake Forest is a complete head-scratcher.

Last edited:
That seriously may have been the worse challenge ever. Look at the scoring margins in the 14 games - only the Miami/Illinois game was single-digits. And it really only became competitive within the last 6 minutes of the game.

B1G winners:
Purdue +29
Ohio State + 25
Penn State + 22
Maryland + 21
Northwestern + 18
Minnesota + 18
Indiana + 16
Iowa +14

ACC winners:
Georgia Tech + 17
NC State + 15
Louisville + 15
Duke +12
Pittsburgh + 11
Miami +2

Obviously it's an impossible to task to evenly match up all the teams. But how Maryland and Penn State were paired with Notre Dame and Wake Forest is a complete head-scratcher.

Yikes. Those margins of victories are insane. Wow. By far the worst match ups ever

B1G winners:
Purdue +29
Ohio State + 25
Penn State + 22
Maryland + 21
Northwestern + 18
Minnesota + 18
Indiana + 16
Iowa +14

ACC winners:
Georgia Tech + 17
NC State + 15
Louisville + 15
Duke +12
Pittsburgh + 11
Miami +2

Obviously it's an impossible to task to evenly match up all the teams. But how Maryland and Penn State were paired with Notre Dame and Wake Forest is a complete head-scratcher.

We were supposed to get paired with Va Tech, but they requested to sit out because of having a new coach and so we got paired with ND who was supposedly to sit out.

Nope. But they do to win a national championship.

I also didn’t include Pac 12.
Nah, your conference doesn't win national championships.

See Kentucky in the SEC most years. The SEC didn't make Kentucky into a power and Kentucky didn't really help elevate the conference either.

At least not in the way teams like Bama and LSU (and Urban Meyer/Steve Spurrier Florida teams) did in football.

Reactions: KerryRhodes

See Kentucky in the SEC most years. The SEC didn't make Kentucky into a power and Kentucky didn't really help elevate the conference either.

At least not in the way teams like Bama and LSU (and Urban Meyer/Steve Spurrier Florida teams) did in football.

No, we didn't, we tried, but ended up beating them down time after time.

LOL you actually took the time to respond to my obviously sarcastic post.

ADVERTISEMENT