ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/Big Ten Challenge

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Make sure you record your games on ESPN News. The 7 PM games will almost certainly bleed into the 9 PM games, per usual. 8 of the top 11 teams in the AP Poll will be playing in the challenge.

Monday
Miami at Illinois, 7 PM, ESPN 2
Clemson at Minnesota, 9 PM, ESPN 2

Tuesday
Northwestern at Boston College, 7 PM, ESPN U
Iowa at Syracuse, 7 PM, ESPN 2
#4 Michigan at #1 Louisville, 7:30 PM, ESPN
Rutgers at Pittsburgh, 9 PM, ESPN U
#17 Florida State at Indiana, 9 PM, ESPN 2
#10 Duke at #11 Michigan State, 9:30 PM, ESPN

Wednesday
#5 Virginia at Purdue, 7:15 PM, ESPN 2
Nebraska at Georgia Tech, 7:15 PM, ESPN U
Notre Dame at #3 Maryland, 7:30 PM, ESPN
Wisconsin at NC State, 9:15 PM, ESPN 2
Wake Forest at Penn State, 9:15 PM, ESPN U
#6 Ohio State at #7 North Carolina, 9:30, ESPN

Reactions: rdgtr
Ranked teams in the challenge:

#1 Louisville
#3 Maryland
#4 Michigan
#5 Virginia
#6 Ohio State
#7 North Carolina
#10 Duke
#11 Michigan State
#17 Florida State

Too bad Virginia-Maryland weren't paired together.

Reactions: precise02
My sure to be wrong predictions:

Monday
  • Illinois wins easily. Miami is scuffling.
Clemson at Minnesota, 9 PM, ESPN 2 -
  • Clemson picks up a useful road win. Minnesota has lost to every team with a pulse they've played and Clemson played TCU and Colorado tough
Results Big Ten 1, ACC 1

Tuesday
Northwestern at Boston College, 7 PM, ESPN U -
  • Yikes. A team that just lost by 20 to Richmond vs a team that lost to Merrimack. I guess I'll go with BC since they are at home but would prefer they just cancel this game.
  • I have to go with Iowa on the road but I'm guessing that means Fran will get do FranCon 1 and blow another game he shouldn't. Nah, never mind, it's not March yet.
  • Who saw this as the best matchup in the Challenge prior to the season (besides Hail of course....just ask him....he'll tell you). Michigan has been red hot from three all year. Louisville is one of the better teams in the nation at defending the three. I'm leaning Louisville here
  • A couple of weeks ago, I'd have given the nod to Rutgers on the road. But after wins over KSU and NW on a neutral floor, I think Capel has Pitt playing much better.
  • IU has played one of the easiest schedules in the nation but it amps up in a big way here. FSU is relentless on D but a work in process on O. Tough game to pick but I'll go with IU at home. They don't call it the Hall of Calls for nothing and I think IU spends most of the night at the foul line.
  • Two teams that looked to be among the top 3-4 teams in the nation in the preseason but have yet to show it. I think Duke has bigger issues than MSU and Sparty gets the win at home.
Tuesday result - Big Ten 3, ACC 3

Wednesday
  • Revenge is a dish best served in a game that might not get out of the 30's. Seriously. Both of these teams are offensively challenged and elite defensive teams. If the game were in Charlottesville or the Wahoos had Braxton Key, I think it would be UVA easily. But it's not and they don't. Purdue gets the upset it needs.
  • Another yikes. The Fred Hoiberg era is off to a rough start and Nebraska and Josh Pastner is holding onto his job by a thread. Pastner lives to see another day as the Jackets get the win
  • Easiest call of the week and dumb that this was the setup. Maryland rolls
  • Wisky is another team that has been Jekyl and Hyde this year. Their experience in Brooklyn was one to forget. NC State has played pretty well this year and wins comfortably at home
  • The Nits have one of the best players in this field that gets very little pub in Lamar Stevens. Wake Forest has....well.....uh....Danny Manning on the sideline. PSU wins comfortably
  • With the Big Ten having already clinched the Challenge, the pressure is off OSU. But then again, this is this young team's first foray outside the friendly confines of Value City Arena. UNC's lone loss this year is to a Michigan team that might actually be pretty good. Hmm...this is a tough one. Can OSU contain Cole Anthony? Can UNC get Kaleb Wesson in foul trouble (the best way to be the Buckeyes IMO). Give me the Heels in a nail biter
Final tally

Big Ten wins the Challenge 8-6.

What say you?

Illinois
Clemson
BC
Syracuse
Louisville
Rutgers
FSU
MSU
Purdue
Georgia Tech
Maryland
NC State
Penn State
Ohio State

7-7

Monday
  • Clemson picks up a useful road win. Minnesota has lost to every team with a pulse they've played and Clemson played TCU and Colorado tough
Results Big Ten 1, ACC 1

Tuesday
  • Yikes. A team that just lost by 20 to Richmond vs a team that lost to Merrimack. I guess I'll go with BC since they are at home but would prefer they just cancel this game.
  • I have to go with Iowa on the road but I'm guessing that means Fran will get do FranCon 1 and blow another game he shouldn't. Nah, never mind, it's not March yet.
  • Who saw this as the best matchup in the Challenge prior to the season (besides Hail of course....just ask him....he'll tell you). Michigan has been red hot from three all year. Louisville is one of the better teams in the nation at defending the three. I'm leaning Louisville here
  • A couple of weeks ago, I'd have given the nod to Rutgers on the road. But after wins over KSU and NW on a neutral floor, I think Capel has Pitt playing much better.
  • IU has played one of the easiest schedules in the nation but it amps up in a big way here. FSU is relentless on D but a work in process on O. Tough game to pick but I'll go with IU at home. They don't call it the Hall of Calls for nothing and I think IU spends most of the night at the foul line.
  • Two teams that looked to be among the top 3-4 teams in the nation in the preseason but have yet to show it. I think Duke has bigger issues than MSU and Sparty gets the win at home.

Wednesday
  • Revenge is a dish best served in a game that might not get out of the 30's. Seriously. Both of these teams are offensively challenged and elite defensive teams. If the game were in Charlottesville or the Wahoos had Braxton Key, I think it would be UVA easily. But it's not and they don't. Purdue gets the upset it needs.
  • Another yikes. The Fred Hoiberg era is off to a rough start and Nebraska and Josh Pastner is holding onto his job by a thread. Pastner lives to see another day as the Jackets get the win
  • Wisky is another team that has been Jekyl and Hyde this year. Their experience in Brooklyn was one to forget. NC State has played pretty well this year and wins comfortably at home
  • The Nits have one of the best players in this field that gets very little pub in Lamar Stevens. Wake Forest has....well.....uh....Danny Manning on the sideline. PSU wins comfortably
  • With the Big Ten having already clinched the Challenge, the pressure is off OSU. But then again, this is this young team's first foray outside the friendly confines of Value City Arena. UNC's lone loss this year is to a Michigan team that might actually be pretty good. Hmm...this is a tough one. Can OSU contain Cole Anthony? Can UNC get Kaleb Wesson in foul trouble (the best way to be the Buckeyes IMO). Give me the Heels in a nail biter
Final tally

What say you?

I think you did a great job here. I'd switch Iowa and Cuse, but overall I agree with most.

Interested to see how Purdue and FSU respond just a couple days after two bruising battles in Niceville.

Make sure you record your games on ESPN News. The 7 PM games will almost certainly bleed into the 9 PM games, per usual. 8 of the top 11 teams in the AP Poll will be playing in the challenge.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday
#5 Virginia
at Purdue, 7:15 PM, ESPN 2
B1G 9-5

Monday
Results Big Ten 1, ACC 1

Tuesday

Wednesday
Final tally

What say you?

For the record Indiana is #1 in FTA/G so it wouldn’t be surprising. #allgamesplayedintheHall

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

My picks:
Illinois
Clemson
BC
Iowa
Louisville
Pitt
Florida State
Duke
Purdue
GA Tech
Maryland
NC State
Penn State
Ohio State

7-7 Tie...

Reactions: dukedevilz
Miami's frontcourt has been especially weak to start the season, so this should help a little bit.

Wednesday

I'm confused. What makes this a revenge game?

Reactions: boilerzz
What dafuq is going on Illinois? Do your damn job!

Remember all the crying a few days ago about my power rankings for Illinois?

Excited about the Indiana/Florida State matchup, we haven’t been challenged much so far but that’s about to change. Hamilton is one of the most underrated coaches in the country, should be a good one.

Last edited:
Excited about the Indiana/Florida State matchup, we haven’t been challenged much so far but that’s about to change. Hollins is one of the most underrated coaches in the country, should be a good one.

Who’s Hollins?

ADVERTISEMENT