ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

The vid on the right the hit him on the head with the follow-through, I think that's a good foul call. His block was clean but the follow through was contact to the head just can't do it. If the refs see that contact they should probably call the foul.

The vid on the left is a 50/50 call, maybe. The defender is crowding not exactly in great defensive position there TBH. It appears he was getting beat off the dribble and he ended up being too close to Young he probably needed to allow more space and hope to block the shot from behind or force him into a bad shot, or just hope he would turn it over or just keep dribbling around. By being so close to Young he put himself in a vulnerable position to get a foul.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
The vid on the right the hit him on the head with the follow-through, I think that's a good foul call. His block was clean but the follow through was contact to the head just can't do it. If the refs see that contact they should probably call the foul.

The vid on the left is a 50/50 call, maybe. The defender is crowding not exactly in great defensive position there TBH. It appears he was getting beaten off the dribble and he ended up being too close to Young he probably needed to allow more space and hope to block the shot from behind or force him into a bad shot, or just hope he would turn it over or just keep dribbling around. By being so close to Young he put himself in a vulnerable position to get a foul.
I agree with your honest and unbiased take.

The vid on the left is a 50/50 call, maybe. The defender is crowding not exactly in great defensive position there TBH. It appears he was getting beat off the dribble and he ended up being too close to Young he probably needed to allow more space and hope to block the shot from behind or force him into a bad shot, or just hope he would turn it over or just keep dribbling around. By being so close to Young he put himself in a vulnerable position to get a foul.
Vulnerable position? Sure. But does he commit a foul? I would say he doesn’t. And contact to the body after a clean block is generally allowed and not a foul call if the player gets a clean block and makes contact on the follow through.

Vulnerable position? Sure. But does he commit a foul? I would say he doesn’t. And contact to the body after a clean block is generally allowed and not a foul call if the player gets a clean block and makes contact on the follow through.
I'll be honest, I have no ref handbook. I do think a little contact after a blocked shot or missed shot is probably allowed, but around the head area isn't as natural as around the shooting hand or even arm. They try to protect players. Any contact to the head can be an issue.

The guy needs to give Young more space and use his length to try to disrupt instead of opening himself up to contact. Just one guy's opinion that's never coached LOL!!!!!!!! Even if you think he isn't getting physical, maybe he isn't, he's still in a bit of an undisciplined defensive stance there in the vid on the left, he's kind of running side by side in no defensive position really. He's certainly not in front of him I didn't see the entire play. No doubt I'd consider the foul on the left frustrating for Philly but try doing a better job keeping him in front of the D and out of the lane.

Last edited:
I don't care enough to go look, but I'm sure Embiid gets killed in the paint. Just like I'm sure Trae gets tons of guys grabbing at him. This has been a fun series so far. Gotta think Philly finds a way to pull it out.

I don't care enough to go look, but I'm sure Embiid gets killed in the paint. Just like I'm sure Trae gets tons of guys grabbing at him. This has been a fun series so far. Gotta think Philly finds a way to pull it out.
Yeah, we went down a worm hole there. Sorry to everyone for my part in taking discussion off the tracks. Let's get back to series talk. I thought a big impact on Game 4 was John Collins finally asserting himself in the series with grit and hustle plays. He had 5 offensive boards and 3 big ones in the 4th quarter. I felt like his energy was a big key in the Hawks getting back in the game on Monday and thus getting back in the series. I'm a big John Collins fan. I think he's underrated and has a ton of value to a team in this age where basketball becomes more positionless in the way it's played.

Reactions: duckboy33
I stopped gambling on games where I care about the outcome. It's helped a lot.
I always bet against my teams so if they lose at keast i made some money.

I ask myself how much would i be willing to pay to see my team win this game, and bet it on the opponent, assuming the spread cant eff me where my team loses abd i lose the bet.

If Hunter was healthy, Hawks would have won this series in 5. What a massive choke by Philly. Bum ass #1 overall pick can’t make a FT to save his life 😂

You get rid of his ass like they should have done two years ago. You simply can’t have your max contract point guard he a complete non-factor as a scorer. Not in today’s league.
Young was literally blowing right past him. I recall a lot of talk about Simmons lockdown defense, but with smaller, quicker guards..off the dribble. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT