ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

Trae!!!! Damn he’s clutch asf. This game going down to the wire. Good choice though to take Simmons out and start Maxey.

Great game. Harris was the difference. At least I have basketball on Sunday. Seems like the Hawks shoot better in Philly than they do at home so anything can happen. Trae Young is incredible. Wow. He looks like a failed experiment where a human was given rat dna but he can ball.

D Mitch has elevated his game so much this year. The dude is special.

So now Clips vs Suns is that right? CP w/ COVID wonder when he is eligible? I seem to recall a little Rondo/CP beef over the years maybe the Clips will dust Rondo off to try to get some head games going.

The playoffs have been great but have maybe lacked that bench clearing brawl or knee to the pills that puts icing on a cake

T Mann really eased the pain of a lot of Clippers’ fans last night.
I have loved that kid since I saw him midseason vs the Sixers. Doc Rivers gave him a ton of DNPs as a rookie last season. With Doc in attendance he went next level and had 23 points off the bench on just 12 shots. I love a guy who bets on himself and loves to stick it to people saying they were wrong about him. Now as a young guy he needs to become a piece that shows up every game and can survive being a bullet point on scouting reports. But he definitely has the stuff to go next level.

Reactions: duckboy33
I have loved that kid since I saw him midseason vs the Sixers. Doc Rivers gave him a ton of DNPs as a rookie last season. With Doc in attendance he went next level and had 23 points off the bench on just 12 shots. I love a guy who bets on himself and loves to stick it to people saying they were wrong about him. Now as a young guy he needs to become a piece that shows up every game and can survive being a bullet point on scouting reports. But he definitely has the stuff to go next level.

Mann was a massive piece of turning around FSU’s culture. We were 17-16 the year before he arrived, including a home loss to Northeastern. We lost three home games in his entire 4-year career and he played in more games than any other FSU player in history.

All that dude needed was confidence in his 3 point shot. He would pass up open ones in games and it would result in a disjointed possession because the shot needed to be taken. You could hear Hamilton and CY screaming from the bench to let it fly. Finally clicked for him senior year. Took 77 threes his senior year after only attempting 85 in his first 3 years. Made them at a 40% clip senior year too.

Oh and he worked his ass off in the gym to go from around a 55% FT shooter his freshman year to an 86% FT shooter his senior year. Stan Jones is the free throw doctor.

Anyone who watched him for 4 years in Tallahassee knew a day like this was coming. Maybe not a 7-10 from 3 day, but a day where people learned his name. He was second only to Zion for FG% around the basket in something like the last 5 years in the ACC.

And you know who’s gonna have a very similar coming out party at some point in the next 1-2 years? Devin Vassell of the Spurs. Book it.

So now Clips vs Suns is that right? CP w/ COVID wonder when he is eligible? I seem to recall a little Rondo/CP beef over the years maybe the Clips will dust Rondo off to try to get some head games going.

The playoffs have been great but have maybe lacked that bench clearing brawl or knee to the pills that puts icing on a cake

Suns/Clippers should be a good series. I just hope CP3 and Kawhi can play

Mann was a massive piece of turning around FSU’s culture. We were 17-16 the year before he arrived, including a home loss to Northeastern. We lost three home games in his entire 4-year career and he played in more games than any other FSU player in history.

All that dude needed was confidence in his 3 point shot. He would pass up open ones in games and it would result in a disjointed possession because the shot needed to be taken. You could hear Hamilton and CY screaming from the bench to let it fly. Finally clicked for him senior year. Took 77 threes his senior year after only attempting 85 in his first 3 years. Made them at a 40% clip senior year too.

Oh and he worked his ass off in the gym to go from around a 55% FT shooter his freshman year to an 86% FT shooter his senior year. Stan Jones is the free throw doctor.

Anyone who watched him for 4 years in Tallahassee knew a day like this was coming. Maybe not a 7-10 from 3 day, but a day where people learned his name. He was second only to Zion for FG% around the basket in something like the last 5 years in the ACC.

And you know who’s gonna have a very similar coming out party at some point in the next 1-2 years? Devin Vassell of the Spurs. Book it.
Not all surprised that the name you dropped is a Spurs name. They’re very good at identifying hidden gems and developing them. I have heard your take on Mann from other FSU fans. I love a story of athletes working on their craft and minimizing holes in their game. I know this, dude could play for me. If Kawhi walks, Clippers have a Mann (pun intended) that could slide right in and give them good play.

Reactions: GE Nole
Not all surprised that the name you dropped is a Spurs name. They’re very good at identifying hidden gems and developing them. I have heard your take on Mann from other FSU fans. I love a story of athletes working on their craft and minimizing holes in their game. I know this, dude could play for me. If Kawhi walks, Clippers have a Mann (pun intended) that could slide right in and give them good play.

You’re right on about the Spurs. Although Vassell wasn’t exactly a Diamond in the rough. He was out of high school—FSU was his only high major offer. He was down to us and North Florida lol. But after two years under Hamilton he was a star and was a lotto pick. Super high hoops IQ and will be an elite 3 and D guy.

If you’re interested, here’s a great piece on Terance Mann from right after he was drafted in the second round back in 2019. Basically describes what ended up happening for Mann’s impact if he got more confident in the three.

Reactions: iliketrafficlights
Not sure LA can beat Phoenix without Kawhi. But wow, this team is mentally tough. Almost impossible to think they are where they are considering how weak minded they were last season. Congrats to the Clippers.

Looks like Brooklyn -1.5. I think you’d be silly betting against KD at home tonight. Plus Harden should be a little more healthy.
Why is Harden going to be more healthy? Hamstrings require rest to heal. He’s put more wear on it now. He’s likely to have the same issues and they’re playing with fire until the hammy eventually pops again.

Why is Harden going to be more healthy? Hamstrings require rest to heal. He’s put more wear on it now. He’s likely to have the same issues and they’re playing with fire until the hammy eventually pops again.
I’m definitely not a doctor but all the talking heads seem to think it’s getting better. He looked better in the last game than game one. I just assume he will be a little better.

Not sure LA can beat Phoenix without Kawhi. But wow, this team is mentally tough. Almost impossible to think they are where they are considering how weak minded they were last season. Congrats to the Clippers.
After last night, I think the Clipps can beat the suns. It’ll be a long series, but it almost seems like they thrive being down a couple games. Plus, PG13 is finally turning it on, and I think a lot of that has to do with him being “the guy” now that Kawhi is out.

How do you not pull gobert at some point wayching a 25 pt lead disappear. Idc if hes defesive POY or not. Just like doc rivers getting simmons out in the fourth, how can Snyder not see that.

And Kudos to Mann, he was amazing. Really the entire clippers team was just en fuego in the second half.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not a doctor but all the talking heads seem to think it’s getting better. He looked better in the last game than game one. I just assume he will be a little better.
I can see that. But I don’t know if it’s so much related to the injury being better as much as it is him playing himself back to speed. In Game 5 his 1st half to 2nd half was night and day. He’s a tremendous player. Not saying he can’t be great. I’m just not buying how the injury would be “improving”. It’s not going to be better until his season is over. The question becomes is an 80% Harden and KD enough to get it done. The game is at Brooklyn and role guys are usually better at home. They’ll need one of Harris, Green, Griffin to become a third scorer to post a 15-18 point game as well.

Reactions: JimboBBN
After last night, I think the Clipps can beat the suns. It’ll be a long series, but it almost seems like they thrive being down a couple games. Plus, PG13 is finally turning it on, and I think a lot of that has to do with him being “the guy” now that Kawhi is out.
It’s insane how they’ve been able to close games this postseason. Miles ahead from last season. And you’re right, most of it has to do with Playoff P.

Reactions: GE Nole and UL_1986
I think the issue handicapping this series is how long will CP3 miss. Will it be one or two games or does he not get on the floor until game 4 or 5? Suns are night and day different with CP3. A matchup that could loom large here is Ayton. Clip have looked best playing small ball with Batum. I don’t think they can get away with that matched up vs Ayton. This means more Zubac and that’s a guy who can’t space for them and doesn’t really give them an offensive presence as a big man either.

I think the issue handicapping this series is how long will CP3 miss. Will it be one or two games or does he not get on the floor until game 4 or 5? Suns are night and day different with CP3. A matchup that could loom large here is Ayton. Clip have looked best playing small ball with Batum. I don’t think they can get away with that matched up vs Ayton. This means more Zubac and that’s a guy who can’t space for them and doesn’t really give them an offensive presence as a big man either.
If CP3 misses more than a couple, it’s a wrap imo. He controls tempo for PHX.

Reactions: iliketrafficlights
If CP3 misses more than a couple, it’s a wrap imo. He controls tempo for PHX.
You can’t understate the impact he has had on that team. He was the integral piece in unlocking their talent they had amassed in past drafts. Booker Ayton and Bridges have all evolved with him doing his thing. He’s a guy that truly makes all pieces better.

Reactions: UL_1986
Pathetic effort by everyone in a Hawks uniform except Trae.

Specifically, we lost this game because of Fraudonovich, Lou Will and FT shooting. Wasted a legendary performance from Trae.

There’s no doubt now that Trae is the best player in this series.

Pathetic effort by everyone in a Hawks uniform except Trae.

Specifically, we lost this game because of Fraudonovich, Lou Will and FT shooting. Wasted a legendary performance from Trae.

There’s no doubt now that Trae is the best player in this series.
Rat boy had it going on last night. This series has been odd. Conventional wisdom says that role players are better at home and yet I feel like the Hawks role guys have been more impressive and more impactful in Philly. Hoerter and Bogi shooting in Game 1. John Collins energy and offensive boards in Game 5. Maxey giving great minutes last night in Atlanta. Kind of weird. Young has been great. At the same time, it’s pretty easy to hold down an Embiid when officials allow him to be mugged all over the floor. Last night was ridiculous. How does a team built on playing in the paint and scored more in the paint last night come out of the first half without a single foul shot for Embiid, who went to the line more than any other player in the league this year? It’s not like Capela can play him without fouling.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
It definitely appears Batman PG13 >> Robin PG13

Proud of Donovan Mitchell man, dude put it all out on the line. Averaged 33 points a game in the playoffs... 6 assists and 5 rebounds on 45% fg shooting and 44% 3 point shooting. Dude is unreal, and I’m starting to think Utah doesn’t deserve him.

Proud of Donovan Mitchell man, dude put it all out on the line. Averaged 33 points a game in the playoffs... 6 assists and 5 rebounds on 45% fg shooting and 44% 3 point shooting. Dude is unreal, and I’m starting to think Utah doesn’t deserve him.
He played hurt right? He is a good dude that is for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT