ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

Kawhi may miss the rest of the Jazz series, ESPN is reporting. Devastating loss for the Clippers if that's the case.
Sucks, dude. I've been openly rooting for the Clippers and Nets. Not sure LA stands a chance without Leonard. Also looks like Paul could be out the whole WCF

Sucks, dude. I've been openly rooting for the Clippers and Nets. Not sure LA stands a chance without Leonard. Also looks like Paul could be out the whole WCF

I wasn't really rooting for the Clippers but as a basketball fan, you don't want to see teams advance because of injuries.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I know I'm looking ahead as neither series is over but the Nets vs. Sixers would be two banged up teams in the East Finals. Embiid clearly hasn't been 100% but he's so talented that even 80% is better than most players.

I agree, the idea of our Atlanta Hawks playing in the NBA finals this year is starting to look like a real possibility, not just a pipe dream.

The first 5 minutes of the Sixers game tonight is big. After watching game 4 Embiid I’m not sure what player shows up tonight. I think they can still win with a hobbled Embiid but they can’t keep feeding him on the block every trip if he doesn’t have it like they did in Game 4. I also want to see better substitution patterns for the Danny Green spot. I had no problem starting Korkmaz but other guys should have gotten more minutes with the top group. It shouldn’t work because of Simmons and Thybulle not being able to score the ball with consistency but the first group’s best minutes came with Thybulle in that group.

I'm already staring at the clock hoping it reads 6:30 so we can get this show on the road. At this point I have no idea what to expect. I honestly wouldn't be surprised by any type of game tonight...blowout win, blowout loss, OT thriller...any of those could be in the cards tonight.

Can't believe we are at this point. 2-2 series with the #1 seed. The opportunity is there for us, just have to grab it.

I'm already staring at the clock hoping it reads 6:30 so we can get this show on the road. At this point I have no idea what to expect. I honestly wouldn't be surprised by any type of game tonight...blowout win, blowout loss, OT thriller...any of those could be in the cards tonight.

Can't believe we are at this point. 2-2 series with the #1 seed. The opportunity is there for us, just have to grab it.
Hawks season has absolutely been a success. I have to say though, watching your boy from afar I was more impressed than actually seeing him in the series. He is a major foul hunter and berates officials all game long. Even stars who have earned the right to do that don't berate officials to the extent that he does.

Reactions: duckboy33
Hawks season has absolutely been a success. I have to say though, watching your boy from afar I was more impressed than actually seeing him in the series. He is a major foul hunter and berates officials all game long. Even stars who have earned the right to do that don't berate officials to the extent that he does.

Nate McMillan deserves a lot of credit for how he turned the Hawks' season around

Reactions: iliketrafficlights
Nate McMillan deserves a lot of credit for how he turned the Hawks' season around
They should be working toward making him the permanent head coach. They may need to add a guy to the staff that can help him teach defensive principles. Some of the stuff they've been doing in this series defensively is not a product of the personnel but rather the scheme and plan. Game 3 they doubled Embiid in some very strange spots where he isn't really a threat to score. It really helped the other Sixers get off.

Foul hunting is a positive, not a negative. It's an elite level skill that takes advantage of defensive positioning mistakes. Flopping like your 285 pound center does is actually disgusting and an insult to the game and sporting in general. Players who flop should be treated like soccer players who flop where the other team will stand over him berating him and pulling him up off the ground.

In regard to the complaining to the refs, he actually scaled that way back this year. But, in this series he has definitely let the refs get to him and has complained way too much. It's no big deal, just a sign of youth and immaturity. I'm confident it will be out of his game entirely within a few years.

CP3 out indefinitely with COVID protocol. Did he get vaccinated? If he didn't he might be out up to 14 days. Major blow for the Suns.

In defense of some of these "younger" guys that seem to be pissing fans off with how they play. They are, IMO just a piece of how the game is played overall in most circles? It's not like these guys created this style, they've learned it?

Foul hunting is a positive, not a negative. It's an elite level skill that takes advantage of defensive positioning mistakes. Flopping like your 285 pound center does is actually disgusting and an insult to the game and sporting in general. Players who flop should be treated like soccer players who flop where the other team will stand over him berating him and pulling him up off the ground.

In regard to the complaining to the refs, he actually scaled that way back this year. But, in this series he has definitely let the refs get to him and has complained way too much. It's no big deal, just a sign of youth and immaturity. I'm confident it will be out of his game entirely within a few years.
Holy ****! This is scaled back? And we did this before and will have to agree to disagree. It's not a basketball move when a player is on another player's hip and the player with the ball jumps away from the basket into a defender. Holy shit! Can you imagine if they allowed a guy like Iverson to do that when he played? Dude would have gone to the line 20 times a game. It's just not basketball and the league office agrees with me as they are addressing it next year. I will give you Embiid being a whiner and embellishes to get calls. But when he does that, it's actually in the context of a basketball move. I will also say that the guy who finished 2nd in the MVP race and has multiple seasons on the All NBA teams has earned the right to embellish fouls and lobby officials. Trae Young hasn't earned that right.

In defense of some of these "younger" guys that seem to be pissing fans off with how they play. They are, IMO just a piece of how the game is played overall in most circles? It's not like these guys created this style, they've learned it?
Fair point. At the same time, that just adds more need for the league to step in and legislate the practice out of the game.

Fair point. At the same time, that just adds more need for the league to step in and legislate the practice out of the game.

I agree that the league should stop giving these guys those foul calls because it's not good for the game. However, I disagree that certain players have "earned" the right to get more foul calls. A foul is a foul, regardless of who the offensive player is.

I agree that the league should stop giving these guys those foul calls because it's not good for the game. However, I disagree that certain players have "earned" the right to get more foul calls. A foul is a foul, regardless of who the offensive player is.
In theory, that's fair. But you can't ignore how basketball has been officiated for decades. Stars get calls. It is what it is. Stars get more leeway when "conversing" with officials as well. The same arm flailing and histrionics that LeBron does on the court at the officials will draw a T from most other players.

Reactions: duckboy33
In theory, that's fair. But you can't ignore how basketball has been officiated for decades. Stars get calls. It is what it is. Stars get more leeway when "conversing" with officials as well. The same arm flailing and histrionics that LeBron does on the court at the officials will draw a T from most other players.

I agree but I think that's also something the league should be focusing on, not just the guys hunting for fouls

Holy ****! This is scaled back? And we did this before and will have to agree to disagree. It's not a basketball move when a player is on another player's hip and the player with the ball jumps away from the basket into a defender. Holy shit! Can you imagine if they allowed a guy like Iverson to do that when he played? Dude would have gone to the line 20 times a game. It's just not basketball and the league office agrees with me as they are addressing it next year. I will give you Embiid being a whiner and embellishes to get calls. But when he does that, it's actually in the context of a basketball move. I will also say that the guy who finished 2nd in the MVP race and has multiple seasons on the All NBA teams has earned the right to embellish fouls and lobby officials. Trae Young hasn't earned that right.

When Trae gets by a guy and then feels him trailing too closely and responds by stopping on a dime and raising up for a shot, how is that "not basketball"? Or pump faking, getting a guy caught jumping in the air towards you and then jumping towards the basket and into the player, how is that "not basketball".

"not basketball" is when Embiid gets touched and collapses to the ground quicker than that Danish soccer player.

Trae doesn't kick is legs out at defenders when he shoots. He doesn't flop after contact.

League can change the rules all they want, Trae will still get his calls unless the league wants to make it illegal to stop and pull up for a jump shot or rules that all fadeaway jumpers are now illegal.

When Trae gets by a guy and then feels him trailing too closely and responds by stopping on a dime and raising up for a shot, how is that "not basketball"? Or pump faking, getting a guy caught jumping in the air towards you and then jumping towards the basket and into the player, how is that "not basketball".

"not basketball" is when Embiid gets touched and collapses to the ground quicker than that Danish soccer player.

Trae doesn't kick is legs out at defenders when he shoots. He doesn't flop after contact.

League can change the rules all they want, Trae will still get his calls unless the league wants to make it illegal to stop and pull up for a jump shot or rules that all fadeaway jumpers are now illegal.
Your two examples look nothing like the two fouls called on Thybulle earlier in this series where Thybulle is even with Young at his hip. The basket is straight ahead and in both cases he jumps to his right into Thybulle. I’m obviously not the first dude you’ve heard talk about this. There are whole YouTube videos dedicated to Trae Young doing this nonsense. And yes, when Embiid gets bumped he will fall to the floor…just like every other guard in the league. It looks odd because he’s 7’2’’. What he does is what people have been doing for years. It’s just uncommon to see it from a guy that size.

Your two examples look nothing like the two fouls called on Thybulle earlier in this series where Thybulle is even with Young at his hip. The basket is straight ahead and in both cases he jumps to his right into Thybulle. I’m obviously not the first dude you’ve heard talk about this. There are whole YouTube videos dedicated to Trae Young doing this nonsense. And yes, when Embiid gets bumped he will fall to the floor…just like every other guard in the league. It looks odd because he’s 7’2’’. What he does is what people have been doing for years. It’s just uncommon to see it from a guy that size.

I don't agree that he jumped into Thybulle. He felt Thybulle on him and he raised up to shoot and actually jumps away from the defender to free himself from the contact.

• Haha
I don't agree that he jumped into Thybulle. He felt Thybulle on him and he raised up to shoot and actually jumps away from the defender to free himself from the contact.
Haha! Whatever dude. I provided video a few days ago. He absolutely jumps into Thybulle. A defender has a right to play defense without offensive guys jumping into their path as they track a ball handler. If that’s the standard just bag it all and have foul shooting contests.

Haha! Whatever dude. I provided video a few days ago. He absolutely jumps into Thybulle. A defender has a right to play defense without offensive guys jumping into their path as they track a ball handler. If that’s the standard just bag it all and have foul shooting contests.

defender has right to play defense, but not put a hand on the offensive player or bump him off his path with body contact.

defender has right to play defense, but not put a hand on the offensive player or bump him off his path with body contact.
Where does Thybulle put hands on Young here? The contact is initiated with Young jumping into him. Thybulle doesn’t divert from his path and Young jumps into him to create contact. This is indefensible bro.

Where does Thybulle put hands on Young here? The contact is initiated with Young jumping into him. Thybulle doesn’t divert from his path and Young jumps into him to create contact. This is indefensible bro.

On the one on the left before Trae jumps, Thybulle clearly puts his left arm on him in a way that is meant to block Trae from cutting towards the hoop.

The one on the right, the foul is for the follow through hitting Trae on the head. Not the strongest call in the world, but so what, it's one call. There are probably 5x as many phantom or barely got touched calls that have gone Embiid's way in this series.

• Haha
On the one on the left before Trae jumps, Thybulle clearly puts his left arm on him in a way that is meant to block Trae from cutting towards the hoop.

The one on the right, the foul is for the follow through hitting Trae on the head. Not the strongest call in the world, but so what, it's one call. There are probably 5x as many phantom or barely got touched calls that have gone Embiid's way in this series.
There hasn’t been a single call to Embiid’s benefit in this series that wasn’t a foul. I’ll agree with you that he embellishes the contact to get the whistle but that’s also a product of the way people mugged him for years with no calls. Now he embellishes legit foul calls. The Internet is vast. I’m sure if there are whistles in this series that benefitted Embiid that isn’t a fool you could bring it to the table as I have done.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
There hasn’t been a single call to Embiid’s benefit in this series that wasn’t a foul. I’ll agree with you that he embellishes the contact to get the whistle but that’s also a product of the way people mugged him for years with no calls. Now he embellishes legit foul calls. The Internet is vast. I’m sure if there are whistles in this series that benefitted Embiid that isn’t a fool you could bring it to the table as I have done.
🤣 🤣 🤣

My turn: There hasn't been a single call to Trae's benefit in this series that wasn't a foul.

no you didn't.

b2346174cf3b6354f4c94caac584b2ed.gif

ADVERTISEMENT