ADVERTISEMENT

10-1 ACC

Not really a “quality loss” anymore. As they’ve dropped 8 games this year and are .500 in their conference.
Wait, didn't OSU beat U of L in that secret scrimmage prior to the start of the season?

Also, when UK lost to OSU, it was December and OSU was rolling. Yeah, they went on a slide, but that's not a bad loss.

That's like saying your loss to Texas Tech was a bad loss.

Wait, didn't OSU beat U of L in that secret scrimmage prior to the start of the season?

Also, when UK lost to OSU, it was December and OSU was rolling. Yeah, they went on a slide, but that's not a bad loss.

Tbh no loss is a good loss this year.

And the tech loss wasn’t a good loss either if we’re being honest.

And the tech loss wasn’t a good loss either if we’re being honest.
I think we have different ideas of what a bad loss is.

Utah, on any court, is a bad loss. Same for teams like Vanderbilt, Northwestern or Georgia Tech.

Evansville is a devastatingly horrible loss.

I guess I don't look at Clemson or South Carolina on the road (both games) as bad losses. Both teams have other impressive wins. Hell, South Carolina won @UVA and @Clemson, so losing at USCjr isn't a bad loss.

And there's no way in hell a loss to #5 Ohio State in Vegas is a bad loss. Yeah, they went on a long downswing, but at that time, they were a legit top 5 team. There's no shame in losing that game.

I think we have different ideas of what a bad loss is.

Utah, on any court, is a bad loss. Same for teams like Vanderbilt, Northwestern or Georgia Tech.

Evansville is a devastatingly horrible loss.

I guess I don't look at Clemson or South Carolina on the road (both games) as bad losses. Both teams have other impressive wins. Hell, South Carolina won @UVA and @Clemson, so losing at USCjr isn't a bad loss.

And there's no way in hell a loss to #5 Ohio State in Vegas is a bad loss. Yeah, they went on a long downswing, but at that time, they were a legit top 5 team. There's no shame in losing that game.
I don’t disagree, however I remember a certain fanbase claiming our win against Michigan, who was ranked 4th at the time isn’t a good win anymore, because they’ve fell out of the top 25.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don’t disagree, however I remember a certain fanbase claiming our win against Michigan, who was ranked 4th at the time isn’t a good win anymore, because they’ve fell out of the top 25.
Haha, you know, the BBN doesn’t all get together and vote, then have a spokesperson report how we all feel.

I think what you saw was a couple of UK fans trying to get under your skin.

There are 3 or 4 Louisville fans on this board that do that same thing.

Reactions: UL_1986
14-3 in ACC
23-5 overall

Today’s stats:

Nwora 18 & 11 (rebounds)
Malik Williams 17 & 9 (rebounds)
Sutton 8 & 9 (rebounds)
DJ 9 and 5 (assists)

Reactions: KerryRhodes
....U6 in late season free fall....
They"ll be fine. It's hard to have a 48 hour turnaround vs a deep, athletic team like FSU.

Their lack of consistent guard play will be their undoing in the tournament most likely but they're in the same boat as a lot of the other top teams besides Kansas and Baylor.

They"ll be fine. It's hard to have a 48 hour turnaround vs a deep, athletic team like FSU.

Their lack of consistent guard play will be their undoing in the tournament most likely but they're in the same boat as a lot of the other top teams besides Kansas and Baylor.
They'll live and die with Nwora. He is really impressively absent in long stretches, very bizarre.

Unfortunately he got hurt 4 or5 possession into the game smh. Not sayin we woulda won had he not but it would have been a different game.
he was talking ish to Forrest in the Handshake line along the lines of "we'll get you next game" and Trent just pointed to the scoreboard. No doubt it would have changed the complexion of the game, but our guard play is what really gave you fits. We've played most of the season without a full compliment of players and had some losses that were impacted by that, especially the UVA game without Williams and Pitt with Dom. I hope he doesn't miss too much time, I'm not a conference rah-rah guy but, financially the more teams that advance in the tourney the better.

Reactions: JC for 3
He’s mentally soft. Completely ghosts when his shot isn’t falling. It will hurt his draft stock.
Maybe, he has a complete offensive game so I think someone will draft him relatively high. I just don't get how he looks so locked in then not, because he has the type of offensive game that defeats great defense no matter what you do.

Maybe, he has a complete offensive game so I think someone will draft him relatively high. I just don't get how he looks so locked in then not, because he has the type of offensive game that defeats great defense no matter what you do.
Yeah idk, he’s never 100% locked in, and his motor isn’t really that great. I feel like that will hurt him in the NBA, especially when other guys are giving it 110%. I like Jordan, but you can see it written all over his face when he’s having a bad game, it affects every facet of his play...and ultimately leads to our downfall. It is what it is at this point. We have two regular season games left. I’m impressed with how Mack has tried to manage this teams shortcomings.

he was talking ish to Forrest in the Handshake line along the lines of "we'll get you next game" and Trent just pointed to the scoreboard. No doubt it would have changed the complexion of the game, but our guard play is what really gave you fits. We've played most of the season without a full compliment of players and had some losses that were impacted by that, especially the UVA game without Williams and Pitt with Dom. I hope he doesn't miss too much time, I'm not a conference rah-rah guy but, financially the more teams that advance in the tourney the better.

Saw that....and laughed. From "Write it down" Sutton to this doofus, they thrive in running yap when getting beat.

Saw that....and laughed. From "Write it down" Sutton to this doofus, they thrive in running yap when getting beat.
They came out spirited and were making the right passes, making shots. Depth just wore them down, as did some of the foul trouble and injuries. This could be developing into a real rivalry, despite the lack of historical accomplishments for FSU.

Williams tweaks his ankle and is out for the game.

MJ tweaks his, sits, locker room and comes back, fights through it.

Maybe that is the difference in the game.

Williams tweaks his ankle and is out for the game.

MJ tweaks his, sits, locker room and comes back, fights through it.

Maybe that is the difference in the game.
Naw we just got outplayed, and stopped running plays in the second half.

Naw we just got outplayed, and stopped running plays in the second half.
We do a good job of making most designed plays fall apart with our switching. Louisville seemed to have a plan early on that negated that, but I think the energy level was the issue. For a good part of the second half, we had 4 subs and a starter on the floor, whereas UL had 4 starters and one sub. And we were winning with that lineup as far as +/-. I think Williams "tweak" was pretty good considering the way the trainer was explaining to the assistant the status.

We do a good job of making most designed plays fall apart with our switching. Louisville seemed to have a plan early on that negated that, but I think the energy level was the issue. For a good part of the second half, we had 4 subs and a starter on the floor, whereas UL had 4 starters and one sub. And we were winning with that lineup as far as +/-. I think Williams "tweak" was pretty good considering the way the trainer was explaining to the assistant the status.
For sure, it also helps that your guards were shooting over Kimble and RM with ease. Regardless, good win. Y’all deserved the dub even if we had Malik I still think we would’ve lost. Not by 15, but probably by 6-8.

For sure, it also helps that your guards were shooting over Kimble and RM with ease. Regardless, good win. Y’all deserved the dub even if we had Malik I still think we would’ve lost. Not by 15, but probably by 6-8.
Yeah, it was the main reason that I felt we would still do well against you. Even though Johnson has improved your team, he isn't the best defender and people didn't grow in the last month. Our size is a major strength. I was surprised we didn't force more turnovers in the 1st half, so credit to you guys. It was key in the second half, and really is the key to our season. We aren't as good defensively at the rim as some team in the last 10 years, but we are better in the other 85 feet of the floor than we've ever been. I'll take that trade, because we've just become very dynamic in transition. I think a team with a stretch 4 or 5 is the best possibility for beating us, along with guards that finish over length.

UVA beat FSU and our starting PG is ****ing 5'9.
Clark also embellishes contact in a way that makes our physicality be neutralized a bit. It is a smart play by him but it also is difficult to referee. I'd like to see UVA again in the ACCT, because we didn't have Williams last game and I think he neutralizes some of what UVA does defensively with his ability to finish around the rim and create second chances.

Yeah, it was the main reason that I felt we would still do well against you. Even though Johnson has improved your team, he isn't the best defender and people didn't grow in the last month. Our size is a major strength. I was surprised we didn't force more turnovers in the 1st half, so credit to you guys. It was key in the second half, and really is the key to our season. We aren't as good defensively at the rim as some team in the last 10 years, but we are better in the other 85 feet of the floor than we've ever been. I'll take that trade, because we've just become very dynamic in transition. I think a team with a stretch 4 or 5 is the best possibility for beating us, along with guards that finish over length.
Your guys ball pressure is elite. Midway through the second half we couldn’t buy a shot or even run a play. Every trip down the floor was a turnover from Fresh or DJ. With DJ it’s freshman growing pains, he’ll get better. But 6 turnovers killed us.

Clark also embellishes contact in a way that makes our physicality be neutralized a bit. It is a smart play by him but it also is difficult to referee. I'd like to see UVA again in the ACCT, because we didn't have Williams last game and I think he neutralizes some of what UVA does defensively with his ability to finish around the rim and create second chances.

No doubt you're the better team this year. You'd probably win 7 out of 10. I'm just saying you can beat FSU even if you have a size disadvantage at guard. Louisville lost because FSU abused McMahon when they had the ball and Louisville's offense was complete interrupted by FSU's defense. Louisville ran iso offense the entire game. They just hit shots in the 1st half.

No doubt you're the better team this year. You'd probably win 7 out of 10. I'm just saying you can beat FSU even if you have a size disadvantage at guard. Louisville lost because FSU abused McMahon when they had the ball and Louisville's offense was complete interrupted by FSU's defense. Louisville ran iso offense the entire game. They just hit shots in the 1st half.
Not disagreeing at all, our half court sets in the second half were atrocious. Hero ball.

Reactions: jhmossy
Anytime a team has an undersized guard, my philosophy is to attack them on the offensive end. Put them in a position to either foul or force a double team to then gain an advantage. Clark, McMahon, Lykes, they all are targets and integral parts to their team that you have to force into playing really hard defensively to try and neutralize their impact on the game. Clark doesn't foul much, and UVA in general doesn't, but he is still someone that we can elevate over in the post and get a shot off against. But he does maintain his dribble pretty well which created problems for us. We have a nice zone that we now employ, which I think would help against UVA, even though they have started to shoot the ball better.

Your guys ball pressure is elite. Midway through the second half we couldn’t buy a shot or even run a play. Every trip down the floor was a turnover from Fresh or DJ. With DJ it’s freshman growing pains, he’ll get better. But 6 turnovers killed us.
If we get a lead in the second half, the pressure just drains the opponent. We give up some transition plays from time to time, but it speeds people up and wears them down. I don't always like when we overplay in the backcourt because I think I would just rather force someone to execute against the pressure for a full 90 feet, instead of getting out of position and allowing a wide open 3 or a layup. But, Hamilton has figured something out lol

Anytime a team has an undersized guard, my philosophy is to attack them on the offensive end. Put them in a position to either foul or force a double team to then gain an advantage. Clark, McMahon, Lykes, they all are targets and integral parts to their team that you have to force into playing really hard defensively to try and neutralize their impact on the game. Clark doesn't foul much, and UVA in general doesn't, but he is still someone that we can elevate over in the post and get a shot off against. But he does maintain his dribble pretty well which created problems for us. We have a nice zone that we now employ, which I think would help against UVA, even though they have started to shoot the ball better.

Yeah Nichols abused him last year in the ACC tournament. Our other guards are pretty big and we can match up decently there. I do agree that switching to the zone would add in a nice wrinkle against us if we play again. I'd be perfectly fine not seeing FSU again, although I think we match up better with FSU than a lot of other ACC teams.

Reactions: kelley2403
Yeah Nichols abused him last year in the ACC tournament. Our other guards are pretty big and we can match up decently there. I do agree that switching to the zone would add in a nice wrinkle against us if we play again. I'd be perfectly fine not seeing FSU again, although I think we match up better with FSU than a lot of other ACC teams.
Yes, the games have been pretty even over the last 4 years or so. We're just the complete opposites in philosophy and it is an intriguing game of chess. We have never been a team that really does a great job attacking the post, although we've gotten better. That's really how you have to attack UVA. Get the ball inside and then bring that post double and go from there. In some capacity, I would not complain if our seeding in the ACCT was in the other side of the bracket from UVA, so getting the 2 or 3 would not be the worst thing. Would not be shocked at all if they make it to the championship, although that would mean they beat Duke in all likelihood

UVA beat FSU and our starting PG is ****ing 5'9.

Regardless of size, speed and quickness still kills. FSU is slow to stop the dribble penetration most games.

bignish- FSU was working on the same short turn around. But as you said...depth is better.

ADVERTISEMENT