ADVERTISEMENT

Your Team's All-Decade Starting 5

I would find a way to add Tyus Jones in there somewhere. He was just too damn good in his year at Duke to leave out IMO.

Nish, I like this. Singler is tough to leave off, as are Tyus and Jah... could Kyle take Justise’s spot? But hard to argue against Jon and Nolan. Marvin was SO good (although I saw someone picked Carter, and man I don’t mind that pick at all.)
Duke fans seem to have a romanticized memory of Tyus due to his heroics in our most recent championship but a senior Scheyer was just plain better than Tyus as a frosh imo.

Scheyer was a beast too in the NCAAT too lest we forget:

Baylor in the Elite 8: 20 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
WVU in the Final 4: 23 points, 6 assists, no turnovers, 2 steals
He scored 5 of the last 10 points for Duke vs Butler in the Final.

While I love Tyus its hard to put him on this list over Scheyer or Kyrie (just talent based).

Reactions: TheDude1
While I love Tyus its hard to put him on this list over Scheyer or Kyrie (just talent based).
You had a good post until you posted this. You argued stats why one guy should be on the team, fair enough, then you went and said Tyus shouldn't be ahead because of a guy who played 11 games at Duke was more talented? Kyrie may be Duke's most talented but results mean a lot more than potential when talking about all decade teams.

Reactions: Mac9192
Reactions: JimboBBN
Here's another little nugget. Most win shares in a single season this decade:

Anthony Davis, Kentucky: 9.93
Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin: 9.79
Jon Scheyer, Duke: 9.74
Kemba Walker, UConn: 9.68

Scheyer was up there with some all-time great college basketball players.
AD, the best player of the decade in college hoops

Here's another little nugget. Most win shares in a single season this decade:

Anthony Davis, Kentucky: 9.93
Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin: 9.79
Jon Scheyer, Duke: 9.74

Kemba Walker, UConn: 9.68

Scheyer was up there with some all-time great college basketball players.

giphy.gif

You had a good post until you posted this. You argued stats why one guy should be on the team, fair enough, then you went and said Tyus shouldn't be ahead because of a guy who played 11 games at Duke was more talented? Kyrie may be Duke's most talented but results mean a lot more than potential when talking about all decade teams.
Let me rephrase, I can see someone putting Kyrie because they simply want the most talented starting 5 on their All-Decade team regardless of fit, accomplishments, stats, etc. I think we saw, or at least I saw, enough out of Kyrie in 11 games to say that he in those games was better than even peak Scheyer due to just sheer immense talent, though we never saw that manifest over a full season. However, I think Scheyer would be a more seamless fit with the rest of the squad from a team building stand point and with his experience at least as a senior over a frosh Kyrie (as we saw with Nolan going MIA when Kyrie came back vs Zona).

Tyus just falls in this awkward grey area between Scheyer and Kyrie where he's not as talented as Kyrie but not as accomplished stats wise as Scheyer.

I’m not sure if I would take Kyrie over Tyus, but Kyrie is obviously more talented, no matter how many games they each played or how the overall team achieved, no? The argument that Jon was more accomplished in terms of stats and the like, and Kyrie was simply more talented, makes sense to me. Tyus obviously has a title and the onions, but I think Kyrie had as much an impact on our results as you could ask from a single player... in that game against Arizona he scored 28 on 64% shooting from two and 50% from three... it was the rest of the team that cost us that game. I get that you may not include him because he was injured during part of the season, but I also get why Nish would include Kyrie over Tyus.

AD, the best player of the decade in college hoops

Second best, according to the experts.

I’m not sure if I would take Kyrie over Tyus, but Kyrie is obviously more talented, no matter how many games they each played or how the overall team achieved, no? The argument that Jon was more accomplished in terms of stats and the like, and Kyrie was simply more talented, makes sense to me. Tyus obviously has a title and the onions, but I think Kyrie had as much an impact on our results as you could ask from a single player... in that game against Arizona he scored 28 on 64% shooting from two and 50% from three... it was the rest of the team that cost us that game. I get that you may not include him because he was injured during part of the season, but I also get why Nish would include Kyrie over Tyus.

Second best, according to the experts.
I’m more expert than anyone on college basketball

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Nish, I like this. Singler is tough to leave off, as are Tyus and Jah... could Kyle take Justise’s spot? But hard to argue against Jon and Nolan. Marvin was SO good (although I saw someone picked Carter, and man I don’t mind that pick at all.)
I went with Carter over Bagley. Carter was much better defensively. We didn’t get to really see what Wendell could do.

I went with Carter over Bagley. Carter was much better defensively. We didn’t get to really see what Wendell could do.

He was FANTASTIC... really underappreciated by everyone, I think. Really good defender, as you say.

Reactions: Mac9192
I’d take Mo Wagner over Teske

Tim Hardaway Jr?

Not me. We already have enough scoring so I’d rather Teske’s defense over Mo.

And what about him THJ? I can only pick 5. I’d rather have Stauskas and LeVert. Quit acting like my picks are controversial. They aren’t, even if you disagree.

Not me. We already have enough scoring so I’d rather Teske’s defense over Mo.

And what about him THJ? I can only pick 5. I’d rather have Stauskas and LeVert. Quit acting like my picks are controversial. They aren’t, even if you disagree.

Just brain storming. Not questioning. I’d still take Mo though.

You had two entirely different teams play in the championship game. It would be weird to only pick 5 guys and everyone agree.

Last edited:
Just brain storming. Not questioning. I’d still take Mo though.

We have had a lot of really good players.

Team 1:
PG: Trey Burke
SG: Nik Stauskas
SF: Caris LeVert
PF: Glenn Robinson III
C: Jon Teske

Team 2:
PG: Zavier Simpson
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: Charles Matthews
PF: Iggy Brazdeikas
C: Moe Wagner

Team 3:
PG: Derrick Walton Jr.
SG: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman
SF: Zak Novak
PF: D.J. Wilson
C: Mitch McGary

Reactions: Montana81
We have had a lot of really good players.

Team 1:
PG: Trey Burke
SG: Nik Stauskas
SF: Caris LeVert
PF: Glenn Robinson III
C: Jon Teske

Team 2:
PG: Zavier Simpson
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: Charles Matthews
PF: Iggy Brazdeikas
C: Moe Wagner

Team 3:
PG: Derrick Walton Jr.
SG: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman
SF: Zak Novak
PF: D.J. Wilson
C: Mitch McGary

I was thinking Walton as the second point guard.

I tried to build these like real teams as much as possible.

Purdue:

Team 1 (Years played in 10s):
Carsen Edwards (16-19)
E'Twaun Moore (10-11)
Robbie Hummel (10-12)
Caleb Swanigan (15-17)
JaJuan Johnson (10-11)

Team 2:
Chris Kramer (10)
Ryan Cline (15-19)
Dakota Mathias (14-18)
Vincent Edwards (14-18)
AJ Hammons (12-16)

Team 3:
Lewis Jackson (10-12)
Rapheal Davis (12-16)
Terone Johnson (10-14)
Matt Haarms (17-19)
Isaac Haas (14-18)

PG-Kendall Marshall (tough call over Joel Berry)
SG-Cam Johnson
SF-Harrison Barnes (tough call over Theo Pinson)
PF-Brice Johnson (tough call over Henson)
C-Tyler Zeller (tough call over Kennedy Meeks)
Easily Henson over Johnson and Justin Jackson over Cam as well.

Otherwise, pretty good. Marshall over White was the tough call. Not Berry. Though Berry was great.

The easy picks:
PG- Carter-Williams
SG- Waiters
C- Christmas

This is going by each player at their college best. For instance, Triche at SG was the winningest player in Cuse history but Waiters at his best was obviously better. And Christmas had a mediocre career but was unstoppable as a Senior.

Forward is where it gets tricky, a) because there’s a lot of parity, b) because we had a lot of Forwards end up playing Guard, c) this current season counts as part of the decade and Eli Hughes is looking like a baller.

I’ll go with:
F- CJ Fair
G/F- Gbinije

Id love to us go triple threat towers down low. Davis Towns and Cousins. Wall and Monk up top. One to slash and distribute, one to jack up shots.

OG Anunoby? Are we talking college or NBA?
People forget about how much he excelled at all of the little things when he was on the court. Since you're not a IU fan, it's understandable why you'd not agree with this. Crean did a disastrous job of getting him the minutes his talent deserved during his freshman year. Then, he blew out his knee right at the star of the B1G season. So, you never saw him really play much against your team.

But, his freshman year I'd guess he averaged under 15 minutes a game (without looking). But, the second he would come into the game, it always seemed like balls would just start bouncing IU's way.

1 Frank Mason
2 Devonte Graham
3 Dedric Lawson / Wiggins
4 T Rob
5 Embiid

First team:
AD
Wall
Murray
Townes
Cuz

Second team:
Ulis
MKG
Knight
Fox
Randle

Third team:
Patrick Patterson
Monk
Noel
Bam Adebayo
Bledsoe

Those are who I think the top 3 tiers are, those aren't best teams, that is my idea of who the top 15 players are.
If I'm going best team, I'd do:
Wall
Murray
Randle
AD
Townes

Bench:
Fox
Ulis
Monk
MKG
Cousins

I hate putting Noel on the 3rd team and not in the line-up/ bench above, he's one of my fav's, but the other guys showed more in college for obvious reasons.

for Iowa
PG Gessel #6 Cartwright
SG Jok #7 Jordan
WG Marble #8 Wieskamp
PF White #9 Cole
C Garza #10 Woodbury

E'Twaun Moore
Carsen Edwards
JaJuan Johnson
Robbie Hummel
Caleb Swanigan

Bench: