ADVERTISEMENT

Will this NCAA Tourney be the best ever?

WestTexasRaider

Feb 2, 2016
...When it comes to the craziness of March Madness? There just seems to be a lot of upsets and better overall parity with teams this year. The big boys are struggling and home court advantage is non existent. Now, the whole tourney is being played in a bubble style event.

Yes, Gonzaga and Baylor look to be front runners but for the rest of the field it looks like madness. And even those two teams are not immune to having a bad game.

This could be one incredible ride and since we didn't get one last year, I feel like this year will be special.

Reactions: cdbearde
Not without packed arenas. Nothing better than 16,000 people rooting on the 13 seed as they try and upset the established 4 seed.
This.....Having no fans just kills it. Even as an official, it just takes so much away. I haven't worked a single HS or college game this year where I looked forward to working...Especially at the HS level. There is nothing better than working a Indiana HS game on a Friday night....gym packed, band playing.....smell of the popcorn,etc, etc....Had a HS game last night. Under normal circumstances this game would have been a sell-out-----4,500 hundred people. Instead----there was maybe 400 there.

Shit sucks.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This.....Having no fans just kills it. Even as an official, it just takes so much away. I haven't worked a single HS or college game this year where I looked forward to working...Especially at the HS level. There is nothing better than working a Indiana HS game on a Friday night....gym packed, band playing.....smell of the popcorn,etc, etc....Had a HS game last night. Under normal circumstances this game would have been a sell-out-----4,500 hundred people. Instead----there was maybe 400 there.

Shit sucks.
We’ve got two more months of vaccinations before March Madness happens. I’m praying that we can allow more fans in by mid March.

We’ve got two more months of vaccinations before March Madness happens. I’m praying that we can allow more fans in by mid March.
Me, too...I will probably be working the NAIA tourney...Obviously I will work the Indiana state tourney...Hopeful to have some fans...

It’ll be interesting with no fans because the officiating will be more fair.

I was just thinking the same thing. Our resident official just said in another thread that he no longer looks forward to going to work without the crowd there. That tells me they like the energy from the crowd. Well nothing gives the crowd more energy than their team leading.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how they handle the "bubble" sites, with the tournament being all in Indianapolis.

Kinda has an old school feel to it, as the schools use to host just about every round aside from the Final Four.
I wouldn’t be mad if they put some games in those legendary giant high school arenas. Maybe for the First Four games?

I was just thinking the same thing. Our resident official just said in another thread that he no longer looks forward to going to work without the crowd there. That tells me they like the energy from the crowd. Well nothing gives the crowd more energy than their team leading.
Ok---And?

The next sentence was my "and".
Oh, yeah. Weird though. One poster said the officiating would be more fair, due to the lack of fans...And you agreed.

Just checking.

I miss the fans. I miss the conversations you have with them. I miss the atmosphere. Rather it be a college or HS game. Gets the juices flowing...Empty gyms are depressing as ****. Takes away from the excitement...The juice, so to speak.

Nothing worse than working a game in a 12,000 seat arena, with 19 fukin people in attendance.

Oh, yeah. Weird though. One poster said the officiating would be more fair, due to the lack of fans...And you agreed.

Just checking.

I miss the fans. I miss the conversations you have with them. I miss the atmosphere. Rather it be a college or HS game. Gets the juices flowing...Empty gyms are depressing as ****. Takes away from the excitement...The juice, so to speak.

Nothing worse than working a game in a 12,000 seat arena, with 19 fukin people in attendance.
I think the only people that don't really care either way are coaches..... SmokinSmile

I can speak confidently as a coach that while playing a home game in front of your fans is great and all for motivation etc etc, it's mostly lip service, and I certainly am just fine with there not being fans on the road.

I think the only people that don't really care either way are coaches..... SmokinSmile

I can speak confidently as a coach that while playing a home game in front of your fans is great and all for motivation etc etc, it's mostly lip service, and I certainly am just fine with there not being fans on the road.
Fans have very little, if any impact(officials). Coaches? Certainly.

Officials have almost as much impact on a live game as coaches do.

Just think if an official chose to be a spectator (which is basically what women's college basketball officials are)....... ;)
I always get a chuckle out fans saying this....Of course officials have an impact. Part of the game...Kind of hard not to have an impact...

I hate working womens games....Fall asleep.

I don't think so.
At this level they are

But most 18-22 year olds spend most of their playing career not playing in front of large crowds.

Just think all the basketball games they have played in an open gym growing up.
Open gym vs A D1 game----Really? I'm talking AAU,travel ball shit...I am talking about playing D1 basketball...Most 18-22 year old, D1 players, are used to playing in front of decent, to large, to sold out arena's...Especially schools from P5 conference's.

Hell kids here in Indiana commonly play n front of large crowds. I've worked HS games here where there was 8,000+ in attendamce.

Open gym vs A D1 game----Really? I'm talking AAU,travel ball shit...I am talking about playing D1 basketball...Most 18-22 year old, D1 players, are used to playing in front of decent, to large, to sold out arena's...Especially schools from P5 conference's.

Hell kids here in Indiana commonly play n front of large crowds. I've worked HS games here where there was 8,000+ in attendamce.

Every player in College Basketball have played more games without huge crowds than ones with huge crowds.

So to say these players aren't used to it is incorrect. Programs aren't...but not players.

Majority of games players have played were in front of sparse crowds
Most AAU games don't draw huge crowds. When they have 2500 people or less in the stands that is the norm...

If you played basketball growing up just think about if you had 10,000 people as a 6 or 7 year old

Or even a 15 or 16 year old
You are looking at it the wrong way. There are players that can make 90% of their free throws in practice. But they can’t make them with 15,000 people screaming. Crowd noise definitely impacts games.

You are looking at it the wrong way. There are players that can make 90% of their free throws in practice. But they can’t make them with 15,000 people screaming. Crowd noise definitely impacts games.

Not the crowd it is the pressure.
Another thing missed by people who never played is exhaustion

The pressure nor the exhaustion isn't removed

Saw that in Texas vs WVU

No crowd 89% FT shooter missing 2 in a row

...When it comes to the craziness of March Madness? There just seems to be a lot of upsets and better overall parity with teams this year. The big boys are struggling and home court advantage is non existent. Now, the whole tourney is being played in a bubble style event.

Yes, Gonzaga and Baylor look to be front runners but for the rest of the field it looks like madness. And even those two teams are not immune to having a bad game.

This could be one incredible ride and since we didn't get one last year, I feel like this year will be special.
No

Not the crowd it is the pressure.
Another thing missed by people who never played is exhaustion

The pressure nor the exhaustion isn't removed

Saw that in Texas vs WVU

No crowd 89% FT shooter missing 2 in a row
You are seriously trying to say that crowd noise has 0 effect on a basketball game?

You are seriously trying to say that crowd noise has 0 effect on a basketball game?

You mentioned free throws...

Crowd brings energy.
Teams have to find ways to recreate that energy.
What not having a crowd does is give teams a chance to control the energy inside the gym. Even the road team.

Crowd does impact games but not with free throws

Missing free throws at the end of the game is due to pressure and exhaustion usually.
Any great FT shooter will tell you they don't pay attention to the crowd

ADVERTISEMENT