ADVERTISEMENT

When did The Modern Era of cbb begin in your opinion?

What have I lied about? You said I brought up KU fans in this thread. I have done that nowhere in this thread. At all. And the good thing is anybody can go back and read my posts to see that is 100% the truth.

Then, you said I have made several references to KU fans in other threads...where have I done that? You made a claim that I have made several references to KU fans, so where is the evidence for all these comments about KU fans that I have made? That has not happened on this forum, and like I said earlier, you must have me confused with a different poster.

All righty then.

I'm not naming any names, but there are some people out there who are insecure, easily triggered by modern era comparisons, drink a lot of bourbon and threaten refs. And don't make any wild assumptions about who I'm referring to. Assuming makes an ass of you and me.

You are confusing evolving with beginning.
I'm not confusing when it started, I get the subject, I'm just saying it shouldn’t be a deciding factor, because it's something that is going to span multiple eras, unless you want this era to last 100 years.

Yeah, but TV is going to always be there, when does this TV era end?

What Borden mentioned in the above comment seems to be part of the issue. When we ask "when did the modern era begin?" we're not saying "this is when college basketball started to resemble the current product today."

We're not breaking this into different eras. If we did, we might say something like 72-84, 84-94, 94-06, 06-21, 21-present were all different eras. There's old-timey basketball and then there's the modern era. We're simply looking for the start of modern era, not what it looks like in 2024. Sometime in the 1980's is when the most revolutionary changes occurred.

What Borden mentioned in the above comment seems to be part of the issue. When we ask "when did the modern era begin?", we're not saying "this is when college basketball started to resemble the current product today."

We're not breaking this into different eras. If we did, we might say something like 72-84, 84-94, 94-06, 06-21, 21-present were all different eras. There's old-timey basketball and then there's the modern era. We're simply looking for the start of modern era, not what it looks like in 2024. Sometime in the 1980's is when the most revolutionary changes occur.
Yeah and that’s why I think we should clarify what we're really after here. I can tell you this, I'm not looking for when the current NCAA structure era began. We all know when that was.

I've been talking about what Steph Curry did to change the game, what NIL did, what the transfer portal did and what one-and-done did. Those things are targeting the style of play, physicality and speed of the game.

We've been talking about different things.

I know most people will disagree, but I think Steph Curry changed the way the game is played today. I think out of all the changes that have happened over the years, his style of play spread the court and created more scoring.

That’s my vote

I'd say analytics has been more influential on impacting the game than any single player. Between Synergy Sports and KenPom, coaches have figured out that there's a lot less-value in the mid-range shot when you break down points per possession.

So, would you put 2006-07 season as the start date for the modern era?

I do think in 10-15 years, we will look at NIL and the transfer portal being the start of a new "modern era".

There are significant changes afoot and we've only scratched the surface of what they can mean for the college game.

But until we have that context, I'll continue to think it's the mid-80's. They were what i'd consider the last truly revolutionary rules changes that changed the game.

I've been talking about what Steph Curry did to change the game, what NIL did, what the transfer portal did and what one-and-done did. Those things are targeting the style of play, physicality and speed of the game.

How does the NIL and the transfer portal significantly impact the style of play, physicality, and speed of the game?

It greatly impacts the game, yes. But, it's more about how you maintain continuity and recruit players. If you're concerned about play on the court, I'm not sure it's going to be more impactful than the latest rule changes, such as the revision of the block/charge call.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I'd say analytics has been more influential on impacting the game than any single player. Between Synergy Sports and KenPom, coaches have figured out that there's a lot less-value in the mid-range shot when you break down points per possession.

So, would you put 2006-07 season as the start date for the modern era?
Steph didn’t explode until he was in the NBA. He was a freshman at Davidson in 06/07.

It was that 14/15 season where "The Splash Brothers" really showed what could happen if you spread the court with elite shooters.

Then, look what Villanova did the next season. They spread the court with exceptional 3 point shooting and won a title.

I get that some analytics show the mid range is a good shot, but so many teams are shooting tons of 3 pointers now and the court is opened up.

So in short, I'm going to say 2016, the year after the splash brothers showed out in the NBA.

How does the NIL and the transfer portal significantly impact the style of play, physicality, and speed of the game?

It greatly impacts the game, yes. But, it's more about how you maintain continuity and recruit players. If you're concerned about play on the court, I'm not sure it's going to be more impactful than the latest rule changes, such as the revision of the block/charge call.
NIL and the transfer portal are both keeping players in college and moving players to programs that are a better fit for their style of play and I think it is creating a lot of parity, which makes more teams better and more capable of beating the top teams.

We’re seeing way more upsets in the regular season and the NCAAT now, huge upsets at that. You didn't see 15's beating 2's back in the 80's, now, it's almost expected and now we've seen two 16 seeds win. The game is stronger now and it's due to parity and a faster, more spread out game.

Whats funny is, UK fans haven’t been shitting on anyone in here. Heck, we've been very complimentary of your tar heels, of KU, of Self and even Auburn.

What's even funnier, the guy you said this to, created an account on Rupps Rafters years ago and posed as a UK fan. Now that's some ate up stuff. He's banned now.

Also, 95% of his posts, are either attacking responses to UK fans, or derogatory comments about UK fans. The dude is obsessed with UK fans, but it's UK fans that get comments like yours.

You just kinda proved my point about the insecurity thing with that novel of a post.

• Haha
You just kinda proved my point about the insecurity thing with that novel of a post.
That tells me you're looking for reasons to say what you said. You could say that bs after any comment I say if you can claim it after that post. I said nothing that means I'm insecure.
This is a message board and you don't see me hunting down fans of other programs and shitting on them. I've been very complimentary of most teams I've spoken about, even Louisville. You’re way off on your accusation.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC71-00
I wasn't pretending to be a UK fan though. I got banned because I was calling out homers and the mods are soft. I really didn't say anytbing that was ban worthy.

You pretended to.be a UK fan. How pathetic. Do you realize how obsessed you have to be to do that? You sound proud of it.

If I posted on KU's board, it would be as KYJeff1.

Hm...I don't remember pretending to be a UK fan. I think I quickly made it known I wasn't. But IIRC, that was close to a decade ago and I don't even remember what my handle was.

Apparently you've researched my very brief stint on RR and know more about it than I do. Speaking of creepy obsessions...😂

That tells me you're looking for reasons to say what you said. You could say that bs after any comment I say if you can claim it after that post. I said nothing that means I'm insecure.
This is a message board and you don't see me hunting down fans of other programs and shitting on them. I've been very complimentary of most teams I've spoken about, even Louisville. You’re way off on your accusation.

Jeff please stop. You are kind of being embarrassingly insecure now.

To be clear:
No one is attacking you. No one is attacking your family. We are having a laugh at the proclivity of UK fans to talk about titles from the 50s. Just like people laugh at UNC and Roy Williams wearing a KU button in the 08 finals after being anally violated (without lubrication) by Kansas just one day before. Or Carolina fans claiming a Helms title. Or at Duke fans because of the way Carolina violated them and Coach K just a few months ago. It's just basketball and not to be taken seriously.

When you get defensive about such trivial things, it makes you appear insecure, which is another thing we all like to laugh at BBN about.

TL,DR: quit being a pussy

Maybe Jeff's right. Maybe it is stupid to reference conventional belief when discussing the modern era. Maybe we all need to take his advice and adopt an updated modern era timeframe every time there's a change to the game. Like he said, OAD is its own era, NIL, transfer portal, AAU, every change to the shot clock or style of play, etc.

Instead of just one modern era ranking, we can have 50! And we'll all finally be on the same page.

"Dude, how many titles does your team have in the modern era?"

"Which modern era, dude? The current one or the one that ended four months ago? Or the modern era before that? Or are you talking about the post-modern modern era? Or the post-45 second/pre 35 second (but pre-Laettner shot) shot clock modern era?"

Hm...I don't remember pretending to be a UK fan. I think I quickly made it known I wasn't. But IIRC, that was close to a decade ago and I don't even remember what my handle was.

Apparently you've researched my very brief stint on RR and know more about it than I do. Speaking of creepy obsessions...😂
You’re the one that pretended to be a UK fan, and I'M the one that is creepy and obsessed? Wow.

Jeff please stop. You are kind of being embarrassingly insecure now.

To be clear:
No one is attacking you. No one is attacking your family. We are having a laugh at the proclivity of UK fans to talk about titles from the 50s. Just like people laugh at UNC and Roy Williams wearing a KU button in the 08 finals after being anally violated (without lubrication) by Kansas just one day before. Or Carolina fans claiming a Helms title. Or at Duke fans because of the way Carolina violated them and Coach K just a few months ago. It's just basketball and not to be taken seriously.

When you get defensive about such trivial things, it makes you appear insecure, which is another thing we all like to laugh at BBN about.

TL,DR: quit being a pussy
Another keyboard cowboy. Nobody is being a pussy.

Maybe Jeff's right. Maybe it is stupid to reference conventional belief when discussing the modern era. Maybe we all need to take his advice and adopt an updated modern era timeframe every time there's a change to the game. Like he said, OAD is its own era, NIL, transfer portal, AAU, every change to the shot clock or style of play, etc.

Instead of just one modern era ranking, we can have 50! And we'll all finally be on the same page.

"Dude, how many titles does your team have in the modern era?"

"Which modern era, dude? The current one or the one that ended four months ago? Or the modern era before that? Or are you talking about the post-modern modern era? Or the post-45 second/pre 35 second (but pre-Laettner shot) shot clock modern era?"
Nobody is asking for a new modern era after every rule change. I literally said that multiple times. But Exitflagger is going to Exitflagger.

You’re the one that pretended to be a UK fan, and I'M the one that is creepy and obsessed? Wow.

No idea what you're talking about. I made a couple posts there almost a decade ago, and you're claiming to have dug them up? Yeah, that's creepy shit.

Nobody is asking for a new modern era after every rule change. I literally said that multiple times. But Exitflagger is going to Exitflagger.

So you didn't say that OAD, NIL, etc were their own eras?

I'm sorry. Let me rephrase:

The last time I met someone this insecure and sensitive about stupid shit, she had a pussy.
Why are you being a fvcking asshole right now? Seems to be a bit uncalled for and out of nowhere.

So you didn't say that OAD, NIL, etc were their own eras?
This is my first post on page 1. I didn’t say they were their own eras.

AAU changed the game
Transfer portal changed the game
NIL changed the game
Spread offense changed the game
One-and-done changed the game
Parity changed the game
Shoe companies changed the game

This is my first post on page 1. I didn’t say they were their own eras.

AAU changed the game
Transfer portal changed the game
NIL changed the game
Spread offense changed the game
One-and-done changed the game
Parity changed the game
Shoe companies changed the game

I literally just quoted you saying it. 🤣

One-and-done is its own era. NIL is its own era,

And I know it wasn't the only time you said it in your 500 posts about this.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz
I literally just quoted you saying it. 🤣

And I know it wasn't the only time you said it in your 500 posts about this.
That’s 2 things, you made it sound like I said each item deserves it's own era. I listed a lot of changes that changed the game. One-and-done is kind of a big deal. NIL is lind of a big deal.

I mean its in the title....."When did the modern era BEGIN."
You know what's not in the title? Are we talking about the current structure, or the way the game is played on the court? There's a big difference.

I think early 90's. The UNLV teams and Fab 5 changed it some. Dook became the love/ hate program. Games just looked different on TV. I still think the 80's were the Golden age of college basketball, but everything was still mostly " Paint based" in those days. I would take the 80' s back in a heartbeat.

That’s 2 things, you made it sound like I said each item deserves it's own era. I listed a lot of changes that changed the game. One-and-done is kind of a big deal. NIL is lind of a big deal.

That was just the first example I found. I'm not searching through every post to find more.

Anyway, NIL might be a big deal, but it didn't change the way the game is played or the way champions are determined.

So tell me how I pretended to be a Kentucky fan in my, like, three posts on RR a decade ago, and how you know this?

That was just the first example I found. I'm not searching through every post to find more.

Anyway, NIL might be a big deal, but it didn't change the way the game is played or the way champions are determined.

So tell me how I pretended to be a Kentucky fan in my, like, three posts on RR a decade ago, and how you know this?
Nobody said you had to search anything, you're the one that gets lost, then creates a situation where we talk in circles.

My talking points are pretty basic. The game on the court has changed multiple times since the 80's. I clearly stated that I would use 2016 as the beginning of the latest era, that’s when the game turned into a more spread out offensive philosophy over defense.

You can choose to focus on whatever you want, I'm not going to change your mind.

For the record, I pointed out 2 days ago, in this thread, that two different things were being talked about here. There is the current structure that cbb follows (shot clock, 3 point shot and NCAAT bracket) and that era started in the 80's.

But what I'm talking about, is the play on the court and how the game is so much different today than it was even 10 years ago.

Nobody said you had to search anything, you're the one that gets lost, then creates a situation where we talk in circles.

My talking points are pretty basic. The game on the court has changed multiple times since the 80's. I clearly stated that I would use 2016 as the beginning of the latest era, that’s when the game turned into a more spread out offensive philosophy over defense.

You can choose to focus on whatever you want, I'm not going to change your mind.

For the record, I pointed out 2 days ago, in this thread, that two different things were being talked about here. There is the current structure that cbb follows (shot clock, 3 point shot and NCAAT bracket) and that era started in the 80's.

But what I'm talking about, is the play on the court and how the game is so much different today than it was even 10 years ago.

I'm the one who gets lost? 🤣

Priceless.

If you hadn't already gotten lost days ago, you'd realize I haven't tried to change anyone's mind about their opinion of the modern era. This all started because I simply made a reference to the 80s as the start of the modern era, which launched you into a tirade of blabbering about how stupid and wrong that was. I couldn't care less about what you or anyone thinks the modern era should be, goof. I just referred to what is commonly believed to be the start of the modern era. There was no reason for you to take issue with that, but you're an illogical person who likes to argue about stupid shit, so here we are going in circles days later. It's impossible to get a point across to you.

Anyway, why won't you explain your comment about me posing as a Kentucky fan, you lying weirdo?

You know what's not in the title? Are we talking about the current structure, or the way the game is played on the court? There's a big difference.
When did the modern era begin. Not, "how many times the game has evolved". What started it all. Which includes, but not limited to---current structure, how the game is currently played, etc....

I bet if ya ask 10 people this question, 9 if not all would say---"1985, or The 80's". I doubt anyone would dissect it, as you have. And why?

What was era that started where CBB is today? Most say the 80's for many reasons

1. NCAAT expaned to 64.
2. 3 point shot
3. TV coverage.
4. Speed of the game.
5. MUltiple rule changes

All of this above beagn in the 80's.

You are making this much harder than it is, man.

Why are you being a fvcking asshole right now? Seems to be a bit uncalled for and out of nowhere.

Oh FFS Jeff. I’m just being an idiot troll and obviously so and you keep taking the bait because you are being absurdly sensitive ITT.

Settle down.

Last edited:
  • Haha
When did the modern era begin. Not, "how many times the game has evolved". What started it all. Which includes, but not limited to---current structure, how the game is currently played, etc....

I bet if ya ask 10 people this question, 9 if not all would say---"1985, or The 80's". I doubt anyone would dissect it, as you have. And why?

What was era that started where CBB is today? Most say the 80's for many reasons

1. NCAAT expaned to 64.
2. 3 point shot
3. TV coverage.
4. Speed of the game.
5. MUltiple rule changes

All of this above beagn in the 80's.

You are making this much harder than it is, man.
You would be right if we were talking about the current structure of the game (some of us are). What I'm talking about, is the style, speed, physicality and analytics that you're seeing on the court. That’s a different conversation.

I have no issue with the structure of the game beginning in 1985, but the product on the court, is massively different.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT