ADVERTISEMENT

When did The Modern Era of cbb begin in your opinion?

From what I understand, AAU started much sooner than 1988, but it seemed like it became a really big deal in the 2000's, but that could just be me not being as connected.
Typo----meant 1888. FTR, AAU and the NCAA have butted heads since the 60's and 70's. AAU became "big" in the 80s, then into the 90's. TV got involved, and then blew up in 1997 with AND1 mix-tape tour.

Reactions: dukedevilz
A few days ago, Jeff claimed that not a single person would agree that the modern era started in ‘85. Today he’s the ultimate authority on the subject.
Says the guy that thinks he's the authority on every subject, including UK fans.

I know most people will disagree, but I think Steph Curry changed the way the game is played today. I think out of all the changes that have happened over the years, his style of play spread the court and created more scoring.

That’s my vote
I could argue Rupp changed the game.....with the "fast break"----Then could turn around and argue KNight changed the game with his motion offense....

Or that Magic changed how the game was viewed/played by being a 6'9" PG

Or cpuld say 1955----when the NCAAT finally overtook the NIT as the most prestigious tournament.

All would be solid arguments, but...……...

Today CBB is built on?------TV. And when did that START?

The 1980's. That is where most of the changes STARTED, Its where the game STARTED to evolve. Its when the STARTED to become popular, i.e. TV.

Todays game is built around? Yep---TV,and the rights.

And that started in....

The 1980's.

That's probably why most agree the modern era STARTED in the 80's, and then took center stage when the tournament expaned to 64 teams, thus becoming the most popular tournament/sport....The one we enjoy today.

That's my pick.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I could argue Rupp changed the game.....with the "fast break"----Then could turn around and argue KNight changed the game with his motion offense....

Or that Magic changed how the game was viewed/played by being a 6'9" PG

Or cpuld say 1955----when the NCAAT finally overtook the NIT as the most prestigious tournament.

All would be solid arguments, but...……...

Today CBB is built on?------TV. And when did that START?

The 1980's. That is where most of the changes STARTED, Its where the game STARTED to evolve. Its when the STARTED to become popular, i.e. TV.

Todays game is built around? Yep---TV,and the rights.

And that started in....

The 1980's.

That's probably why most agree the modern era STARTED in the 80's, and then took center stage when the tournament expaned to 64 teams, thus becoming the most popular tournament/sport....The one we enjoy today.

That's my pick.
Yeah, but TV is going to always be there, when does this TV era end?

I think TV is too broad for this, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, but TV is going to always be there, when does this TV era end?

I think TV is too broad for this, but that's just my opinion.
You are confusing evolving with beginning.

Why is TV to broad? You don't think TV has changed the game? Of course it has. In a HUGE way. Huge selling points when recruiting is-----EXPOSURE. Coaches sell that. When did that start? In the 1980's. And it has simply evolved.

Again----Starting and evolving are totally different.

I've always felt like it was when the 3ptr came into play, which was '86 or '87 IIRC. Completely changed the game.

Reactions: bignish
You are confusing evolving with beginning.

Why is TV to broad? You don't think TV has changed the game? Of course it has. In a HUGE way. Huge selling points when recruiting is-----EXPOSURE. Coaches sell that. When did that start? In the 1980's. And it has simply evolved.

Again----Starting and evolving are totally different.
TV is too broad, because it's been around since the 60's and it's not going away in our lifetime.

I'm not confusing when it started, I get the subject, I'm just saying it shouldn’t be a deciding factor, because it's something that is going to span multiple eras, unless you want this era to last 100 years.

While you can’t create an era for each rule change, you also can't base it on something that is going to be around for a hundred years.

TV is too broad, because it's been around since the 60's and it's not going away in our lifetime.

I'm not confusing when it started, I get the subject, I'm just saying it shouldn’t be a deciding factor, because it's something that is going to span multiple eras, unless you want this era to last 100 years.

While you can’t create an era for each rule change, you also can't base it on something that is going to be around for a hundred years.
It doesn't matter how long TV has been here----that's irrelevant. Cars have been here since the 20's----doesn't mean their impact isn't huge; especially at the beginning.. TV was not a factor in CBB until the late 70's----and didn't trul start to impact the game until the mid 80's. To brush it off because its been around for a long time is sort of silly, Jeff. Yeah TV has been here since the 60's, but it wasn't used to promote CBB.

Again----"spanning" is evolving----Not starting. Its expanding on. Medicine is going to span for multiple generations, but the start of modern medicine will remain the same----No matter how much more advanced it becomes.

Evolving, expanding is not related to "beginning".

It doesn't matter how long TV has been here----that's irrelevant. Cars have been here since the 20's----doesn't mean their impact isn't huge; especially at the beginning.. TV was not a factor in CBB until the late 70's----and didn't trul start to impact the game until the mid 80's. To brush it off because its been around for a long time is sort of silly, Jeff. Yeah TV has been here since the 60's, but it wasn't used to promote CBB.

Again----"spanning" is evolving----Not starting. Its expanding on. Medicine is going to span for multiple generations, but the start of modern medicine will remain the same----No matter how much more advanced it becomes.

Evolving, expanding is not related to "beginning".
I think we all have different takes on what defines an era.

To me, it's when a sport changes and this sport has changed multiple times since 1985.

TV didn’t change the game, it enhanced it. NIL, Steph Curry and shoe companies changed the game more than TV gas. TV brought home viewership and advertisements, but it didn’t change the way the game is played.

I mean, the only people freaking out about what constitutes the modern era are you and a few fellow Kentucky fans. Notice who started this thread?

I’m not sure there is a more insecure fanbase in all of sports. Their constant crusade for external validation is as puzzling as it is embarrassing

Reactions: ExitFlagger
And the answer is when the Tournament went from 16 teams and automatic seeding in your geographic region to 32 teams and seeding based on ranking.

One thing UCLA had going for them that people seem to overlook is that they only had to play west coast teams to make the Final 4, while those schools in the East and Midwest had to work their asses off just to make the tournament and then 2 tough games before final 4. Whereas UCLA would coast through the regular reason, then play Pepperdine and BYU to get to the Final 4.

Changing that had as much to do with killing that contrived dynasty as anything.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
What type? What decade ? 1990's?----Why?. 2000's---Why? 2010's---why? 2020's?

Most experts, analysis, pundits, and fans have long considered 1985 as the start of the modern era. Why are they wrong?

Is it a new start of modern era after every rule change?

Do we count the evolvement of players , more so than rule changes?

How about the era of instant replay? Freshman being able to play? Remember the rule where you had to advance the ball past the 28 foot hash? What about the 3 point shot? Shot clock----and the changes made?

There has to be "A" start. Not multiple starts, but "A" start. So what decade put us on the path where we are today?
Are the experts, pundits, and fans who don't consider 1985 wrong? Just because they are in the minority?

Just because the field expanded to 64 teams and a three point line was added in the 80s doesn't all of a sudden mean the game of college basketball changed from pre-modern to modern...there have been so many influential rule changes well before the 80s and well after the 80s that have had bigger impacts than a 3 point line, many of which have been discussed in this thread.

In the end, what does it really matter? What is everyone trying to accomplish by defining when this so called modern era began?

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
What did I say that was wrong? Who else has been whining about it?

You’ve made references to KU fans several times and even brought us up in this thread. Hence my post.

You guys are ultra sensitive, aren’t you? Ah, damn, I’ve gone and done it again!
When did I bring up KU fans in this thread. Please point to exactly where I made any mention of KU fans.

Second, I have not made several references to KU fans anywhere on this forum. You must have me confused with someone else. I couldn't care less about KUs fanbase, just like I couldn't care less about UL, UT, UF, Duke, or UNCs fanbase.

Third, when on a message board, there is nothing wrong with talking about a team's fanbase every once in a while. It is bound to come up in a college basketball forum. You on the other hand, constantly talk about UK fans and Rupp Rafters. Why? Who flippin cares that much about another team's fans?

Last edited:
Why are the experts, pundits, and fans who don't consider 1985 wrong? Just because they are in the minority?

This is hilarious. The only person who's said anyone's opinion is "wrong" is Jeff.

Just because the field expanded to 64 teams and a three point line was added in the 80s doesn't all of a sudden mean the game of college basketball changed from pre-modern to modern...there have been so many influential rule changes well before the 80s and well after the 80s that have had bigger impacts than a 3 point line, many of which have been discussed in this thread.

In the end, what does it really matter? What is everyone trying to accomplish by defining when this so called modern era began?

Why don't you ask the OP this question? Or the people who freaked out because someone had the nerve to reference the timeframe that is widely considered the modern era? How appalling that someone would do that!

Last edited:
This is hilarious. The only person who's said anyone's opinion is "wrong" is Jeff.

Why don't you ask the OP this question? Or the people who freaked out because someone had the nerve to reference the timeframe that is widely considered the modern era? How appalling that someone would do that! 🤣
People have freaked out about this conversation? Where? This seems like good back and forth with differing views...that is allowed, right?

Just because someone asks a question back to another poster does not mean they are "freaking out."

Why don't you ask the OP this question? Or the people who freaked out because someone had the nerve to reference the timeframe that is widely considered the modern era? How appalling that someone would do that! 🤣
I did? Where?
Just hecause someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they're telling you your opinion is wrong.

Keep twisting There Baracus.

I’m not sure there is a more insecure fanbase in all of sports. Their constant crusade for external validation is as puzzling as it is embarrassing
Whats funny is, UK fans haven’t been shitting on anyone in here. Heck, we've been very complimentary of your tar heels, of KU, of Self and even Auburn.

What's even funnier, the guy you said this to, created an account on Rupps Rafters years ago and posed as a UK fan. Now that's some ate up stuff. He's banned now.

Also, 95% of his posts, are either attacking responses to UK fans, or derogatory comments about UK fans. The dude is obsessed with UK fans, but it's UK fans that get comments like yours.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC71-00
Whats funny is, UK fans haven’t been shitting on anyone in here. Heck, we've been very complimentary of your tar heels, of KU, of Self and even Auburn.

What's even funnier, the guy you said this to, created an account on Rupps Rafters years ago and posed as a UK fan. Now that's some ate up stuff. He's banned now.

Also, 95% of his posts, are either attacking responses to UK fans, or derogatory comments about UK fans. The dude is obsessed with UK fans, but it's UK fans that get comments like yours.
Looking for Vols on that list...🤔

You already know the answer to that. I've been complimentary to you and I give you crap about the Vols, but I'm fair.
Jeff,
I'm just here for the fun and that seemed like a fun time to interject.

Are the experts, pundits, and fans who don't consider 1985 wrong? Just because they are in the minority?

You make a great point and it's sonething I touched on earlier. We need perameters set on this.

Are we talking about rule and structure changes, or are we talking about the game and how it has evolved? Those are two different things.

I have been talking about how the actual on the court game has changed. To me, that is the real subject to talk about. The structure of the current game, is easy, yeah, 1985 is when the structure was created, cool, but I want to talk about how the game is played on the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcnicKY91
When did I bring up KU fans in this thread. Please point to exactly where I made any mention of KU fans.

So who were you referring to here? Nice try, junior.

Seems like fans of teams that have only found the majority of success in the current era use this as an argument to try and discredit the accomplishments of programs who have found a lot of success in all eras. Strange flex, to say the least.

Jeff,
I'm just here for the fun and that seemed like a fun time to interject.
You’re a good woman Della, that’s why I like you so much.

5:00 for the Vols and Gators today. Can't wait. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: della
I did? Where?
Just hecause someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they're telling you your opinion is wrong.

Keep twisting There Baracus.

Why do you lie so much? 😂

One-and-done is its own era. NIL is its own era, AAU changed the game and parity is growing with every year. There is no way 1985 is the same as 2023. Y'all are just wrong, simple as that.

Oops.

Oh, look, more lies and insecurity. Who'da thunk?

Only thing you said that's true is that I did create an account on RR at one point and got banned. Know who else was banned there? You. 😂🤣

Oops.
You and Jeff's argument has devolved into stupid.

First of all, someone arguing a point with you by its very nature means they think your opinion is wrong. It is silly to accuse him of something you both share in common. The only thing dumber is for him to defend against that allegation.

Y'all have obviously run out of shit to argue if y'all are pulling out stuff like that.

Reactions: Sparty_57

Oops.
Where is the oops? College ball in 2024, is a different game than it was in 1985. Where did I tell you your opinion is wrong? Or, are you saying the product on the court is the same?

Oh, look, more lies and insecurity. Who'da thunk?

Only thing you said that's true is that I did create an account on RR at one point and got banned. Know who else was banned there? You. 😂🤣
I wasn't pretending to be a UK fan though. I got banned because I was calling out homers and the mods are soft. I really didn't say anytbing that was ban worthy.

You pretended to.be a UK fan. How pathetic. Do you realize how obsessed you have to be to do that? You sound proud of it.

If I posted on KU's board, it would be as KYJeff1.

First of all, someone arguing a point with you by its very nature means they think your opinion is wrong. It is silly to accuse him of something you both share in common. The only thing dumber is for him to defend against that allegation.

Y'all have obviously run out of shit to argue if y'all are pulling out stuff like that.

Let's step back, because you obviously missed a lot.

I made a reference to the mid-80s as the start of the modern era, because that's the conventional belief. Jeff threw a hissy fit and said this was "wrong" and "stupid."

1) It's not wrong that most people consider the 80s to be the start of the modern era
2) It's not wrong to have the opinion that the modern era did start in the 80s

Opinions can't be wrong unless they're disproven by facts. There are no facts that will disprove an opinion of when the modern era "should" begin or end.

Every time someone disagrees with Exit, in his mind, it means you threw a hissy fit, or you're crying. WTF?

Where is the oops? College ball in 2024, is a different game than it was in 1985. Where did I tell you your opinion is wrong? Or, are you saying the product on the court is the same?

Literally no one said the game is the same as it were then. No one. Poor spin attempt, per usual. 😆

Last edited:
Are you really this clueless?

Literally no one said the game is the same as it were then. No one. Poor spin attempt, per usual. 😆
There's no spin. Where's the oops?

This is my last post to you in this back-and-forth, it's going in circles… again.

Again, nice try. Isn't it a little pathetic that you both have to resort to lying to try to win the internetz?
What have I lied about? You said I brought up KU fans in this thread. I have done that nowhere in this thread. At all. And the good thing is anybody can go back and read my posts to see that is 100% the truth.

Then, you said I have made several references to KU fans in other threads...where have I done that? You made a claim that I have made several references to KU fans, so where is the evidence for all these comments about KU fans that I have made? That has not happened on this forum, and like I said earlier, you must have me confused with a different poster.

Jeff and Exit:

giphy.gif

Reactions: della
Let's step back, because you obviously missed a lot.

I made a reference to the mid-80s as the start of the modern era, because that's the conventional belief. Jeff threw a hissy fit and said this was "wrong" and "stupid."

1) It's not wrong that most people consider the 80s to be the start of the modern era
2) It's not wrong to have the opinion that the modern era did start in the 80s

Opinions can't be wrong unless they're disproven by facts. There are no facts that will disprove an opinion of when the modern era "should" begin or end.
The Modern Era began when Barnes took over the Vols. Most consider it the Era of joy and prosperity, but some call it the Modern Era. So, you were both wrong.

There's no spin. Where's the oops?

This is my last post to you in this back-and-forth, it's going in circles… again.

Well, let's think about this logically (for a change).

If no one ever said that the game is the same as it were in the 80s, what were I/we "wrong" about? I'm curious.

Here's an idea: be a man and own your takes.

ADVERTISEMENT