ADVERTISEMENT

Was 2019 UVA the best team this decade?

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
Highest Kenpom efficiency margin (+34.22) of any championship team this decade. Sure, 2015 UK was higher (+36.91) but they didn't win it all. Didn't even make the championship game. Convince me that another team was better.

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
Highest Kenpom efficiency margin (+34.22) of any championship team this decade. Sure, 2015 UK was higher (+36.91) but they didn't win it all. Didn't even make the championship game. Convince me that another team was better.

Judging with my eyes 2012 UK would beat this team by double digits.

If it's logical to discard UK15's higher Kenpom b/c they didn't win it all (it is), I'm not sure why Kenpom would be so convincing a stat in UVA19's favor.

Kenpom is also relative to the specific year, so having so high a Kenpom rating in such a down year is misleading.

I think this was a relatively weak field, which might have artificially inflated their numbers. But regardless of what Kenny’s algorithm says, I think Nova ‘18 would have annihilated them. And a few others.

Last edited:
Doubtful. Only team in the conversation with UVA though. I'll agree with that.

It took a couple miracles for them to take it in a down year. How would you have felt about them if they’d lost in the E8?

It took a couple miracles for them to take it in a down year. How would you have felt about them if they’d lost in the E8?

You call it miracles. I call it clutch. It’s not good when your primary argument against mine is a hypothetical.

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
You call it miracles. I call it clutch. It’s not good when your primary argument against mine is a hypothetical.

My point is that people still consider 2015 Kentucky and even 2015 Wisky among the best teams in recent memory. That wouldn’t be the case for Virginia. Other than a few Kenpom worshippers.

Clutch was Hunter burying an open three with 15 seconds left. The previous two games were miraculous.

My point is that people still consider 2015 Kentucky and even 2015 Wisky among the best teams in recent memory. That wouldn’t be the case for Virginia. Other than a few Kenpom worshippers.

Clutch was Hunter burying an open three with 15 seconds left. The previous two games were miraculous.

Most people shit their pants trying to make those 3 FTs that Guy made vs. Auburn. He didn't even touch rim.

Purdue was a miracle. I'll give you that.

Last edited:
Virginia had by far the luckiest run of any team ever in the tournament. So, in no way could I ever consider them the best. They also had one of the easiest paths by the rankings of just about any Champion as well. Also, I'm a little bitter because if they missed that three at the end of regulation Tech's run to the title would have been considered the most impressive ever and now its nothing more than a blip unfortunately.

Virginia had by far the luckiest run of any team ever in the tournament. So, in no way could I ever consider them the best. They also had one of the easiest paths by the rankings of just about any Champion as well. Also, I'm a little bitter because if they missed that three at the end of regulation Tech's run to the title would have been considered the most impressive ever and now its nothing more than a blip unfortunately.

Don't worry. Everyone remembers who the runner up was 10 years down the road.

Reactions: kelley2403
Most people shit their pants trying to make those 3 FTs that Guy made vs. Auburn. He didn't even touch rim.

Regardless of how miraculous any of it were, Nova (and ‘12 Kentucky) didn’t need luck to cruise to the title. And Virginia probably had the “easiest” path of the three.

Reactions: JBGOAT
Does 2010 count as this decade? Cuz 2010 Cuse woulda beat this Virginia team by 15 on a bad night.

As long ass you agree with Kenpom that the Big12 has been the toughest and most dominate conference the past 6 years, then YES I agree with you too!

Except conferences don't win championships. Teams do. And only one of those teams has been from the Big 12 this century.

I see, so we cant just take blind Kenpom numbers and make blanket statements, I agree with you AGAIN...

You can use them in conjunction with winning championships, like I did when talking about UVA. I would argue that 2008 Kansas is the best team this century because Kenpom + championship.

Kenpom - championship = who gives a shit. Like Big 12 this decade.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
LOL at the OP searching for approval from this board for his team having one of the luckiest runs in tournament history.

LOL at the OP searching for approval from this board for his team having one of the luckiest runs in tournament history.

Please tell me about Auburn's championship run in basketball. I'll wait patiently.

picnic_table_bear.jpg

I still have nightmares about Diakite hitting that damn shot.

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT