ADVERTISEMENT

Warriors just signed DeMarcus Cousins. Wow

As far as strength goes, probably Boston. But aren't you aware that he's declared his desire to join the Lakers? Don't forget about Klay being available.
Klay won't go anywhere. Kawhi and Lebron don't seem like they would fit well together. Keep in mind too the Clippers just cleaned house. They will have some serious dough to throw his away and bring another guy in with him. I could see Kyrie and Kawhi in LA as Clippers a year from now.

Klay won't go anywhere. Kawhi and Lebron don't seem like they would fit well together. Keep in mind too the Clippers just cleaned house. They will have some serious dough to throw his away and bring another guy in with him. I could see Kyrie and Kawhi in LA as Clippers a year from now.
OK. You have your take. If his statements are true, Kawhi will join the Lakers...that's how I view it. And after asking me about whether Kawhi preferred LA or Boston, you imply that Kyrie would leave Boston for LA

OK. You have your take. If his statements are true, Kawhi will join the Lakers...that's how I view it. And after asking me about whether Kawhi preferred LA or Boston, you imply that Kyrie would leave Boston for LA
I think Leonard wants LA. That doesn't necessarily mean the Lakers.

I think Leonard wants LA. That doesn't necessarily mean the Lakers.
He explicitly said the Lakers were his preference. The Lakers have LeBron, and the Clippers dumped DeAndre Jordan. Should be an easy choice.

So you are good with citing media when it fits your argument. But it's "cool story" when the story contradicts the previous reports? Go back to FB.
What's your point and why do you think that article is so definitive? There have been numerous reports about Kawhi's expressed preference for the Lakers. The Lakers now have the best player in basketball and a tradition that makes a mockery of the Clippers. You asked me which team Kawhi deems more viable for making playoff waves, the Celtics or the Lakers. Why are you contradicting yourself by suggesting that the Clippers are more appealing than the Lakers?

Are you a reflexive, inveterate Lakers hater? Does the thought of the Lakers recapturing their glory give you stomach cramps, heartburn, irritable bowels, and a migraine? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

What's your point and why do you think that article is so definitive? There have been numerous reports about Kawhi's expressed preference for the Lakers. The Lakers now have the best player in basketball and a tradition that makes a mockery of the Clippers. You asked me which team Kawhi deems more viable for making playoff waves, the Celtics or the Lakers. Why are you contradicting yourself by suggesting that the Clippers are more appealing than the Lakers?

Are you a reflexive, inveterate Lakers hater? Does the thought of the Lakers recapturing their glory give you stomach cramps, heartburn, irritable bowels, and a migraine? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?
There has been one report prior to FA about his uncle saying he wanted in LA as a Laker. Fast forward 3-4 weeks and Lebron is now a Laker who plays the same position and the Clippers have since opened up 70 million of cap space for next year. Yes things could change , but I can tell you the Spurs will do a sign and trade to get the most they can for Leonard. They also don't want to send him to the Lakers where he will come back to bite them in the ass more likely. Plus the Clippers will not be very good this year and could very likely have a top 3-5 pick to offer as trade bait. Spurs trade Kawhi to Clippers for the pick and maybe another starter included to make salaries balance out. Spurs get to replace Kawhi potentially with guys like Barrett , Little , or Reddish in the next draft with a high pick.

Please provide some sort of logic to back your conclusion , rather than just play the hater card. Simply because you are living off pre FA news reports from a month ago. Thanks for playing but try harder.

There has been one report prior to FA about his uncle saying he wanted in LA as a Laker. Fast forward 3-4 weeks and Lebron is now a Laker who plays the same position and the Clippers have since opened up 70 million of cap space for next year. Yes things could change , but I can tell you the Spurs will do a sign and trade to get the most they can for Leonard. They also don't want to send him to the Lakers where he will come back to bite them in the ass more likely. Plus the Clippers will not be very good this year and could very likely have a top 3-5 pick to offer as trade bait. Spurs trade Kawhi to Clippers for the pick and maybe another starter included to make salaries balance out. Spurs get to replace Kawhi potentially with guys like Barrett , Little , or Reddish in the next draft with a high pick.

Please provide some sort of logic to back your conclusion , rather than just play the hater card. Simply because you are living off pre FA news reports from a month ago. Thanks for playing but try harder.
Here's another direct question for you to duck: Who's your team?

UNC. Don't have an NBA team. Just watch NBA.
That's strange, because you are consistently arguing against the Lakers doing anything positive. Is it that you intensely dislike LeBron? In part because of his polarizing personality but also because he's fueling a general debate whether he or Tarheel Michael Jordan is the GOAT? That drives a lot of passions these days.

Reactions: dtgold88
That's strange, because you are consistently arguing against the Lakers doing anything positive. Is it that you intensely dislike LeBron? In part because of his polarizing personality but also because he's fueling a general debate whether he or Tarheel Michael Jordan is the GOAT? That drives a lot of passions these days.
I argued that Kawhi and Lebron play the same position and don't think they fit well together. Keep in mind you have Ingram and Kuzma on the roster as well that play the same position. So as the Lakers roster currently stands there is a log jam at the position Kawhi plays. Lebron has a ways to go to being Jordan as a player in his prime. But that is irrelevant to FA next year in the NBA. Keep trying harder.

I argued that Kawhi and Lebron play the same position and don't think they fit well together. Keep in mind you have Ingram and Kuzma on the roster as well that play the same position. So as the Lakers roster currently stands there is a log jam at the position Kawhi plays. Lebron has a ways to go to being Jordan as a player in his prime. But that is irrelevant to FA next year in the NBA. Keep trying harder.
Don't have to try harder, as you're kinda out on an island with your bizarre take. The speculation is universal that the Lakers are interested in acquiring Kawhi. I haven't heard anybody voice your concern about how he'd jibe with LeBron. In this age of open spacing and 3 point shooting, conventional positions aren't an issue with lineups. Unlike you, most don't see a problem with starting 2 of the 5 best players in the game. Tweaking or trading Kuzma and/or Ingram would be an easy decision if the Lakers could get Kawhi. Until now, you're argument seemed more focused on the likelihood of the Lakers getting Kawhi, than the wisdom of doing so. Since you claim Lebron vs Jordan doesn't fuel your posting here, we can table that discussion.

Kawhi and Lebron don't seem like they would fit well together.

Fast forward 3-4 weeks and Lebron is now a Laker who plays the same position and the Clippers have since opened up 70 million of cap space for next year.

(snip)

Plus the Clippers will not be very good this year and could very likely have a top 3-5 pick to offer as trade bait.

Clippers are nowhere near the worst of the worst. I guess they could get lucky with the new lottery system, but they'll most likely be in the 10-14 range again. And the Lakers can offer Ingram, who was the deserved #2 pick and has loads of upside at the most important position/role in the NBA.

I argued that Kawhi and Lebron play the same position and don't think they fit well together. Keep in mind you have Ingram and Kuzma on the roster as well that play the same position. So as the Lakers roster currently stands there is a log jam at the position Kawhi plays.

As an initial point, Kawhi is not concerned about guys like Ingram and Kuzma because he's much better, and he's smart enough to know that 1) wing depth is very important, and 2) those guys can be flipped for other assets. So that's 100% a non-issue. (and if you want to play that game, the Clippers have Gallinari and Tobias Harris, who when healthy are both better than Ingram and Kuzma right now)

But the playing the same position argument you've made on several occasions is something from 2005, and frankly the idea of positions is a bit outdated (more important to think of roles, at least on offense). Having lots of wings that can guard multiple positions is something all the best teams are doing: Celtics (Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and to a lesser extent Ojeleye, Nader, and Morris), Rockets (Ariza last year, Mbah a Moute, PJ Tucker, even Gerald Green), Warriors (Durant, Klay, Iggy, even Draymond). And for good reason - it allows the use of versatile offensive players (i.e. spacing and playmaking) and the ability to switch on D to help nullify PnR heavy offenses and off-ball action.

LeBron and Kawhi is an amazing combination, and they absolutely, 100% can play together and compliment each other's games well. And the Lakers can use Ingram/Kuzma/Hart as trade bait to bring in players at other positions/roles, or they can just enjoy the type of depth at the wings that helped the Rockets nearly defeat the Warriors, the Celtics go farther than expected, and the Warriors to win a title. FFS, a LeBron/Kawhi/Ingram/Hart (or Kuzma)/Ball lineup would destroy most teams in the league (but in small stretches, like the Warriors death lineup, to preserve players for the playoffs).

Reactions: Silent Banjo
I'm sure Lebron's move is in part about life, but don't think he's abandoned the title pursuing business. Pretty much this season was already conceded to the Warriors. If Kawhi is serious about joining the Lakers as a FA and Klay (who would be a key loss from the GS dynasty) signs on, they'll be more than viable contenders next year. Don't discount the Lakers young corp.

If its not all about basketball, if I'm the Cavs I'm making one last call....selling point to continue his Finals' streak as it's over if he stays. LA will still be there after next season.

And how do we know Kawhi is serious....were were hearing the same at this time last year before and after PG was dealt to OKC. MAybe Kawhi is dealt elsewhere and resigns.

How do you know Klay wont go anywhere? Guessing GS knows he is not a max player. Possible LA is willing to pay him more, pretty sure he has LA ties and he would be a nice fit with Lebron.

I think more likely Kyrie and Butler wind up in NY.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
I'm one who often cites the same type of argument, that the NBA is not fantasy basketball. But you don't think Lebron could play some PG as well as a little PF? No chance Kawhi could not slide over to SG?

Don't have to try harder, as you're kinda out on an island with your bizarre take. The speculation is universal that the Lakers are interested in acquiring Kawhi. I haven't heard anybody voice your concern about how he'd jibe with LeBron. In this age of open spacing and 3 point shooting, conventional positions aren't an issue with lineups. Unlike you, most don't see a problem with starting 2 of the 5 best players in the game. Tweaking or trading Kuzma and/or Ingram would be an easy decision if the Lakers could get Kawhi. Until now, you're argument seemed more focused on the likelihood of the Lakers getting Kawhi, than the wisdom of doing so. Since you claim Lebron vs Jordan doesn't fuel your posting here, we can table that discussion.
Well said....I'm one who believes it's not a foregone conclusion Kawhi will be traded to and/or choose to play for LA in FA. But the idea they could not make it work with Kawhi and Lebron on the same team? Cant say much more than wow to that.

Clippers are nowhere near the worst of the worst. I guess they could get lucky with the new lottery system, but they'll most likely be in the 10-14 range again. And the Lakers can offer Ingram, who was the deserved #2 pick and has loads of upside at the most important position/role in the NBA.

As an initial point, Kawhi is not concerned about guys like Ingram and Kuzma because he's much better, and he's smart enough to know that 1) wing depth is very important, and 2) those guys can be flipped for other assets. So that's 100% a non-issue. (and if you want to play that game, the Clippers have Gallinari and Tobias Harris, who when healthy are both better than Ingram and Kuzma right now)

But the playing the same position argument you've made on several occasions is something from 2005, and frankly the idea of positions is a bit outdated (more important to think of roles, at least on offense). Having lots of wings that can guard multiple positions is something all the best teams are doing: Celtics (Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and to a lesser extent Ojeleye, Nader, and Morris), Rockets (Ariza last year, Mbah a Moute, PJ Tucker, even Gerald Green), Warriors (Durant, Klay, Iggy, even Draymond). And for good reason - it allows the use of versatile offensive players (i.e. spacing and playmaking) and the ability to switch on D to help nullify PnR heavy offenses and off-ball action.

LeBron and Kawhi is an amazing combination, and they absolutely, 100% can play together and compliment each other's games well. And the Lakers can use Ingram/Kuzma/Hart as trade bait to bring in players at other positions/roles, or they can just enjoy the type of depth at the wings that helped the Rockets nearly defeat the Warriors, the Celtics go farther than expected, and the Warriors to win a title. FFS, a LeBron/Kawhi/Ingram/Hart (or Kuzma)/Ball lineup would destroy most teams in the league (but in small stretches, like the Warriors death lineup, to preserve players for the playoffs).
Stop comparing them to the Warriors. The shooting prowess of the Warriors is so much greater than what the Lakers have. Also have you looked at the Clippers roster? In the last year they unloaded their 3 best players plus reddick. Lou Williams , Gallinari , and Gortat are just so formidable.

You make sure you find your way back in the thread in the next year when Kawhi being moved goes down.

Well said....I'm one who believes it's not a foregone conclusion Kawhi will be traded to and/or choose to play for LA in FA. But the idea they could not make it work with Kawhi and Lebron on the same team? Cant say much more than wow to that.
I don't think Kawhi meshes with Lebron either from a personality stand point. Lebron hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park recruiting guys since the Big 3 in Miami.

I'm one who often cites the same type of argument, that the NBA is not fantasy basketball. But you don't think Lebron could play some PG as well as a little PF? No chance Kawhi could not slide over to SG?
Where does Lonzo fit in? Also from a longevity stand point , you won't see Lebron bulked back up like he was in Miami playing PF.

How do you know Klay wont go anywhere? Guessing GS knows he is not a max player. Possible LA is willing to pay him more, pretty sure he has LA ties and he would be a nice fit with Lebron.

I think more likely Kyrie and Butler wind up in NY.
Klay isn't leaving Curry the way they are winning. Just don't see it happening. Those guys were the guys that brought GSW to being contenders. I see Durant leaving before Klay.

Where does Lonzo fit in?
Did I say he's out? I said Lebron could play "some" PG.

If you insist there must be traditional positions, guessng Ball sits 15 or so minutes/game. Lebron could be the PG in those minutes. Kawhi probably out 10-15 minutes (closer to 15 until healthy). Lebron could be the SF in those minutes. When they both play, Lebron could be the PF. Or maybe he's the SF and Kawhi could slide over to SG for a stretch.

Klay isn't leaving Curry the way they are winning. Just don't see it happening. Those guys were the guys that brought GSW to being contenders. I see Durant leaving before Klay.
Maybe, but this is no more than a guess.

Stop comparing them to the Warriors. The shooting prowess of the Warriors is so much greater than what the Lakers have. Also have you looked at the Clippers roster? In the last year they unloaded their 3 best players plus reddick. Lou Williams , Gallinari , and Gortat are just so formidable.

1) I'm not comparing them to the Warriors, just pointing out how good teams are building their rosters and how the Warriors limit use of their small ball death lineup before the playoffs.

2) if the Clippers are as bleak as you think, then why would Kawhi want them over the Lakers? Especially when their best player is probably Tobias Harris, a nominal SF (which seems so important to you).

I see you don't address the myriad teams building around similarly sized, switchable players at the 2-4 positions, so thanks for conceding that. The idea that LeBron and Kawhi do not complement each other on the court is such garbage that it is unremarkable you gave up trying to defend it.

I don't think Kawhi meshes with Lebron either from a personality stand point. Lebron hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park recruiting guys since the Big 3 in Miami.
On that I agree as well. As I said, if you want to tell me Kawhi doesn't end up in LA I can buy that.

Though he did recruit Love to insist he be traded to Cleveland. Not like they ever had another chance there to bring in a stud FA

Did I say he's out? I said Lebron could play "some" PG.

If you insist there must be traditional positions, guessng Ball sits 15 or so minutes/game. Lebron could be the PG in those minutes. Kawhi probably out 10-15 minutes (closer to 15 until healthy). Lebron could be the SF in those minutes. When they both play, Lebron could be the PF. Or maybe he's the SF and Kawhi could slide over to SG for a stretch.

The part about insisting on traditional positions is so against the modern NBA it's like arguing with someone from the 1990s. And it ignores that LeBron as the "nominal" PF (i.e. second biggest guy on his team) has been terrorizing the league since his Miami days. See, e.g., Cleveland 2014-2018 with Love (or Frye) at center. So let's just call LeBron a PF and then SpaceGrass can accept Kawhi and LeBron on the same team. Win-win-win.

The part about insisting on traditional positions is so against the modern NBA it's like arguing with someone from the 1990s. And it ignores that LeBron as the "nominal" PF (i.e. second biggest guy on his team) has been terrorizing the league since his Miami days. See, e.g., Cleveland 2014-2018 with Love (or Frye) at center. So let's just call LeBron a PF and then SpaceGrass can accept Kawhi and LeBron on the same team. Win-win-win.
As long as we stipulate Lebron is not close to MJ in GOAT discussions and no matter what he does the remainder of his career can never be on his level, I think we could get him on board.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
1) I'm not comparing them to the Warriors, just pointing out how good teams are building their rosters and how the Warriors limit use of their small ball death lineup before the playoffs.

2) if the Clippers are as bleak as you think, then why would Kawhi want them over the Lakers? Especially when their best player is probably Tobias Harris, a nominal SF (which seems so important to you).

I see you don't address the myriad teams building around similarly sized, switchable players at the 2-4 positions, so thanks for conceding that. The idea that LeBron and Kawhi do not complement each other on the court is such garbage that it is unremarkable you gave up trying to defend it.
Yea they are building that way copying the Warriors. None of it has worked yet , because nobody else has the 3 best shooters/scorers in the league. Rockets and Celtics look to be the closest from what we have seen. But neither of those teams have shown the ability to score enough for it to matter.

Cavs small ball lineup was not good defensively. Plus we all know that Kyrie was the lynch pin to the title they actually won. Along with the injuries and poor decision making by Draymond to get suspended.

I look at players skill sets too. Kawhi isn't a great passer , he is much more of the traditional scorer SF.

You make sure you find your way back in the thread in the next year when Kawhi being moved goes down.
LOL, don't worry kiddo, I'm not going anywhere. But I can say right now that if Kawhi spurns the Lakers it's not because he thinks he couldn't mesh with LeBron.

Yeah, but PGs wavering is not dispositive on what Kawhi will do. PG's decision is a headscratcher. I'll acknowled that.
Definitely doesn't mean Kawhi wont wind up there, but in the last 3-4 years I've heard many say at various times that Love, Westbrook and PG were each going to wind up in LA.

Not sure what it is....that they don't trust LA management/Magic, at this point is Lebron not the lure many think (in PG's case.....Kyrie seems to think so).

I will say I wonder how Magic became such a teflon man who will not face ridicule from most fans nor the media.

I am 100% sure Gilbert and Altman would be getting shredded if Lebron stayed and they "allowed" Cousins to wind up in GS. Never mind letting their top player not named Lebron to walk in FA, and passing on Tatum (still early on that, but looks like a gaffe).

If its not all about basketball, if I'm the Cavs I'm making one last call....selling point to continue his Finals' streak as it's over if he stays. LA will still be there after next season.

And how do we know Kawhi is serious....were were hearing the same at this time last year before and after PG was dealt to OKC. MAybe Kawhi is dealt elsewhere and resigns.
I don't think the Lakers are putting all their hopes on Kawhi, but he's certainly a major target. Their roster structure gives them a lot of cap space for next year and given the likely progress of this upcoming season, they should be appealing to some major FAs.

LOL, don't worry kiddo, I'm not going anywhere. But I can say right now that if Kawhi spurns the Lakers it's not because he thinks he couldn't mesh with LeBron.
Okay...... Doesn't like Lebron , Clippers can pay him more potentially , don't ignore the multiple reasons I mentioned.

Since you like to bring up fandom as a factor in opinions..... Are you a Lakers fan?

Cavs small ball lineup was not good defensively. Plus we all know that Kyrie was the lynch pin to the title they actually won. Along with the injuries and poor decision making by Draymond to get suspended.
I get you are irrational at times but I think you might have gone off the deep end with this one.

Kyrie was the lynch pin? Wow. Was he important, and did he hit a huge shot? Of course, but Lebron went for 41, 41 then a triple double in Games 5, 6 and 7. He led both teams in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. Speaking of blocks, maybe you recall the one he had before Kyrie's big shot to stop an easy layup?

And, yes, Draymond suspension hurt them, but he did play in Games 6 and 7. I noticed Kyrie and Love missed nearly the entire series in 2015, and the Cavs still managed 2 victories. Delly was Lebron's #2. Think Kyrie can lead them to a couple wins with Lebron and Love out.....hell, with just Lebron out?

ADVERTISEMENT