ADVERTISEMENT

Warriors just signed DeMarcus Cousins. Wow

Unrelated news but ouch.

Sad to see. He’s still got time to turn it around, but he’s looking to be one of the worst cases of wasted potential in the league.

From what I heard when he left UK and what I’ve read since, he put a lot of boys on and brought them along for the ride, and none of them were good news.

I don’t think his head has been in it since he got that first check.

Hate to hear this. Really wanted him and A.D. to create something special. Not a GS fan. I like seeing a team build, not just start signing everyone to instantly launch them into championships. That's more like the Olympics.

Cousins will never be the same with that kind of injury, but still a decent deal for the Warriors if he is ready for playoffs and wont cause locker room problems. He was a 25/12 player prior to the injury, and he will be only half as good when he gets back to the court, so around 12/6. Thats still better than Pachulia and Mcgee I guess, and if he can be even better than Bogut in 2015 it will be a steal for the Warriors.

Just dont expect him to be the same all star caliber center as he was, the other teams would've picked him up if theres even slightest chance of him returning to his old form. For the Warriors though, its good enough even if he can only be half the man he used to be.

Found this on SBNation:

• Achilles injuries affect players over 30 the worst, often shortening their careers to just another season or two. Luckily for the Warriors, Cousins is only 28.
  • Achilles injuries aren’t career shortening for players under 30, at least not immediately
  • However, players who suffer Achilles injuries rarely reach their pre-injury peak, and certainly not for an extended amount of time.
  • Recent trends point to Achilles rehabilitation taking closer to six to eight months, rather than nine to 12 months. That’d put Cousins back around opening night. But chances are, the Warriors will play this conservatively and work to get Cousins ready for the playoffs.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Demarcus is a team cancer. Always has been. I honestly believe this was a poor decision on the warriors part.. They'll still win the title again next year but this move decreases their chances.

Lakers were about to offer him somethin huge but he wanted the guaranteed title with the Warriors. There wasnt a thing any other team could do. Just months ago Boogie was talking about how he wanted more money and instead took 5 million for 1 year. It's about getting a ring, not about what other nba owners could've done
Agree nothing he could do in LA. what's funny is if the Cavs made him an offer (with Lebron there) and he chose LA, Gilbert would get ripped.

More amusing is Lebron said he wants to play with smart players, and LA has added McGee, Stephenson and Rondo.
Lol, setting the bar high. James is done, might as well have stayed in Cleveland.

Reactions: dtgold88
More amusing is Lebron said he wants to play with smart players, and LA has added McGee, Stephenson and Rondo.
Rondo has a good basketball IQ, I think. The other two, not so much. I think LeBron is playing this season with house money, and will likely make a big run next year with some new key pieces

Do NBA fans actually enjoy the season knowing that the Warriors are going to win it all again? I mean I guess it would be fun to be a Warriors fan, but other than that it seems pointless.

Reactions: RipThru
Rondo has a good basketball IQ, I think. The other two, not so much. I think LeBron is playing this season with house money, and will likely make a big run next year with some new key pieces
Rondo probably does, but seems to be a bit of a headcase which might negate his bball IQ.

I don't doubt the plan is make a big run, but there were times, guys with LA ties like Love, Westbrook and PG were all thought to go there. None did.

Rondo does when he actually engages, but I'd think that good basketball IQ would lead him to try on defense all the time. Agreed that LeBron/Lakers thinking this is a house money season; they're signing a lot of 1 year deals for good reason, and the Warriors could start losing players as soon as next offseason.

Problem with Rondo is that he's smarter than most players he plays with and has high standards that can drive everyone else nuts. Guy is a winner though.

Not sure I really love that move for Boogie.

If he comes back and is a shell of his former self, he’s absolutely crippled his future earning potential.

On the other hand, 5M for a half season of work and some hardware isn’t exactly the worst thing in the world.

Personally, I hope he wins a ring and goes to Boston. I think Brad could put him in a position to be the best player on the court, every night.
Lol, no. I like Horford over Cousins any day of the week, Boston's lineup is just fine. They don't need washed up Boogie, who can't play a full 82 game schedule. The Achilles injury will be tough for him to get over.

Lol, no. I like Horford over Cousins any day of the week, Boston's lineup is just fine. They don't need washed up Boogie, who can't play a full 82 game schedule. The Achilles injury will be tough for him to get over.

He might never be the same, and there’s no telling how he will recover. But, Boogie was a 25/10 player on a playoff team last year. Any team could use a player with his absurd skill set.

Horford is also entering the twilight of his career, so some frontcourt moves will have to be made in the not so distant future. Not this year, but soon enough.

Just fine to get to Finals....wouldn't they want a chance to win?

why would it be Boogie or Horford? Boogie and AD played together, would think this pairing could work.

Indeed, Rondo is a smart player, he's just a prick, which is why most people don't want to play with him. But..... he does drop dimes like no other PG in the league.

Indeed, Rondo is a smart player, he's just a prick, which is why most people don't want to play with him. But..... he does drop dimes like no other PG in the league.
I wonder if the same can be said of Lebron - smart player but a prick. PG and Kyrie for sure didn't want to play with him. I would bet Cousins could have gone to LA, as well, if he called them instead.

I wonder if the same can be said of Lebron - smart player but a prick. PG and Kyrie for sure didn't want to play with him. I would bet Cousins could have gone to LA, as well, if he called them instead.
I can definitely see LeBron and Rondo butting heads since both insist on having the ball in their hands. LeBron ran the point a lot in the past, that won't fly with Rondo. Probably why LeBron and Kyrie weren't best buds either.

I am not sold on Cousins 100%. That is a bad injury , he weighs nearly 300 lbs , isn't overly athletic , not a good defender , he has a bad attitude , and has been labeled a locker room cancer , rightfully. GSW is one of 2-3 teams that could reign him in , but no guarantee. It will be January before he comes back and I can tell you he will play less than 30 MPG when he comes back. Now if Boogie comes back determined , a team guy , and in shape he can be a 16-10 guy in 26 MPG.

I'm betting Cousins is the one that passed. If we are talking about the same amount of cash who would the logical player rather play for? Hmmmmmmmm
Right.....Lakers can say whatever they want, but it doesn't mean it's true. Might have happened, but who knows?

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I am not sold on Cousins 100%. That is a bad injury , he weighs nearly 300 lbs , isn't overly athletic , not a good defender , he has a bad attitude , and has been labeled a locker room cancer , rightfully. GSW is one of 2-3 teams that could reign him in , but no guarantee. It will be January before he comes back and I can tell you he will play less than 30 MPG when he comes back. Now if Boogie comes back determined , a team guy , and in shape he can be a 16-10 guy in 26 MPG.
all true.......low risk and if nothing else stops him from going to a rival

Rondo's IQ is off the charts. Very smart player. Many of former teammates have said such.

Reactions: treyforuk
all true.......low risk and if nothing else stops him from going to a rival
Yea and if Boogie proves everyone wrong and the Warriors steam roll thru the playoffs.... He will get paid the following year. It's essentially a 1 year rental.

Yea and if Boogie proves everyone wrong and the Warriors steam roll thru the playoffs.... He will get paid the following year. It's essentially a 1 year rental.
They'll steamroll through the playoffs regardless. But, yeah, if he proves he can play someone will pay him next year.

Reactions: UKcats1988
They'll steamroll through the playoffs regardless. But, yeah, if he proves he can play someone will pay him next year.
Rockets almost had them. They are vulnerable when teams get physical with them like Houston could. Boogie healthy gives them a guy that they can dump it into and carry them when the jump shots aren't falling.

I realize there's a lot of excitement because Boogie is a Wildcat, but there's legitimate doubt about him recovering to the level he once was. Ruptured Achilles injuries usually sentence players to permanent decline or retirement: LaPhonso Ellis, Elton Brand, Chauncey Billups, Isiah Thomas. Dominique Wilkins is one of the few guys who came back strong from this setback. As far as next year goes, the acquisition means little. The Warriors were prohibitive title favorites anyway. The Lakers strange roster building is really a plan to save cap space for next year, when Kawhi and Klay will be available. LeBron signed on for 4 years, so he's in it for the long haul.

I realize there's a lot of excitement because Boogie is a Wildcat, but there's legitimate doubt about him recovering to the level he once was. Ruptured Achilles injuries usually sentence players to permanent decline or retirement: LaPhonso Ellis, Elton Brand, Chauncey Billups, Isiah Thomas. Dominique Wilkins is one of the few guys who came back strong from this setback. As far as next year goes, the acquisition means little. The Warriors were prohibitive title favorites anyway. The Lakers strange roster building is really a plan to save cap space for next year, when Kawhi and Klay will be available. LeBron signed on for 4 years, so he's in it for the long haul.
Lebron is 34 this upcoming season. 2019-2020 he is 35 and the Warriors 4 guys will all still be younger and in their prime. I don't see Lebron winning that season either. So you are telling me a 36 year old Lebron is gonna carry the Lakers? The Warriors 4 guys are all still 30 and under as well. Plus you can see Durant is on these short contracts from here on out to give himself flexibility and ability to win as much as possible. Lebron is the better player all time..... But Durant , Curry , Thompson are all gonna win more titles. I honestly think barring any major or untimely injuries the Warriors have the next 2 years in the bag. After that who knows? Might be the beginning of a Dynasty with all new players for a different franchise. Maybe the Celtics finally break through for 2-3 years? One thing for sure is father time is undefeated.

I think this Lebron move to LA is more about life after basketball as it is basketball. I do agree with you about Cousins , WIlkins had 2 good years after his injury at 33 and 34. But you saw towards the end of that 2nd season after the injury he wasn't ever gonna be the same. Boogie might be the same way. 2-3 more years of anywhere close to his younger years after the injury. The one thing that plays into Cousins favor if he can keep his weight down and maintained is he has never relied heavily on athleticism. He dominates with size , strength , and skill on the offensive end. Plus his passing ability and developed 3 point range will help keep him viable.

Lebron is 34 this upcoming season. 2019-2020 he is 35 and the Warriors 4 guys will all still be younger and in their prime. I don't see Lebron winning that season either. So you are telling me a 36 year old Lebron is gonna carry the Lakers? The Warriors 4 guys are all still 30 and under as well. Plus you can see Durant is on these short contracts from here on out to give himself flexibility and ability to win as much as possible. Lebron is the better player all time..... But Durant , Curry , Thompson are all gonna win more titles. I honestly think barring any major or untimely injuries the Warriors have the next 2 years in the bag. After that who know? Might be the beginning of a Dynasty with all new players. Father time is undefeated.

I think this Lebron move to LA is more about life after basketball as it is basketball. I do agree with you about Cousins , WIlkins had 2 good years after his at 33 and 34. But you saw towards the end of that 2nd season after the injury he wasn't ever gonna be the same. Boogie might be the same way. 2-3 more years of anywhere close to his younger years after the injury. The one thing that plays into Cousins favor if he can keep his weight down and maintained is he has never relied heavily on athleticism. He dominates with size , strength , and skill on the offensive end.
I'm sure Lebron's move is in part about life, but don't think he's abandoned the title pursuing business. Pretty much this season was already conceded to the Warriors. If Kawhi is serious about joining the Lakers as a FA and Klay (who would be a key loss from the GS dynasty) signs on, they'll be more than viable contenders next year. Don't discount the Lakers young corp.

I'm sure Lebron's move is in part about life, but don't think he's abandoned the title pursuing business. Pretty much this season was already conceded to the Warriors. If Kawhi is serious about joining the Lakers as a FA and Klay (who would be a key loss from the GS dynasty) signs on, they'll be more than viable contenders next year. Don't discount the Lakers young corp.
If you were Kawhi , what looks better to you. LA or Boston

If you were Kawhi , what looks better to you. LA or Boston
As far as strength goes, probably Boston. But aren't you aware that he's declared his desire to join the Lakers? Don't forget about Klay being available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT