ADVERTISEMENT

Traveling to Lexington/Louisville

brooky03

Jan 10, 2012
I'm going to be in the Louisville area for a handful of days. To the Kentuckian's, anything in particular I should check out?

I'm going to be in the Louisville area for a handful of days. To the Kentuckian's, anything in particular I should check out?
Hammerheads, Migo, Jack Fry’s, Jeff Ruby’s in terms of good eats. Good bars: the holy grale, mr. Lee’s, taj, Gravely, River City Drafthouse. Bourbon/Spirit stuff: Angels Envy, Copper & Kings, stitzel weller, Buffalo Trace. 8 up has a cool rooftop bar/restaurant, The Louisville Palace is super cool, there’s a new venue for music that Old Forester just made in Paristown called “Paris Town music Hall (wu tang clan is about to play there in October apparently. I’ll be in town for it. Have fun, Louisville’s way funner than Lex btw.

Hammerheads, Migo, Jack Fry’s, Jeff Ruby’s in terms of good eats. Good bars: the holy grale, mr. Lee’s, taj, Gravely, River City Drafthouse. Bourbon/Spirit stuff: Angels Envy, Copper & Kings, stitzel weller, Buffalo Trace. 8 up has a cool rooftop bar/restaurant, The Louisville Palace is super cool, there’s a new venue for music that Old Forester just made in Paristown called “Paris Town music Hall (wu tang clan is about to play there in October apparently. I’ll be in town for it. Have fun, Louisville’s way funner than Lex btw.

Sums it up pretty well. Hammerheads is hole in the wall bbq. Jack Frys sit down. Last weekend went to a speakeasy hell in high water that was pretty damn cool followed with Frys. Shrimp and grits and filet is all you need to order.

Sums it up pretty well. Hammerheads is hole in the wall bbq. Jack Frys sit down. Last weekend went to a speakeasy hell in high water that was pretty damn cool followed with Frys. Shrimp and grits and filet is all you need to order.
Need to check out hell in high water when I’m in town next, thanks for the tip!

As far as distillery tours go, within city limits, have heard good things about Old Forester’s tour. Haven’t had chance to go yet.

Within walking distance, can hit about 4-5 tours from arena district to NULU. Rabbit Hole is one of the newer distilleries in NULU. Stopped by briefly and was neat place. Didn’t get tour.

There are also a ton of tours outside of Louisville in just about every direction.

If staying downtown, highly recommend reservations at Hell or High Water; which is a speakeasy located underneath Whiskey Row. They have appetizers, but you go there for drinks around 9-10-11.

A new German bar opened up next to Hell or High Water. Gigantic mugs of beer. Plenty of bars and restaurants in that area.

Walk over the Big 4 Bridge. Visit the Hoosier gentrification on that side.

Also always recommend drinks at the Omni’s side bar w/ bowling alley. That bar and Hell or High Water are a throw back to old Louisville.

Really depends what you’re looking to do.

At O'Hare waiting for my flight and witnessed a couple weird things. First, I get a whiskey double, neat, and the bartender brings over a glass of ice water with it. He carded me too, so I'm not sure if he's trying to say something about me or what. Second, two portly fellas sat down next to me; one poured bloody mary mix into his beer with tobasco sauce. The other just added the tobasco sauce. Wtf kind of people are these?

Last edited:
At O'hare waiting for my flight and witnessed a couple weird things. First, I get a whiskey double, neat, and the bartender brings over a glass of ice water with it. He carded me too, so I'm not sure if he's trying to say something about me or what lol. Second, two portly fellas sat down next to me; one poured bloody mary mix into his beer with tobasco sauce. The other just added the tobasco sauce. Wtf kind of people are these?
Not from Kentucky. :D

Reactions: brooky03

Secret Service prepares for Trump visit to Louisville

Secret Service prepares for President Trump visit to Louisville
By Maira Ansari | August 19, 2019 at 1:37 PM EDT - Updated August 19 at 7:42 PM LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) -

When President Donald Trump comes to town, it takes a lot of work to make sure things go smoothly for him, and the public.

Crews are busy setting up equipment at the Galt House for t his visit to Louisville on Wednesday.

Trump is scheduled to deliver remarks at the 75th AMVETS Convention. AMVETS serves America’s veterans and advocates for its members. The speech on Wednesday is restricted to AMVETS members.

“We’re looking at pretty close to 2,000 members,” said Rege Riley, National Commander for AMVETS.

AMVETS is a non-partisan group. They said they are looking forward to hearing Trump talk about topics that impact veterans and the VA.

“I’m sure he’s going to talk about the different aspects and problems that are facing our veterans,” Riley said. “We hope that he is behind us, which I’m sure he is. He’s shown that from day one.”

After speaking to AMVETS members, President Trump will be heading to a private fundraiser for Gov. Matt Bevin’s reelection campaign.

WAVE 3 News spoke exclusively to the Secret Service on Monday about what they’re doing to make sure things run smoothly Wednesday.

“We look at the entire 360 environment,” said Rich Ferretti, from the United States Secret Service’s Louisville Field Office.

Ferretti said his team expects Wednesday’s visit to be much easier than Trump’s rally at Freedom Hall in 2017. Ferretti said he’s preparing for both Trump supporters and opponents.

Ferretti said it’s been all hands on deck since his office learned Trump will be visiting. Ferretti said the Galt House will be open to guests and the public, but the Secret Service will secure the hotel and restrict where Trump will speak.

“There will be bomb sweeps, k-9 explosive sweeps, parking garages underneath the hotel, ballrooms ...,” Ferretti said.

Trump will be landing in Louisville at the Kentucky Air National Guard on Wednesday afternoon.

“There aren’t many ways to get downtown, so there will be some minor traffic disruptions,” Ferretti said.

You can also expect road closures around the Galt House, no aircraft over the president’s motorcade or downtown Louisville, and no traffic on the Ohio River during the visit.

Ferretti said the Secret Service is bringing in extra agents, X-ray machines, armored vehicles and equipment.

They’ll also be monitoring social media for any threats.

The Secret Service is working with LMPD, Airport Authority, KY Air National Guard, Air Force, Army, FAA, Coast Guard, and KSP.

The same safety detail will be in place for the president’s second stop, the details for which have not been made public.

Downtown Traffic Closures

According to Louisville Downtown Partnership, road closures may spread from River Road to the North to Chestnut Street to the South, as well as Third Street to the East and Fifth Street to the West. Additional closures are possible throughout the Central Business District during the visit. Restrictions may change at any time and with limited notice.

Beginning at 6 am, the Louisville Downtown Partnership says people can expect a strict no parking/no stopping protocol will be observed on most major arterials, and will be clearly posted. Make alternative plans for deliveries, metered parking, or other on-street facilities.A number of parking garages will be partially closed or have limited entry and exits. Louisville Downtown Partnership will provide more information, specific to garage and parking limitations.Prior to and during The President’s transport to and from the airport, expect I-65 and possible additional interstates and Ohio River traffic to be closed.

With President Trump’s arrival Louisville Downtown Partnership Executive Director Rebecca Matheny asks Downtown businesses to consider the following five tips:

• Allow employees to work from home.
  • Utilize flexible hours to avoid road closure times.
  • Travel by TARC with a planned stop outside road closure areas.
  • Park in a garage outside of road closure areas.
  • Plan to be in the office during closure times and be prepared to leave the office later, if necessary.

Secret Service prepares for Trump visit to Louisville

Secret Service prepares for President Trump visit to Louisville
By Maira Ansari | August 19, 2019 at 1:37 PM EDT - Updated August 19 at 7:42 PM LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) -

When President Donald Trump comes to town, it takes a lot of work to make sure things go smoothly for him, and the public.

Crews are busy setting up equipment at the Galt House for t his visit to Louisville on Wednesday.

Trump is scheduled to deliver remarks at the 75th AMVETS Convention. AMVETS serves America’s veterans and advocates for its members. The speech on Wednesday is restricted to AMVETS members.

“We’re looking at pretty close to 2,000 members,” said Rege Riley, National Commander for AMVETS.

AMVETS is a non-partisan group. They said they are looking forward to hearing Trump talk about topics that impact veterans and the VA.

“I’m sure he’s going to talk about the different aspects and problems that are facing our veterans,” Riley said. “We hope that he is behind us, which I’m sure he is. He’s shown that from day one.”

After speaking to AMVETS members, President Trump will be heading to a private fundraiser for Gov. Matt Bevin’s reelection campaign.

WAVE 3 News spoke exclusively to the Secret Service on Monday about what they’re doing to make sure things run smoothly Wednesday.

“We look at the entire 360 environment,” said Rich Ferretti, from the United States Secret Service’s Louisville Field Office.

Ferretti said his team expects Wednesday’s visit to be much easier than Trump’s rally at Freedom Hall in 2017. Ferretti said he’s preparing for both Trump supporters and opponents.

Ferretti said it’s been all hands on deck since his office learned Trump will be visiting. Ferretti said the Galt House will be open to guests and the public, but the Secret Service will secure the hotel and restrict where Trump will speak.

“There will be bomb sweeps, k-9 explosive sweeps, parking garages underneath the hotel, ballrooms ...,” Ferretti said.

Trump will be landing in Louisville at the Kentucky Air National Guard on Wednesday afternoon.

“There aren’t many ways to get downtown, so there will be some minor traffic disruptions,” Ferretti said.

You can also expect road closures around the Galt House, no aircraft over the president’s motorcade or downtown Louisville, and no traffic on the Ohio River during the visit.

Ferretti said the Secret Service is bringing in extra agents, X-ray machines, armored vehicles and equipment.

They’ll also be monitoring social media for any threats.

The Secret Service is working with LMPD, Airport Authority, KY Air National Guard, Air Force, Army, FAA, Coast Guard, and KSP.

The same safety detail will be in place for the president’s second stop, the details for which have not been made public.

Downtown Traffic Closures

According to Louisville Downtown Partnership, road closures may spread from River Road to the North to Chestnut Street to the South, as well as Third Street to the East and Fifth Street to the West. Additional closures are possible throughout the Central Business District during the visit. Restrictions may change at any time and with limited notice.

Beginning at 6 am, the Louisville Downtown Partnership says people can expect a strict no parking/no stopping protocol will be observed on most major arterials, and will be clearly posted. Make alternative plans for deliveries, metered parking, or other on-street facilities.A number of parking garages will be partially closed or have limited entry and exits. Louisville Downtown Partnership will provide more information, specific to garage and parking limitations.Prior to and during The President’s transport to and from the airport, expect I-65 and possible additional interstates and Ohio River traffic to be closed.

With President Trump’s arrival Louisville Downtown Partnership Executive Director Rebecca Matheny asks Downtown businesses to consider the following five tips:

• Allow employees to work from home.
  • Utilize flexible hours to avoid road closure times.
  • Travel by TARC with a planned stop outside road closure areas.
  • Park in a garage outside of road closure areas.
  • Plan to be in the office during closure times and be prepared to leave the office later, if necessary.

Jesus

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT