ADVERTISEMENT

Time to revisit the should Zion play question?

That wasn't fun?
tenor.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
My thoughts are twofold and probably shared by most if folks stop and arent reactionary.

A. If he wants to shut it down, I cant blame him. I dont like it, I think its bullshit and makes a mockery of the game; but hes looking at life changing money. Guaranteeing he gorea as the top pick by not unnecessarily risking further injury to secure millions and millions isnt rocket science. But they are doing this in bowl games and now this in basketball.....

B. If thats big of an issue, dont sign up to play college ball. All the politics of what benefits are permissible, profit NCAA makes and all that bs aside, if you dont like it then dont sign up.

Im a fan. A UK fan. I am about what is best for my program. I do not care about the NBA or its interests. I do not care about what is good for these guys for the next level. All I care about is UK winning SEC and national championships. If its not about that goal, I simply don't care. Get rid of the Top 25 guys every year and OAD? Great. I. Do. Not. Care. Show me whos coming to Lexington next season to help build for an SEC and March run. Period, point blank end of story. .

You had me at A and B, but lost me on that last paragraph. I don't follow the NBA much, but I still care about these guys' careers and root for them whenever possible.

You had me at A and B, but lost me on that last paragraph. I don't follow the NBA much, but I still care about these guys' careers and root for them whenever possible.
Fair enough. Its not like I wish them ill will, I just dont care. Or rather, i care to the extent that their success shines positive light on UK in recruits eyes so we get more top recruits.

Its a parasitic, or symbiotic relationship perhaps more appropo between these kinds of players, the schools, and the fans.

These OADs arent about the school. Theyre about the path that best gets them to the NBA.
These schools aren't about the players. Theyre about getting the most money from fans and increased enrollment by gaining increased media exposure.
Fan arent about anything other than seeing teams win games and titles.

It is what it is and Im not going to delude myself into believing anything other than that. Im about Kentucky winning games, point blank period. The rest of it means dick to me beyond, as I said, those same ends of us winning. But Im not going to pretend like I care about what happens in the NBA over it. I dont.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Zion will be back by the Miami game next Saturday at the latest. He's simply listed as day-to-day with a mild sprain.

Pro Football Doc already confirmed that his sprain is less severe than Reid Travis' from UK and Travis should be back in 2 weeks too.

@LetsGoDuke301

Well. Not quite the gotcha you were hoping for, I am sure. But I will give you 2/10. If he is back by Saturday, nish would have been two games off. But either way, that is an opinion of a fan on the internet. Still waiting to see who told you it would be any day.

I just showed you who told me. That was a proclamation of 1 week at the latest.

Or is this another Duke fan I should ignore? Pretty soon it will just be you, @tw3301 and @Dattier.

ETA- look, I want Zion back too- one reason being that I don’t think you are winning it all with him playing.

I just showed you who told me. That was a proclamation of 1 week at the latest.

Or is this another Duke fan I should ignore? Pretty soon it will just be you, @tw3301 and @Dattier.

ETA- look, I want Zion back too- one reason being that I don’t think you are winning it all with him playing.
Hey, I gave you 2/10. It would be higher if he had said right away, like you suggested.

And you may be right about Duke not winning it all with him. But they sure as hell aren't doing it without him.

The problem with Zion from here on out is tournament games requiring multiple games in a short period of time that could start a recovering knee swelling and setting back the timetable for full recovery. I don't think it is going to be wise to play Zion many minutes in a conference tournament.

Kentucky has to ease Reid Travis back for the same reasons, but they have an advantage over Duke's situation due to Travis's role. Travis can ease back to action for 5-10 minutes at first and still help the team. Zion is no role player and if he comes back for cameos that will threaten the team patterns of roles that have developed in his absence.

The problem with Zion from here on out is tournament games requiring multiple games in a short period of time that could start a recovering knee swelling and setting back the timetable for full recovery. I don't think it is going to be wise to play Zion many minutes in a conference tournament.

Kentucky has to ease Reid Travis back for the same reasons, but they have an advantage over Duke's situation due to Travis's role. Travis can ease back to action for 5-10 minutes at first and still help the team. Zion is no role player and if he comes back for cameos that will threaten the team patterns of roles that have developed in his absence.
If he is 100%, there won't be any swelling or setbacks. If he has swelling and setbacks, that would mean that he was brought back too soon. And I am all about threatening the team pattern roles that have developed in his absence. One, because I am not sure exactly what that means. And two, because... Have you seen Duke play in his absence?

If he is 100%, there won't be any swelling or setbacks. If he has swelling and setbacks, that would mean that he was brought back too soon. And I am all about threatening the team pattern roles that have developed in his absence. One, because I am not sure exactly what that means. And two, because... Have you seen Duke play in his absence?

The pattern of roles statement is a polite way of saying that people who have been getting a certain amount of shots in Zion's absence are going to have to adjust to the return of the 8th Wonder of the World.

As for the "100%" wish, we are not going to know for sure until we see how the knee reacts to playing in an actual game. And a setback now is not the same as a setback in early January that merely delays a return. A setback now is a high profile end of the season that is not going to do the credibility of the Duke coach any good.

The pattern of roles statement is a polite way of saying that people who have been getting a certain amount of shots in Zion's absence are going to have to adjust to the return of the 8th Wonder of the World.

As for the "100%" wish, we are not going to know for sure until we see how the knee reacts to playing in an actual game. And a setback now is not the same as a setback in early January that merely delays a return. A setback now is a high profile end of the season that is not going to do the credibility of the Duke coach any good.
Thanks doc.

Probably should not play Saturday because they look at the regular season so heavy and with a loss I think Duke would still be a one, especially if they excuse it like the first one. However, if he does play and they lose (not saying they would for sure or anything) then that becomes a little shaky. I think they would try and preserve that 1 line. Maybe not though.

All of those shots that guys won't be getting when Zion comes back, they were not getting before he was hurt. You know, when Duke was ranked #1 in the country and by almost every measurable there is to rank college basketball teams? I am very happy to see less bricks being thrown up by those guys who are getting a couple more shots a game in the absence of the best college basketball player. It makes Duke a much better team and if you have watched just 5 minutes of the games Duke has been without Zion, you would be saying something completely different than what you posted.

Probably should not play Saturday because they look at the regular season so heavy and with a loss I think Duke would still be a one, especially if they excuse it like the first one. However, if he does play and they lose (not saying they would for sure or anything) then that becomes a little shaky. I think they would try and preserve that 1 line. Maybe not though.
I wouldn't let him play until the ACC tourny at the earliest. I might not even let him play in that. I believe the Duke staff, Zion and his family are doing everything the correct way here. Fairly certain if he was collecting checks in the NBA and the playoffs were going, he would be playing right now. However, this is none of those things and caution is way to go. Frankly, Zion should have never played a second of college basketball if the NBA would get the OAD rule correct. IMO.

Reactions: kl40504
I wouldn't let him play until the ACC tourny at the earliest. I might not even let him play in that. I believe the Duke staff, Zion and his family are doing everything the correct way here. Fairly certain if he was collecting checks in the NBA and the playoffs were going, he would be playing right now. However, this is none of those things and caution is way to go. Frankly, Zion should have never played a second of college basketball if the NBA would get the OAD rule correct. IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, at this point the big dance is really what is most important team wise and it isn't like Zion needs to showcase any more. Dude is legit. Play it safe with him and give yourself a chance at the main goal.

So do you think he'll come back mid-tourney, similar to Kyrie?

So do you think he'll come back mid-tourney, similar to Kyrie?
In last night's press conference, Krzyzewski said that he would be surprised if Zion would be ready by this Saturday's game vs unc. But that he would be back by the ACCT. He even said that he hoped that he would play in multiple ACCT games because that would mean that they didn't lose their first game.

To me, I think he could play this Saturday just based off of comments by K and similar injuries to other players and their recovery time. Bagley came back from the same injury, almost looked worse, last year in 15 days and never looked back. Obviously that is just my unprofessional opinion. It would not surprise me a bit if Krzyzewski is making a decision to hold him out another week to play it safe and focus on the big picture and the ultimate goal.

The problem I have with this is I don't believe for a second that Zion is actually hurt. He barely tweaked his knee, was able to walk to the locker room on his own with at most a very slight limp. Compare that to Marvin Bagley who had the same exact diagnosis and 1-2 week time frame of recovery, yet he had to be carried off the court and to the locker room by teammates because of the pain. That is the normal response to a knee strain/injury that would require one to miss time.

I'm convinced Zion tweaked it a bit and then his family freaked out about the draft and they decided to keep him out for several games and then just bring him back for UNC and the tourney to lessen his exposure to a potential real injury.

Zion could've played the very next game and probably could've come back and played the game he got hurt in.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

In last night's press conference, Krzyzewski said that he would be surprised if Zion would be ready by this Saturday's game vs unc. But that he would be back by the ACCT. He even said that he hoped that he would play in multiple ACCT games because that would mean that they didn't lose their first game.

To me, I think he could play this Saturday just based off of comments by K and similar injuries to other players and their recovery time. Bagley came back from the same injury, almost looked worse, last year in 15 days and never looked back. Obviously that is just my unprofessional opinion. It would not surprise me a bit if Krzyzewski is making a decision to hold him out another week to play it safe and focus on the big picture and the ultimate goal.
I get the same feeling with Travis. It's makes sense to hold them out until the tournaments.

The problem I have with this is I don't believe for a second that Zion is actually hurt. He barely tweaked his knee, was able to walk to the locker room on his own with at most a very slight limp. Compare that to Marvin Bagley who had the same exact diagnosis and 1-2 week time frame of recovery, yet he had to be carried off the court and to the locker room by teammates because of the pain. That is the normal response to a knee strain/injury that would require one to miss time.

I'm convinced Zion tweaked it a bit and then his family freaked out about the draft and they decided to keep him out for several games and then just bring him back for UNC and the tourney to lessen his exposure to a potential real injury.

Zion could've played the very next game and probably could've come back and played the game he got hurt in.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

To promote this theory, have you noticed how he jumps 3 feet in the air...off his chair when Barrett makes a big play. It's been shown a couple of times on the zion cam.

Reid Travis barely cheers at all.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
To promote this theory, have you noticed how he jumps 3 feet in the air...off his chair when Barrett makes a big play. It's been shown a couple of times on the zion cam.

yep and he looked completely fine the game after he got hurt as well.

It's cool, can't say I blame him for wanting to shut it down rather than risk a real injury pre-draft. Will be very happy if he comes back even if it's just for the tournament.

yep and he looked completely fine the game after he got hurt as well.

It's cool, can't say I blame him for wanting to shut it down rather than risk a real injury pre-draft. Will be very happy if he comes back even if it's just for the tournament.
Who can blame OAD's for only wanting to play in the NCAA tournament?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Win or lose I was hoping Zion would play Saturday. The Dean Dome is gonna be jumping anyway because it’s Duke but the atmosphere would of been off the charts if he’s playing.

Or just sit out the rest of the year. No bias on my part. None at all. Let’s just be careful with him. ;)

Sit til the ACC tournament. Get healthy for a title run. That's what I'd do with him. Playing Saturday is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Sit til the ACC tournament. Get healthy for a title run. That's what I'd do with him. Playing Saturday is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
I wouldn't play him in the ACCT. Duke's all but guaranteed a #1 seed, and when fully healthy it wouldn't matter if they were a #2. They'd have to be the favorite to win it all despite the seed.

Absolutely not, beating UNC is a top of the wish list for any Duke season and getting swept by the Holes is unacceptable.

If he's healthy, he should play. Twiddling his thumbs in his room and on the bench isn't going to make him better for the tournament.

I wouldn't play him in the ACCT. Duke's all but guaranteed a #1 seed, and when fully healthy it wouldn't matter if they were a #2. They'd have to be the favorite to win it all despite the seed.
False, UNC would be a #1 Seed if they beat us Saturday and we'd be Tennessee's #2 Seed.

As much as I do not want Duke to get swept by unc, the difference in a 2 seed and a 3 seed in the ACCT is not much of a difference. So outside of the rivalry, it is kind of a meaningless game.

Absolutely not, beating UNC is a top of the wish list for any Duke season and getting swept by the Holes is unacceptable.

If he's healthy, he should play. Twiddling his thumbs in his room and on the bench isn't going to make him better for the tournament.
The national championship is at the top of the wish list for this Duke fan.

As much as I do not want Duke to get swept by unc, the difference in a 2 seed and a 3 seed in the ACCT is not much of a difference. So outside of the rivalry, it is kind of a meaningless game.

The national championship is at the top of the wish list for this Duke fan.
giphy.gif

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301

You are thinking as a fan though. He isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT