ADVERTISEMENT

They're overdue.

Which should happen first?

• KU vs Missouri OOC series

• UK vs IU OOC series

• Pete Rose in the HOF

Results are only viewable after voting.
No one will ever break his hits record.

They used to say that about Ty Cobb until Charlie Hustle came along.
Pete only broke the record because of his health and longevity in the game. Playing 23 years of baseball allowed him to rack up over 14K at-bats. His career average was only .303 and while that's a great career average, it's nothing spectacular (Cobb hit .367 for comparison). Ichiro would've broken the record had he not played professionally in Japan for 9 years prior to joining MLB.

Pete only broke the record because of his health and longevity in the game. Playing 23 years of baseball allowed him to rack up over 14K at-bats. His career average was only .303 and while that's a great career average, it's nothing spectacular (Cobb hit .367 for comparison). Ichiro would've broken the record had he not played professionally in Japan for 9 years prior to joining MLB.
You can't discredit an all time sports record that will never be broken.

Funny-Monkey-Fingers-In-Ears.jpg

Also it's funny you said, "only because Health and longevity".

You can't discredit an all time sports record that will never be broken.

Funny-Monkey-Fingers-In-Ears.jpg

Also it's funny you said, "only because Health and longevity".
I'm not discrediting it, I love me some Pete! I am a huge Reds fan. I'm just saying it's not exactly like his bat was on fire. He was, however, the model of consistency. Plenty of those hits were beat out by pure will on his part. He def gave 110% all the time.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Hell yeah! Although he looked a lot better doing it in a Reds uniform. The best was when he barrelled over Ray Fosse to score the winning run in the 12th inning of the All-Star game. Try telling Pete the ASG is just for fun! Dude played to win.

For the young ones.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
No one will ever break his hits record.

They used to say that about Ty Cobb until Charlie Hustle came along.

Tony Gwynn was one of the best hitters I ever saw, absolute model of consistency, stayed healthy, and barely got to 3,000 hits before he retired - don't get me wrong, 3,000 hits is an amazing hallmark that's very rare, but point being, as good as Gwynn was, he got like 25% less career hits than Pete.

That record ain't getting broken, imo. Though pitching is getting shittier every year it seems...

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
There are rumblings of UK and IU playing again. Saw a news blurb on google the other day.

Rose should no doubt be in the hall of fame. There are cheaters and despicable characters already in the hof.

You can't on one hand discredit him for playing 23 years and then in the next sentence say that hitting .303 over a 23 year age period isn't spectacular. Extremely hypocritical take.

That .303 average takes into account all those years he kept playing past his prime. Him batting .303 over 23 years is more impressive than someone else hitting .330 over a 10 year period IMO. I mean c'mon, the guy played 119 games at age 44 and bat .264. You really want to hold his career batting average against him???

Reactions: KisteK and GG24
You can't on one hand discredit him for playing 23 years and then in the next sentence say that hitting .303 over a 23 year age period isn't spectacular. Extremely hypocritical take.

That .303 average takes into account all those years he kept playing past his prime. Him batting .303 over 23 years is more impressive than someone else hitting .330 over a 10 year period IMO. I mean c'mon, the guy played 119 games at age 44 and bat .264. You really want to hold his career batting average against him???
Yes, and it's not hypocritical at all. It is what it is, a career .303 hitter. If he doesn't play well past his prime he's not "the hit king" either. Can't have it both ways. He had 1,700 more at-bats than the second closest on the list, Hank Aaron, and nearly 2,700 more than Cobb. I'm as big a Rose fan as anyone. Was born in Cincinnati and raised 10 minutes away, grew up watching him. But he was far from being the best hitter the game has ever seen, not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue79
Pete Rose all day long. I’m no a Reds fan (RedSox) but he should be in the HOF!

I wish the Reds had the Red Sox unlimited payroll. They could probably buy a pretty good team, too. Winking

Don't worry. About the time all their young talent starts to figure it out they won't be able to afford them. At best they will have maybe a two year window or so to win some games. Frustrating as hell.

Don't worry. About the time all their young talent starts to figure it out they won't be able to afford them. At best they will have maybe a two year window or so to win some games. Frustrating as hell.
Yep, guys like Suarez and Scooter will leave for the highest bidder soon. That is why baseball desperately needs a salary cap. Small market teams desperately have to rely on a solid minor league system and just can't afford to be wrong on guys, suffer injuries, etc. Their farm system is everything. For the money bag teams it really doesn't matter much. They'll let another team draft and develop young talent and then pluck them away as soon as their rookie contracts expire. I am interested to see who the Reds pick at #5 tomorrow. For a #2 overall pick, Greene is getting his ass handed to him right now, in freakin' single A. That is bad. I get that he is young, but the #2 pick in any year should be damn near major league ready at the moment they are drafted.

Yep, guys like Suarez and Scooter will leave for the highest bidder soon. That is why baseball desperately needs a salary cap. Small market teams desperately have to rely on a solid minor league system and just can't afford to be wrong on guys, suffer injuries, etc. Their farm system is everything. For the money bag teams it really doesn't matter much. They'll let another team draft and develop young talent and then pluck them away as soon as their rookie contracts expire. I am interested to see who the Reds pick at #5 tomorrow. For a #2 overall pick, Greene is getting his ass handed to him right now, in freakin' single A. That is bad. I get that he is young, but the #2 pick in any year should be damn near major league ready at the moment they are drafted.

Greene has been better lately but like you said, it's such a process anyway we know going in he is years away from being a contributor. Who knows about Senzel. If he can stop getting dizzy maybe he can work out.

If they would have held on to Grandal and Alonzo instead of trading for Latos (though I get why they did it at the time) they would be in better shape right now.

I don't know. I feel like they have some young guys pitching who can be good down the road but by the time they are it will be time to get rid of them because they can't afford them anyway. If they could just get some decent starting pitching they could at least be decent but they just can't. The Homer deal has to go down as one of the worst ever at this point. My 13-year-old has more movement on his pitches right now.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Greene has been better lately but like you said, it's such a process anyway we know going in he is years away from being a contributor. Who knows about Senzel. If he can stop getting dizzy maybe he can work out.

If they would have held on to Grandal and Alonzo instead of trading for Latos (though I get why they did it at the time) they would be in better shape right now.

I don't know. I feel like they have some young guys pitching who can be good down the road but by the time they are it will be time to get rid of them because they can't afford them anyway. If they could just get some decent starting pitching they could at least be decent but they just can't. The Homer deal has to go down as one of the worst ever at this point. My 13-year-old has more movement on his pitches right now.
Yep, the Homer deal crippled them for years. A small market team just can't dump that kind of money into someone that plays once a week. Doesn't help that he hasn't been healthy since the deal was made either. The re-build needs to be rebuilt, at this point. Sick

They'll put rose in the hof after he dies. Bet

BrIxa2l.jpg

Though pitching is getting shittier every year it seems...

All evidence to the contrary.

Him batting .303 over 23 years is more impressive than someone else hitting .330 over a 10 year period IMO. I mean c'mon, the guy played 119 games at age 44 and bat .264. You really want to hold his career batting average against him???

Had he ended his career after the 1978 season (when he got to 3000 hits; 1979 was his last good season), his OPS+ would have been 126, or 220th all time. Take his career as a whole and consider that he made more out than anyone else in baseball history by a country mile, and that he had more hits than anyone else. It's a HOF resume sans the gambling (the one thing that gets someone a perma-ban), but he's not at the top of the pyramid by any stretch.

Reactions: KisteK
not even sure why I weighed in on this conversation. Baseball is ghey.

I thought about saying Mizzou/Kansas but Mizzou seems to enjoy being owned by UK. They don't need to bother KU any more, we got it covered.
Appreciate that, brother. We’re sick of their smell. It’s nice knowing you’re picking up where we left off. Enjoy the guaranteed wins vs their dumb ass every year.

Yep, the Homer deal crippled them for years. A small market team just can't dump that kind of money into someone that plays once a week. Doesn't help that he hasn't been healthy since the deal was made either. The re-build needs to be rebuilt, at this point. Sick

You forgot the terrible Votto deal. My dad and brother are Reds fans. They chose that misery. At least I've saw the Marlins win 2x. I was born right after the wire to wire season in December of 90, so I have never saw the Reds win it. Saw Cubs and Red Sox but not the Reds.

You forgot the terrible Votto deal. My dad and brother are Reds fans. They chose that misery. At least I've saw the Marlins win 2x. I was born right after the wire to wire season in December of 90, so I have never saw the Reds win it. Saw Cubs and Red Sox but not the Reds.
1990 was awesome.... I was 12. Wire-to-wire and swept the A's, who were a massive favorite. It was the prime of my baseball fanhood, to say the least. Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT