Votes: 43 72.9%
  • South

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Midwest

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • West

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
I'm not buying Purdue #1 seed. They're basically the same team as last year #1 that lost in the first round to #16 Fairfield Dickinson. The second time the #16 defeated #1.
The biggest difference is they’ve improved shooting the three. They e drastically improved in that regard. So they’re far less likely to go cold against a lesser opponent like they did last year.

ball-drake.gif

East is the toughest.

Midwest is #3 or #4.

It's now or never for Matt Painter, the table is set.

Purdue’s style of play is to surround the most dominant big in college ball with shooters. Last year, those shooters were bad. This year, they are really really good at hitting them.
Again, not disagreeing with you. Whether the players are better, or not, is not the subject of the conversation. Purdue has far more similarities to last year than differences. Are they better? Sure, but the stype of.play is the same and the roster is damn close to the same.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
I mean, you can say the same about '19 Virginia and '22 KU.
Sure, but what does that have to do with what we're talking about?

I'm not sure why Purdue fans are getting bent out of shape. Nobody is saying they suck, we're just saying they are very similar to what they were last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03

I'm not sure why Purdue fans are getting bent out of shape. Nobody is saying they suck, we're just saying they are very similar to what they were last year.
Purdue has been getting dragged terribly on socials of late. They are more than a little sensitive.

Reactions: LeroyOU12
Not true again. Do some research already.
It's more similar than different. Again, we're not talking about which team is better, of course the '24 team is better than the '23 team, because the players are each individually better, but the roster is damn near identical and the style of play IS identical.

• Haha
Purdue has been getting dragged terribly on socials of late. They are more than a little sensitive.
They've been sensitive all year, but damn, when you have the 3 year tournament losses that they have had, you have to just own it.

Hell, I have no problem pointing and laughing at UK… we deserve it.

Reactions: LeroyOU12
Can one of you Boilies come get @Boilermaker03 from the IU home site? He seems to be lost.

He isn't convincing anyone to bow down to PU and in fact is hurting your cause.

Dude is freaking annoying.
Wait, dude is over on an Indiana home board acting like a homer?

It's hilarious how so many people defend their team and conference to the death, then call others 'homers'. That dude is one of them.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
It's more similar than different. Again, we're not talking about which team is better, of course the '24 team is better than the '23 team, because the players are each individually better, but the roster is damn near identical and the style of play IS identical.
Wrong again

It's hilarious how so many people defend their team and conference to the death, then call others 'homers'. That dude is one of them.
I don’t claim him. No need to be on an IU site given both our situations.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Wrong again
You want me to be wrong, but I'm not.
Again, I'm not saying Purdue sucks, I'm just saying they have essentally the same roster with a couple of improvements and more experience and the style of play is exactly the same, better, but the same.

I don’t claim him. No need to be on an IU site given both our situations.
How the hell is he surviving on an IU site as a bragging Purdue fan? I didn’t think that was possible. Anytime I even dare to look through the mailslot over there, I see teeth, lots of teeth.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
You want me to be wrong, but I'm not.
Again, I'm not saying Purdue sucks, I'm just saying they have essentally the same roster with a couple of improvements and more experience and the style of play is exactly the same, better, but the same.
agree to disagree

How the hell is he surviving on an IU site as a bragging Purdue fan? I didn’t think that was possible. Anytime I even dare to look through the mailslot over there, I see teeth, lots of teeth.
Current mod for that particular site lets it go for long periods of time and then flushed 6 or 8 of them at once.

I don’t know about the KY sites but pu guys are all over ours desperately sobbing for respect and validation.

Current mod for that particular site lets it go for long periods of time and then flushed 6 or 8 of them at once.

I don’t know about the KY sites but pu guys are all over ours desperately sobbing for respect and validation.
I don't recall seeing any PU fans over in RR, but I'm thinking they wouldn't behave the same over there.

He may not get the same whistle, but what people keep getting wrong is that he's been officiated the same all season long. Not just in the B10. So either ALL officials are trying to protect him and may choose not to in the tournament. OR, they decide to not allow the advantage Edey has during the tournament by swallowing the whistle. Time will tell. But this notion that the B10 refs protect him is just incorrect.
Ok, if I'm wrong I'll be wrong. Good thing is we will get to see.

the south is tough, but your reasoning is total nonsense. The south is NOT good because NC State won a national championship in 1983 or because Wisconsin won it all in 19friggen41.

GTFO with this garbage.
I know, right...

JFC----Wisconisn missed 103 straight NCAAT after the title in 1941. NC State hasn't been to the FF since that magical title in 1983.

My gawd...

The rosters were 90% the same and they played in the same system. Very different results than the year before.

Trying to figure out how this is consistent with you and mcnick arguing that SEC teams are completely different than a couple months ago.

The rosters were 90% the same and they played in the same system. Very different results than the year before.

Trying to figure out how this is consistent with you and mcnick arguing that SEC teams are completely different than a couple months ago.
Well, teams improve throughout the season, but some regress, or hit a wall, sometimes due to injuries.

But Ihm not talking about that and I don't think I ever have. Don't drag me into the discussion you were having with him.

I'm comparing Purdue 2023 to Purdue 2024, that’s a completely different subject.

No thanks, Purdue bball bores the shit out of me.
Why don't you just say what's so different? You crushed the other poster by saying he doesn't know shit about basketball because he can't tell that Purdue is completely different… . but they're really not that different.
Several things. First of all, Smith has become one of the best point guards in the country and one of the most effective pick and roll scorers in the country. His decision making is vastly improved and he doesn't make nearly as many poor decisions where he turns the ball over. One example is how he used to jump in the air while driving to the lane to make a pass. Now he stops and uses his pivot to find his man which has been much more effective. One point made in the video I linked was that Smith is shooting 44% from pull up 2's and 43% from pull up 3's from pick and roll situations. The season average of all players is 38% and 30% respectively.

Second, we went from a very poor 3 point shooting team (32%) to one of the best (41%). One reason that happened was because two guys that played big minutes last year, Morton and First, barely see the floor anymore. Both were very poor 3 point shooters in the mid to low 20% area. The other reason is the addition of Lance Jones and improved shooting across the board. We have 6 guys shooting over 40% from 3 and several over 45% from 3 including Gillis who's 48% from 3 on 52-108 shooting. These numbers don't include Zach obviously since he's only 1-2.

Third, another point made in the video, last year Edey took 52% of his post ups on the left block, 30% from the middle of the lane and 18% from the right block. This year it's 38% from the left block, 44% from the middle of the lane and 18% from the right block. In doing so, they are using a lot more high low action. By doing this, it makes it hard to double on Edey since there's no weak side of the floor. Also, because of this action, sometimes defenders try to anticipate it so they will be turned the wrong direction on Edey causing them to have poor positioning when they do give it to Edey on the block.

There are several things that become much more effective with all of this. There's a lot of re-screening action for Smith if defenders blitz or hedge him from penetrating the lane, and there is a lot of re-posting action for Edey on double teams. The re-post action is difficult to defend because there's pretty much never a shooter on the floor that shoots lower than 40% other than Jones, but the biggest reason Jones' numbers are below 40% is because many times he's the one that takes the last second shots (not just end of half or game but shot clock situations) and they end up being deep. When he's on the 3 point line he's a much better shooter.

There's more to it then that, but this is a big part of it.

Reactions: boilerzz
What I have noticed, is Edey plays zero defense, which is smart, but it's going to bite you guys.

If you watch him, he stands in the paint with his arms up and he backs away, leaving the rim wide open. He does it to avoid foul trouble, because he knows he has to stay on the court for Purdue to win.
Someone is going to make him play defense and make the other 4 players beat them.
If Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern can beat Purdue, so can a lot of other teams.
Yes, the guy who is on the all defensive team plays zero defense. Good lord.

Yes, there are times where he does this. Typically if he's already in foul trouble, but that's not how he plays by default. Have you even watched a full game of ours?

by his logic, if we don't buy Purdue as a #1 seed...we don't know shit about CBB. He sounds like CBB evolves around Purdue. Pretty comical and short sighted.
Nobody is making any such claim. How can anyone that knows anything about CBB make a statement as absurd as you guys have knowing how many good teams Purdue has beaten? In fact, they haven't lost against a single ranked team. The games they did lose they had off nights where turnovers became too many because of poor decision making and the other team went nuclear from 3. Two of our losses the teams shot 50% or 60% from 3 even though most shots were contested.

Last edited:
What is so wrong with what I said?
Are 6 out of the top 7 player NOT different?
Is the playing style different?

Tell me what is wrong with what I asked?
Starting lineup is different by 40%. Rotations are completely different. Some high minute players from last year almost never see the floor. Not to mention all of the changed action I mentioned above as well as the vast improved play of Smith and Loyer.

Last edited:
The top 4 are as good as any? That's a pretty big stretch. Nebraska and Northwestern tied for third. Regardless, it's not like Purdue is playing one of the top four teams every night. There are a bunch of bad/mediocre teams in that league. And when's the last time the Big 10 did well in the tourney?
I should have been more specific. Top four in the metrics.

Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan St

Even though MSU had a very disappointing year, they've been playing well down the stretch. Wisconsin as well. They've played much better as of late. Not sure why they had the skids mid season, but they started strong and ended strong.
KU may not have a vintage team this season, but they've still proven they can beat anybody when healthy. How healthy they are remains to be seen. But the fact that they struggled in the Big 12 after beating UConn, Tenn and Kentucky in the non-con should tell you something about the strength of the league.
No doubt. I never said they aren't good enough to beat people, just that they aren't, as you said, vintage Kansas. They beat UConn without one of their best players and Kentucky wasn't 100% then either. Tennessee win was a very good one.

Sorry, the league though just isn't as good this year as it was last year. That's just my opinion. I was a believer in it last year. Not this year. It's still the 2nd best conference though. In my opinion.
As a whole, the Big 12 may not have proven a lot in the non-con, but they've proven plenty in recent years. Anyone reasonable knew that adding Houston to what was already considered the top league would probably result in a pretty good conference. I suppose you'd think they're less overrated if they'd played more good teams and lost to them, like other leagues?
Yes, the B12 has proven themselves in other years, but as B10 fans will tell you, just because you were good last year as a whole doesn't mean you will be the next. Things change. Especially with the volatility in today's game from the transfer portal.
Okay....so they played a handful of solid teams in OOC and a handful in league play. Not sure how that adds up to by far the toughest schedule. The computers don't agree either.
Per the NET it's the 1# OOC schedule and the #2 overall schedule.

Let's go on down the line. First number will be OOC and the second overall schedule. These are in no particular order.

Purdue: 1, 2
Houston: 88, 8
UConn: 218, 87
Auburn: 93, 25
Iowa St: 305, 32
Tennessee: 8, 6
North Carolina: 43, 13
Alabama: 3, 1
Duke: 152, 80
Creighton: 63, 56
BYU: 295, 74
Illinios: 69, 19
Marquette: 23, 26
Baylor: 91, 9
Kentucky: 193, 63
Kansas: 50, 7
Arizona: 2, 17

Alabama and Arizona are the only other teams that come close in scheduling. Both played Purdue and both lost to Purdue.

Going by ppg:
Edey
Loyer
Smith
Gillis
Newman
Furst
Kauffman Renn

Edey
Smith
Jones
Loyer
Gillis
Kauffman-Renn
Heide
Furst

So, I was off by 1, Heide at 3.1ppg is just above Furst's 2.4. We're splitting hairs.

Again, don't lose to a double digit seed and maybe people will trust Purdue, but y'all have lost to a 13, then a 15, then a 16, so until that changes, dudes aren't going to trust Purdue.
Love how nobody takes into account that during one of those years, Kentucky had just lost to the exact same team that beat Purdue. Also, that Covid holdover players are making mid majors much more dangerous. That FDU team that beat Purdue last year had a 23 and 24 year old guard to our 19 year old guards.

Expect mayhem this year as well. Not going to lie. It's the reason McNeese worries me. They are good and they are old. I think the have two 24 year olds on that team as well as a 22 and 21 year old. They won't be afraid of anyone and will let it fly.

Cool, he's still one of your main players.

Is your style of play different, or is it the same? Looks exactly the same to me.
If you would have watched the video I linked, you would know the differences.

It’s not different. It's the same style of play. I can understand hoe you want it to be different, but it's not.
Go watch the replays of our games vs Arizona, Marquette, etc. You will see that we play a much faster pace than last year as well.

Can one of you Boilies come get @Boilermaker03 from the IU home site? He seems to be lost.

He isn't convincing anyone to bow down to PU and in fact is hurting your cause.

Dude is freaking annoying.
I see you're lying about me again. I'm not even pumping PU over there. Trying to win brownie points here since you're so loathed? You're a real looser to stoop to such means.

Oh, I don't know. Because Virginia lost to a 16 and then won it all the next year with "basically the same roster".

Reactions: ExitFlagger

No I'm not. You should know Courtsense enough by now that he's a damn liar.

I've been talking about many different things there. I have NOT been pumping Purdue.

Because I'm not doing that. Courtsense is lying.

Current mod isn't a little bitch which you seem to be. You know damn well that I'm not acting the way you portray here.

I see you're lying about me again. I'm not even pumping PU over there. Trying to win brownie points here since you're so loathed? You're a real looser to stoop to such means.
Dude, please stop going there. You validate their rhetoric when you feel the need to post on their board. Their season is done and we are playing on. Focus on what matters.

Several things. First of all, Smith has become one of the best point guards in the country and one of the most effective pick and roll scorers in the country. His decision making is vastly improved and he doesn't make nearly as many poor decisions where he turns the ball over. One example is how he used to jump in the air while driving to the lane to make a pass. Now he stops and uses his pivot to find his man which has been much more effective. One point made in the video I linked was that Smith is shooting 44% from pull up 2's and 43% from pull up 3's from pick and roll situations. The season average of all players is 38% and 30% respectively.

Second, we went from a very poor 3 point shooting team (32%) to one of the best (41%). One reason that happened was because two guys that played big minutes last year, Morton and First, barely see the floor anymore. Both were very poor 3 point shooters in the mid to low 20% area. The other reason is the addition of Lance Jones and improved shooting across the board. We have 6 guys shooting over 40% from 3 and several over 45% from 3 including Gillis who's 48% from 3 on 52-108 shooting. These numbers don't include Zach obviously since he's only 1-2.

Third, another point made in the video, last year Edey took 52% of his post ups on the left block, 30% from the middle of the lane and 18% from the right block. This year it's 38% from the left block, 44% from the middle of the lane and 18% from the right block. In doing so, they are using a lot more high low action. By doing this, it makes it hard to double on Edey since there's no weak side of the floor. Also, because of this action, sometimes defenders try to anticipate it so they will be turned the wrong direction on Edey causing them to have poor positioning when they do give it to Edey on the block.

There are several things that become much more effective with all of this. There's a lot of re-screening action for Smith if defenders blitz or hedge him from penetrating the lane, and there is a lot of re-posting action for Edey on double teams. The re-post action is difficult to defend because there's pretty much never a shooter on the floor that shoots lower than 40% other than Jones, but the biggest reason Jones' numbers are below 40% is because many times he's the one that takes the last second shots (not just end of half or game but shot clock situations) and they end up being deep. When he's on the 3 point line he's a much better shooter.

There's more to it then that, but this is a big part of it.
You just wasted all that time typing out how individual players improved, but that's not the subject at hand.
There is very little difference in the roster, it's essentially the same, 6 if the top 8 players were on the roster last year playing important minutes and the style of play is exactly the same.
Yup, individual and team play has improved, but you still have the same players and you still run your offense through the post.

• Haha
Yes, the guy who is on the all defensive team plays zero defense. Good lord.

Yes, there are times where he does this. Typically if he's already in foul trouble, but that's not how he plays by default. Have you even watched a full game of ours?
Well, we'll find out just how good of a defender he is, sorry, I just don't see it and why would he take a chance on picking up cheap fouls? He needs to stay out of foul trouble. If he gets into foul trouble, Purdue is done.
For your sake, I hope Purdue doesn’t play a game with SEC refs. He'll be in foul trouble as soon as he steps off the bus.

Nobody is making any such claim. How can anyone that knows anything about CBB make a statement as absurd as you guys have knowing how many good Teams Purdue has beaten? In fact, they haven't lost against a single ranked team. The games they did lose they had off nights where turnovers became too many because of poor decision making and the other team went nuclear from 3. Two of our losses the teams shot 50% or 60% from 3 even though most shots were contested.
Didn't Purdue play a tough schedule last year too? How did that end again?

ADVERTISEMENT