ADVERTISEMENT

The big east needs to find a way to add Gonzaga..

And like st. Mary’s or something. Just to have two out west. Outside of geography just seems like a perfect fit with the catholic school thing. The pac 12 isn’t an option with the football thing I don’t believe
There has been rumors about it, I just don't see how logistically it makes sense for all parties. Remember that they would most likely have to bring in all of GU's other sports as well.

I go back and forth on this all the time, I wish that GU played in a stronger conference, but it may not be the best move overall. I know it's lame but GU rose to this level by winning their conference every year. When that stops happening (like if they move to the Big East) people are going to realize that Gonzaga is a small private school in the middle of nowhere with no local talent. Then factor in that this has all happened with Few as the coach. How does the program do under someone else? We don't know.

Look even at a Boise State in football. They were media darlings who won their conference every year in the WAC and made/won big time bowl games. Then Coach Peterson leaves and the MWC and WAC combine, creating a tougher conference than the previous WAC. Now they don't win the conference like they used to and their teams aren't as good.

Butler in basketball isn't a bad example either. If they were still in the Horizon, they would be going to the NCAAT every year. Now they are a middling Big East Team.

BYU leaving the conference is really going to hurt though. If there is an opportunity to go to the MWC conference, that might be a good move for them. But the MWC HAS to get rid of their CBS Sports contract and get onto ESPN. Hopefully they do move that direction with the AAC falling apart. The MWC is a much stronger Conference than the new AAC going forward.

There has been rumors about it, I just don't see how logistically it makes sense for all parties. Remember that they would most likely have to bring in all of GU's other sports as well.

I go back and forth on this all the time, I wish that GU played in a stronger conference, but it may not be the best move overall. I know it's lame but GU rose to this level by winning their conference every year. When that stops happening (like if they move to the Big East) people are going to realize that Gonzaga is a small private school in the middle of nowhere with no local talent. Then factor in that this has all happened with Few as the coach. How does the program do under someone else? We don't know.

Look even at a Boise State in football. They were media darlings who won their conference every year in the WAC and made/won big time bowl games. Then Coach Peterson leaves and the MWC and WAC combine, creating a tougher conference than the previous WAC. Now they don't win the conference like they used to and their teams aren't as good.

Butler in basketball isn't a bad example either. If they were still in the Horizon, they would be going to the NCAAT every year. Now they are a middling Big East Team.

BYU leaving the conference is really going to hurt though. If there is an opportunity to go to the MWC conference, that might be a good move for them. But the MWC HAS to get rid of their CBS Sports contract and get onto ESPN. Hopefully they do move that direction with the AAC falling apart. The MWC is a much stronger Conference than the new AAC going forward.
The issue For Gonzaga with the big conferences growing is that their is going to be less availability to schedule big teams in the non conference. Especially when they are playing 20 conference games. You guys only had 5 this year verses the power 5. Also if you were to join the big east I see you an Villanova being the top dogs on a regular basis. None of the other teams besides nova in the big east is signing talent like Gonzaga is. Gonzaga is basically recruiting like the blue bloods now. The other option would be to perhaps get this new configured big 12 to let you be a mens basketball only member. I could see them doing that more then the pac12 doing it.

The issue For Gonzaga with the big conferences growing is that their is going to be less availability to schedule big teams in the non conference. Especially when they are playing 20 conference games. You guys only had 5 this year verses the power 5. Also if you were to join the big east I see you an Villanova being the top dogs on a regular basis. None of the other teams besides nova in the big east is signing talent like Gonzaga is. Gonzaga is basically recruiting like the blue bloods now. The other option would be to perhaps get this new configured big 12 to let you be a mens basketball only member. I could see them doing that more then the pac12 doing it.
Ehh, I don't see GU having scheduling conflicts in the future. for a few reasons.
#1 Gonzaga gets into a top Pre Season tournament every year. So they always have an opportunity to get a couple quality wins
#2 The Gonzaga vs Duke game this year was the highest rated regular season game since 2019. Gonzaga games get good ratings.
#3 Few has great coaching connections and the PAC 12 has always been solid with scheduling games with GU.
#4 More teams are playing these neutral site games in pre season which actually helps GU since many big time teams have been cautious about scheduling home and homes with them.

I think the MWC is a good option. The conference has a solid basketball history. You put Gonzaga in that conference and they become a very strong conference.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I think the coaching changes had a lot more to do with the decline of those teams than the leagues changing. Especially Butler. Come on…they had Stevens. Their success dropped off as soon as he left.

Sounds like you just don’t like the idea of absorbing more losses or having legit challengers for the league title. If Gonzaga is as good as any program now, you should welcome any challenge.

Good God…watching them play Pepperdine in a high school sized gym has to put you to sleep.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
Ehh, I don't see GU having scheduling conflicts in the future. for a few reasons.
#1 Gonzaga gets into a top Pre Season tournament every year. So they always have an opportunity to get a couple quality wins
#2 The Gonzaga vs Duke game this year was the highest rated regular season game since 2019. Gonzaga games get good ratings.
#3 Few has great coaching connections and the PAC 12 has always been solid with scheduling games with GU.
#4 More teams are playing these neutral site games in pre season which actually helps GU since many big time teams have been cautious about scheduling home and homes with them.

I think the MWC is a good option. The conference has a solid basketball history. You put Gonzaga in that conference and they become a very strong conference.
There is no one currently in the mountain west that is a routine top 25 program currently. That’s no where near what the big east is. You guys would dominate that conference as well. You need actual competition

I think the coaching changes had a lot more to do with the decline of those teams than the leagues changing. Especially Butler. Come on…they had Stevens. Their success dropped off as soon as he left.

Sounds like you just don’t like the idea of absorbing more losses or having legit challengers for the league title. If Gonzaga is as good as any program now, you should welcome any challenge.

Good God…watching them play Pepperdine in a high school sized gym has to put you to sleep.
Sure Stevens is great no doubt. But they'd still be making the tournament every year if they stayed in the Horizon.

And ya you are right. I think that Gonzaga is a lot more fragile of a program than you do. Yes the school supports the program well, but they still don't compare to schools that have football money. Again, this is a small school in what is basically Idaho. It takes two poor coaching hires after Few to turn them into a poor basketball program in a larger league. In the WCC or even MWC, they could survive and stay contenders in their league.

Of course I hate watching them beat up on Pepperdine. Their conference schedule puts me to sleep too. But you are looking at Gonzaga at the peak of its power. It is not sustainable forever. But the WCC or MWC keeps them in the game.

There is no one currently in the mountain west that is a routine top 25 program currently. That’s no where near what the big east is. You guys would dominate that conference as well. You need actual competition
It's a solid conference that has a lot more money than the WCC does. Put Gonzaga in there and the other teams will get better. All of those schools have a desire to be good, they actually invest in their athletic programs. You can't say the same about the WCC schools without BYU.

Sure Stevens is great no doubt. But they'd still be making the tournament every year if they stayed in the Horizon.

And ya you are right. I think that Gonzaga is a lot more fragile of a program than you do. Yes the school supports the program well, but they still don't compare to schools that have football money. Again, this is a small school in what is basically Idaho. It takes two poor coaching hires after Few to turn them into a poor basketball program in a larger league. In the WCC or even MWC, they could survive and stay contenders in their league.

Of course I hate watching them beat up on Pepperdine. Their conference schedule puts me to sleep too. But you are looking at Gonzaga at the peak of its power. It is not sustainable forever. But the WCC or MWC keeps them in the game.
The big east schools don’t have football money either and put far more focus on basketball than the mountain west does. The big east is a perfect for other than geography for you guys. A bunch of catholic private schools. They also have longer history though.

Can Gtown hire the "right coach" and turn it around? The foundation is there.
They need to get away from the john Thompson tree. To many basketball programs seem to think they have to hire only guys with ties. Ewing is a terrible coach

Try to do basketball only then. I mean Providence Rhode Island to Omaha nebraska isn’t exactly a quick trip now and they make it work
IDK what to tell you. I know that GU has had discussions with the BIG East. I just don't think it's gonna happen. And I'm ok with that.

IDK what to tell you. I know that GU has had discussions with the BIG East. I just don't think it's gonna happen. And I'm ok with that.
It’s the only move that makes sense I mess the pac 12 or big 12 allow you in just for basketball. The mountain west is just status quo.

What’s funny is that Kentucky was huge favorites over Texas western. Texas western was far more talented though
I don't remember the odds, and I only watched them that one game. They were the better team. There might be blurays out there if you're interested.

It's crazy, UK was getting beat by new thinking before AU found the pointy end of a basketball.

Well you know, that’s just like your opinion
Who moves the needle in the mountain west currently? San Diego st.? Your tv contract would still be well behind the big 6 conferences. I expected more out of Gonzaga fans. Sounds like you are scared of a true conference grind

Who moves the needle in the mountain west currently? San Diego st.? Your tv contract would still be well behind the big 6 conferences. I expected more out of Gonzaga fans. Sounds like you are scared of a true conference grind
I’m not trying to win an argument. You asked your half baked questions and I gave you realistic answers.

Every program is a bad hire or two from struggling in their league.

And even if Butler would make the tourney more regularly in the Horizon, they’d likely get shafted in seeding, as non-dominant midmajors always do.

Every program is a bad hire or two from struggling in their league.

And even if Butler would make the tourney more regularly in the Horizon, they’d likely get shafted in seeding, as non-dominant midmajors always do.
Hasn't happened to Gonzaga

IMO, it's all recruiting now. Few could coach. He made a name for himself and the school. Now he's pulling in the players. Gonna be interesting."

Meaning I think they're just get started.

SO your solution is to put a West coast team , located in Washington, in the Big East? Gonzaga would spend half their season in an airplane....

PAC12, or MWC..

Orjust stay where theay are----play the OOC schedule they do, and do what they have done 4 of the past 6 seasons----Go to the ELite 8 or better.

Hasn't happened to Gonzaga
I haven’t closely followed Gonzaga over the years, but you don’t think some of the past teams were underseeded? Like the 11 seed in 2016, or those late 90s teams that went to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 as 10-12 seeds? Plus some in-between.

I haven’t closely followed Gonzaga over the years, but you don’t think some of the past teams were underseeded? Like the 11 seed in 2016, or those late 90s teams that went to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 as 10-12 seeds? Plus some in-between.
Am I understanding this statement-----Now we are complaining that those GU teams that were 7 seeds, 10,11 or 12 seeds, that went on runs, were actually underseeded, i.e. better than their actual seed?

If so, God damn-----Gonzaga cannot win for losing. They get high seeds b/c they bet up on a shit conference----really not deserving of the 1/2 seeds......To, well they were actually a lot better than the 11 seed they got in 2016.....Or the 7 seed......All the while, being in the same god damn conference.

Can ya'll make up your minds?

Reactions: Villian07
Historically, Gonzaga plays to its seed line. They make some runs as 10+ seeds every once in a while. But I couldn’t name a Gonzaga fan that gets angry over their seeding.

Historically, Gonzaga plays to its seed line. They make some runs as 10+ seeds every once in a while. But I couldn’t name a Gonzaga fan that gets angry over their seeding.

It was a while ago, but it would certainly seem like those late 90s teams were way underseeded. Three years in a row they went to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 as a 10, 10, and 12 seed. Obviously it hasn’t happened as much since they established themselves as a solid program, but after Few leaves, who knows.

Many midmajors have been criminally underseeded. Wichita St has often been underseeded. One year they were 8 on Kenpom and got a 10 seed. Another year they were top 10ish and got a 7. Happens to these programs all the time.

Reactions: Villian07
Am I understanding this statement-----Now we are complaining that those GU teams that were 7 seeds, 10,11 or 12 seeds, that went on runs, were actually underseeded, i.e. better than their actual seed?

If so, God damn-----Gonzaga cannot win for losing. They get high seeds b/c they bet up on a shit conference----really not deserving of the 1/2 seeds......To, well they were actually a lot better than the 11 seed they got in 2016.....Or the 7 seed......All the while, being in the same god damn conference.

Can ya'll make up your minds?
When have I said that their recent teams were overseeded?

ADVERTISEMENT