ADVERTISEMENT

Texas & Oklahoma Want to Join SEC

Prepare thy anus, Beard and Kruger. Bama will have fun beating the shit out of Texas and Oklahoma on the gridiron semi-annually too.

New report says it could happen as early as next season. Jesus.
Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks, ESPN has confirmed.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a Big 12 source believed talks between the SEC and the two schools had been ongoing for more than six months, though SEC member Texas A&M had been left out of the discussions. An SEC source told ESPN's Heather Dinich that it's inaccurate that A&M was left out of the conversation.

The report also said the move could become official in a matter of weeks. A high-level administrator said his understanding of the situation mirrors that timeline.

A Big 12 source told Dinich that neither Texas nor Oklahoma has officially expressed its desire to leave to the rest of the conference membership.

ESPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upward of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.

Big 12 officials held a call Thursday to discuss the league's future, with Texas and Oklahoma absent from the discussion.

If the move becomes reality, the fallout for the rest of college football would be massive, and the administrator believes the larger impact could significantly damage the sport.

Several ACC athletic directors believed that their league would make a push in the next few years to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Notre Dame, which already is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12.

Hell, it might be in the next year or two. How many will each conference have after Texas and Oklahoma move?

SEC - 16
BIG - 14
ACC - 14, 15 if you include ND
PAC - 12

I could see the PAC and BIG picking up a school or two for sure. Assuming the Big 12 is shot.

This may force ND to become a full time member and there's talk the ACC will poach WVU to put the conference at 16 teams.

Why would ark and mizou say no?
I doubt they would. A&M is probably the only school that would. The SEC must feel that Texas and Oklahoma will have enough votes to get in, or it wouldn't have gotten to this point to begin with. This has apparently been in the works for 6 months, and I am sure the first thing the SEC did was reach out to the member schools to make sure Texas and Oklahoma would have enough votes to get in before they wasted any further effort. Only gotta have 10 out of 14 vote yes.

I doubt they would. A&M is probably the only school that would. The SEC must feel that Texas and Oklahoma will have enough votes to get in, or it wouldn't have gotten to this point to begin with. This has apparently been in the works for 6 months, and I am sure the first thing the SEC did was reach out to the member schools to make sure Texas and Oklahoma would have enough votes to get in before they wasted any further effort. Only gotta have 10 out of 14 vote yes.
I agree, but I keep seeing /reading that ark and mizou would say no. Just don't get why.

I agree, but I keep seeing /reading that ark and mizou would say no. Just don't get why.
I obviously have no idea. MU and UT has bad blood, and I work/deal with a lot of Arkansasian's, and they have no interest in playing UT again. Again, I clearly have no idea, and was just thinking if that was the case they'd still need two more no's.

I obviously have no idea. MU and UT has bad blood, and I work/deal with a lot of Arkansasian's, and they have no interest in playing UT again. Again, I clearly have no idea, and was just thinking if that was the case they'd still need two more no's.
Texas does poach a decent amount of talent from Missouri even though 80% of their roster is from Texas.

Hell, it might be in the next year or two. How many will each conference have after Texas and Oklahoma move?

SEC - 16
BIG - 14
ACC - 14, 15 if you include ND
PAC - 12

I could see the PAC and BIG picking up a school or two for sure. Assuming the Big 12 is shot.

ACC is 15 with Notre Dame, and 16 if you include West Virginia. Just makes too much sense for the ACC-West Virginia to have mutual interest, IMO. Can't imagine any conference would want to go beyond 16 teams, that's just perfect symmetry. Also because if you go beyond 16 teams, you worry about getting free loaders that are going to dilute your revenue shares, more than anything else (i.e. Boston College and Vanderbilt).

So, my semi-educated guesses on how these conferences would look:

SEC: 16 with Texas and Oklahoma
ACC: 16 with Notre Dame and West Virginia
Big Ten: 14 (same)
Pac-12: 14 with Oklahoma State and Texas Tech

Football of course runs the show. I think it would be kind of cool if the Pac-12 also went after Gonzaga and Kansas, to give them some basketball power. But... I still honestly don't think the Pac-12 reaches out to any religiously affiliated school. And Kansas football is more questionable than Duke, so they might be on the outside looking in.

TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State would all want to join a power conference, no question. But, would anyone want them? SEC and ACC would kind of be capped with 16 teams. Pac-12 and Big Ten would be the only realistic odds for those five schools. Is their a mutual interest out there? Perhaps. But, if not, maybe put those 5 schools in a conference with UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, BYU, Boise State, and San Diego State. That wouldn't be a power conference, but it'd certainly be better than what the American currently is.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ACC is 15 with Notre Dame, and 16 if you include West Virginia. Just makes too much sense for the ACC-West Virginia to have mutual interest, IMO. Can't imagine any conference would want to go beyond 16 teams, that's just perfect symmetry. Also because if you go beyond 16 teams, you worry about getting free loaders that are going to dilute your revenue shares, more than anything else (i.e. Boston College and Vanderbilt).

So, my semi-educated guesses on how these conferences would look:

SEC: 16 with Texas and Oklahoma
ACC: 16 with Notre Dame and West Virginia
Big Ten: 14 (same)
Pac-12: 14 with Oklahoma State and Texas Tech

Football of course runs the show. I think it would be kind of cool if the Pac-12 also went after Gonzaga and Kansas, to give them some basketball power. But... I still honestly don't think the Pac-12 reaches out to any religiously affiliated school. And Kansas football is more questionable than Duke, so they might be on the outside looking in.

TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State would all want to join a power conference, no question. But, would anyone want them? SEC and ACC would kind of be capped with 16 teams. Pac-12 and Big Ten would be the only realistic odds for those five schools. Is their a mutual interest out there? Perhaps. But, if not, maybe put those 5 schools in a conference with UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, BYU, Boise State, and San Diego State. That wouldn't be a power conference, but it'd certainly be better than what the American currently is.
Maybe Big Ten would add KU and ISU, which would cap them out at 16 as well.

When all the re-alignment talk started happening, most envisioned 16 team conferences and it's taken a bit longer, but that still appears to be where it's headed.

Also with 16 teams, you almost have to go to Four 4 team divisions.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Just spitballing here.

North - UK, UT, VU, MU
South -AU, Bama, Miss. St, Ole Miss
East - UF, UGA, USC, LSU?
West - UT, OU, Arkansas, A&M

Why are 4 team pods better than 8 team divisions? 7 games in division, 2 games cross division, rotating evenly.

East
Bama
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Auburn
Scar
Vandy
Kentucky

West
Texas
OU
LSU
Aggy
Arkie
Ole Miss
Msu
Mizou

Makes the title game (if played) clearer also.

For basketball, home and home in division, rotate 4 cross division, 18 games.

Why are 4 team pods better than 8 team divisions? 7 games in division, 2 games cross division, rotating evenly.

East
Bama
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Auburn
Scar
Vandy
Kentucky

West
Texas
OU
LSU
Aggy
Arkie
Ole Miss
Msu
Mizou

Makes sense, I was just trying to stay away from 10 conference games. Using just 2 cross division would do that.

Makes sense, I was just trying to stay away from 10 conference games. Using just 2 cross division would do that.
That's what I thought, but everywhere, including the SEC network is talking about pods, like you suggested. The pod they suggested had Texas, ou, and the miss schools in one pod, while aggy, lsu, Ark and mizzou were a different pod.

That's what I thought, but everywhere, including the SEC network is talking about pods, like you suggested. The pod they suggested had Texas, ou, and the miss schools in one pod, while aggy, lsu, Ark and mizzou were a different pod.
I was trying to think of a way rivalries could be kept, past and present. LSU is the kicker though. LSU and Ark are rivals, honestly have no idea to make it perfect...with those in mind. Maybe be sure to have them as out of pod game.

I feel like football is going to determine the division/pods. Then we take in OOC rivalries, like UK and UL. Plus, teams need 2 or 3 cupcakes to recover/learn. Then a bye week.

There's a lot to process here, but your idea of keeping the divisions seems like the best way. But, then we have to considered OOD games. Who, how often.etc.

I really don’t see any of the other Big 12 schools getting picked up. Maybe they add a few of the top AAC schools

Uk and kansas should join the acc and we can be the basketball conference and tbe sec will be the football conf. Though that onv doesnt work $$$ wise.

maybe even nova and sparty

Uk and kansas should join the acc and we can be the basketball conference and tbe sec will be the football conf. Though that onv doesnt work $$$ wise.

maybe even nova and sparty
With the coaching changes in the ACC and SEC, I think the SEC is going to be just as strong or stronger than the ACC. And if the SEC brings in Ohio State and Michigan which is rumored it will be stronger. Our football program is starting to come along also. This year our O line is rated #1 in the SEC and rated 3rd in the east. I don't see any advantages going to the ACC.

With the coaching changes in the ACC and SEC, I think the SEC is going to be just as strong or stronger than the ACC. And if the SEC brings in Ohio State and Michigan which is rumored it will be stronger. Our football program is starting to come along also. This year our O line is rated #1 in the SEC and rated 3rd in the east. I don't see any advantages going to the ACC.

Texas and OU joining the SEC will lessen UK chances of making any serious noise in football. UK can't even get in the top tier of the conference with the current schools so what makes you think you'll do that with Texas, OU, Michigan and Ohio St in the SEC? You'll be good but I doubt you'll be in the mix when it comes to consideration for a 12 team playoff.

Texas and OU joining the SEC will lessen UK chances of making any serious noise in football.
That was never going to happen anyway. Best case scenario for UK would be like it was in 2018, 10-3 and in the Citrus Bowl. They will never be able to recruit with the big boys in the SEC on a consistent basis.

While your football program is improving, its not like if this happens your even gonna be any better than middle of the pack. I mean do you honestly think uk football will annually compete with bama, ohio st, clemson, ou, lsu, tex, gerogia, florida, aggies..... your gonna be fighting for 10th place at best most years imo even with the recent uptick as a program. And thats best case scenario, worst case Ur back to losing games to vandy in the annual sec toilet bowl.

Plus ACC will have more basketball bluebloods regardless, as well as what 3-4 other teams with a ship or 2 or 3. But ur right it obv woukd make the sec very strong in basketball.

Last edited:

East
Bama
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Auburn
Scar
Vandy
Kentucky

West
Texas
OU
LSU
Aggy
Arkie
Ole Miss
Msu
Mizou

for FB in a pod system you would play 3 games vs your pod, then 2 games from the other 3 pods for a 9 game schedule
every 4 years you would get a home/away game from the 3 pods you are not in
money, money, money

i doubt they have divisions for BB

Texas and OU joining the SEC will lessen UK chances of making any serious noise in football. UK can't even get in the top tier of the conference with the current schools so what makes you think you'll do that with Texas, OU, Michigan and Ohio St in the SEC? You'll be good but I doubt you'll be in the mix when it comes to consideration for a 12 team playoff.
Probably not football. But basketball you know what UK is best at lol

While your football program is improving, its not like if this happens your even gonna be any better than middle of the pack. I mean do you honestly think uk football will annually compete with bama, ohio st, clemson, ou, lsu, tex, gerogia, florida, aggies..... your gonna be fighting for 10th place at best most years imo even with the recent uptick as a program. And thats best case scenario, worst case Ur back to losing games to vandy in the annual sec toilet bowl.

Plus ACC will have more basketball bluebloods regardless, as well as what 3-4 other teams with a ship or 2 or 3. But ur right it obv woukd make the sec very strong in basketball.
You've got 2 with coaching changes. The sec is killing it in recruiting and transfers. Our football program will competitive, Championships not likely. It helps out basketball tremendously also. The sport we kinda of do well at.

ADVERTISEMENT